Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brie View Post
    I still think that they should have had the ending actually be on Atlantis and have John tell Liz that Kolya, their worse (the two of them) nightmare, was dead, I think it would have been a great scene.
    I agree, the scene would definitely have been a great one. Another balcony scene perhaps.
    sigpic
    sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      Poor Lucius... NOT! Hope he gets a nice bruise from that shin kick.
      Haha, in my mind he got kicked someplace else, though preferably by a grown man, with steel toe boots.
      sigpic

Comment

Okay folks. We made it through and it wasn't as bad as I remembered thanks to the nice John moments.

Mr. SR is watching a movie downstairs, so I'm gonna wander down and see what he's up to. Have a nice rest of the day.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Thus ends another cracktastic post-a-thon. And we all survived!
          barely, LOL
          sigpic
          sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
            Me too because we never got to see her reaction. Fail.
            Me three. It just wasn't right that Lizzeh was barely in the episode where Kolya died.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Haha, in my mind he got kicked someplace else, though preferably by a grown man, with steel toe boots.
              Wow!!! LOL
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
                Wow!!! LOL
                I know, I know I don’t know where those things come from sometimes *lol*

Well, this was fun, now I’m off to bed but I’ll see you all soon.
                sigpic

Comment

That's a good eclectic mix. You are forgiven for any LOTR related transgressions.

I think you will find that your son is a bit young for Of Mice and Men. Maybe steer him toward things with a vocabulary and plot more on his level. Take a look at the Newberry Award list for some books that might interest him. It is hard to keep on top of an advanced reader. Their little minds get way ahead of their maturity level. I've found that the Newberry books are very well-written and age appropriate. Yay for him.

yay!

Thanks for the recommendations for Andrew...I'll check out the list and see what I can find that might interest him. He says he's seen a movie adaptation of "Of Mice and Men" and knows what happens, but I'm still hesitant, especially until I have a chance to read it. My niece has also always been an advanced reader and my sister and I have always pre-read anything she wanted to read (still do even though she's 13 now but now it's more just because we like to read too and will read a cereal box if that's the only thing with words on it in the room). Looks like it's time to start doing that for my boy too! (proud mama here, that's for sure!)
                  My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
                    yay!

Thanks for the recommendations for Andrew...I'll check out the list and see what I can find that might interest him. He says he's seen a movie adaptation of "Of Mice and Men" and knows what happens, but I'm still hesitant, especially until I have a chance to read it. My niece has also always been an advanced reader and my sister and I have always pre-read anything she wanted to read (still do even though she's 13 now but now it's more just because we like to read too and will read a cereal box if that's the only thing with words on it in the room). Looks like it's time to start doing that for my boy too! (proud mama here, that's for sure!)
                    I can't vouch for anything on the Newberry list written in the last few years, and I know the earlier ones up to the late 80's are just wonderful. As an assignment in my Children's Lit class for college, we had to read all of them up to that point. Yes, all of them. Every kid has got to read The Wrinkle in Time series and The Dark Is Rising series. Some of these books would even interest adults. I'm glad you pre-read. You never know what they're going to stumble into these days.
                    sigpic

Comment

I can't vouch for anything on the Newberry list written in the last few years, and I know the earlier ones up to the late 80's are just wonderful. As an assignment in my Children's Lit class for college, we had to read all of them up to that point. Yes, all of them. Every kid has got to read The Wrinkle in Time series and The Dark Is Rising series. Some of these books would even interest adults. I'm glad you pre-read. You never know what they're going to stumble into these days.
                      He's read "A Wrinkle in Time". I've read it three times and still don't quite get it...he and my niece have tried to explain it to me too. I'm hopeless! LOL

The kids know that if they read anything that they have questions about that they can come to us and ask and will get honest, age-appropriate answers. And they know we've read the books and can explain anything that needs to be explained too. I love sharing words with my babies
                      My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
                        He's read "A Wrinkle in Time". I've read it three times and still don't quite get it...he and my niece have tried to explain it to me too. I'm hopeless! LOL

The kids know that if they read anything that they have questions about that they can come to us and ask and will get honest, age-appropriate answers. And they know we've read the books and can explain anything that needs to be explained too. I love sharing words with my babies
                        The "tesseract" is like wormhole travel. Easy peasy. You're a good mommy.
                        sigpic

Comment

The "tesseract" is like wormhole travel. Easy peasy. You're a good mommy.
                          wormhole travel confuses me a bit too...i started watching SG1 because RDA is awesome and AT is cute! lol

thanks
                          sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Me neither. Usually when someone leaves a show, I wonder what they did to get fired, if they are pregnant, or if it's some other reason. I would have thought that about Torri. I have friends who watched it but never went online. The husband in particular is a huge Sci Fi fan and they used to eat popcorn and have "SciFi friday" back in the day, She would email me and ask questions in S4-5 about what the hell was happening and tell me how mad her husband was. So, if that was a typical reaction, I'm thinking the casual fans weren't happy for the most part.
                              That's usually what I think too (pregnancy, 'creative differences' or somesuch...). If Torri had not come back at all in s4 (if Weir had died in FS) I wouldn't have had any reason to investigate further.

I actually liked the first few seasons. Loved Brian and Stewie, but they just got too vulgar, even for Mr. SR and he can tolerate a lot. So, we stopped a few years ago. Same goes for South Park, which JF said recently is his favorite show. LOL
                              I generally gloss over it if it's too vulgar. There's one 'classic' family guy scene involving vomiting that I've always found to be a little crass.

