Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    RL needs a mute button.
    Oh ... wiser words were never spoken. That, my friend would be wonderful.
    To succeed in life, you need 3 things ... a Wishbone, a Backbone and a Funny Bone

Comment

The woman is all about her stuff and never shows any interest in anyone else's stuff.
      Sounds suspiciously a lot like my BFF, or former BFF, or whatever she is now I don't know. It kinda saddens me though...

OL friends all share a common interest and love talking about it. If you get PO'd at someone, you can just leave or turn it into a joke. There is none of the personality trouble except when you run into someone who is annoying and then you can block them. RL needs a mute button.
      So true.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

oe
        Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Sounds suspiciously a lot like my BFF, or former BFF, or whatever she is now I don't know. It kinda saddens me though...

So true.
        That saddens me too. Life needs to come with an FAQ. But those who need it most probably wouldn't read it.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Life needs to come with an FAQ. But those who need it most probably wouldn't read it.
          Life for Dummies

I'd read it...

Comment

Life for Dummies

I'd read it...
            Read it? Heck, this thread could write it.
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks everybody for making this birthday extra special. I'm glad I brought up the OL vs RL friend issue because I've been thinking about it for a while. In a lot of cases, I think our RL friends become habit. We had something in common with them at one time, which may have changed or faded, and now they are either so much like family we just can't make a break or we don't want to cause drama by breaking off the friendship. In my own case, I know I will never do anything intentionally to hurt my BFF even though she drives me up the wall when we are together. It's not just me because Mr. SR, SR Jr and now Miss M all agree. The woman is all about her stuff and never shows any interest in anyone else's stuff. Prime example that made us all LOL later after she left.

The first time she met Miss M (that's SR Jr's fiancee for all you newbies), it was to see their new house with all the VT football stuff all over the place. BFF looks at Miss M and says "I hate football. Hockey is much more fun." Miss M blinked a few times and offered her a glass of wine. It was just a priceless BFF moment, clueless and without thought.

OL friends all share a common interest and love talking about it. If you get PO'd at someone, you can just leave or turn it into a joke. There is none of the personality trouble except when you run into someone who is annoying and then you can block them. RL needs a mute button.
              Just gotta add to this that Miss M handled the whole thing very well. Sounds like a good woman.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                Just gotta add to this that Miss M handled the whole thing very well. Sounds like a good woman.
                You don't know how lucky I am. But SR Jr would never marry anyone without a sense of humor. And sarcasm to spare.
                sigpic

Comment

Read it? Heck, this thread could write it.
                  Maybe after Atlantis Rising...

Comment

You don't know how lucky I am. But SR Jr would never marry anyone without a sense of humor. And sarcasm to spare.
                    I think I do ... my son got married about a year and a half ago to a lovely young lady with a good head on her shoulders. Fortunately we all love her. Now, if my daughter could just pick some better boyfriends ... my life would be so much better (and hers would be too).
                    To succeed in life, you need 3 things ... a Wishbone, a Backbone and a Funny Bone

Comment

Thanks everybody for making this birthday extra special. I'm glad I brought up the OL vs RL friend issue because I've been thinking about it for a while. In a lot of cases, I think our RL friends become habit. We had something in common with them at one time, which may have changed or faded, and now they are either so much like family we just can't make a break or we don't want to cause drama by breaking off the friendship. In my own case, I know I will never do anything intentionally to hurt my BFF even though she drives me up the wall when we are together. It's not just me because Mr. SR, SR Jr and now Miss M all agree. The woman is all about her stuff and never shows any interest in anyone else's stuff. Prime example that made us all LOL later after she left.
                      I agree with all of this but the bolded part is something that I especially can relate too and understand.

That’s the feeling I have had on and off with my BFF as well, we didn’t speak at all for nearly a year and a half but then I contacted her because I wanted to see if she had any pictures or videos from any of the cons we’ve been too and she did so we decided to meet again and we got the contact back but it haven’t been easy. My BFF’s biggest problem is keeping time, I mean that she’s always late, and not just a little but a lot, even when we’re supposed to meet only a short walk away from her home it’s hard to be a good sport about it when you have to stand outside for sometimes up to an hour but every time I try and tell her she gets offended and then eventually says that she will change yet the next time it’s the same thing. It’s difficult because I don’t have that many RL friends that I can or want to turn one away. Sometimes it feels like you’re stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to some people in your life.

