Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
    Like Scotty looking for his mark before he's beamed up at the end of City on the Edge of Forever?
    Never saw that. *waits for thread to hit me*

Comment

I made my deadline!

There are three new chapters of "We'll Always Have M51-936" posted for your reading pleasure!!!

Comment

Chaya - you can say whatever you like but I liked her very much.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
          Never saw that. *waits for thread to hit me*
          How about when the stromtrooper hit his head on the door in Episode IV?
          I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

How about when the stromtrooper hit his head on the door in Episode IV?
            Have you ever worn one of those helmets? Cause there should have been more hits with the limited sight.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              You are dead to me.

We went to see The Hunger Games today and enjoyed it very much. They did a fine job.
              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                You are dead to me.

We went to see The Hunger Games today and enjoyed it very much. They did a fine job.
                You don't really mean that ... do you?

Waiting for "The Hunger Games" to come to cheap theater. Still wanna see it. I should take a page out of JT's book and go read some HG fic.

Comment

You are dead to me.

I still need to read the books. I was reminded of that when I saw the hardcovers at Costco today for 10.93 each.
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                    I still need to read the books. I was reminded of that when I saw the hardcovers at Costco today for 10.93 each.
                    The books are good, but like any movie based on a book, there are always differences. But good reading.

Heading to bed, need sleep horribly. Just watched season premiere of "Eureka" and "Castle". WOW. More on that laters, after everyone's seen them.

Night!!!

Comment

Have you ever worn one of those helmets? Cause there should have been more hits with the limited sight.
                      Not yet. I have, however, read an article in Star Wars Insider where the limited sight was mentioned.
                      I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Glad you had fun. We missed you yesterday.

I was thinking about that. I'm not sure by Hot Zone how long they had been in Atlantis, only a few months for certain. Maybe they were gradually giving the gene shot to first the scientists and then maybe it would have been offered to the military guys. They definitely needed more pilots, but they wouldn't have known that before discovering the puddle jumpers. If so, they would have brought them from Earth.
                        I do remember reading a character bio (that's probably a bit grandiose, more like a blurb) for Rodney when the show began that mentioned he was jealous of those with the ATA gene (specifically Sheppard) which was why he was so eager to have the highly experimental gene therapy. Although, if that was the intention, the scene that conveyed that made it seem less of an issue.

Perhaps they rolled it out slowly in case there were any side effects?

Originally, John was more valuable for the gene than his piloting skills. Surely TPTB must have had an idea to make a big deal out of him since that is, after all, the whole premise of their including him in the expedition. *massive sarcastic eye roll*
                        It's possible that that was their plan until s2, when they had regular contact with Earth. Until that point, nobody else could fly the jumpers particularly well.

That's a thought. And I always wondered about the part in Adrift when all the people with the gene suddenly become pilots. I know there was some throwaway line about them taking flying lessons, but come on. Just because you can make all the controls light up doesn't mean you can fly the thing in a straight line. Rodney is proof of that. It's probably quite a bit harder than driving your Prius to the grocery store.
                        Rodney did whine on about how they weren't all pilots, but its not like it actually mattered. It would have hammered the point home if some of them had died. Like you rightly point out, its not like driving a Prius. Just because I can fly a remote control helicopter doesn't mean I can fly an F-18 in combat For that matter, I can't see John being able to fly a 302 either. The Deadalus, perhaps, although I'd be looking over his shoulder before he tried to take it into hyperspace

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                        Throwing in 2 cents about the ATA discussion - is it possible that they did more research (behind the scenes) and worked on the gene some more to the point that it had higher that a 48% success rate?
                        It's possible. I'm sure if the gene ever became an issue again they would have mentioned it. I can't recall if Carson mentioned anything about the success rate during The Tower.

Hee hee. I didn't notice it either because it goes by too fast. But some clever person posted pics when it first aired. Besides, I wouldn't exactly be looking at his hands.
                        You would be looking at his instrument, no?

Spoiler:

I'm sure you'd get a beautiful tune out of him if you asked nicely

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                        I like that.
                        They threw that out the window when Ford managed to fly one though. Especially when he shouldn't have even been able to turn it on

Seriously! The gene was supposed to be Sheppard's Big Thing. You'd think TPTW would've had a plan...
                        I'm giving them considerable leeway here, I know, but I suspect they would have used that idea a bit more had they not put the ancient related stuff on the backburner from the start of s2

It's still my personal canon that John unconsciously broke through the nanites and reached Elizabeth with his Mad ATA Skillz.
                        There isn't enough evidence to support either of our positions fully on this issue

Like Scotty looking for his mark before he's beamed up at the end of City on the Edge of Forever?
                        Really? Lolz. I just saw a video review of that ep this week, it didn't look too bad.

