Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annelantis View Post
    I, however, do feel that I can never fully comment on it until I have watched the rest as my husband has done - he says it got a lot better after I stopped watching. So I will go back one day and finish it. Perhaps I would have been more willing if the rumours of bringing Weir into SGU had come to pass.
    I didn't know about this rumours.
    sigpic
    sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      You people are killing me. I weep for you. Mr. SR and I have each read all of the books at least twice. I took a class in college in "Science Fiction and Fantasy" that had me read and write papers on the trilogy. Heaven. I was in heaven. I wrote about the Ents, and the professor said I displayed "Elven logic." I don't think that was meant as a compliment, but I can't be sure. Oh, and I read The Hobbit to SR Jr. when he was little and he has also read the trilogy several times.

That said, both my men read those long Fantasy epics like the Wheel of Time series, which I tried but could only get through about 3 of the books before giving up. So, I understand if you don't go for that kind of stuff, you won't like it.

Now tell me what do you guys like to read? It better not be Twilight.
      I have a bit of an eclectic reading range. I have all the Harry Potter books which I love. I love my Sci-Fi TV tie-ins like Star Trek (Next Gen and Voyager), Quantum Leap, Supernatural and of course, SGA. I recently read the Millenium Trilogy for a second time. I have to be honest though, I am totally reading loads of FanFic.

BTW: I have never read any Twilight books (and I don't plan to either). I haven't read any LOTR either bur I do love the movies.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
        I won't be around for the post-a-thon. Poor Kolya, though. He deserved better than dying spread out like a starfish in the B plot of a second Lucius storyline.
        I completely agree. I missed the postathon but Irresponsible is not my favourite episode. Though I will say that i do like Irresistable. There are some hilarious moments in it (particularly the bit where Carson cries) but there was also the great bit where John got jealous when he saw Elizabeth with Lucius. Anyway, I am off the point. Kolya deserved to die, there is no doubt about it, he was evil. But to die the way he did was completely ridiculous and selling him short. It should have been a huge epic two parter in which he threatened Elizabeth or someone else and John would finally kill him. This should not have happened - but, hey, who are we to moan? Oh, yeah, just the people who spent years watching!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
          Well I have been thinking if I should post this here or not, and I decided to post it. I mean it is something old, but it was also something I had never seen before, so I am wondering if someone in here also didn’t watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IntF0YX-mXY

Anyway, this link is from a video that is part of the behind the scenes, I am guessing, made after season one of SGA. They ask a few interesting questions in it,
          Spoiler:
          such as when they ask Joe with whom he thinks John is going to hook up, Teyla or Dr. Weir?!!!! And they also ask Torri if she will fight Teyla over John’s love?!!!! I know this is old and we all now what ended up happening, but never the less I found it interesting.

I hadn't seen that before...i watched both this clip and the clip after and lol'd through most of it cuz they're just so fun...and hee i like Torri's suggestion of what would happen if Teyla and Elizabeth fought for John....

Makes me even more anxious to get moved and get my DVDs out of storage! I miss SG1 and SGA!!!!
          My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
          sigpic

Comment

Eeeep, I feel really bad for being away so long, but life got in the way.

Anyhoo, what did I miss? Anything important?

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
              Is it me or is Elizabeth checking out John's backside in this pic?
              I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                Pretty much, yes. One of the things I've always liked about Stargate in general is how they took stories we today think of as myths and legends and recast them in the guise of being "alien visitations" and such. Rather fun.
                That it is. Heck every time I watch Ancient Aliens on the History Channel, I always wonder how whatever they are talking about could be spun into a Stargate plotline.
                I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
                  Well I have been thinking if I should post this here or not, and I decided to post it. I mean it is something old, but it was also something I had never seen before, so I am wondering if someone in here also didn’t watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IntF0YX-mXY

Anyway, this link is from a video that is part of the behind the scenes, I am guessing, made after season one of SGA. They ask a few interesting questions in it,
                  Spoiler:
                  such as when they ask Joe with whom he thinks John is going to hook up, Teyla or Dr. Weir?!!!! And they also ask Torri if she will fight Teyla over John’s love?!!!! I know this is old and we all now what ended up happening, but never the less I found it interesting.
                  Thanks for this video! I absolutely love behind the scenes clips, and I hadn't seen this one before. I, too, was very surprised that those questions were actually asked in a video like this. Not to mention that Torri looks absolutely adorable in this video.

