Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Ah, that's the one. I wasn't sure if it was just "Shaft" or "Cam Shaft."

Yeah, would be nice to know the others' callsigns. Especially Sheppard. *smirks* However, I think callsigns are usually associated with fighter pilots, not chopper pilots like Shep. Then again, now that Shep does fly fighters, I suppose he might have had a callsign bestowed on him.
    Since Sheppard learned to fly a Jumper in a couple of hours at most and claimed to be able to fly anything, how about Natural?

Just a couple of other ones I just thought up

Lorne = Picasso
    Caldwell = Stogy (didn't Mitch play the Cigar smoking man on X-Files)
    Ellis = Doc (play off character on Third Watch)
    Hammond = Tex
    Landry = Buff as in history buff since he likes to quote historical figures
    O'Neill = Irish or maybe Snark since he is such a wise?!%
    Carter = Brains or maybe Genius
    Pat Meyers (female pilot on Daedalus in a few episodes) = Hokie (Personal canon has her from Virginia and a huge VTech fan)

To keep this on topic, what do you think Elizabeth would think of John's callsign or what does anybody think she might dub him?
    I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
      Since Sheppard learned to fly a Jumper in a couple of hours at most and claimed to be able to fly anything, how about Natural?
      Heh, that could work.

Lorne = Picasso
      Hammond = Tex
      Pat Meyers (female pilot on Daedalus in a few episodes) = Hokie (Personal canon has her from Virginia and a huge VTech fan)
      Lorne = Picasso? That's brilliant!

To keep this on topic, what do you think Elizabeth would think of John's callsign or what does anybody think she might dub him?
      Hmm, a good question. I don't know about calling him Sparky, as it seems a little too obvious. Of course, there's always Elf-Boy. Or maybe something having to do with his wild hair.

On that note, nighty-night Sparkies! And remember... S-minus 14 hours and 28 minutes until our Childhood's End post-a-thon! Ahahahahah!
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Hard to say really. I would have gone with his non-regulation hair. Maverick is obviously out - how about Cruise?

Lorne = Picasso
        Hammond = Tex
        Yes, yes, YES! Hammond = Tex!
        As for Landry, when I read Buff, I thought it was one of those ironic names, like Tiny for Jabba the Hutt. I could see it being amended to was Buff by the junior officers in the SGC. How about Bug (for Bug eyes)? Those eyes always freaked the hell out of me. How does anyone look that surprised without surgery?
        Caldwell was Assistant Director Skinner on the X-Files, the smoking man/Cancer Man was someone else. Shiney? Chromium? I'm guessing he would have had a recede in his twenties, when he would have been given the callsign.
        Pat Meyers? She has a name? I would have gone with Cassidy. Why, you ask? She wouldn't have taken being called Butch too well, plus Cassidy has a nice ring to it. Yes, sexist, I know

She calls him Fly Boy quite often in fic, but that's a nickname, and pretty generic. She does seem to like to tease him, but my mind is a blank at the moment

On that note, nighty-night Sparkies! And remember... S-minus 14 hours and 28 minutes until our Childhood's End post-a-thon! Ahahahahah!
        I predict that the snark will be out in full force for this one, given that I am apparently the only person who likes it
        sigpic

Comment

Lorne = Picasso
          Hammond = Tex

Really, a VT fan? How could I miss that? But Hokie sounds good for her call sign. Remember that the call signs would have been assigned when they were very young. We'd have to know a lot more about most of them to make an educated guess. Isn't Mitchell from Kansas? Maybe "farm boy?" I'm thinking maybe something to do with Math for John, but come up empty.
          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
            Really, a VT fan? How could I miss that? But Hokie sounds good for her call sign. Remember that the call signs would have been assigned when they were very young. We'd have to know a lot more about most of them to make an educated guess. Isn't Mitchell from Kansas? Maybe "farm boy?" I'm thinking maybe something to do with Math for John, but come up empty.
            Farm Boy and Math Boy. Or, Farm Boy and Almost Mensa. Rodney could be Lemonhead (which, of course, is an irony)
            I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday and... Happy 15,000 posts to me. Hmm, must go find some champagne, methinks. Heeheehee!

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
              Hard to say really. I would have gone with his non-regulation hair. Maverick is obviously out - how about Cruise?

