• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MentallyUnstableFox View Post
    ...I think my muse got hit by a bus..
    Ouch!

On a lighter note, I've been trying to figure out what all the colours mean on those nifty little jackets the Atlantis team wears. I want one of those! (the original ones they had in the beginning, not the leather ones) I know black=military blue=scientist red=civilian, and yellow=medic, but didn't Kate have a white one? What would that mean? And what does green mean? Anyone know?
    I think there's a thread buried somewhere deep in the Lantean archives that deals with this very idea.

We never saw Kate wear the jacket so there's no way for sure to know what color she was. I guess yellow as she's part of the medical team. We also have no canon proof what country she's from although I think the general consensus would be that she's supposed to be American (in fanfic she's either from the US or Canada - partly due I guess cause Claire is(/was) Canadian).

Green was engineering I think. I'll see if I can dig up the thread from beyond the dust.

And I won't be around for the post-a-thon (I had hoped I would be - I even brought the DVD home with me) cause I kinda forgot my 3D WWII-plane has to be finished by tuesday evening. Woops! I forgot!
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Also, on the DVD, one of the writers said that the reason they got rid of Carson was that they, "needed to shake up ratings", and because two of the episodes were shot out of order, "Sunday" was only the second-last episode Paul shot. Which is just sad. I mean, probably all the characters on SGA got some serious hate-especially Liz in the first seasons, for some reason-but, was there one person who didn't love Carson?!?!
      I know, though saying that you killed someone off because you had to “shake things up” just seem lame and makes you think that the writers couldn’t come up with something better to move forward with the story plot. However if you’re going kill someone or if a character for some reason leaves then the most important thing is to take the opportunity to move the characters that are left forward to show how the person that is gone affects all of them (something we didn’t really see much of in SGA, at least not as much as they could have done it), however the thing with that is that then it doesn’t matter who you kill, it could be a one episode guest star that the audience doesn’t care about as long as the characters themselves does and it have an effect on them. Now when you do a show where there are a lot of wars and fighting of course people are going to die, what I mean is that just to kill someone off to “shake things up” and not to make it an important milestone in the actual story (because it’s sadly that most of the times the characters that die are hardly mentioned again or at least not as often as they would have been if it had been in real life), I’m not saying that they have to get into a depression over it but to just forget someone or some people that have been such big and important part of your life isn’t realistic either.

Anyway, that's much the same problem I had with Sam on SGA. I mean, I love Sam. A lot. A lot a lot. But she belonged to SG1, and on Atlantis, that wasn't her team. It was-and always will be-Elizabeth's expedition. It felt like Sam was supposed to be "better" in some way. That's why Woolsey was easier to deal with, it didn't feel like he was supposed to be better.
      That was one of the things that many reacted to when she showed up there, it’s also obvious in the writing that they didn’t even write Carter as she was on SG-1 but seem to have kept the same writing mindset because there were few scenes with Carter that I couldn’t picture that Elizabeth also would have been able to pull off. It was also the odd thing about having Carter there is that Atlantis already had people in her area of knowledge and experience and that, along with the fact that she was only going to be in a few episodes anyway, could have been written differently and maybe she could have just been there to help out, kind of like in ‘The Pegasus Project’ or something, there are just so many ways that they could have written the whole story without taking away from something else.

On a lighter note, I've been trying to figure out what all the colours mean on those nifty little jackets the Atlantis team wears. I want one of those! (the original ones they had in the beginning, not the leather ones) I know black=military blue=scientist red=civilian, and yellow=medic, but didn't Kate have a white one? What would that mean? And what does green mean? Anyone know?
      I read somewhere that green could mean like Maintenance or something similar to that but I’m not sure, green seem to be the colour that those who mostly work on the base mostly wears.
      sigpic

Comment

Found it, after a quick google search (which works better than the GW search):

Atlantis Uniform Colours

It was started in 2007 and it only has 2 pages.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
          yet she was written in such a way to basically make her look like less of an expert in her fields than she was in order to keep John and Rodney strong. To an extent, I can understand this; John and Rodney have WAY more experience in Pegasus than Carter does, with the Wraith, Ancient technology and the like. But one would assume that Carter's a quick study and would be able to get up to speed fairly easily, yet she didn't, and ultimately, it made her look like the worst possible choice, at least in terms of story mechanics. Woolsey, on the other hand, is like Weir in that both of them were neither "fish nor fowl," as it were; neither of them are hard scientists or military experts, so when they are briefed on matters and asking questions of their experts, they both look like intelligent, thoughtful leaders who try to gather as much information as they can and carefully consider all sides of an issue before making important decisions.
          EXACTLY!!! I also think they thought that simply having Sam on the team was going to boost ratings, because she was barely in season four, as it was.

