No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently got home after seeing ‘Titanic 3D’ and oh, I just love the movie, it’s one of the few films I’ve seen so many times that I know almost every line yet I still can’t get enough of it and this was the first time I’ve seen it in theatres and it was so great to see it on the big screen.

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
    And a Sparky thought: out of all the episodes we've rewatched so far, what would you say is the best Sparky moment so far?
    Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    So far? Ummm....that would have to be the big rescue scene in The Eye. I know that was the beginning of shipping them for a lot of people.
    I’m with Southern Red, I think the rescue scene in ‘The Eye’ is the best Sparky moment, even more so when you take the whole episode into consideration. I’m also a big fan of the ‘War and Peace’ scene in ‘Home’, I just love it when John says “Good, it wouldn’t be the same without you” to Liz, because he is so right and it’s pretty sad at the same time.
    sigpic

Comment

So far? Ummm....that would have to be the big rescue scene in The Eye. I know that was the beginning of shipping them for a lot of people.
      It sure was for me.

Another really big, epic Sparky moment would have to be when John enters the infirmary quarantine tent and takes Elizabeth's hand to reach her in The Real World. Always makes my heart go a-flutter.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Here lies Falcon Horus, known also as Heightmeyer's Lemming. So full of life when the fiery Southern Red decided to nip it in the butt. She know resides in the good graces of Athar, also known as Chaya Sar.

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
        Not yet. I have, however, read an article in Star Wars Insider where the limited sight was mentioned.
        You don't see much... this especially is interesting when little kids try to wrap themselves around your trooper-legs but you don't see them coming... it's like getting ambushed from below.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
        This is probably a dumb question, but are the Storm Troopers even human? Cause those helmets don't look like they were designed for a normal shaped head, unless they also have some sort of breathing apparatus for exposure to space.
        Seeing as how I have to look up everything that's got something to do with Star Wars, I'm not the best person to ask.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          Here lies Falcon Horus, known also as Heightmeyer's Lemming. So full of life when the fiery Southern Red decided to nip it in the butt. She know resides in the good graces of Athar, also known as Chaya Sar.

Ha. The Sunday post-a-thon is going to be epic snark.

But back to Hot Zone. I have been taking apart the radio conversations between John and Elizabeth and came up with some interesting questions.

Part 1:

SHEPPARD: Alright, alright. Teyla and I are coming up to join you.

WEIR: We're in a self-regulated quarantine, Major. Everyone stays where they are.

SHEPPARD: We're nearly a mile away on the east pier. D'you really think I'm in any sort of danger walking from here to the Control Room?

WEIR: At this point we don't know where they contracted the virus. This is a medical situation, John. Only authorized personnel in hazmat suits are allowed to roam freely -- those rules apply to everyone, including you.

SHEPPARD (slowly, as if explaining it to an idiot): Well, then, get someone to bring me a hazmat suit.

WEIR (starting to get angry): Everyone in hazmat is busy configuring the lab to deal with a possible outbreak. Now if an opportunity arises, I will send somebody to come get you, but in the meantime, radio contact will have to do.

SHEPPARD (frustrated): Alright. Just ... keep us in the loop.

WEIR: Will do.

(Irritated, John walks back to the bench and tosses his bag down. Teyla rolls her eyes slightly.)

1. John starts by saying "Teyla and I." He doesn't give Teyla a choice, so this is a good illustration of how he expects Teyla to obey him because he is the team leader.

2. Then John uses the pronoun "I" alone when responding to Weir. Why the switch?

3. Elizabeth calls him John. Appealing to him on a personal level? Then she quickly returns to leader mode and reminds him that the rules apply to him. Teyla just became wallpaper.

4. John tries to overrule her by being forceful, subtly reminding her that he's military commander.

5. Elizabeth gets mad and pulls rank causing John to back down. Then he acts like a spoiled 3 year old and Teyla rolls her eyes at his behavior.

Am I the only one who sees how quickly this becomes just between John and Elizabeth?
          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

If all goes well... I am going to a Fantasy Fair on sunday but if possible I'll try to be here... this I gotta see.

Comment

But back to Hot Zone. I have been taking apart the radio conversations between John and Elizabeth and came up with some interesting questions.

Part 1:

SHEPPARD: Alright, alright. Teyla and I are coming up to join you.

WEIR: We're in a self-regulated quarantine, Major. Everyone stays where they are.

SHEPPARD: We're nearly a mile away on the east pier. D'you really think I'm in any sort of danger walking from here to the Control Room?

