Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Madness reigns View Post
    De-lurking (again!!) to share a little something I made for this weeks 'tutorial week' on the Artwork for All thread

Just seems like the perfect place to share this
    Great work!!! Feel free to share with us more often.
    I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Because male characters have more fans so killing off Zelenka or Lorne was just not done.

*pouts*
      Well, I liked the way they used Kate. She wasn't in many eps, but when she was there, she had a substantial role. I didn't see what they gained by killing her off at the time, and I still don't now. And while some people might be shocked, with the benefit of hindsight I wouldn't have had a problem with them killing off Lorne, so long as it was later in the season (perhaps if he'd died when the control tower exploded it might've made more impact than having it repaired by the next episode). But you're right, there was a disparity in the fanbase for those characters, which is a shame
      sigpic

Comment

ROTFL!!!
        I just hope it turns out well when I finish it.

Comment

I'm so glad the work day is over. It whumped my brain. My brain now hurts.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
          Hmm, I always saw Carter's reactions regarding everyone else's feelings about Elizabeth as being somewhat stilted. She never mentioned Elizabeth, not even indirectly, in her 'hi, I'm your new boss!' speech in Reunion, and I found her little comment about John thinking more diplomatically because he was in Weir's old office seemed more of a backhanded slap at Weir than anything else. Of course, that may just be the lingering afterimage of how Carter jerked Weir around on SG-1 that's talking.
          I never took the Doppelganger mention as a backhanded slap, however I did have issues with it. On the one hand, I liked it that they said out loud how John's perceptions had changed because of Elizabeth. On the other hand, I thought Sam should have been more sensitive than to say that to John's face with a damn smile on her face. But then, I'm not a Sam fan either.

Agreed, and I think it's especially true of McKeller, which wasn't affected by behind-the-scenes real life events as the pregnancy subplot was. They didn't really have much choice on the latter, so I give them a bit of slack on it. I still don't excuse them on the poor storytelling throughout that arc, though.
          Yeah. The "I've loved you for a long time" seemed to come out of nowhere.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
          And the plot changes in S4-5 just make me wish more and more that I had been spoiler free. It was interesting though watching it through Mr. SR's eyes and witnessing firsthand his WTF? reaction to it all. I remember when Teyla's pregnancy came out that he wondered aloud about her crush and how this proved that it had to be an Athosian. Funny man. But then he disappointed me by saying McKeller wasn't all that far fetched due to their previous interactions. Can't win 'em all, I guess, but he did agree that the age difference was problematic.
          Heh. He's one smart man. Besides the age difference (which I do have a massive problem with), I think that on paper the McKeller relationship could have worked. She's geeky and a bit like him. So I see how it could work in theory. In practice, though.... YIKES. They have good friendly chemistry but the romantic chemistry is just not there. I always thought he looked like a sleazy, drunk uncle trying to mack on his niece at Thanksgiving.

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
          You just had to do it didn't you, JT-2.

Ever since I read your post reminding us Falcon used y'all, I've had this imagine in my head of Kate holding a Lemming wearing a dress right out of Gone With The Wind and saying "Isn't this dress Teyla got Falcon just the cutest thing ever."

Now I'm tempted to turn it into a ficlet and work Sparky in somehow so I can post it here.
          That is such a funny image!!

Now seems a good time for a minor confession as well. I've been fighting this for a while but I've finally given in and joined your Sparky Chipotle Cult. I can't get enough of their food!!!
          My confession is that I'm not a huge fan of it. I went to an authentic Mexican restaurant a few months back and I was in love. But Chipolte doesn't do it for me. *shrugs*

Originally posted by Madness reigns View Post
          De-lurking (again!!) to share a little something I made for this weeks 'tutorial week' on the Artwork for All thread

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/.../Sparky001.jpg

Just seems like the perfect place to share this
          Wow!!! That's great!! Thanks for sharing it with us. I also like your DH one.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone! Going out to dinner at my favorite new Japanese place tonight... Bring on the sake!
          Great! I'll drink some rum and we can battle - ninjas vs. pirates!

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
          I just don't get it with the Teyla pregnancy though. If they were insistent that they weren't going to hide the pregnancy, and if they were insistent that John wasn't going to be the father (either by natural means or by Michael's intervention), then why didn't they make Ronon the dad? And why did they kill Kate just when they really needed her?
          But Ronon being the dad would also have issues. How could they both remain on the same team if they were parents together?

Kate's death, however, had no good purpose. GRRR!

Because male characters have more fans so killing off Zelenka or Lorne was just not done.

*pouts*

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
            But Ronon being the dad would also have issues. How could they both remain on the same team if they were parents together?