Let me give it a try, to see if I got it right. I think we can say that air can pass threw the personal shield but things that are solid or liquid can not, but if the space around the shield is deprived from air, such as in the case of having water around it or soil like Kolya explained, then the only air the person who will be using the shield will have will be, like SK said, the air that might still be left inside the shield, between the shield and the skin, so if the air inside the shield runs out, and if there isn’t any air around/outside the shield, to enter inside the shield, then the person inside the shield will not be able to receive the air from outside the shield, since the air was replaced by water or soil and will then suffocate. Did I say it right, or is my theory totally wrong?
                  I think the more we try to make sense of this, the more we'll tear our hair out. The logistics behind the personal shield are just messed up, in my opinion. "Hide and Seek" was one of the earliest episodes in Season 1, so I think that the writers were still trying to get a general sense of how to characterize Ancient technology. I personally don't think it made any sense that Rodney wasn't able to eat or drink anything when he had the shield on; that was just so we could laugh at and pity him. As for "Irresponsible," well, I keep wondering not about why Lucius wasn't able to breathe when his head was dunked underwater, but about how it was possible for one of Koyla's soldiers to grab his head and dunk him underwater in the first place. If the shield functions so that nothing can come in contact with the person who is wearing it, then he should have been untouchable. Maybe we should just accept that this was a slip-up on TPTW's part and save ourselves from getting a massive headache.
                  sigpic
                  Please visit sga-rising.com for a Season 6 of Stargate: Atlantis
                  View my projects on FF.net || AO3 || YouTube

(Formerly known as Sparks of Atlantis)

Comment

See now that's what I was thinking too. I thought the way the coffee Rodney poured on himself in H&S ran right off, that water would do the same thing when Lucius was shoved into the barrel. Air, obviously was intended to get through. Still confused. Somebody needs to probably draw me a picture. I'm a visual learner.
                    I haven't looked at the technical specs that are no doubt in the GW omnipedia. Rest assured there is an argument about it going on somewhere

The conceit I alluded to was that if it worked the same way as the Atlantis shield did/does, then he would have died, regardless of whether he was in the water. It's my understanding that when the city shield is raised, life support kicks in, because the shield effectively cuts them off from the outside environment (and therefore, a replenishing supply of oxygen). So whether or not there was a 'gap' between his body and the shield would be irrelevant, as there would only be a finite amount of air trapped inside when the shield was activated. But......

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                    Gravity. Rodney's being dunked head/face first into a barrel of water. The water's already in the barrel, so it can't just run off onto the ground like the coffee could. It totally surrounds his head/face. I suppose some air could possibly get through the shield from the parts of him that's still out of the water, but that would depend on how "skin tight" the shield is, or if there's enough of a gap, an "air pocket," if you will, between the shield and his skin/clothes that would allow air to pass up his exposed neck and get to his face even while it's surrounded by water pressing in on the shield. Or something like that.

I can't draw. At least, not well enough.
                    ....if we're to assume that there is an ability to breathe indefinitely with the shield activated, then one could reasonably assume that at the very least, oxygen can pass through the shield. This would, in theory, still be possible underwater as it could filter it from the H20 (extremely unlikely though, but whatever, controllable wormholes through space as a means of travel.....). This would also explain why Rodney passed out during Hide and Seek - the creature smothered him and he ran out of oxygen. Another possibility is that the mouth section allows for (all) air to pass through, but this creates a serious weakness - a mouth shot with a projectile weapon would kill, and an energy shot anywhere on the shield would pass through the mouthpiece and kill the wearer.