WEIR: At this point we don't know where they contracted the virus. This is a medical situation, John. Only authorized personnel in hazmat suits are allowed to roam freely -- those rules apply to everyone, including you.

SHEPPARD (slowly, as if explaining it to an idiot): Well, then, get someone to bring me a hazmat suit.

WEIR (starting to get angry): Everyone in hazmat is busy configuring the lab to deal with a possible outbreak. Now if an opportunity arises, I will send somebody to come get you, but in the meantime, radio contact will have to do.

SHEPPARD (frustrated): Alright. Just ... keep us in the loop.

WEIR: Will do.

(Irritated, John walks back to the bench and tosses his bag down. Teyla rolls her eyes slightly.)

1. John starts by saying "Teyla and I." He doesn't give Teyla a choice, so this is a good illustration of how he expects Teyla to obey him because he is the team leader.

2. Then John uses the pronoun "I" alone when responding to Weir. Why the switch?

3. Elizabeth calls him John. Appealing to him on a personal level? Then she quickly returns to leader mode and reminds him that the rules apply to him. Teyla just became wallpaper.

4. John tries to overrule her by being forceful, subtly reminding her that he's military commander.

5. Elizabeth gets mad and pulls rank causing John to back down. Then he acts like a spoiled 3 year old and Teyla rolls her eyes at his behavior.

Am I the only one who sees how quickly this becomes just between John and Elizabeth?
              When we did the post-a-thon and you mentioned this it was the first time I really thought about it, I mean, yeah I felt that it was between John and Elizabeth but never really thought much as to how, and I loved how awkward everyone else seem to be, it was like they felt that they were listening in on a private conversation (maybe one that should have been private), but at the same time it looks like something they are quite used to by that point, I dunno, but it is an interesting observation.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brie View Post
                When we did the post-a-thon and you mentioned this it was the first time I really thought about it, I mean, yeah I felt that it was between John and Elizabeth but never really thought much as to how, and I loved how awkward everyone else seem to be, it was like they felt that they were listening in on a private conversation (maybe one that should have been private), but at the same time it looks like something they are quite used to by that point, I dunno, but it is an interesting observation.
                Very good point on the awkwardness of everyone else.

And here's part 2.

(Peter presses buttons on his console. As John walks towards the doors of the gym, they close just before he can reach them.)

SHEPPARD: What the hell is this?

WEIR: You said so yourself -- you are the ranking military officer. I can't chance you getting infected.

SHEPPARD: I can't chance you getting infected. Bates?

BATES (in the Control Room): Yes, sir.

SHEPPARD: Unlock the gym.

BATES: Yes, sir. (He walks towards the console.)

WEIR: Stand down, Bates. (Into comms) You are not in command here, Major.

SHEPPARD: Well, we'll agree to disagree. Bates, open the door.

(Bates looks at Elizabeth for a moment, then steps forward again.)

WEIR (firmly): Don't.

(Bates stops again.)

SHEPPARD: Elizabeth, he's heading right for you.

WEIR: So we'll stop him. We'll talk him down, we'll block his way, we'll ...

SHEPPARD: Sergeant Bates, I am ordering you to open up the doors between the gym and the med lab right now.

(In the Control Room, Elizabeth and Bates commence a stare-down. Bates' expression is resolute; Elizabeth is trying to look firm but she's clearly afraid that he is going to disobey her in favour of his commanding officer.)

(In the gym, a few seconds later the doors slide open.)

SHEPPARD: We're heading out. (He runs off. Teyla grabs her bag and follows.)

(In the Control Room, Bates is unsuccessfully trying to hide his smug expression.)

1. So here they both say they can't chance the other getting infected. What is this about? Let's review, shall we?

a. Elizabeth didn't want John to leave the gym because he might get infected.
                b. John knew that because he argued with her that he probably wouldn't get infected between the gym and the control room.
                c. Now we see both of them worried about the other, and this statement makes it sound like John wants to be let out so HE CAN SAVE HER. Can this be possible?

2. They argue about who's in charge of Bates, and then John tips his hand by calling her name and telling her that Peterson is heading right for her. Not that Peterson is on the loose and can infect who knows how many people but that HE IS HEADING RIGHT FOR ELIZABETH. Right there the whole thing becomes personal and just between them. If the argument truly was about them needing to stay alive because they were in charge, why appeal to her personally by saying her first name? Wouldn't they have wanted to keep it professional because the whole expedition could hear them? Shouldn't the argument have been about why each was needed because she was a good leader, who will run the city..... or that he was the highest ranking officer and the only pilot....?

