Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
    *tiptoes in* so it's probably been over a year since I've been here...I kinda fell off the face of the planet for a lil while. Gonna try to be back tho-I miss you guys!
    Hi and welcome back. We love it when old members of the family drop back in. Nothing much has changed except a few of the faces. We are still all about the Sparky. And just look at our post count!

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
    I was just on the Atlantis rising and I noticed that episode 7 aka Adoremus Was cOmpleted and awaited posting does this mean we'll see a new episode posted in the very near future?
    I'm not sure how you did that because the site was hacked and most people can't access it. We are working on a new site and will announce when it's ready. The next episode is at least a month away, maybe more.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Well well well, I have new info. I've been reading JM's blog since he's doing a recap of SGA. Last night he did Home and The Storm. This little bit explains A WHOLE LOT! He writes about a scene they proposed for Home.

The original draft of the script had Teyla joining John on an exploration of Earth – a walk in the park, stopping for ice cream. I loved the fish-out-of-water aspects of the sequence and the subtle suggestions of a burgeoning romance, but the network wasn’t as enthusiastic so I ended up losing those scenes in the rewrite.

So evidently the network was more interested in the ship aspects of the show than we thought. If we are wondering who to thank for how the ship situation turned out, I'm thinking we should send a thank you balloon into the cosmos for this network person. Because if that scene had actually been done, it might have changed a lot of minds and made the casual fans look at that ship quite differently. I'm remembering also that Garwin Sanford said he was originally told that Elizabeth and Simon were married and doesn't know why they changed it. Interesting.
      sigpic

Comment

Mornin y'all. I see SW you've been busy. Now that I'm vacation for a couple weeks I'll read your story from start to finish. Did you say it was at command dynamics or ffnet? mandogator I know you'll slay that job fair in the face! drew how ya been? SR I think if Lizzie was married with all the sparky we saw, fandom would have lost respect for John and Lizzie.

Of for my MRI. I had to remove my piercing for the test. Feels weird with out it. At least it's new comic book day!
        "I only understand about 1% of what she says half of the time."

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
          *tiptoes in* so it's probably been over a year since I've been here...I kinda fell off the face of the planet for a lil while. Gonna try to be back tho-I miss you guys!
          Drew! *glomps* Welcome back, sweetie! We've missed you and hope you can stick around longer this time!

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
          *jumps up and down*

It's here! It's here! It's here! OMG, so wonderful!

The beginning of the end for Stargate_Ren!
          *runs around the room, squealing in joy*

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
          Well well well, I have new info. I've been reading JM's blog since he's doing a recap of SGA. Last night he did Home and The Storm. This little bit explains A WHOLE LOT! He writes about a scene they proposed for Home.

The original draft of the script had Teyla joining John on an exploration of Earth – a walk in the park, stopping for ice cream. I loved the fish-out-of-water aspects of the sequence and the subtle suggestions of a burgeoning romance, but the network wasn’t as enthusiastic so I ended up losing those scenes in the rewrite.

So evidently the network was more interested in the ship aspects of the show than we thought. If we are wondering who to thank for how the ship situation turned out, I'm thinking we should send a thank you balloon into the cosmos for this network person. Because if that scene had actually been done, it might have changed a lot of minds and made the casual fans look at that ship quite differently. I'm remembering also that Garwin Sanford said he was originally told that Elizabeth and Simon were married and doesn't know why they changed it. Interesting.
          How very curious, indeed. Funny, I was just looking at the old Atlantis site (now lost to the ether, but still accessible via the Internet Wayback Machine, and there's an excerpt from an article introducing SGA in Sci Fi Magazine from August 2004 (on page 4 of the article):

When you have a bunch of strong, feminine women, a shedload of sexy men and more nasty creatures than you can shake a DHD at, it means there's scope for all kinds of relationships in Stargate Atlantis. Take Sheppard and Weir, for example. He's out-and-out military; she's more your pacifist type. Don't they say opposites attract? "They do," agrees Higginson, "but our characters also have a lot in common. He's brand-new to this whole situation and had never even heard of a Stargate until he's seconded onto the team. So the two of them are in worlds that they know nothing about, and they have a respect for each other based on the way each approaches the challenge. A friendship may develop."

And then the article goes on to contrast Sheppard/Weir with Sheppard/Teyla but leave both possibilities uncertain. Sounds like the execs at Sci Fi at the time were more interested in keeping different options available and maybe going more with what fans wanted rather than what the producers wanted. Which makes sense, since, you know, keeping viewers happy leads to higher ratings and more advertiser money.