The more likely explanation is that we aren't meant to think about whether or not he can breathe, or how he can breathe, and just take it on faith that he can

I hink I have to agree. I have been reading with interest everyone's opinions on the three incarnations of the Stargate Franchise. I watched SG-1 from the beginning, lost track after a couple of years and then went back. I also watched Atlantis from the beginning. I was wary of SGU, mainly becaue I was upset because Atlantis had been cancelled to make way for it. when I heard Robert Carlyle was in it I made up my mind to give it a good go.

So I watched the first season and the first couple of the second. I have not finished it - although, for completeness' sake I will one day soon.

SGU was very different from the others which I do not mind per se, my problem came with the obvious fact that it was trying to emulate Battlestar Galactica. It was also a bit too on the "realistic" side - if you know what I mean. None of the characters particularly appealed to me either apart from Eli. It was definitely my least favourite of the three shows.

I, however, do feel that I can never fully comment on it until I have watched the rest as my husband has done - he says it got a lot better after I stopped watching. So I will go back one day and finish it. Perhaps I would have been more willing if the rumours of bringing Weir into SGU had come to pass.

Huh? That was a rumour? I haven't heard that one before. It would certainly indicate that she was dead, as then she'd be able to be conjured up via the Destiny's hallucination subroutine
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                      I haven't looked at the technical specs that are no doubt in the GW omnipedia. Rest assured there is an argument about it going on somewhere

The conceit I alluded to was that if it worked the same way as the Atlantis shield did/does, then he would have died, regardless of whether he was in the water. It's my understanding that when the city shield is raised, life support kicks in, because the shield effectively cuts them off from the outside environment (and therefore, a replenishing supply of oxygen). So whether or not there was a 'gap' between his body and the shield would be irrelevant, as there would only be a finite amount of air trapped inside when the shield was activated. But......

....if we're to assume that there is an ability to breathe indefinitely with the shield activated, then one could reasonably assume that at the very least, oxygen can pass through the shield. This would, in theory, still be possible underwater as it could filter it from the H20 (extremely unlikely though, but whatever, controllable wormholes through space as a means of travel.....). This would also explain why Rodney passed out during Hide and Seek - the creature smothered him and he ran out of oxygen. Another possibility is that the mouth section allows for (all) air to pass through, but this creates a serious weakness - a mouth shot with a projectile weapon would kill, and an energy shot anywhere on the shield would pass through the mouthpiece and kill the wearer.

The more likely explanation is that we aren't meant to think about whether or not he can breathe, or how he can breathe, and just take it on faith that he can

Huh? That was a rumour? I haven't heard that one before. It would certainly indicate that she was dead, as then she'd be able to be conjured up via the Destiny's hallucination subroutine

Yeah, I'm not sure how they would have done it or even if it was true. It was just something I heard. You know what it's like, rumours fly around - some might be tru but most probably aren't. I don't know what I would have thought had it happened though. I didn't even watch the rest of season two when I knew McKay was going to be in an episode - and I love mcKay as well - so that just shows how invested I wasn't.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                        Is it me or is Elizabeth checking out John's backside in this pic?
                        Who isn't?
                        sigpic

Comment

Who isn't?
                          Me.

Anyhoodle - my body has decided to go on strike, and thus here I am ... dead as a doornail. My doctor gave me prescription for vitamins - A to Z and a whole of B's in between.

I've been ill for 3 weeks (starting around christmas and ending about a week ago) - my body obviously doesn't agree with me not taking the appropriate time to fully heal.

