Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparks of Atlantis View Post
    I've always believed that it was fate that Rachel got pregnant in Season 4. The writers seemed so set on bringing Sheyla on-screen in Season 4, but the fact that Rachel got pregnant just seemed to mean that Sheyla was never meant to be. If the writers hadn't held up their noses so high and acted as if the fans' opinions didn't matter, they might have received this message and also realized that writing Elizabeth off had been the wrong decision. They didn't necessarily have to acknowledge that Sparky was the OTP, just that Elizabeth should have stayed. Even if they had realized this very late in the season, they could still have had the team mount a rescue mission and bring her back. We would have been happy that we got to see more of Sparky, even if the writers weren't intentionally writing it, and it would have done John's character a lot of justice.
    I agree. As much as I would like to have seen Sparky to be a real canon couple, I would at least have felt happy just with the fact of having Elizabeth still there, even if in just the way both her and John had been on all the previous seasons, since they didn’t want to pair them.

Originally posted by Royal_Nonesuch View Post
    All this is a long winded way of saying that I started to think about Shep/Weir again. It is certainly not my first ship, but I think it will probably always be my favorite, or at least very near the top. It;s good to be back for a while.
    Welcome back. I am new here, but like you I also love John and Elizabeth.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    All that may very well be true, but I'm of the mind that they planned to bring Carson back all along and just used the fans for publicity. I base that on the fact that the Elizabeth fans made just as big a fuss as his fans did and got roundly ignored.
    But I believe in the case of Elizabeth things were a little bit different, I mean the presence of Elizabeth would definitely interfere with their plans of bringing back Sheyla, and that’s why they had to cut her off.

Originally posted by Annelantis View Post
    But I remember TPTW going on about how they were bringing Carson back for the fans but they never made a peep about Elizabeth. Now, don't get me wrong we loved Carson in this house but I asked my husband the other day that if he had the choice of having Beckett or Weir back he agreed and said he would rather Weir.
    I totally understand you. I also love Carson, but if I had to choose I would definitely have preferred to bring Elizabeth back instead of Carson.

Originally posted by Annelantis View Post
    I know that so much time has now passed since the show ended but the fact that people are still writing about it now makes me wonder... why couldn't they do it? I think the audience would be there. This thread proves it. I would totally be up for it if they were to rectify their mistakes.
    The problem is the writers seemed to always be against the Sparky fans wishes, since in a way we all went against their wishes of having John and Teyla as the main pair.

Maybe when they get around to making an Atlantis movie the writers and producers will have got their collective heads out of their posterior and bring back Torri and give us some Sparky!
    How I wish that would come true!!!!
    sigpic
    sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
      But I believe in the case of Elizabeth things were a little bit different, I mean the presence of Elizabeth would definitely interfere with their plans of bringing back Sheyla, and that’s why they had to cut her off.

The problem is the writers seemed to always be against the Sparky fans wishes, since in a way we all went against their wishes of having John and Teyla as the main pair.
      While it is quite natural for us Shippers to look at everything in light of our ship, I don't think that came into consideration with TPTB. From everything they have said, they never even thought of ship in relation to Sparky, so they didn't expect any reaction from the fans when it didn't happen. It was just completely not on their minds one way or another. The few times when fans brought it to their attention, they seemed to laugh it off. During S2-3, they allowed it to be in the background as a tease, but they never had any intention of going any further with it. They were going to drag the Sheyla ship out until the bitter end also. Especially after S4 didn't work out for them. I think in S6 they would have lost Kanaan and moved on with it in spite of its unpopularity. Most fans didn't really want any ship at all.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

That’s why I still agree that having kept things, in seasons 4 and 5, as they were in the previous seasons would have been the best thing; it would have pleased everyone, IMO.
        sigpic
        sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

good afternoon sparkies!

i find myself unexpectedly child-less today - the boys seem to have caught that icky flu thing and stayed with their dad(can't wait til next weekend when they'll have their own beds in their own room in my apartment and can come over even if they are sick). i went out last night since i could and am paying for it now lol

anyone know of anywhere i might find eps of SGA online so that i can join the postathon and watch with you all today?
          My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks mcuh for that info. I didn't realize the sets were gone, that is actually pretty sad. I see what JM is saying there, but I have to believe there are ways to get this stuff done that are financially feasible.

I've been out of the lop for a long time, but I heard an interview with Joe Flanigan recently where he started to dish a little. It sounds like things weren't great between the producers/writers and the cast. Has there been more of that coming out lately?

Thanks a lot
            Royal
            I recognize your name from reading the thread in older days. Welcome back.

While it is quite natural for us Shippers to look at everything in light of our ship, I don't think that came into consideration with TPTB. From everything they have said, they never even thought of ship in relation to Sparky, so they didn't expect any reaction from the fans when it didn't happen. It was just completely not on their minds one way or another. The few times when fans brought it to their attention, they seemed to laugh it off. During S2-3, they allowed it to be in the background as a tease, but they never had any intention of going any further with it. They were going to drag the Sheyla ship out until the bitter end also. Especially after S4 didn't work out for them. I think in S6 they would have lost Kanaan and moved on with it in spite of its unpopularity. Most fans didn't really want any ship at all.

Well, look at Jack and Sam. They never got them together officially. So maybe they would have done that with John/Teyla as well. Anyway, another good reason why it's just as well SGA is over and didn't go beyond season 5.

Comment

S-minus 1 hour to the Tao of Rodney post-a-thon!

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
              Thanks! Command Dynamics is indeed an excellent site. And it has more than a thousand stories!

I agree about FanFiction.net. Thi site does have some gems, but for the most part I try to avoid it, unless something is specifically recced to me.

I wish there were more Sparky fics on Archive of Our Own - I find this fic depository very user-friendly,and the quality of writing over there is overall pretty high (much better than ff.net. anyway). There are some Sparky writers there, but not enough for my liking.
              There's also Wraithbait, a SGA-centric fanfic archive. Quite a lot of the oldies but goodies are here; there's also a number of fics that aren't on Command Dynamics or ff.net.

Any new show decisions will be made by MGM, and it's doubtful the original writers, producers, etc will be involved. These kinds of show biz decisions rely very little on fan opinion. They will go by whether they think it is marketable and what the general trends are at the time. It's almost certain they would go with a younger cast, and either re-imagine the concept by going back to the beginning or push it into the future. I doubt we'll ever see the original cast again, except maybe McKay or some of the characters from SG-1. They don't think they did anything wrong and never will. They have been very dismissive of the online fanbase from the very beginning.
              Indeed. And to be honest, if there's a new Stargate show, I think it more likely that it could be a reboot. Rebooting old franchises seems to be the "in" thing these days.

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
              That’s why I still agree that having kept things, in seasons 4 and 5, as they were in the previous seasons would have been the best thing; it would have pleased everyone, IMO.
              Yeah, the "something for everyone" approach of S1-3 was much more appealing to people.
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

S-minus 30 minutes to the Tao of Rodney post-a-thon!
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I'm here. My DVD player is all set up.

My favorite episode.

Personal space? What's that?

Comment

Comment

SQUEE! Bring on the Tao pic spam!

Comment

Many great (and some funny) Sparky pics from 'TOR'

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

S-minus 10 minutes!

Comment

Originally posted by Brie View Post
                                http://i45.tinypic.com/optxcp.jpg
                                I LOVE that scene. Rodney just can't get enough of his food!

Comment

Working...
                                X