No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to choose what fics I read based on author rather than subject. I'm hesitant to step out of my author comfort zone

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Fine... you win... *grumble* ... you people and your rational thoughts...

I'll see how I can contribute to these lists... it's not like I have to go to work any time soon anyway.
    I know that not having a job is stressful and kinda sucky...but I can't help but be a little jealous of you and the freedom you have right now (especially after this week!)....I think I see a sick day in my not-so-distant future....

and with that, I'm off to bed after an emotionally exhausting day...no kids this weekend (they get one weekend a month with their dad) so I should be able to come out and play.
    My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
    sigpic

Comment

Fine... you win... *grumble* ... you people and your rational thoughts...

I'll see how I can contribute to these lists... it's not like I have to go to work any time soon anyway.
      I asked for clarification from a mod regarding slash recs, and was told that no slash recs are allowed on this site because the site owner doesn't want them here. Not even PG. I assume that means femslash as well. So the only rare pairs we'll be allowed to rec here are m/f. The mod said we could compromise by making a slah list somewhere else and giving a link to it here. But no slash/femslash should be linked to on this site. So... Teyla/Kate, amongst others, have just been declared illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
        I tend to choose what fics I read based on author rather than subject. I'm hesitant to step out of my author comfort zone
        Same here...

Then again, I'm not picky about pairing either - I multiship. I do have have my favorites of course, and least favorites, but generally I don't make a fuss what I'm reading. I do have things that I want of course, like good believable writing, well-rounded characters, ...

I know that not having a job is stressful and kinda sucky...
        It was actually more stressing having one these final few months.
        I worked exactly 4 years and 5 months for this company (28th of October 2008 until 28th of February 2013).

...but I can't help but be a little jealous of you and the freedom you have right now (especially after this week!)....I think I see a sick day in my not-so-distant future....
        I need to get my mind back in order before I can go back to work somewhere, although that doesn't mean I'm not looking cause economy isn't kind on the jobmarket at the moment so it's tight everywhere.

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
        I asked for clarification from a mod regarding slash recs, and was told that no slash recs are allowed on this site because the site owner doesn't want them here. Not even PG. I assume that means femslash as well.
        What?!? But HET NC-17 links are allowed?!? Which aren't PG-13 as to the general ruling of this board.

[snipped cause the gay is angry and saying things that will surely bring the modly powers down on her - the word that starts with a B did cross my mind, not that one the other one]

In that regard, the slash relationship threads shouldn't exist either... and yet they do... double standards anyone.

The mod said we could compromise by making a slah list somewhere else and giving a link to it here.
        Isn't that like the same - since that's what these lists do, right - link to a fic?

But no slash/femslash should be linked to on this site. So... Teyla/Kate, amongst others, have just been declared illegal.
        This makes me angry and gets my knickers in a twist, hence the earlier self-censoring.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Same here...
          What?!? But HET NC-17 links are allowed?!? Which aren't PG-13 as to the general ruling of this board.

[snipped cause the gay is angry and saying things that will surely bring the modly powers down on her - the word that starts with a B did cross my mind, not that one the other one]
          Yes, that was my reaction as well. The mod said (I assume I can quote her message here because it pertains to forum rules): There is no slash fic here because Darren doesn't like the genre and since he pays the bills, he makes the rules.
          I think that the slash content should go. What I can see as a compromise is, if you make your list with slash recs, you host it elsewhere but can link to that list. So....I dunno, put the list on a facebook page or somewhere, then you link to that page. that's about the most we can do with slash fic. And it's all slash, be it adult or PG

NC-17 het links are not allowed either, but linking to author page is allowed to get around that rule. However, with slash even this isn't permitted. Because NC-17 het with explicit sexual content and violence is apparently much more family-friendly than PG slash. Go figure.

In that regard, the slash relationship threads shouldn't exist either... and yet they do... double standards anyone.
          That doesn't make sense to me either.

Isn't that like the same - since that's what these lists do, right - link to a fic?
          I think the idea is to make sure the slash fics are as many clicks aways as possible. I saw a mod explaning this somewhere.

This makes me angry and gets my knickers in a twist, hence the earlier self-censoring.
          Same here. One can dislike slash and not be homophobic. However, in this particular case? The reason why slash isn't allowed is pretty clear to me. And if a mod bans me for saying so, so be it.