I liked her too, although the ep does give me a few logic headaches, as s1 eps from many shows are wont to do

This is probably a dumb question, but are the Storm Troopers even human? Cause those helmets don't look like they were designed for a normal shaped head, unless they also have some sort of breathing apparatus for exposure to space.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post

Rodney did whine on about how they weren't all pilots, but its not like it actually mattered. It would have hammered the point home if some of them had died. Like you rightly point out, its not like driving a Prius. Just because I can fly a remote control helicopter doesn't mean I can fly an F-18 in combat For that matter, I can't see John being able to fly a 302 either. The Deadalus, perhaps, although I'd be looking over his shoulder before he tried to take it into hyperspace
                          They think they covered that quite adequately when they had John tell Elizabeth that he can fly anything. But we all know that's not possible. You just have to hand wave that or drive yourself crazy.

I was thinking his face, but that works too.

I got a great hug from him just by looking pitiful asking nicely, so I'm sure I could have gotten a song also.

They threw that out the window when Ford managed to fly one though. Especially when he shouldn't have even been able to turn it on
                          Actually they explained that in the dialogue, but there was still a lot of chatter about it on the episode thread and elsewhere.

Spoiler:
                          WEIR (to Rodney): Can they detect that?

McKAY: I don't know.

WEIR: Shut it down!

McKAY: I can't -- the Jumper's in control.
                          I think the general explanation was that dialing the gate on the jumper gave control to the jumper, which then proceeded automatically. *shrugs* It's a stretch but not as big of a one as some of their explanations.

I liked her too, although the ep does give me a few logic headaches, as s1 eps from many shows are wont to do
                          And now you also are dead to me.
                          sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Spoiler:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34371[/ATTACH]

I'm giving them considerable leeway here, I know, but I suspect they would have used that idea a bit more had they not put the ancient related stuff on the backburner from the start of s2
                            That's probably the best explanation anyone can give. And hey, it's not like we don't give them a lot of leeway in other areas too.

There isn't enough evidence to support either of our positions fully on this issue

This is probably a dumb question, but are the Storm Troopers even human? Cause those helmets don't look like they were designed for a normal shaped head, unless they also have some sort of breathing apparatus for exposure to space.
                            Of course they're human. Well, human clones. Didn't you see the Star Wars prequel trilogy?

I got a great hug from him just by looking pitiful asking nicely, so I'm sure I could have gotten a song also.
                            Heeheehee!

Actually they explained that in the dialogue, but there was still a lot of chatter about it on the episode thread and elsewhere.

Spoiler:
                            WEIR (to Rodney): Can they detect that?

McKAY: I don't know.

WEIR: Shut it down!

McKAY: I can't -- the Jumper's in control.
                            I think the general explanation was that dialing the gate on the jumper gave control to the jumper, which then proceeded automatically. *shrugs* It's a stretch but not as big of a one as some of their explanations.
                            Indeed.
                            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Good morning, everybody!

It's been a slow morning due to FCAT testing so I brought my computer with me and figured i'd make the most of it. So I did some pics and started a new chapter of fic. I'm amazed I'm actually working through it quickly, as least compared to my last couple of stories. When this one gets done, I'm itching to start a new AU where John is a hot high school math teacher. Hee hee.

Anyhoo. Back to work!

And a Sparky thought: out of all the episodes we've rewatched so far, what would you say is the best Sparky moment so far?

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                                Good morning, everybody!

It's been a slow morning due to FCAT testing so I brought my computer with me and figured i'd make the most of it. So I did some pics and started a new chapter of fic. I'm amazed I'm actually working through it quickly, as least compared to my last couple of stories. When this one gets done, I'm itching to start a new AU where John is a hot high school math teacher. Hee hee.

Anyhoo. Back to work!

And a Sparky thought: out of all the episodes we've rewatched so far, what would you say is the best Sparky moment so far?
                                So far? Ummm....that would have to be the big rescue scene in The Eye. I know that was the beginning of shipping them for a lot of people.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X