Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
    I don't like the things that are being done either!
    What things? Or are you referring to the many what-if situations already laid out...

I think John would have been playing second fiddle, and there wouldn't have been a Lorne character. Sumner was distrustful of the Athosians cause he didn't consider them technologically advanced enough to really care about them (I think). His motto was more along the lines of our people first, the rest we don't care about. And a woman in charge - twice, first Weir, then Teyla - also didn't sit well with him it seemed.

Though I must say that the thought is rather fascinating and I think it would make for a brilliant AU episode or fanfiction.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

We were discussing what was going on in my story at the moment!
      sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
      https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        What things? Or are you referring to the many what-if situations already laid out...

I think John would have been playing second fiddle, and there wouldn't have been a Lorne character. Sumner was distrustful of the Athosians cause he didn't consider them technologically advanced enough to really care about them (I think). His motto was more along the lines of our people first, the rest we don't care about. And a woman in charge - twice, first Weir, then Teyla - also didn't sit well with him it seemed.

Though I must say that the thought is rather fascinating and I think it would make for a brilliant AU episode or fanfiction.
        Sumner had a stick up his butt from day 1. and regarding the AU i wouldn't be surprised if he isn't commander in that AR we saw sheppard piloting the f-302 in the Daedalus Variations.

Comment

I guess that got lost somewhere in between the what-ifs... my bad.

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
          i would be surprised if he isn't commander in that AR we saw sheppard piloting the f-302.
          Hey now that you mention it... that could very well be the case.

Comment

Do you like what's going on in my story at the moment FH?
            sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
            https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Hey now that you mention it... that could very well be the case.
              thanks. i always have a good suggestion every now and then.

Comment

Hiya Probie! Long time, no see! *hugs*

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                That, or "property of".
                This!

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                Another "what if" question for discussion: how would John and Elizabeth's relationship (professionally, personally, whichever floats your ship boat) have differed if Sumner had survived the events of "Rising"? Would their dealings be more along the lines of Weir/Lorne, with him being 2IC?

Or ignore it. That's cool too.
                Oooh, that is a fascinating question! I think gateraid, Eri and SR have covered pretty much everything. In particular, I have to agree with SR that we probably would've lost a lot of the Sparky moments that ostensibly came out of "professional leader-to-leader" moments. But the idea of them bonding over both being on the outs with Sumner is a distinct possibility. And come to think of it, we may also have seen more instances of Elizabeth and John working on Ancient language/technology issues with McKay... Three Musketeers of Atlantis FTW!

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                I agree. I also think Sumner tolerated Weir's insistence on Sheppard while everything was sort of new and bold and uncertain, but as soon as the Wraith entered the picture and there was a real threat to be concerned about, he would have nipped the insubordination in the bud. They couldn't have afforded Sheppard to be questioning authority all the time with such a dangerous enemy.

However, keeping Sumner as military head, if he operated similar to a Hammond capacity, and with deference to Elizabeth as diplomatic head, might have been interesting. John could have played an O'Neill type role (sometimes rogue military guy) so all the standalones would have stayed as were. But in that sense, Elizabeth might have gone off-world more, because I see more room with co-heads to have her truly be more of a diplomat ambassador than the only one to sit around in Atlantis doing paperwork.
                Now that would've been awesome to see! I have to wonder if, under those circumstances, Sheppard might have gone off-world more often with Elizabeth than with the main "team" with Sumner. Getting to see two teams switching off on missions instead of just one as on SG-1 would certainly have given SGA an even more unique ensemble dynamic.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                Good points from both gateraid and Eri. ITA with all of it.

If Sumner had stayed, Joe would not have been the lead because Robert Patrick is a big name, so Sheppard would always have been second. However, I think most of the viewers would have connected with him more, and he would have been considered the "star" by most of us. The dynamics would have been totally different among all the characters. But just for our purposes, let's look at John and Elizabeth. On the one hand, there would have been less Sparky because a lot of their interactions were the two of them planning their strategy, talking about events and mulling over what to do. I'm afraid that would have led to fewer balcony scenes and probably no desk sitting. There would have been a Weir/Sumner shipper group, and it would have made sense. There would even have been a Sumner/Sheppard shipper group that would have given McShep a run for its money. Elizabeth would still be his boss, and even further up the ladder, which would have put her seriously out of reach for a relationship. Feel free to argue this point.
                *cackles* Fandom would certainly have been a lot crazier!
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Do you like what's going on in my story at the moment FH?
                  I didn't read it, sorry. I don't have enough hours left in my days to read much fanfic.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                  I doubt that's even possible but who knows for sure anyway...

Comment

But since the last seven posts were discussing the what-if situation, you can see how we might get confused. It might be a good idea to at least quote the immediate post you're replying to, just to eliminate the risk of confusion.