I don't want to be on a site owned by a person who thinks of slash as if it's some kind of fandom's dirty little secret, and that PG-rated slash is less acceptable than adult het sex and violence. Such a stance is deeply offensive to me. But, seeing as I've already taken the responsibility to maintain a fic list, I will continue to do so (unless I am banned, naturally). I'm not going to start any new lists though.

Comment

You'd think a general forum where all people are welcome, would apply general rules to show the diversity of the fandom.

Comment

You'd think a general forum where all people are welcome, would apply general rules to show the diversity of the fandom.
              well, apparently not all people are welcome here. Or they are welcome as long as they keep quiet about their 'non-standard' preferences. It's how my government justified passing a homophobic law ("We allow you to exist! But don't ever remind us of your existence!"). It's very telling that when a user makes gross homophobic remarks on one of the threads in the Fanfic forum, no mod interferes and tells them to shut up.

I'm not even much of a slash reader, but that's not the point at all. Disliking slash because it doesn't float your boat, thinking it's not canon, being unreceptive to 'slashy' subtext - these are all very valid preferences that do not make one remotely homophobic. However, forbidding even PG-rated slash recs and allowing adult het (even if indirectly)? That's another matter entirely.
              Last edited by Raelis; 01 March 2013, 12:47 AM.

Comment

The issue is closed - I'll keep you in the loop as I send a polite email to Darren.

Comment

The issue is closed - I'll keep you in the loop as I send a polite email to Darren.
                  Ooh, OK. I'm interested as to what he's going to answer. In the meantime, I've deleted all slashy recs from my list.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Hmm... All I'm going to say about the fanfic rec lists and related issue is that it probably would've been a better idea for the people who proposed the idea to have set up their own site to host all the lists and then put out the word on GW, LJ and other fandom hubs asking for volunteers to set up the lists on their site.

Now, to get back to Sparky (and fic!) I may have a fluffy little Sparky fic to post on my LJ a little later today. Stay tuned!
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                      Hmm... All I'm going to say about the fanfic rec lists and related issue is that it probably would've been a better idea for the people who proposed the idea to have set up their own site to host all the lists and then put out the word on GW, LJ and other fandom hubs asking for volunteers to set up the lists on their site.
                      When I suggested that when the first lists started to appear I had to stay out of the Virtual Cooler thread for a few days cause they practically bit my virtual nose off (back then I wasn't aware though that slash fic is illegal material).

I'm too PO'd with GW at the moment to be anything but coherent, however I may have started writing again yesterday -- however current knowledge of GW policy won't allow for this to be posted or linked to here (even though it will have Sparky or so my muse keeps telling me).

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                        Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Now, to get back to Sparky (and fic!) I may have a fluffy little Sparky fic to post on my LJ a little later today. Stay tuned!
                        *dances* Woo hoo. In the meantime, I have some more reading to do.
                        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Just had to chime in here to say I don't understand about the slash fic recs. They have allowed slash pairing threads for years. Oh well, if you do get an answer I'd love to know, even if PM. Thanks. :O
                          sigpic

Comment

I'll be sure to keep you in the loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparks of Atlantis View Post
                              One of ShipperWriter's sigs comes to mind: [ATTACH=CONFIG]37236[/ATTACH]

Speaking of ShipperWriter, has anyone seen her around lately? It feels like she hasn't been around for quite a while and that this thread is missing someone.
                              *waves* Hi, Sparks of Atlantis!!! I do love that sig. It's one of my favorites that I've made!

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                              SW is taking a little break. We do miss her though.
                              I still am:
                              Spoiler:
                              I enjoy fandom but I do not have much self-control or good time management, so I end up spending an inordinate amount of time in fandom to the point I neglect vital RL things. So I'll pop in once in a while, but not near as regular as I used to.

So in other news: I downloaded a free trial version of Sony Vegas Movie Studio 11. Oh dear God. I love what I can do, but it's taking me an insane amount of time to figure everything out! Although, I probably shouldn't be doing it at 11 o'clock at night.

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                                So in other news: I downloaded a free trial version of Sony Vegas Movie Studio 11. Oh dear God. I love what I can do, but it's taking me an insane amount of time to figure everything out! Although, I probably shouldn't be doing it at 11 o'clock at night.
                                Awesomesauce... that program rocks.

Good to see you around still!

Comment

Working...
                                X