Sorry to sound like Jo Graham, but that's extrapolating an earth custom. Teyla and Ronon aren't military, and it's only a military rule (a good one, IMO). There is at least a little bit of discretion in the application of military regs here. I would have less of a problem with this than, say, the Lorne/Cadman pairing that seems to be popular in fandom. Playing DA here, but what if Carter announced in EatG that she and O'Neill were getting married, that they had those feelings for each other since day one? Where do you draw the line on tv (NB on tv, not in real life - the rules are spelled out pretty clearly in real life, for good reason)? Should Teyla have excused herself from any missions that involved the Athosians?
            sigpic

Comment

See, even the smilies agree...
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Sorry to sound like Jo Graham, but that's extrapolating an earth custom.
                Should I take that as a good thing, or a bad thing?

Comment

Should I take that as a good thing, or a bad thing?
                  It depends on one's perspective. I was meaning that using that arguement was pushing our beliefs onto their customs, namely two people serving on the same team who are in a relationship. And also, where does one draw the line on that (for tv)?

If, say, Teyla and Kate had become official, it wouldn't have been an issue (Teyla would just have to see Carson?? instead of Kate). Indeed, for all the fuss about McKeller, all that needed to be done there was for Rodney to have someone else as his primary physician. But both of those pairings involve at least one person who is bound by earth regs on the issue. Ronon and Teyla technically aren't bound by that standard. Sure, they're on the same team, but they're neither military or from earth. They have no rank. I'm just pointing out that (in terms of what is acceptable on tv) there is some discretion there for them to be together, on the same team. But it's moot, Teyla and Kanaan ended up together. And they aren't serving on the same team, so the issue never arose *shrugs*
                  sigpic

Comment

It depends on one's perspective. I was meaning that using that arguement was pushing our beliefs onto their customs, namely two people serving on the same team who are in a relationship. And also, where does one draw the line on that (for tv)?

If, say, Teyla and Kate had become official, it wouldn't have been an issue (Teyla would just have to see Carson?? instead of Kate). Indeed, for all the fuss about McKeller, all that needed to be done there was for Rodney to have someone else as his primary physician. But both of those pairings involve at least one person who is bound by earth regs on the issue. Ronon and Teyla technically aren't bound by that standard. Sure, they're on the same team, but they're neither military or from earth. They have no rank. I'm just pointing out that (in terms of what is acceptable on tv) there is some discretion there for them to be together, on the same team. But it's moot, Teyla and Kanaan ended up together. And they aren't serving on the same team, so the issue never arose *shrugs*
                    Well, I meant it was an issue to have both parents going on dangerous missions together. The odds of making that child an orphan would greatly increase if their parents were out in the field together, as opposed to separately.

Comment

Thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone! Going out to dinner at my favorite new Japanese place tonight... Bring on the sake!

Love the new Sparky sig, Madness reigns!

Too true. And TPTW sure got a rude awakening when we didn't roll over and go along with their plans like the sheeple they thought we were. But they brought that on themselves.

You know, as headache-inducing it might have been, it would've been fun to see Mr. SR's reaction to SGU.

Thanks! The Chipotle will probably wait until Saturday, but I have cake!

Hmm, not sure how they'd top it either...

Spoiler:
                      After all, just look what kind of mischief they got up to when they got me The Jar! http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/y...t%20Jar/03.png
                      http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/y...t%20Jar/04.png

Doooo it! I dare you! I double dare you!

And 'Sparky Chipotle Cult'? I like it!
                      Oh, Mr SR's reaction to SGU was an immediate and prolonged WTF?

I can only guess, but I assume some of the examples they would be using about any Sam/John friendship would be the communal team eating thing, coz good 'ol Sam was just one of the gang. And yes, she treated him with kid gloves somewhat in Doppleganger. Although if she said 'when I was in SG-1' one more time I was going to throw something at the screen!!!!

[snippage here]

I just don't get it with the Teyla pregnancy though. If they were insistent that they weren't going to hide the pregnancy, and if they were insistent that John wasn't going to be the father (either by natural means or by Michael's intervention), then why didn't they make Ronon the dad? And why did they kill Kate just when they really needed her?

I've often wondered how I would've viewed s4 had I been spoiler free too. They didn't explain some of the changes very well. I often think they rely too much on the fact that a lot of fans are on the net and getting the information that way, or through the commentaries.

Those naughty, naughty dolls
                      On the Sam/John friendship, I think there was some who thought she showed how much she understood him when she let him go on the mission in S&R and that it reminded her of her own experiences with Jack. Personally, I think he just ran all over her and proved what a bad leader she was.

