Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    I have to cross post this. Pocus wrote a cute fic for the whump challenge of sending John get well cards. There's a cute Elizabeth part:

http://abracah.livejournal.com/53425.html#cutid1

That's why I changed back to my old sig.

Hope you don't mind, Pocus. It was just too cute to not share.
    *blushes* Thanks JT!!
    sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
      Could be worse. Right after I graduated from college in 2000, I had to show a kid how to use the rotary phone in the pressbox at my old high school.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      That actually makes sense. I don't have any personal canon that I like, but I can think of a number of things that bother me to no end. Like having John be an academy grad. That just makes me LOL. He'd never make it through all the restrictions. Not to mention the daily inspections. And having John not eat enough. That's an old one that pretty much went away when it came out that Joe is a hearty eater but just works it off.
      OMG, THIS. It drives me nuts to see fics where John is stated to have graduated from the Air Force Academy, because he's been shown on the show to be just too loose in his own discipline with regards to certain regs to make the cut. Based on what we've seen, my guess is that John went to a regular 4-year university (possibly also getting a master's degree after his bachelor's, though that's certainly debatable) and got into the Air Force either via ROTC while in university, or he entered through Officer Training School after graduation.

When it comes to the earliest fics, I can understand where the Academy idea came from. Apparently right after the series began, the character profiles on the MGM and SciFi Channel websites stated that Sheppard's father was a colonel during the Cold War, so people probably assumed from that that Sheppard had gone to the Academy. Outcast pretty well blew that out of the water, though.

One that always gets me is people having John say he knows pi to a big number of digits. Being a math nerd doesn't mean you'd have that memorized. But that's just the mathgirl in me. I recognize that non-math people may not realize that.

Oh, and we discussed this awhile ago... how everyone has Elizabeth being cold and John being warm. Yes, by the law of averages that's probably true, but it makes me laugh how it's so often used in fic.
      *bites tongue and grins at certain spoilers for SGA Rising*

I have to cross post this. Pocus wrote a cute fic for the whump challenge of sending John get well cards. There's a cute Elizabeth part:

Eeeeeee! That is totally cute! Pocus, you rock! *flails and squees*
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Thanks SK!! Glad you liked it.

I thought it was funny that after I posted it, I came here and you guys were talking about that scene.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pocus View Post

I thought it was funny that after I posted it, I came here and you guys were talking about that scene.
          Yeah, I too thought it was a weird bit of coincidence!! You mentioned the wench.

Comment

Hey JT Do you have all the days filled on the Sparky Advent or would you like me to do a couple of spares???
            sigpic
            Thank you ladygris for my lovely sig and avi

Comment

That was just adorable and so in character for all of them.
              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Thanks SR!!!
                sigpic

Comment

Oh my gosh this is my first time to the Gateworld forums.. and I think I've already found my favorite Thread<3 <3

Comment

Originally posted by sobeckst View Post
                    Oh my gosh this is my first time to the Gateworld forums.. and I think I've already found my favorite Thread<3 <3
                    Welcome.... We're honoured to be the recipients of your first post ..... hang on a bit and I'm certain the other's will be along to say Hi

Have some Sparky goodness to start off your GateWorld experience

sigpic
                    Thank you ladygris for my lovely sig and avi

Comment

Hi and welcome. It is certainly our favorite thread, that's for sure. And here's why.

sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Ouch.

One that always gets me is people having John say he knows pi to a big number of digits. Being a math nerd doesn't mean you'd have that memorized. But that's just the mathgirl in me. I recognize that non-math people may not realize that.

Oh, and we discussed this awhile ago... how everyone has Elizabeth being cold and John being warm. Yes, by the law of averages that's probably true, but it makes me laugh how it's so often used in fic.

My mom and aunt have used that phrase as well.
                        Heee the hot and cold thing, I'm guilty of using it. But I use it simply because it's my own personal experience - I'm easily colldddddd and my husband is like a permanent heater. *G*

What ticks me off, when it comes to fics, are the authors who just ahve to put Elizabeth in a superior place to John, each and every time, no matter what it's about. Elizabeth just has to be better. God forbid if John was good at something, or they're equals.
                        I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Ooooo a newbie! Hello, newbie! Make yourself at home here. *G*
                          I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Welcome to the Sparky thread, sobeckst! Grab a mojito (our official drink) from the bar, pull up a chair, and enjoy the fun! We're glad to have you here!

Originally posted by Pocus View Post

Hahahah! I know, that was a crackalicious coincidence. But hey, that's the beauty of fandom-incited shared psychic psychosis!

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                            Heee the hot and cold thing, I'm guilty of using it. But I use it simply because it's my own personal experience - I'm easily colldddddd and my husband is like a permanent heater. *G*
                            Heehee!

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                            What ticks me off, when it comes to fics, are the authors who just ahve to put Elizabeth in a superior place to John, each and every time, no matter what it's about. Elizabeth just has to be better. God forbid if John was good at something, or they're equals.
                            Oh, no kidding! I get how Elizabeth fans want to make her look good (heck, so do we!), but it should never be at the expense of John or any of the other characters. And really, that should be true of every character; don't make one character look good at the expense of another. It's just bad, selfish writing.
                            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Round one of secret project completed and we win. Phew.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                              *bites tongue and grins at certain spoilers for SGA Rising*
                              I want to know NOW!

Originally posted by Madness reigns View Post
                              Hey JT Do you have all the days filled on the Sparky Advent or would you like me to do a couple of spares???
                              Hey there. I actually just got one more filled today. That only leaves one open slot. I'd like to leave that open in case any other people would like to volunteer. If no one does volunteer for that last slot, then I could use one of your extras. Otherwise, we can always have more than 1 per day.

WELCOME!!!! sparkyflowercoupleli4.gif

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                              Oh, no kidding! I get how Elizabeth fans want to make her look good (heck, so do we!), but it should never be at the expense of John or any of the other characters. And really, that should be true of every character; don't make one character look good at the expense of another. It's just bad, selfish writing.
                              THIS!!

Comment

Oh yeah, another fanon thing.

John went to see Elizabeth's mother after the events of Lifeline and/or This Mortal Coil.

There's in canon support of this idea with him going to see Ford's cousin in Intruder.

I've seen this idea referenced in a million fics, and it's an idea I support.

Comment

Working...
                                X