So, please entertain the lemming!
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Sparks of Atlantis View Post
                            Thanks for this video! I absolutely love behind the scenes clips, and I hadn't seen this one before. I, too, was very surprised that those questions were actually asked in a video like this. Not to mention that Torri looks absolutely adorable in this video.
                            That whole series of vids is great. It's worth noting too that this special was done in S1. So that means the questions about Sparky started up early on. There is an adorable moment in one of them when Joe is being interviewed and he gets a call from his wife. We learn that he calls her "Sweetie", which still continues to this day. I just love that about him.

I think the more we try to make sense of this, the more we'll tear our hair out. The logistics behind the personal shield are just messed up, in my opinion. "Hide and Seek" was one of the earliest episodes in Season 1, so I think that the writers were still trying to get a general sense of how to characterize Ancient technology. I personally don't think it made any sense that Rodney wasn't able to eat or drink anything when he had the shield on; that was just so we could laugh at and pity him. As for "Irresponsible," well, I keep wondering not about why Lucius wasn't able to breathe when his head was dunked underwater, but about how it was possible for one of Koyla's soldiers to grab his head and dunk him underwater in the first place. If the shield functions so that nothing can come in contact with the person who is wearing it, then he should have been untouchable. Maybe we should just accept that this was a slip-up on TPTW's part and save ourselves from getting a massive headache.

Hadn't thought about why they were able to grab his head, but you're right. I'll just chalk it up to writer incompetence as usual.
                            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

There is an adorable moment in one of them when Joe is being interviewed and he gets a call from his wife. We learn that he calls her "Sweetie", which still continues to this day.
                              That's what River Song calls the Doctor - "Hello sweetie!" ...

Yeah, different association with the word sweetie... dead as a doornail, remember. Brain too.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I have to be honest though, I am totally reading loads of FanFic.
                                Me too, i just love to read them now so much. My favourites are always the ones that are related with Elizabeth’s return to Atlantis.

I completely agree. I missed the postathon but Irresponsible is not my favourite episode. Though I will say that i do like Irresistable. There are some hilarious moments in it (particularly the bit where Carson cries) but there was also the great bit where John got jealous when he saw Elizabeth with Lucius. Anyway, I am off the point.
                                I have some episodes that i dislike more than others, but i never the less try to watch them, well maybe not as often as the ones i really like, but i try to watch, because every time i watch them i always find a new detail, so it ends up being worth it.

Kolya deserved to die, there is no doubt about it, he was evil. But to die the way he did was completely ridiculous and selling him short. It should have been a huge epic two parter in which he threatened Elizabeth or someone else and John would finally kill him. This should not have happened - but, hey, who are we to moan? Oh, yeah, just the people who spent years watching!
                                I agree, Kolya was supposed to be one of the big/important villans and the way he died ended up not making justice (in the lack for a better word) to the importance of the character, he should never have died on such a ridiculous episode. Wouldn’t that have been great if Kolya would have died in another epic similar to The Storm/The Eye?!!! I would have loved it!!!

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
                                I hadn't seen that before...i watched both this clip and the clip after and lol'd through most of it cuz they're just so fun...and hee i like Torri's suggestion of what would happen if Teyla and Elizabeth fought for John....
                                Yeah, Torri is always so funny!

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                                That it is. Heck every time I watch Ancient Aliens on the History Channel, I always wonder how whatever they are talking about could be spun into a Stargate plotline.
                                Oh, i am the same, i always feel like i am watching an episode of Stargate when i watch it. LOL.

And in what relates the shield subject. Well i remembered another flaw. I think in “Hide and Seek” it is said that the shield can only be used by the person who activates it, so if that’s the case how come the person who activated the personal shield for Lucius to wear was able to do it? And how come John was able to wear it too.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                                Another possibility is that the mouth section allows for (all) air to pass through, but this creates a serious weakness - a mouth shot with a projectile weapon would kill, and an energy shot anywhere on the shield would pass through the mouthpiece and kill the wearer.
                                Definitely a serious weakness because that will mean that a poisonous gas would always be able to pass by the personal shield and kill the wearer.
                                sigpic
                                sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Working...
                                X