From what I've heard, it was late in the game when they decided who the father of Teyla's baby was. Some still wanted it to be John, though I don't know how they would have explained it, since it would have come out of nowhere and been even weirder than McKeller. But it was Paul Mullie who insisted that it wouldn't be right to do it that way. His reasoning remains a mystery however. I'm just glad somebody there was thinking. And they said right from the beginning that Ronon was like a sibling, which shows again how clueless they were to fan reaction.

Sorry to sound like Jo Graham, but that's extrapolating an earth custom. Teyla and Ronon aren't military, and it's only a military rule (a good one, IMO). There is at least a little bit of discretion in the application of military regs here. I would have less of a problem with this than, say, the Lorne/Cadman pairing that seems to be popular in fandom. Playing DA here, but what if Carter announced in EatG that she and O'Neill were getting married, that they had those feelings for each other since day one? Where do you draw the line on tv (NB on tv, not in real life - the rules are spelled out pretty clearly in real life, for good reason)? Should Teyla have excused herself from any missions that involved the Athosians?
                      As we've seen on countless TV shows, anything can be explained away. Sparky would have worked just fine with only a few lines of pertinent dialogue about the IOA making a decision to let them stay because blahblahblah.
                      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

what i want to know is why the IOA would have any say in whether sparky could happen. on countless times, john has shown his distaste for the IOA (even told Keller in "Infection" that the IOA could "Sue him" and i can't blame him. didn't he once say that they stonewalled him on whether or not he could get the green light to go rescue elizabeth?

Comment

Because TPTW just didn't think about the long term consequences of their story decisions.

I never took the Doppelganger mention as a backhanded slap, however I did have issues with it. On the one hand, I liked it that they said out loud how John's perceptions had changed because of Elizabeth. On the other hand, I thought Sam should have been more sensitive than to say that to John's face with a damn smile on her face. But then, I'm not a Sam fan either.
                          Actually, that's exactly what I found backhanded about it, that she said it, but that she seemed so insensitive about it.

Teyla and Ronon aren't Earth military, but John is. As team leader and military commander, he and his team have to set the example. Let's not forget how the IOA is looking over everyone's shoulders and breathing down their necks, waiting for anyone to slip up.

Well, I meant it was an issue to have both parents going on dangerous missions together. The odds of making that child an orphan would greatly increase if their parents were out in the field together, as opposed to separately.
                          There's that, too.

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                          what i want to know is why the IOA would have any say in whether sparky could happen. on countless times, john has shown his distaste for the IOA (even told Keller in "Infection" that the IOA could "Sue him" and i can't blame him. didn't he once say that they stonewalled him on whether or not he could get the green light to go rescue elizabeth?
                          The IOA is paying the bills for the Atlantis expedition. That's why they have a say.
                          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Time for another Sparky drabble for your reading pleasure, I hope.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard, thanks again for checking it over for me.

Spoiler:

Sleepless in Atlantis

Major John Sheppard couldn’t sleep.

He’d had this problem once before. Between 9/11 and being deployed to run spec ops teams into Afghanistan, Sheppard had suffered from insomnia. Here in Atlantis for the few days after the Genii raid, he’d begun suffering from the same thing.

“Maybe a walk around the city will help,” said Sheppard while staring at the ceiling of his room for the third sleepless night in a row.

Once he had gotten dressed and started to wonder the halls of his new home the only people Sheppard encountered were the security patrols and Dr. Kate Heightmeyer heading back to her quarters after an incredibly long day.

“Good evening Major,” said Dr. Heightmeyer. “You are not usually up this late. Anything you want to talk about?”

“Evening Doc,” answered Sheppard. “I have a good idea what is bugging me. If I feel the need to talk about it, I’ll call you.”

“You know where to find me if you change your mind,” said Dr. Heightmeyer as she continued toward her quarters.

Since agreeing to join the Atlantis Expedition, Dr. Heightmeyer had read the files on every member of the expedition and knew about Major Sheppard’s bout of insomnia after 9/11. However, she doubted tonight had anything to do with that. Sheppard wasn’t headed towards the labs to check on his teammate, Dr. McKay, even though they were closer to his quarters. He was headed straight towards Dr. Weir’s quarters.

“I wonder if it’s too late to change my bet with Chuck,” wondered Dr. Heightmeyer to no one in particular.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr. Elizabeth Weir couldn’t sleep.

She’d spent the last couple of nights staring at the ceiling above her bed since Major Sheppard had saved her from the Genii, Commander Koyla. While she pondered what to do since she couldn’t sleep her door chimed.