Or maybe they just thought the whole "wandering around Earth while the rest of the team is trying to figure out WTF is going on" idea was too boring.
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pkprd869 View Post
              Mornin y'all. I see SW you've been busy. Now that I'm vacation for a couple weeks I'll read your story from start to finish. Did you say it was at command dynamics or ffnet? mandogator I know you'll slay that job fair in the face! drew how ya been? SR I think if Lizzie was married with all the sparky we saw, fandom would have lost respect for John and Lizzie.
              Hey pkprd! My story is posted at both sites, but I think ch. 16-19 aren't posted at CD yet. Once RL has settled down, I'll get back on top of things.

And I agree with what you said about if Elizabeth had been married. Because even if the producers didn't mean for their relationship to develop the way it did with Joe and Torri's acting, all of the flirting would've been distasteful. So thank you, TPTW. You at least got that right.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                I know, right?! Reading that before my Insanity workout made it bearable. It also distracted me, but ...

How very curious, indeed. Funny, I was just looking at the old Atlantis site (now lost to the ether, but still accessible via the Internet Wayback Machine, and there's an excerpt from an article introducing SGA in Sci Fi Magazine from August 2004 (on page 4 of the article):

When you have a bunch of strong, feminine women, a shedload of sexy men and more nasty creatures than you can shake a DHD at, it means there's scope for all kinds of relationships in Stargate Atlantis. Take Sheppard and Weir, for example. He's out-and-out military; she's more your pacifist type. Don't they say opposites attract? "They do," agrees Higginson, "but our characters also have a lot in common. He's brand-new to this whole situation and had never even heard of a Stargate until he's seconded onto the team. So the two of them are in worlds that they know nothing about, and they have a respect for each other based on the way each approaches the challenge. A friendship may develop."

And then the article goes on to contrast Sheppard/Weir with Sheppard/Teyla but leave both possibilities uncertain. Sounds like the execs at Sci Fi at the time were more interested in keeping different options available and maybe going more with what fans wanted rather than what the producers wanted. Which makes sense, since, you know, keeping viewers happy leads to higher ratings and more advertiser money.

Or maybe they just thought the whole "wandering around Earth while the rest of the team is trying to figure out WTF is going on" idea was too boring.
                Oh well, they missed their shot. Luckily, there are still loyal fans who get the show and have continued the adventures of Atlantis in novels fanfiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                  Guh! Wonderful!

And c'mon, TPTW, how hard would it have been to have just one scene with John and Elizabeth holding hands, even if just in a reassuring, comforting way??? In that regards, Teyla and Ronan got more action.

Comment

I know, that's kind of disappointing, but given what we've heard go on between JoeF and TPTW, it's understandable why they might refrain from putting a profile of him on there. As for Torri -- IDK. They're losers.
                    True that.

Yep. Bloopers are great! I like some of the audio commentaries. The one for "Conversion" cracks me up every time. The intro is something along the lines of, "Hi, I'm David Hewlett, and I'm in this episode." "I'm Joe Flanigan and I turn into a buuuug." ROFL
                    Haha, yeah I really enjoyed that one, the best commentaries was always the once with at least two of the cast members or more, they were always the funny once.

It is interesting to read about it and compare to what they wrote and said back then compared to what they wrote/said after the show was done after season 5, a lot of things defiantly changed and we have noted several times that TPTB didn’t know what to do with certain things and more than one thing was handled really poorly.
                    For me though I have a hard time imagine a scene like that being able to change my mind about my love for Sparky, I mean I can’t say for sure but I do know that the two “first runs” (ie. Back what it first aired and then now at the end of last year when I re-watched the show) it was still Sparky that stood out to me and it’s not just about the scenes they were in together (where they so many times seem to be in their own world and forgot anyone else in the room if there was anyone else there but even their solo scenes were like that, like you sometimes felt as if you were intruding on some private and special time for the two of them when watching those scenes) anyway, what got to me was the not-in-your-face chemistry that was always there and I think that since it wasn’t really considered that there was supposed to be Sparky the chemistry was left alone to come naturally and to grow in a way and that for me is what made it work so well and especially that feeling you always get after seeing that kind of chemistry onscreen it’s amazing.
                    sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

Drew! *glomps* Welcome back, sweetie! We've missed you and hope you can stick around longer this time!

I wanted to read that article, but now the site is down.

