Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by falcon horus View Post
    sleep is overrated, every plotbunny knows that.

it's the first rule in the plotbunny handbook - plotbunny 101.
    Plotbunnies for dummies also starts with this rule. It's universal.
    I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Oh yeah, SR, meant to tell you. Haven't read your story yet. I started but I'm really not in the right head space to read a story like that right now. I got all emotional about a third of the way in.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
        Oh yeah, SR, meant to tell you. Haven't read your story yet. I started but I'm really not in the right head space to read a story like that right now. I got all emotional about a third of the way in.
        Oh dear. Sorry I choked everybody up. That means it would have worked that way. Save it for a happy day. Now you can just think about next weekend and nothing will bother you.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
          On the "Elizabeth returns in Season 6" thing: Mallozzi has elaborated several times, both on his blog and at least one interview that was posted shortly after SGA was cancelled, on the idea that the real, original, human Elizabeth Weir (not a clone, not a Replicator duplicate) was still alive and hidden away somewhere by the ascension-aspiring Replicators, and that the rest of Team Atlantis would eventually find her and bring her home. Basically.
          Thank you! I try to avoid TPTB's interviews so I had no idea. Wow. My mind is kind of blown. I was certain they were completely done with Elizabeth. Not that TPTB's opinion matters much to me, but it's still kind of nice to know they wanted her back.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          If we'd gotten a season 6 I wouldn't have blamed him at all for doing so. Would you be satisfied with 2 lines per episode, I wouldn't be.
          However, right after SGA he accepted the role of Drogo in "Game of Thrones" which did not include a lot of talking. In fact, Ronon was downright chatty compared to Drogo.

For those not getting certain ships - try understanding my straight OTP - Kate/John... They never had any scenes together, as just them together. And yet, I ship them all because of this one moment, one ittybitty moment in Michael where they're arguing in the briefing room over Michael's fate.
          If that was in any way directed at me, I get other people's preferences perfectly well. Especially given the fact that I happily ship characters that never met in canon.

But now I just have to go take a look at that John/Kate scene - never thought about the two of them in this context before, but now I'm really interested.
          Last edited by Raelis; 08 August 2012, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
            The promo pics were done by the studio and/or the network. I think the placement had a lot to do with billing. Joe and Torri came first. And also with height. Notice how later, Jason is always in the back. Joe and Torri fit very nicely together height wise. A photographer is going to be looking at those things. A lot of what shippers see as ship in the show is based on who is close to whom. It's not always intentional. In the commentaries you hear them talk about how they place them for the best camera angles. I've noticed when they were around that conference table that where they were sitting sometimes had to do with who spoke when and whom they talked to. Plus, there is a HUGE disconnect from what the writers see and what we see. It's like when you write a fic and sometimes the readers don't get your point that you thought was obvious. That's why Sparky just seemed to baffle them. LOL
            It's worth mentioning that positioning and placement as far as cameras go is very important, because they're not easily movable things. If you can shoot a scene quick and dirty without having to make too many adjustments, that's a win. And many of those scenes where they're walking down a corridor shoulder-to-shoulder? Well, if set hallway is tight, and they don't want to cut off edges of body parts, and if there are extras milling about, naturally the two characters will have to get close to each other to make the shot work. Sometimes, we look a little too hard at things, but we're shippers, and sometimes that's fun.

Writers should have 'bibles' that lay out the progress on a show 'thus far' which lets them know what has been broached and what has not. I'm not sure what the writer's bible on SGA looked like, but I don't think ship was included. Or we wouldn't have Carl Binder writing as many quiet scenes as he did, and having Elizabeth call Sheppard 'John' throughout, and then an episode later we have another writer keep their dialogue all business and have her refer to him, including directly, only as "Colonel Sheppard". It was a little confusing sometimes.

And sometimes, I think we just find what we're looking for. I have a sneaking suspicion that the motivation when TLG was written was simple to have Sheppard and Weir, the two heads of Atlantis, face off against each other in a shocking way--including a kiss and a gun battle. While I can't imagine they wouldn't have thought the kiss would incite all kinds of uproar, I do think they weren't necessarily thinking of the implications of Sheppard 'volunteering' to host the husband of the supposedly sweet and victimized Phoebus, who happened to be living inside his rather attractive boss at the time. I think the overall goal skipped over even rationally considering that move and went straight for 'Sheppard and Weir, guns pointed at one another--AWESOME!'
            Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
              Thank you! I try to avoid TPTB's interviews so I had no idea. Wow. My mind is kind of blown. I was certain they were completely done with Elizabeth. Not that TPTB's opinion matters much to me, but it's still kind of nice to know they wanted her back.

However, right after SGA he accepted the role of Drogo in "Game of Thrones" which did not include a lot of talking. In fact, Ronon was downright chatty compared to Drogo.

If that was in any way directed at me, I get other people's preferences perfectly well. Especially given the fact that I happily ship characters that never met in canon.