“Major Sheppard,” said a surprised Dr. Weir. “What brings you to my door at this time of night?”

“I’m sorry if I woke you,” began Major Sheppard. “I couldn’t sleep and decided to take a walk. Next thing I knew I was here.”

“Would you like to come in?”

“If it’s not a problem.”

“Please do,” said Dr. Weir. “Just give me a minute to find my robe.”

After talking for about an hour, both Elizabeth and John had relaxed enough that they started to dose off.

Dr. Weir woke up the next morning feeling the most well rested she had felt since she had come to Atlantis. As she started to stretch, Elizabeth realized she had spent the night cuddled up next to someone.

“John,” said Elizabeth surprised and slightly upset since she couldn’t remember snuggling with him.

“Ten more minutes please, ‘lizbeth,” answered John as he tried to snuggle closer to Elizabeth.

“John, you need to go before everyone else gets up and someone sees you leave my quarters,” said Elizabeth while fighting a smile at John‘s reaction to being in bed with her.

“I’m in bed with Elizabeth,” John smiled to himself as his sleep addled mind started to catch up with what was going on. Once he completely woke up, John shot out of bed and self-consciously checked himself to make sure his clothes were still on. “I swear I wasn’t trying anything last night, Elizabeth. I just got so relaxed while talking to you I just fell asleep.”

“It’s alright John. Last night was the best I’ve slept since we got here. I just don’t want anyone getting the wrong idea about us.”

“So, no problems?

“Or regrets, John. It appears we both needed this. This is the best you’ve looked in days and I could probably say them same about myself once I look in a mirror.”

“You were beginning to worry me a bit,” admitted John. “See you at the briefing?”

“See you later,” called Elizabeth before John slipped out her door.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Once Elizabeth and John met up again for the morning briefing, everybody noticed they both looked well rested for the first time in days.

“I guess Dr. Heightmeyer was right,” said the keeper of Atlantis’ betting pools, Sergeant Chuck Campbell to himself. “I’ll have to update things when I get off shift.

Know back to trying to figure out my Lemming in Gone with the Wind dress fic.

Comment

Which would probably have been their reason for not allowing it to happen. But as I said, the arguement is moot because that's not what happened.

Oh, Mr SR's reaction to SGU was an immediate and prolonged WTF?
                              The podcasts related to the demise of the series are quite interesting. IMO they're quite balanced - they praise the good bits, but don't hold back on the bad stuff either.

On the Sam/John friendship, I think there was some who thought she showed how much she understood him when she let him go on the mission in S&R and that it reminded her of her own experiences with Jack. Personally, I think he just ran all over her and proved what a bad leader she was.
                              If they're holding up S & R as an example of friendship, they're misguided. He told her point blank he was going regardless of what she thought. If they were 'as one' in terms of mindset on the subject, they wouldn't have had the arguement.

From what I've heard, it was late in the game when they decided who the father of Teyla's baby was. Some still wanted it to be John, though I don't know how they would have explained it, since it would have come out of nowhere and been even weirder than McKeller. But it was Paul Mullie who insisted that it wouldn't be right to do it that way. His reasoning remains a mystery however. I'm just glad somebody there was thinking. And they said right from the beginning that Ronon was like a sibling, which shows again how clueless they were to fan reaction.
                              Deciding who the father was should have been one of the first things they did. For one thing, it would have allowed them to plan the rest of their stories around it. IMO, the only way (at that stage) they could have explained it as John's child (or Carson's, for that matter) would be for Michael to have impregnated her during Vengence (whilst she was stunned). This would have explained the sudden appearance of the baby bump. OR, they could have altered the ending of Lifeline, then had a 2(?) month gap between that and Reunion.

I'm surprised they were so clueless re the possibilities for Teyla - both in terms of storyline or fatherhood. Marty G made a big deal about saying he perused GW, he must've been picky about what threads he read.

As we've seen on countless TV shows, anything can be explained away. Sparky would have worked just fine with only a few lines of pertinent dialogue about the IOA making a decision to let them stay because blahblahblah.
                              Exactly. I couldn't abide by a long drawn out saga on that issue. The whole leadership thing lasted for years (will they approve of this decision....etc, right back from s7 of SG-1) even though ultimately the IOA never actually took any action.

Because TPTW just didn't think about the long term consequences of their story decisions.
                              I hadn't noticed

Actually, that's exactly what I found backhanded about it, that she said it, but that she seemed so insensitive about it.
                              It wasn't so much what she said, it was the way she said it. Even as a Carter fan, Doppleganger didn't do her any favours.