3. Then when he gets released, John runs out without so much as a backward glance at Teyla, assuming she will follow.
                sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

sigpic
                  My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                  poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Very good point on the awkwardness of everyone else.

And here's part 2.

(Peter presses buttons on his console. As John walks towards the doors of the gym, they close just before he can reach them.)

SHEPPARD: What the hell is this?

WEIR: You said so yourself -- you are the ranking military officer. I can't chance you getting infected.

SHEPPARD: I can't chance you getting infected. Bates?

BATES (in the Control Room): Yes, sir.

SHEPPARD: Unlock the gym.

BATES: Yes, sir. (He walks towards the console.)

WEIR: Stand down, Bates. (Into comms) You are not in command here, Major.

SHEPPARD: Well, we'll agree to disagree. Bates, open the door.

(Bates looks at Elizabeth for a moment, then steps forward again.)

WEIR (firmly): Don't.

(Bates stops again.)

SHEPPARD: Elizabeth, he's heading right for you.

WEIR: So we'll stop him. We'll talk him down, we'll block his way, we'll ...

SHEPPARD: Sergeant Bates, I am ordering you to open up the doors between the gym and the med lab right now.

(In the Control Room, Elizabeth and Bates commence a stare-down. Bates' expression is resolute; Elizabeth is trying to look firm but she's clearly afraid that he is going to disobey her in favour of his commanding officer.)

(In the gym, a few seconds later the doors slide open.)

SHEPPARD: We're heading out. (He runs off. Teyla grabs her bag and follows.)

(In the Control Room, Bates is unsuccessfully trying to hide his smug expression.)

1. So here they both say they can't chance the other getting infected. What is this about? Let's review, shall we?

a. Elizabeth didn't want John to leave the gym because he might get infected.
                    b. John knew that because he argued with her that he probably wouldn't get infected between the gym and the control room.
                    c. Now we see both of them worried about the other, and this statement makes it sound like John wants to be let out so HE CAN SAVE HER. Can this be possible?

2. They argue about who's in charge of Bates, and then John tips his hand by calling her name and telling her that Peterson is heading right for her. Not that Peterson is on the loose and can infect who knows how many people but that HE IS HEADING RIGHT FOR ELIZABETH. Right there the whole thing becomes personal and just between them. If the argument truly was about them needing to stay alive because they were in charge, why appeal to her personally by saying her first name? Wouldn't they have wanted to keep it professional because the whole expedition could hear them? Shouldn't the argument have been about why each was needed because she was a good leader, who will run the city..... or that he was the highest ranking officer and the only pilot....?.
                    I think you have a point with both those points; the whole thing became really personal really fast, it’s especially obvious if you also look at the last scene in Elizabeth’s office, in it you can really see that John tries to get out of the office before Elizabeth brings up what happened here and what kind of effect it had, and you can really see that John wasn’t happy about what he did even if he felt that it was necessary. I also must admit that I did like the part where Elizabeth brings up that both General O’Neill and Colonel Sumner had warned her about him and his sometimes inability to follow others command, and while he does say that he did what he thought was necessary deep down you can almost tell that he realise that she did say that even if they won’t always get along, she does trust in him by having him come along to ‘Atlantis’ despite what other, who did know him, said. I really think this was a good episode for John and Elizabeth’s relationship (friendship and work-relationship if you like), it was a learning curve for them since this was the first time they really didn’t get along on something (sure they have had other moments like that but not like this other than I guess in ‘rising’ but it was so new then that it’s not the same), I’m also convinced that more happened between ‘The Storm/The Eye’ and ‘Hot Zone’ than we just got to see in ‘The Defiant One’, maybe even much more because suddenly everything, like you wrote, became personal on a whole new level than just “The Boss” and he highest ranking military officer, I don’t know what happened but it got to be something.

3. Then when he gets released, John runs out without so much as a backward glance at Teyla, assuming she will follow.
                    That was hoever definalty not something new and happened pretty much all the time.
                    sigpic

Comment

I made my deadline!

There are three new chapters of "We'll Always Have M51-936" posted for your reading pleasure!!!
                      Wheeeeee! New Sparky fic for reading tonight!

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                      How about when the stromtrooper hit his head on the door in Episode IV?
                      I didn't notice that either. I used to be obsessed with Star Wars, so how did I not notice that??!? Too busy watching Harrison Ford, I suppose.

You don't really mean that ... do you?

Waiting for "The Hunger Games" to come to cheap theater. Still wanna see it. I should take a page out of JT's book and go read some HG fic.
                      Just be warned that there is a LOT of crappy HG fic out there. Holy smokes. Teenagers today think it's acceptable to write "Peeta and I's supplies". "I's"?!? WTF is that about?! I've never seen that written in my life before reading HG fic.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                      You would be looking at his instrument, no?

