Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Good evening, Sparkies! Hope you've all had a Happy Lazy Sunday! Had a blast at the Ren Faire and my feet are DED after all that walking around. Also ended up scoring some free tickets, so I will probably be going back at some point in the next five weeks.

Looks like y'all had fun with the post-a-thon, some of the comments had me falling out of my chair! I'm definitely looking forward to the remainder of the Season 1 episodes; we're in for a crazy ride!
    Glad you had fun. We missed you yesterday.

Yeah, one would think. Could be because it's still technically experimental and they don't want to expose everyone to it yet, just in case nasty side effects crop up. Which of course makes one wonder why the chronic hypochondriac McKay went for it, but he has sometimes exhibited a tendency to look before he leapt.

Actually, if you think about it, it does make sense in the in-show universe. Having the ATA gene is (or was, before TPTW started diminishing it) supposed to be a BIG THING as far as Atlantis goes. In terms of storytelling, giving everyone the ATA gene would take away it's "specialness."
    I was thinking about that. I'm not sure by Hot Zone how long they had been in Atlantis, only a few months for certain. Maybe they were gradually giving the gene shot to first the scientists and then maybe it would have been offered to the military guys. They definitely needed more pilots, but they wouldn't have known that before discovering the puddle jumpers. If so, they would have brought them from Earth.

Originally, John was more valuable for the gene than his piloting skills. Surely TPTB must have had an idea to make a big deal out of him since that is, after all, the whole premise of their including him in the expedition. *massive sarcastic eye roll*

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
    Glad you had a good time

They could get around that by making some of the technology harder to use, like the jumpers for instance. Give people the power to turn things on, but only actual pilots could fly the jumpers.
    That's a thought. And I always wondered about the part in Adrift when all the people with the gene suddenly become pilots. I know there was some throwaway line about them taking flying lessons, but come on. Just because you can make all the controls light up doesn't mean you can fly the thing in a straight line. Rodney is proof of that. It's probably quite a bit harder than driving your Prius to the grocery store.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Throwing in 2 cents about the ATA discussion - is it possible that they did more research (behind the scenes) and worked on the gene some more to the point that it had higher that a 48% success rate?

What am I saying? Anything's possible.

I will have more fic posted after work today. It involves cuddling. *fluffy sigh*

Comment

So sorry I missed the post-a-thon! It's a great episode, too. I never noticed Joe's wedding ring in that scene. I guess I'm not watching Joe as closely as Southern Red is.

Well, next week is Sanctuary and there's some massive laughs I can have with that one.

Comment

Oh yeah, and congratulations to ShipperWriter on your sister's engagement!!

Comment

Hello everyone!

ShipperWriter, I'm glad to hear that you had a good evening yesterday and congrats on your sisters engagement.

Scary Kitty, glad to hear that you had fun at the fair though it sucks when your feet hurt from it.

Looks like y'all had fun with the post-a-thon, some of the comments had me falling out of my chair! I'm definitely looking forward to the remainder of the Season 1 episodes; we're in for a crazy ride!
            The craziness have only begun.

Yeah, one would think. Could be because it's still technically experimental and they don't want to expose everyone to it yet, just in case nasty side effects crop up. Which of course makes one wonder why the chronic hypochondriac McKay went for it, but he has sometimes exhibited a tendency to look before he leapt.

Actually, if you think about it, it does make sense in the in-show universe. Having the ATA gene is (or was, before TPTW started diminishing it) supposed to be a BIG THING as far as Atlantis goes. In terms of storytelling, giving everyone the ATA gene would take away it's "specialness."
            One can only guess, another thing that I was thinking about is when McKay say that it was most likly the ATA-gene that saved him, it's interesting that they seem to have forgoten about it in TRW when they acted all surprised when Sheppard wasn't infected by the nanites after he saved Liz, now it's possible that since it was different circumstances then that they didn't think about it but since there are so many contradictions in the show one can't help but wonder what they had in mind, though one shouldn't complain about TRW, it's a really good episode.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
              So sorry I missed the post-a-thon! It's a great episode, too. I never noticed Joe's wedding ring in that scene. I guess I'm not watching Joe as closely as Southern Red is.

Well, next week is Sanctuary and there's some massive laughs I can have with that one.
              Hee hee. I didn't notice it either because it goes by too fast. But some clever person posted pics when it first aired. Besides, I wouldn't exactly be looking at his hands.
              sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Congrats to your sister, ShipperWriter!