But now I just have to go take a look at that John/Kate scene - never thought about the two of them in this context before, but now I'm really interested.
              But Drogo led to Conan, which gave Jason a huge paycheck. Acting is a business, so when they get a chance to be seen by millions, they usually don't pass it up. The fact that Conan was not a big hit won't hurt him as much as you might think. When they need a big burly he man for another movie, who knows, they might remember Jason. Yes, he'll be typecast, but his look pretty much makes that a foregone conclusion. I remember once that JF went into a bit of this at a con, explaining how Hollywood pigeonholes actors and won't let them out of the narrow limitations set for them. Character actors like Chris Heyerdahl and Robert Picardo have a much wider range of parts offered to them.
              sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

OMG the Chicago con is NEXT WEEK. Crap. I gotta get my pictures printed.
                ZOMG! *does a happy dance* I'm so excited for you and Irish Eyes! I hope you two have lots of fun!

Yes. The Prodigal had a lot of good things going for it. (Thanks Joe for making sure Teyla killed Michael.) But it made no freaking sense at all that he wanted the baby unless there was ship behind it. No sense. So I conclude he was in love with her. Cause I like logic.
                Wait... ship has to be logical? Who'd a'thunk it?

I don't believe for a single moment that there was any real notion of Elizabeth coming back. I think Mallozzi was just being his usual self when he posted that (that's the most PG way I can say it).
                Sadly, that's probably true. I still remember how JoeF had told me at the 2009 LAXcon that TPTW didn't want Torri back when I'd asked him about how Sheppard never got to do a "save the girl, get the girl" thing with Elizabeth. *sighs*

Hate to say it, but not really. Knowing what we know about these PTW, Mallozzi was probably just throwing us a bone to shut us up. Maybe they were thinking about it as an idea to use if they couldn't come up with enough decent (by their standards) stories to fill up the season, but they never really took it seriously.

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                Writers should have 'bibles' that lay out the progress on a show 'thus far' which lets them know what has been broached and what has not. I'm not sure what the writer's bible on SGA looked like, but I don't think ship was included. Or we wouldn't have Carl Binder writing as many quiet scenes as he did, and having Elizabeth call Sheppard 'John' throughout, and then an episode later we have another writer keep their dialogue all business and have her refer to him, including directly, only as "Colonel Sheppard". It was a little confusing sometimes.
                I seem to recall reading somewhere that they never had a show bible for SGA. Would certainly explain a lot, wouldn't it?

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                And sometimes, I think we just find what we're looking for. I have a sneaking suspicion that the motivation when TLG was written was simple to have Sheppard and Weir, the two heads of Atlantis, face off against each other in a shocking way--including a kiss and a gun battle. While I can't imagine they wouldn't have thought the kiss would incite all kinds of uproar, I do think they weren't necessarily thinking of the implications of Sheppard 'volunteering' to host the husband of the supposedly sweet and victimized Phoebus, who happened to be living inside his rather attractive boss at the time. I think the overall goal skipped over even rationally considering that move and went straight for 'Sheppard and Weir, guns pointed at one another--AWESOME!'
                Ah, but it WAS awesome... Just not in the way that TPTW expected we'd see it.
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Southern Red- I sent you a PM and Scary Kitty - an email. I'm just picking your brains a bit for the convention. I can't believe it's almost here!

JT!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to meet you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  sigpic
                  sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post
                    Southern Red- I sent you a PM and Scary Kitty - an email. I'm just picking your brains a bit for the convention. I can't believe it's almost here!

Got it and replied. I am excited for you and JT. We will all be thinking about you all weekend and waiting to hear from you.

Oh, and something I forgot. I don't know if you are taking a computer with you, but the data center in the hotel is convenient and never crowded. I used it all the time to post on here. With all the hassle of getting a laptop through the airport, I decided to chance it and was glad I did. You'll see that everything for the convention is conveniently located mostly on one floor. The photo ops are downstairs, but they do a good job of giving directions. It's a big hotel and even with this size crowd doesn't seem mobbed.
                    sigpic

Comment

Compared to Ronon, Kahl Drogo actually played an actual part in a storyline. He may not have had many lines but there's a difference between a character like Drogo and one like Ronon. As a character Ronon was simply forgotten. Drogo wasn't.

He was brilliant as Drogo.

If that was in any way directed at me...
                      No, not really. I was aiming at a more general audience...

It's intense, I can tell you that.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post

Just replied! Squee, I am so excited for the both of you and hope you have a blast!

Oh, and here's a little trick I used to acclimate myself to where everything was when I went to the LAX and Burbank cons; go on to the hotel's website and see if they have floor plans of their convention/ballroom areas that you can print out. When Creation posts the schedule of events, they'll also list where each event takes place. You can then use a highlighter to mark all the important spots from your itinerary on your map and bring it with you to the con.
                        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

well someone is clever aren't they? a treasure map!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                              *dies laughing* That's one way of looking at it!

Comment

Watch out, I just noticed whirlwind Anuna's back from being away!

Comment

Working...
                                X