Teyla and Ronon aren't Earth military, but John is. As team leader and military commander, he and his team have to set the example. Let's not forget how the IOA is looking over everyone's shoulders and breathing down their necks, waiting for anyone to slip up.
                              That's conjecture. In theory, the IOA only have a say in the governance of the city, not operational authority over individual teams. But they could pressure the leader (Weir, Carter, Woolsey) to do something about it.

The IOA is paying the bills for the Atlantis expedition. That's why they have a say.
                              But not the military bill, at least not as far as we know, which is presumably why the US military is represented so highly on the expedition. But given that the IOA have oversight over the SGC, by extenstion they have oversight on Atlantis, given that Atlantis is an asset of the SGC and earth.

Time for another Sparky drabble for your reading pleasure, I hope.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard, thanks again for checking it over for me.

Spoiler:

Sleepless in Atlantis

Major John Sheppard couldn’t sleep.

He’d had this problem once before. Between 9/11 and being deployed to run spec ops teams into Afghanistan, Sheppard had suffered from insomnia. Here in Atlantis for the few days after the Genii raid, he’d begun suffering from the same thing.

“Maybe a walk around the city will help,” said Sheppard while staring at the ceiling of his room for the third sleepless night in a row.

Once he had gotten dressed and started to wonder the halls of his new home the only people Sheppard encountered were the security patrols and Dr. Kate Heightmeyer heading back to her quarters after an incredibly long day.

“Good evening Major,” said Dr. Heightmeyer. “You are not usually up this late. Anything you want to talk about?”

“Evening Doc,” answered Sheppard. “I have a good idea what is bugging me. If I feel the need to talk about it, I’ll call you.”

“You know where to find me if you change your mind,” said Dr. Heightmeyer as she continued toward her quarters.

Since agreeing to join the Atlantis Expedition, Dr. Heightmeyer had read the files on every member of the expedition and knew about Major Sheppard’s bout of insomnia after 9/11. However, she doubted tonight had anything to do with that. Sheppard wasn’t headed towards the labs to check on his teammate, Dr. McKay, even though they were closer to his quarters. He was headed straight towards Dr. Weir’s quarters.

“I wonder if it’s too late to change my bet with Chuck,” wondered Dr. Heightmeyer to no one in particular.

Dr. Elizabeth Weir couldn’t sleep.

She’d spent the last couple of nights staring at the ceiling above her bed since Major Sheppard had saved her from the Genii, Commander Koyla. While she pondered what to do since she couldn’t sleep her door chimed.

“Major Sheppard,” said a surprised Dr. Weir. “What brings you to my door at this time of night?”

“I’m sorry if I woke you,” began Major Sheppard. “I couldn’t sleep and decided to take a walk. Next thing I knew I was here.”

“Would you like to come in?”

“If it’s not a problem.”

“Please do,” said Dr. Weir. “Just give me a minute to find my robe.”

After talking for about an hour, both Elizabeth and John had relaxed enough that they started to dose off.

Dr. Weir woke up the next morning feeling the most well rested she had felt since she had come to Atlantis. As she started to stretch, Elizabeth realized she had spent the night cuddled up next to someone.

“John,” said Elizabeth surprised and slightly upset since she couldn’t remember snuggling with him.

“Ten more minutes please, ‘lizbeth,” answered John as he tried to snuggle closer to Elizabeth.

“John, you need to go before everyone else gets up and someone sees you leave my quarters,” said Elizabeth while fighting a smile at John‘s reaction to being in bed with her.

“I’m in bed with Elizabeth,” John smiled to himself as his sleep addled mind started to catch up with what was going on. Once he completely woke up, John shot out of bed and self-consciously checked himself to make sure his clothes were still on. “I swear I wasn’t trying anything last night, Elizabeth. I just got so relaxed while talking to you I just fell asleep.”

“It’s alright John. Last night was the best I’ve slept since we got here. I just don’t want anyone getting the wrong idea about us.”

“So, no problems?

“Or regrets, John. It appears we both needed this. This is the best you’ve looked in days and I could probably say them same about myself once I look in a mirror.”

“You were beginning to worry me a bit,” admitted John. “See you at the briefing?”

“See you later,” called Elizabeth before John slipped out her door.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Once Elizabeth and John met up again for the morning briefing, everybody noticed they both looked well rested for the first time in days.

“I guess Dr. Heightmeyer was right,” said the keeper of Atlantis’ betting pools, Sergeant Chuck Campbell to himself. “I’ll have to update things when I get off shift.

Know back to trying to figure out my Lemming in Gone with the Wind dress fic.
                              Cute
                              sigpic

Comment

Ah... got it. Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Working...
                                X