That’s so very true. Another thing I like about being online is that unlike in real life people don’t judge you base on your outward appearance and (after a while) you can get to know people quite well based on who they are inside (well, not everything but some things at least), it is harder to meet new people in real life most of the time.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Soulster View Post
                        I think I do ... my son got married about a year and a half ago to a lovely young lady with a good head on her shoulders. Fortunately we all love her. Now, if my daughter could just pick some better boyfriends ... my life would be so much better (and hers would be too).
                        If you're like me, you breathed a huge sigh of relief because that mother-in-law/daughter-in-law relationship can be a bit tricky. And not only do I love Miss M, I also love her mother. In fact, they realized recently that the two of us are so much alike, they don't stand a chance. Like planning this wedding that keeps changing. Her mom and I are about ready to take over. We could have this thing all ready to go in a week's time.

Originally posted by Brie View Post
                        I agree with all of this but the bolded part is something that I especially can relate too and understand.

That’s the feeling I have had on and off with my BFF as well, we didn’t speak at all for nearly a year and a half but then I contacted her because I wanted to see if she had any pictures or videos from any of the cons we’ve been too and she did so we decided to meet again and we got the contact back but it haven’t been easy. My BFF’s biggest problem is keeping time, I mean that she’s always late, and not just a little but a lot, even when we’re supposed to meet only a short walk away from her home it’s hard to be a good sport about it when you have to stand outside for sometimes up to an hour but every time I try and tell her she gets offended and then eventually says that she will change yet the next time it’s the same thing. It’s difficult because I don’t have that many RL friends that I can or want to turn one away. Sometimes it feels like you’re stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to some people in your life.

That’s so very true. Another thing I like about being online is that unlike in real life people don’t judge you base on your outward appearance and (after a while) you can get to know people quite well based on who they are inside (well, not everything but some things at least), it is harder to meet new people in real life most of the time.
                        Online life is not without its drama, as you well know. But here you have to behave in some way that breaks the rules, annoys people or just generally doesn't follow the spirit of the forum to get rejected. In real life, as you said, it's sometimes that people don't like how you look for some reason. I think personality comes out in how you post though. I know I write with a Southern slant. LOL
                        sigpic

Comment

I know I write with a Southern slant.
                          is that like a regional accent?

You do get to know personalities and the person *inside* when you know folks online. Looks don't matter. I've formed mental images of certain individuals - some of which are surprisingly accurate, others are completely off-base, in a physical sense. A lot of friends I interact with here on GW, I've made little personal pixel images of - which I've shared. Collections here It's always done with a lot of love. (I have NEVER made an image of someone I don't like!)
                          sigpic

Comment

*phew* all caught up! Had SEVEN kids here for a junk food picnic/sleepover last night...they had a blast. Boys are all tucked in and sound asleep now I'm loving the time i get with them, I've really missed them.

There were a lot of good points made here both about the hints at ships in Sunday and the hug in The Siege...for a while I thought I'd have more to add but then I finished catching up and as usual don't. Except to say that I agree with Pearl and offended is NOT one of the reactions I detected from John when Elizabeth hugged him....bewildered maybe but not offended.

As for the Existentialism conversation...I'm starting to think I wasted my money going to college and that I'm not quite as smart as I thought I was because I don't get it...at all. (I even spelled it wrong and had to use spell check to fix it...) I'm going to reread that post and see if I have anything intelligent I can add, but don't hold your breath...

Brie I'm glad you enjoyed the fic

I might be here for the postathon tomorrow...depends on how long it takes to get my laundry done

oh and SR my own sisters didn't even text or call on my birthday, let alone do anything for me and they live a 5 minute walk away (and never hesitate to call when they need to borrow money or need a free babysitter). I too have better, more stable and reliable relationships with my OL friends than my RL friends.
                            My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                            sigpic

Comment

A little late but, Happy Birthday, Southern Red!!!!!!

The first time she met Miss M (that's SR Jr's fiancee for all you newbies), it was to see their new house with all the VT football stuff all over the place. BFF looks at Miss M and says "I hate football. Hockey is much more fun." Miss M blinked a few times and offered her a glass of wine. It was just a priceless BFF moment, clueless and without thought.

I have too give Miss M a lot of credit. I know I would have stuck my foot in my mouth in her spot.

RL REALLY needs a mute button.
                              I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Happy (somewhat belated) Birthday, SR!

sigpic
                                Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Working...
                                X