I also read an excerpt somewhere that I can no longer find that said something like "initially" Teyla was supposed to be a love interest for Sheppard but their relationship evolved into "playful sexual tension" whatever the hell that means. I wish I could find that again. I thought it was in the GW article about the rewatch but no. Anyway, from all this new info it looks like they quickly adjusted their intentions. I'm thinking once the network saw where the real chemistry was they changed their minds. Plus the McShep chemistry in strictly a platonic way out shone them all. Shows do that kind of thing all the time. I have recently started watching Breaking Bad because Joe said he likes it and have quickly become addicted. I read an article about the cast and they said one character was supposed to only be on one season but he has such good chemistry with the lead actor, they have kept him. Common sense and good business I think.
                      Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                      http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/Nolamom/Shippiness/Valenship/Shippy%20Gifs/John_Elizabeth_hold_hands.gif
                      Sweeter than sweet.
                      sigpic

Comment

Hey pkprd! My story is posted at both sites, but I think ch. 16-19 aren't posted at CD yet. Once RL has settled down, I'll get back on top of things.

And I agree with what you said about if Elizabeth had been married. Because even if the producers didn't mean for their relationship to develop the way it did with Joe and Torri's acting, all of the flirting would've been distasteful. So thank you, TPTW. You at least got that right.
                        Indeed. Ultimately, while the shipping of Sheppard didn't end up exactly the way we hoped, at least the producers stepped back from crossing any lines that would've turned it into a character development disaster.

Oh well, they missed their shot. Luckily, there are still loyal fans who get the show and have continued the adventures of Atlantis in novels fanfiction.
                        *cough*Atlantis Rising*cough*

Yeah, we're back up. At last!

I wanted to read that article, but now the site is down.
                        Really? Weird, it's still coming up fine for me.

I also read an excerpt somewhere that I can no longer find that said something like "initially" Teyla was supposed to be a love interest for Sheppard but their relationship evolved into "playful sexual tension" whatever the hell that means. I wish I could find that again. I thought it was in the GW article about the rewatch but no. Anyway, from all this new info it looks like they quickly adjusted their intentions. I'm thinking once the network saw where the real chemistry was they changed their minds. Plus the McShep chemistry in strictly a platonic way out shone them all. Shows do that kind of thing all the time. I have recently started watching Breaking Bad because Joe said he likes it and have quickly become addicted. I read an article about the cast and they said one character was supposed to only be on one season but he has such good chemistry with the lead actor, they have kept him. Common sense and good business I think.
                        *nods* I've always said that a wise author will change their plans to follow where the chemistry leads.

Sparky. We haz it.

Hmm, I'm gonna have to check out Breaking Bad, methinks.
                        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

*glomps back the glompers*

it's good to be back! I do plan on sticking around this time (replaced my laptop - it was literally sparking and a potential fire hazard). working on getting this new one all personalized and pretty lol

looks like i have some catching up to do....
                          My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                          sigpic

Comment

Indeed. Ultimately, while the shipping of Sheppard didn't end up exactly the way we hoped, at least the producers stepped back from crossing any lines that would've turned it into a character development disaster.

*cough*Atlantis Rising*cough*

Yeah, we're back up. At last!

Really? Weird, it's still coming up fine for me.

*nods* I've always said that a wise author will change their plans to follow where the chemistry leads.

Sparky. We haz it.

Hmm, I'm gonna have to check out Breaking Bad, methinks.
                            Yes we are back up and for everyone who's out of the loop, the new address is: http://sga-rising.com/.

Believe me you're all not nearly as happy as we are. Now I've had all the tech talk I can take for one day because I think I have lost about 40 IQ points just trying to understand it. Now we wait for BOD to be finished before we can publish again.

Breaking Bad is definitely an acquired taste. It's like a bad traffic accident. You just can't look away. But the acting is excellent. And it's not for the squeamish. I'm really sorry I was eating a tomato sandwich during a certain scene yesterday. OMG.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure how you did that because the site was hacked and most people can't access it. We are working on a new site and will announce when it's ready. The next episode is at least a month away, maybe more.
                              I don't know either but I was going to re read the episodes already posted and I saw what I saw.

Comment

Yes we are back up and for everyone who's out of the loop, the new address is: http://sga-rising.com/.

Believe me you're all not nearly as happy as we are. Now I've had all the tech talk I can take for one day because I think I have lost about 40 IQ points just trying to understand it. Now we wait for BOD to be finished before we can publish again.
                                LMAO, I know what you mean. I think my brain has lost its higher functioning capabilities for the rest of the week. I think I'll just wander over to the JoeF thunk thread and drool at the pictures.

Breaking Bad is definitely an acquired taste. It's like a bad traffic accident. You just can't look away. But the acting is excellent. And it's not for the squeamish. I'm really sorry I was eating a tomato sandwich during a certain scene yesterday. OMG.
                                Ewwww... I don't want to know, do I?

Comment

Working...
                                X