Spoiler:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34371[/ATTACH]
                      That is where my brain headed in the post I self-modded. I knew you'd get the dirty innuendo.

I got a great hug from him just by looking pitiful asking nicely, so I'm sure I could have gotten a song also..
                      I have to start practicing that look for August.

Good morning, everybody!

It's been a slow morning due to FCAT testing so I brought my computer with me and figured i'd make the most of it. So I did some pics and started a new chapter of fic. I'm amazed I'm actually working through it quickly, as least compared to my last couple of stories. When this one gets done, I'm itching to start a new AU where John is a hot high school math teacher. Hee hee.

Anyhoo. Back to work!

And a Sparky thought: out of all the episodes we've rewatched so far, what would you say is the best Sparky moment so far?
                      John as math teacher - my favorite guilty pleasure.

What she said. Most definitely. Those were the first episodes I watched, so I was hooked on Sparky from the start.

Comment

*dries tears of face*

Just finished the last episode of the Titanic miniseries... it broke my heart into ittybity pieces while the plotbunnies were screaming on the other side of the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                          http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w254/poundpuppy29/Sparky/SparkyLFP2.jpg
                          John, where did Rodney get that video footage of us out on the East pier?
                          I don't know, but I think we could have done better there.

My brain's too frazzled to handle SR's great discussion right now.
                          Last edited by Rosehawk; 17 April 2012, 06:21 PM. Reason: Remove IMG tags

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                            Wheeeeee! New Sparky fic for reading tonight!

I didn't notice that either. I used to be obsessed with Star Wars, so how did I not notice that??!? Too busy watching Harrison Ford, I suppose.

Just be warned that there is a LOT of crappy HG fic out there. Holy smokes. Teenagers today think it's acceptable to write "Peeta and I's supplies". "I's"?!? WTF is that about?! I've never seen that written in my life before reading HG fic.
                            Umm, Harrison Ford is the reason I watched Star Wars.

I'll try and find the good HG fic, or the plot bunnies say I should write my own. *shakes head* Too busy, guys, sorry.

John as math teacher - my favorite guilty pleasure.
                            I'll remember to let you know first when I get it started. I already have the perfect idea of how we're going to be introduced to "Mr. Sheppard". Mwah ha ha!

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                            John, where did Rodney get that video footage of us out on the East pier?
                            I don't know, but I think we could have done better there.

My brain's too frazzled to handle SR's great discussion right now.
                            I gotta give him credit. I don't know how he filmed at that angle without falling off the side of the tower.
                            Seriously.

I'm too fried to add anything meaningful right now either.

Comment

The way you describe it makes it seem like, to me at least, like the kids (the rest of the expedition) don't like it when mom (Elizabeth) and dad (John) fight in front of them.
                              I'm going to have to watch this episode again in the very near future to see if I get that vibe or not.
                              I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

I think you have a point with both those points; the whole thing became really personal really fast, it’s especially obvious if you also look at the last scene in Elizabeth’s office, in it you can really see that John tries to get out of the office before Elizabeth brings up what happened here and what kind of effect it had, and you can really see that John wasn’t happy about what he did even if he felt that it was necessary. I also must admit that I did like the part where Elizabeth brings up that both General O’Neill and Colonel Sumner had warned her about him and his sometimes inability to follow others command, and while he does say that he did what he thought was necessary deep down you can almost tell that he realise that she did say that even if they won’t always get along, she does trust in him by having him come along to ‘Atlantis’ despite what other, who did know him, said. I really think this was a good episode for John and Elizabeth’s relationship (friendship and work-relationship if you like), it was a learning curve for them since this was the first time they really didn’t get along on something (sure they have had other moments like that but not like this other than I guess in ‘rising’ but it was so new then that it’s not the same), I’m also convinced that more happened between ‘The Storm/The Eye’ and ‘Hot Zone’ than we just got to see in ‘The Defiant One’, maybe even much more because suddenly everything, like you wrote, became personal on a whole new level than just “The Boss” and he highest ranking military officer, I don’t know what happened but it got to be something.
                                I really agree with the bolded part, Brie. The bond they always showed seemed to strengthen even more. Aren't most of the eyesex scenes after these few episodes?
                                There had to have been some sort of conversation where lots of things got ironed out on all levels between them. You don't have entire conversations by just sharing a look without knowing the other person really well.
                                I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Working...
                                X