Originally posted by Pocus View Post
                I am glad you had fun at the Ren Faire. We have season tickets to ours, but it is runs August through October. We get the whole run of weather......boiling hot to freezing cold. Last year the final weekend was snowed out.
                Snow? Yikes! Ours runs from April through mid-May; a few years back we got rain dumping so much they had to shut down for the day and give everyone comp tickets, and by the end of the run, it's often roasting hot (sometimes with the dreaded Santa Ana winds). Yesterday was pretty decent, around 70 degrees with a bit of a breeze. And I managed to get sunburned on the backs of my hands. WTF?? Next time, I'm wearing gloves, I don't care how stupid I look. But I'm still going back this year; gonna try to spend some time doing some of the activities I never get around to.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                They could get around that by making some of the technology harder to use, like the jumpers for instance. Give people the power to turn things on, but only actual pilots could fly the jumpers.
                I like that.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                I was thinking about that. I'm not sure by Hot Zone how long they had been in Atlantis, only a few months for certain. Maybe they were gradually giving the gene shot to first the scientists and then maybe it would have been offered to the military guys. They definitely needed more pilots, but they wouldn't have known that before discovering the puddle jumpers. If so, they would have brought them from Earth.

Originally, John was more valuable for the gene than his piloting skills. Surely TPTB must have had an idea to make a big deal out of him since that is, after all, the whole premise of their including him in the expedition. *massive sarcastic eye roll*
                Seriously! The gene was supposed to be Sheppard's Big Thing. You'd think TPTW would've had a plan...

That's a thought. And I always wondered about the part in Adrift when all the people with the gene suddenly become pilots. I know there was some throwaway line about them taking flying lessons, but come on. Just because you can make all the controls light up doesn't mean you can fly the thing in a straight line. Rodney is proof of that. It's probably quite a bit harder than driving your Prius to the grocery store.
                *nods* Indeed, which is why I made special note of how everyone on the jumper flights introduced in Atlantis Rising were all pilots before coming to Atlantis. If you're going to be potentially flying combat missions, you need people with experience in doing so, even if it's in a different kind of craft.

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                Throwing in 2 cents about the ATA discussion - is it possible that they did more research (behind the scenes) and worked on the gene some more to the point that it had higher that a 48% success rate?

What am I saying? Anything's possible.

I will have more fic posted after work today. It involves cuddling. *fluffy sigh*
                Absolutely possible!

Fluffy cuddling fic? Looking forward to it!

Ohhh, I can't wait to play with AthTart.

Originally posted by Brie View Post
                One can only guess, another thing that I was thinking about is when McKay say that it was most likly the ATA-gene that saved him, it's interesting that they seem to have forgoten about it in TRW when they acted all surprised when Sheppard wasn't infected by the nanites after he saved Liz, now it's possible that since it was different circumstances then that they didn't think about it but since there are so many contradictions in the show one can't help but wonder what they had in mind, though one shouldn't complain about TRW, it's a really good episode.
                It's still my personal canon that John unconsciously broke through the nanites and reached Elizabeth with his Mad ATA Skillz.
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Yeah, I forgot to mention earlier that I went back and looped the end scene from HZ as well. It's funny how quickly he hid his hand from the camera.

And thanks for all the congrats!

Comment

Hee hee. I didn't notice it either because it goes by too fast. But some clever person posted pics when it first aired. Besides, I wouldn't exactly be looking at his hands.
                    I just went and deleted my original post in response to this.

BAD BRAIN!!

Comment

Yeah, I forgot to mention earlier that I went back and looped the end scene from HZ as well. It's funny how quickly he hid his hand from the camera.

I just went and deleted my original post in response to this.

BAD BRAIN!!
                      Methinks I'm going to have to go crank up the laptop so I can watch that scene.
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

And it looks like he has a "Uh oh" expression right before he covers it with his other hand. Then it stays out of sight until near the end when he's back in the chair and you can see it again for just a split second.

My computer is acting up or I would do screen caps.

Methinks I'm going to have to go crank up the laptop so I can watch that scene.
                        It's worth it, believe me. Just for the humor of it all. I think there was another time too, but I've forgotten when. Plus I've seen screen caps of a similar mistake in Thoughtcrimes in the scene when he's driving in the car. It's even more obvious there.
                        sigpic

Comment

And it looks like he has a "Uh oh" expression right before he covers it with his other hand. Then it stays out of sight until near the end when he's back in the chair and you can see it again for just a split second.

My computer is acting up or I would do screen caps.

It's worth it, believe me. Just for the humor of it all. I think there was another time too, but I've forgotten when. Plus I've seen screen caps of a similar mistake in Thoughtcrimes in the scene when he's driving in the car. It's even more obvious there.
                          And there's always the Snickers bar in The Ark (I think).

Oh, and the tape on the floor with Siege 3.

Those kind of things just crack me up.

Comment

Belated joins in congradulating your sister, SW.
                            I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Like Scotty looking for his mark before he's beamed up at the end of City on the Edge of Forever?
                              I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

It's going to be fun, and then after that 'Before I sleep' (which btw I just love that name, I don't know why but it's a very cool episode titel, Carl Binder did a good job with the titels to many of his episodes)

It is pretty funny to look for them. The thing is that there are those you wouldn't think a lot of if they hadn't mentioned them in the commentary etc.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X