Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    No, the cookies are really cookies that were being baked in an actual oven. No, euphemisms to speak of.
    Yet more evidence for me that my mind is dirty. I'm seeing euphemisms everywhere! I think I need to cut down on NC-17 fics.

Comment

Woops! I may have used the balcony for another pairing's spitting contest once...

The making out occured on another balcony... ...after cookies were baked.
      Mmmm... cookies....

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
      Yet more evidence for me that my mind is dirty. I'm seeing euphemisms everywhere! I think I need to cut down on NC-17 fics.
      No, it's just more evidence that you're in the right place here on the Sparky thread. We're always in the gutter.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        And that is why you are such a valued member of the SGA-R beta team. We don't want accolades and "omgthisissogoodIalmostpeed" comments from betas. We want people who know canon, understand the characters and will tell us if they think we are off a bit on either. Then we will come back and argue if we feel strongly or will change it.

Now a word about self reccing fics. I see nothing wrong with it. I do it too, but what I do cringe at is anyone who comes back and asks if anyone read it. Don't do that. It's like you are begging for attention. Usually when you only get a few comments it means the others didn't know what to say or maybe didn't think it was as great as you do. All of us, myself included, forget to comment sometimes on things we like, but if something is outstanding, we will tell you so. If you want help getting better, ask someone whose writing you admire to beta you. I will do it for short fics, but not the very long ones as SGA-R takes a lot of my time. But if you do ask me, be prepared to get back the fic with lots of red and lots of suggestions for changes. Just ask Sparky of Atlantis. She is probably sorry she poked the bear.
        Er, it's Sparks of Atlantis. Lots of red? Yes. Lots of suggestions for changes? Yes. Sorry that I poked the bear? No.

For me, the key was not to be discouraged if I received a fic back marked red all over. It was important for me to set my work aside for a while, then come back to it later and look at it from another point of view. I asked myself, if someone else had written this, would I read it? How could I make the story stronger? I don't think that any beta would ever intentionally hurt a writer. If you hand your work to an experienced beta, as I did, the criticism is often very well justified.

That said, I would also add that nobody is going to tell you your writing is terrible. Read the good fics and compare them with yours for an idea on how to improve. This is an interesting discussion because fanfic is sometimes hard to judge. If you like the plot and think the characters are good, you will like it. But is grammar, spelling and punctuation important? Or if a story is technically correct but dull and boring or way off base, is it still good? Which do you guys value most? I'll tell you what I think after you reply, and I'm betting the SGA-R writers already know what I will say.

And for those writers who want to improve try these sites: Ten Rules for Writing Fiction and The Writers Site.
        I skimmed through the comments, and I have to agree with Raelis' point about "character voice." A story may not have the most exciting plot or be written with the best spelling, grammar, and punctuation, but a writer can certainly learn to improve in these areas. I think what's most important is to be able to really know your characters. Really know them. Like everyone else said, the little gestures and looks, intonation of the voice, dialogue... If I can hear the characters speaking and see them acting out a scene in my head, then I know that this writer really understands his or her characters and is able to use that knowledge to write from the heart.

I'll have to go look at those sites when I have time. Within those sites probably lies some good writing tips that I have yet to learn.
        sigpic
        Please visit sga-rising.com for a Season 6 of Stargate: Atlantis
        View my projects on FF.net || AO3 || YouTube

(Formerly known as Sparks of Atlantis)

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Hi everyone. Never been in this thread 'cause I'n not a fan of shipping.
            But I made this video and I think this could be the right place to post it.
            It wasn't in my intention to make a shipping video, but at last it looks like.

You have to watch it pretending it was never happend what happened before the episode Lifeline and you never saw the episode The Progeny.

It's long more than 7 minutes. I hope you like it.

Comment

Originally posted by luisa_ View Post

You have to watch it pretending it was never happend what happened before the episode Lifeline and you never saw the episode The Progeny.

*fistpump* Excellent. And even when you don't intend it, you can't escape the Sparky. I sure wish it had happened this way on the show. Thanks for sharing.
              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

sigpic
                My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

https://vimeo.com/56639827
                  Thank you for the video, it was really a nice gesture of yours to have posted it here, I really appreciate it!

And I guess although you didn’t intend it to be shippy, I guess since the ship is there it just can’t be avoided, isn’t that right? And this is definitely the way it should have happened in the show. Thank you once again.
                  sigpic
                  sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed it. Even if the ship wasn't intentional, Sparky is just part of Atlantis, isn't it? *Sighs* This is the happy ending we should have gotten. John and Elizabeth deserved to have it.
                    sigpic
                    Please visit sga-rising.com for a Season 6 of Stargate: Atlantis
                    View my projects on FF.net || AO3 || YouTube

(Formerly known as Sparks of Atlantis)

Comment

HiLuisa, Great vid. Thanks for sharing.Warmed my heart.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thank you very much for your nice comments. :-)

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

Welcome to the Sparky thread, luisa_! For someone who believes herself to not be a fan of shipping, I'd say you've tapped into the heart of Sparky beautifully with that video. Thanks so much for sharing it, it's fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                            Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

Welcome to the Sparky thread, luisa_! For someone who believes herself to not be a fan of shipping, I'd say you've tapped into the heart of Sparky beautifully with that video. Thanks so much for sharing it, it's fantastic!
                            You know I was just thinking that luisa_ has proven a point that we have been trying to make on this thread for years. You don't have to put on "shipper glasses" or squint to see Sparky. It's just there. Whether you see love or just friendship, it is just right there in front of your eyes and all you have to do is open them to see it. In fact, I would go so far as to say that you have to squint harder not to see it.
                            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Sparky is Atlantis and Atlantis is Sparky. We all know that SGA was never the same once Sparky got separated.
                              Spoiler:
                              But soon that will change!!! *does happy dance*
                              sigpic
                              sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Hello everyone!

I really enjoyed reading everyone’s thoughts on fanfiction and fanfic writing, they gave some great insight and for someone who once wrote but now mostly just read then I agree with what was written.

That video was amazing and very well out together, and yeah, it’s just another proof that Sparky was amazing there.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X