Yes, yes, YES! Hammond = Tex!
              I know, right? That one's just perfect.

Pat Meyers? She has a name?
              The good thing about the ship crews is that they put name tags on their uniforms.

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
              Farm Boy and Math Boy. Or, Farm Boy and Almost Mensa. Rodney could be Lemonhead (which, of course, is an irony)
              Mitchell's already called Shaft in canon, so we've got that one. I'm still liking Elf-Boy for John. (Or perhaps Legolas, given movie!Legolas's rather famous moment of surfing on a shield during the Battle of Helm's Deep in The Two Towers, then surfing down the trunk of an oliphaunt during the Battle of Pelennor Fields in Return of the King. Yes, I'm an LotR geek. The movies came out well after John would've finished basic training and all, but if he didn't get a fighter pilot-style callsign until Atlantis, the timing works.) As I understand it (SR can probably tell us more about it), callsigns are often jokes of some type, so bestowing Rodney with Lemonhead after he learns how to fly a jumper is perfect.

And... S-minus 4 hours and 15 minutes to the Childhood's End post-a-thon!
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I'm on iPod so can't really get rid of img tags ... Don't kill me!

I have these.
                Spoiler:

I don't know how it works in the big Air Force, but when SR Jr. was in ROTC he got a call sign. They had some big ceremony or whatever and made a big deal of it. I know someone I can ask though.
                Thanks, Auntie!

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday and... Happy 15,000 posts to me. Hmm, must go find some champagne, methinks. Heeheehee!

The good thing about the ship crews is that they put name tags on their uniforms.

Mitchell's already called Shaft in canon, so we've got that one. I'm still liking Elf-Boy for John. (Or perhaps Legolas, given movie!Legolas's rather famous moment of surfing on a shield during the Battle of Helm's Deep in The Two Towers, then surfing down the trunk of an oliphaunt during the Battle of Pelennor Fields in Return of the King. Yes, I'm an LotR geek. The movies came out well after John would've finished basic training and all, but if he didn't get a fighter pilot-style callsign until Atlantis, the timing works.) As I understand it (SR can probably tell us more about it), callsigns are often jokes of some type, so bestowing Rodney with Lemonhead after he learns how to fly a jumper is perfect.

Congratulations!!!

I can imagine the call signs that would've been given out to those on Atlantis with the ATA gene. Lemon head is perfect for Rodney!

I'm still liking Sparky for John. And it could even be because of the hair. He stuck his finger in an electrical plug and voila!

I'll see if I'll be here for post-a-thon. If I'm at home, I may not be able to get away from family. Migt have to escape for an hour to Starbucks and "research". LOL

Comment

This calls for a celebration.

Rodney wouldn't get a call sign because he's not Air Force, but it's fun to imagine. And yes, they are indeed often inside jokes. It's like naming a puppy. Sometimes it takes time. Other times you know right away.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

S-minus 1 hour to the Childhood's End post-a-thon!

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                    Congratulations!!!
                    This calls for a celebration.

Squee! Thank you, both of you!

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                    I'm still liking Sparky for John. And it could even be because of the hair. He stuck his finger in an electrical plug and voila!
                    Or maybe Zap.

Rodney wouldn't get a call sign because he's not Air Force, but it's fun to imagine. And yes, they are indeed often inside jokes. It's like naming a puppy. Sometimes it takes time. Other times you know right away.
                    And we all know how much John is like a puppy.

Comment

Well, who can stop us to give everyone call signs? (Seriously, can't you imagine the boys thinking of various names just to kill time?)

Comment

S-minus 30 minutes to Childhood's End!

Comment

You know guys, this thing with call signs calls for a fic.

Comment

Well, who can stop us to give everyone call signs? (Seriously, can't you imagine the boys thinking of various names just to kill time?)
                            True, I can certainly see them doing it for fun even if it's not "official." If nothing else but to annoy the snot outta Rodney when they dub him Lemonhead.

Comment

You know guys, this thing with call signs calls for a fic.
                              A very, very cracky fic.

Speaking of fic, how's it coming with Box of Dreams?

Comment

S-minus 15 minutes!

And OMG, look at all the lurkers who are here! C'mon everyone, say hello!

Comment

Working...
                                X