I agree with the ideas. I don't think Sumner would've lasted long. Too many people would be cheering for him to get killed off. I'd hope that if he did survive, Sumner might soften a little over time, perhaps due to a near death experience in that he escaped the Wraith and John was the one to bring him back. He might have appreciated the gesture, especially considering what a grinch he was being to John earlier. Their relationship might have been more friendly.

I think that John would appreciate that Elizabeth stuck her neck out for him to bring him on the expedition, but I don't know if it would necessarily lead into a romantic relationship just because he didn't directly report to Elizabeth. Despite the fact I wrote a fic where that happened. And her working relationship with Sumner may have improved upon him learning that she was the one who kept John on a short leash when he wanted to go right back to find Sumner and Co.

Sumner sharing a cell with Teyla and the Athosians might've helped him better understand the constant threat that she and her people have had to endure for years.

But who knows.

Comment

Here's the fic I was referring to:

"On The Other Side"

And FH:
                      Spoiler:
                      Kate's alive.

Takes place in S5 after GitM.
                      Last edited by ShipperWriter; 13 December 2012, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Point taken ShipperWriter. I'll remember that in the future.

Comment

I didn't really see him as not liking a woman in charge exactly, it seemed more like he just didn't like civilians or people he perceived as 'weak' ("that's what your sidearm's for" to Ford seemed pretty apt to me). To him, Weir was a naive hippie who had no relevant experience in either managing groups of that size, or missions of a dangerous nature. The Athosians seemed to offer little in the way of means to contact home, given that they looked like they were living in what would be our BC time period. But appearances were deceiving on both counts.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                          Hiya Probie! Long time, no see! *hugs*

This!

Oooh, that is a fascinating question! I think gateraid, Eri and SR have covered pretty much everything. In particular, I have to agree with SR that we probably would've lost a lot of the Sparky moments that ostensibly came out of "professional leader-to-leader" moments. But the idea of them bonding over both being on the outs with Sumner is a distinct possibility. And come to think of it, we may also have seen more instances of Elizabeth and John working on Ancient language/technology issues with McKay... Three Musketeers of Atlantis FTW!

Now that would've been awesome to see! I have to wonder if, under those circumstances, Sheppard might have gone off-world more often with Elizabeth than with the main "team" with Sumner. Getting to see two teams switching off on missions instead of just one as on SG-1 would certainly have given SGA an even more unique ensemble dynamic.

It's quite possible McKay would have featured less with the rejigged lineup, possibly staying in Atlantis a bit more. That might lead to, shock horror, two women on the team every now and then. I think it might also have been a bit confusing for Sheppard on a mission - being responsible to one leader (Sumner, who would be minding the store at the time) whilst being responsible for another (Weir, on the mission) and trying to stay loyal to both.

It's also possible that Kolya would have killed Sumner during The Storm, either intentionally, or when he stepped in front of the bullet meant for Weir.
                          sigpic

Comment

Should have preview posted. Doh!

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                            But since the last seven posts were discussing the what-if situation, you can see how we might get confused. It might be a good idea to at least quote the immediate post you're replying to, just to eliminate the risk of confusion.

I agree with the ideas. I don't think Sumner would've lasted long. Too many people would be cheering for him to get killed off. I'd hope that if he did survive, Sumner might soften a little over time,
                            Re the bolded bit. While I loved any civilian/military conflict that was present on the show, the storyline would end up by running its course eventually. Caldwell was Sumner-lite initially, but they softened him over time (IMO too soon) because there weren't too many opportunities for him to disagree with Shep/Weir but still be on their side

perhaps due to a near death experience in that he escaped the Wraith and John was the one to bring him back. He might have appreciated the gesture, especially considering what a grinch he was being to John earlier. Their relationship might have been more friendly.

I think that John would appreciate that Elizabeth stuck her neck out for him to bring him on the expedition, but I don't know if it would necessarily lead into a romantic relationship just because he didn't directly report to Elizabeth. Despite the fact I wrote a fic where that happened. And her working relationship with Sumner may have improved upon him learning that she was the one who kept John on a short leash when he wanted to go right back to find Sumner and Co.

Sumner sharing a cell with Teyla and the Athosians might've helped him better understand the constant threat that she and her people have had to endure for years.

But who knows.
                            Those are very good points. Plus it would have been interesting to see either Teyla kicking Sumner's butt in the gym later, or Sumner smirking when she did it to Sheppard
                            sigpic

Comment

I meant in the last two chapters, but I hate that they did that too. But it makes for good writing, doesn't it mandogater?
                              Yes it does. Makes me very curious how you'll have John solve that little problem.
                              Last edited by mandogater; 13 December 2012, 03:22 PM. Reason: bad grammar
                              I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                                Yes it does. Makes me very curious how you'll have John solve that little problem.
                                Oh I already have the problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                                X