IIRC, red was supposed to represent administration/diplomatic personnel (which is why Lizzeh, Teyla and Woolsey wore it; Carter should've been in military uniform like John). Yellow was for all medical personnel, including Kate; you'll notice that Carson often wore a white shirt, just like Kate did. Which is why putting Keller in blue shirts in S4-5 made no sense at all. Green represented technical/support staff.
          ah, yes, that makes more sense. Did they put Keller in blue? *eyes costume department*
          That was what confused me about the green. I thought it was a technician thing, because Chuck, Amelia, and all the other dudes at the control consoles wore it, but Grodin never wore green, and Vega did. Probably just a continuity error though.
          Daniel: You know referring to yourself in the third person is a sign of mental instability right?
          McKay: Yeah, mentally unstable like a FOX!

O'neill: Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?!

Elizabeth: I'm not going anywhere
          John: good, wouldn't be the same without you

Carson: You have a date Rodney? With a woman?

Comment

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
            Actually, yes. I know Carson got serious hate in some corners of the fandom back in the day. I'm not entirely sure why but I think people found some of his actions... unethical? (I think every character on SGA and most of those on SG-1 did some things that can be considered unethical, so I don't see the point in singling out Carson's faults.) I wasn't around back then, but I did some research into this fandom's history because I'm geeky like that. Every single character has their own hatedom. I don't hate any of the characters, so this is difficult for me to wrap my mind around.
            Everybody got their share of hate, including John and mostly Elizabeth. I don't understand why anyone would continue watching a show when they hate a character that much, and I understand even less coming on a forum and spewing out hatred for a character. There is a "court martial Sheppard" thread floating around here somewhere.
            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

None of the hate-threads were ever removed so you can still visit and check em out...

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Atlantis Uniform Colours

Oh, thanks for posting this! I'll take a look!
                Daniel: You know referring to yourself in the third person is a sign of mental instability right?

Comment

Ouch!
                  And then it doubled back and hit it again.

Comment

S-minus 25 minutes to the Progeny post-a-thon!

EXACTLY!!! I also think they thought that simply having Sam on the team was going to boost ratings, because she was barely in season four, as it was.
                    Very likely.

ah, yes, that makes more sense. Did they put Keller in blue? *eyes costume department*
                    That was what confused me about the green. I thought it was a technician thing, because Chuck, Amelia, and all the other dudes at the control consoles wore it, but Grodin never wore green, and Vega did. Probably just a continuity error though.
                    Keller wore blue shirts, but the stripes on her jacket were yellow for medical. Weird. Grodin was working on a drone weapon when we first saw him in Rising, so I always assumed he was a scientist first. Maybe he was put in charge of managing the techs in the control room?

When did Vega wear green? She was military, and I only remember seeing her in black.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                    Everybody got their share of hate, including John and mostly Elizabeth. I don't understand why anyone would continue watching a show when they hate a character that much, and I understand even less coming on a forum and spewing out hatred for a character. There is a "court martial Sheppard" thread floating around here somewhere.
                    "Court martial Sheppard"?!?!? I don't think I wanna know.
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

And then it doubled back and hit it again.
                      Double ouch!

Ah, so it's 10:30pm - I'm gonna make a note in my planner for this.

Comment

Atlantis Uniform Colours

I read that thread just for giggles. Some of those people just like to argue. Ah yes, I remember certain ones fondly.
                        sigpic

Comment

Ah yes, I remember certain ones fondly.
                          A lot of them are no longer active... they left with the ending of the show, I think.

Comment

When did Vega wear green? She was military, and I only remember seeing her in black.
                            Vega wore green in the deleted scene where she was flirting with Keller, and I thiiinkkkk she also wore it when she was asking Sam to be put on an off-world team.
                            Last edited by MentallyUnstableFox; 25 November 2012, 12:14 PM. Reason: Because vega wanted to be a part of a team, not to dig a hole

Comment

Very likely.

Keller wore blue shirts, but the stripes on her jacket were yellow for medical. Weird. Grodin was working on a drone weapon when we first saw him in Rising, so I always assumed he was a scientist first. Maybe he was put in charge of managing the techs in the control room?

"Court martial Sheppard"?!?!? I don't think I wanna know.
                              You missed that? Ah yes, it was quite a thing. He was just so insane and a killer and PTSD and insubordinate...just pick one. LOL

The question about the lack of uniformity of uniforms in the last season is answered with one word...money. They only changed the uniforms for the main cast and a few others because of cost. And as far as John suddenly changing in S4 to the black military uni, that was because Joe got fed up with being uncomfortable and put his foot down. After that, they just left him alone.
                              sigpic

Comment

S-minus 15 minutes to Progeny!

Ah, so it's 10:30pm - I'm gonna make a note in my planner for this.
                                *salutes*

I read that thread just for giggles. Some of those people just like to argue. Ah yes, I remember certain ones fondly.
                                *snickers*
                                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Working...
                                X