All you people who don't like LOTR are dead to me. Just sayin'. I've been a fan of Tolkien since high school, when along with my nerdy friends read the books and wrote "Frodo lives" on our notebooks to annoy and confuse the jocks. We've waited lo these many years for a good movie treatment, and now we are in fantasy nerd heaven. We never thought we'd have to wait until we qualified for the senior discount.
                              I wouldn't say I don't like it, just that I've never watched it (too long by far). The first one (FOTR??) was on the telly a couple of weekends ago. I saw 5-10 minutes, but couldn't take Elijah Wood's voice seriously. Not to mention there was this weird vibe between him and the wizard

Those are amazing Nolamom and they would showed just what would have brought some greatness to that episode.

I really like Vala, she was a great addition to the last seasons.
                              I resented her coming on board initially, but I think it was worthwhile, and having five members on the team actually made sense from a production standpoint - they could drop one in any ep and it didn't affect the story. And as much as I love Carter, I don't think it was worth keeping her there for s9/10 (on the team), as they clearly didn't know what to do with her, and they (TPTW) said as much at the time.

I especially liked a scene (that also really surprised me) and that was a scene with Sam and Vala in Landry’s office and for some reason he wasn’t there but Sam still felt uncomfortable so she sat down in one of the chairs in front of the desk but Vala being Vala sat down in the commanders chair behind the desk and says something like “This place should really have a woman in charge” and Sam replies “It did, back when Dr. Elizabeth Weir was in charge of the SGC” (it’s been a while since I saw those episodes of SG-1 so I don’t remember exactly what they said) but I was really surprised that they mentioned Elizabeth in that scene especially since they were so against bring her up on SGA later on.
                              I appreciated the reference but the scene itself was a little silly. I wanted to yell "you're a Lieutenant Colonel in the USAF, in (acting) command of the most secret facility on the planet, sit in the damned chair!!" If we're to believe that she's that timid about that sort of thing after all these years - certainly, her pilot/gulf backstory would suggest otherwise - then it doesn't say much for her ability as an officer.

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

Perhaps, but the bit about Atlantis being on the moon comes direct from pages Mallozzi actually posted on his blog back in the day. So no distortion there.
                              I was meaning all that info came out well afterwards, when they'd altered it to suit the different circumstances. There's nothing to say they would have gone with exactly that scenario if they went straight into production for s6 - for example they may have nixed the moon idea and simply taken off from the bay (which would mean that most of their systems still needed fixing and they would have arrived in Pegasus with very little power). Or nixed Carter due to AT's scheduling

Maybe not mythological, but certainly classical. Plato, in his socio-political dialogue "Critias", ties the story of Atlantis (which Plato may or may not have invented; it's the first recorded mention of it) into Greek mythology.
                              I quite liked how they tied that in, but I think that was pretty much the only time they did something like that, wasn't it? SG-1 tied that sort of stuff into the earlier episodes (Seth, Ra, Apophis etc all had their mythological backstories). Mind you, tying anything else into Atlantis would have been difficult

You people are killing me. I weep for you. Mr. SR and I have each read all of the books at least twice. I took a class in college in "Science Fiction and Fantasy" that had me read and write papers on the trilogy. Heaven. I was in heaven. I wrote about the Ents, and the professor said I displayed "Elven logic." I don't think that was meant as a compliment, but I can't be sure. Oh, and I read The Hobbit to SR Jr. when he was little and he has also read the trilogy several times.

That said, both my men read those long Fantasy epics like the Wheel of Time series, which I tried but could only get through about 3 of the books before giving up. So, I understand if you don't go for that kind of stuff, you won't like it.

Now tell me what do you guys like to read? It better not be Twilight.
                              What makes you think I can read? I just use the audio feature on my laptop

I really liked the Ori plot as well, I thought it was interesting and a great way to get back to the story of the ancient in the SG-1 universe. I did miss Jack in the last two seasons though (even if I liked Cameron), that was the down side.
                              Well don't go on the s9/10 critiques and contemplations thread then. Cam is dirt there and can do nothing right :s I confess to not liking him initially (most of that was down to the overhaul of the show in general, his OTT introduction, and Carter essentially taking a demotion to being on 'his' team) but I outgrew that. Much like with Keller, altering a few scenes here and there in the introduction phase would have made a world of difference

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                              I always liked reading, but I've also found it very hard to get through books. It usually takes me a long time. Although how fast I can get through them can vary dramatically. I remember one time it took me 3 years to get through this one Star Wars book, and then 3 weeks to get through the sequel. The description I was given about Lord of the Rings was that it's extremely heavy on describing things, which I think can be a little slog through.

I tend to read almost exclusively Sci-fi or fantasy. I have many Star Trek and Star Wars expanded universe novels, but have only read several out of a large library. I also have a few by Isaac Asimov and Arthur C Clarke. I remember enjoying the Foundation Trilogy. After the first three I could tell that it was initially supposed to be over with 3. I read I also began to read "Songs of a Distant Earth."

I used to love reading Harry Potter in Middle School, in fact they may have been the first big books I was able to get through, but was never able to get past Goblet of Fire.

I remember some of the most enjoyable books I read of the last while were some Warcraft novels of all things. I used to be super into the lore surrounding the Warcraft universe.

Most recently I actually read the non fiction book "Beware of Small States: Lebanon - Battleground of the Middle East." I probably read that faster than any book I've ever read because I found it so fascinating (and depressing). That may be because I have a personal interest in the subject matter though because half my family is from Lebanon.

Oh and I'm also reading some psychology self help books to deal with a specific condition I have.
                              Wow, I'm very impressed
                              sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X