Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    Well, didn't they deny Sam/Jack even existed until season 4 or something?

Although I don't think that's the case here. The same thing happened on a short-lived show called The Middleman. The two leads had awesome chemistry but the creator of the show was always denying it, saying things like "yuck! They're like brother/sister; not romantic." He would say that in almost every podcast he did. Nothing would have saved that show (it was quirky sci-fi on ABC Family, for crying out loud), but it baffled me at the time that the creator could be so blind and stubborn. Now I know it's not only him.

Spoiler:
    Heck, these PTW thought McKeller was the height of romance, even if they looked insanely uncomfortable in any romantic scenes and Rodney looked like a dirty old man.
    Well see, there 'ya go. I always wished they would sit down with a group of general fans and just listen to how they reacted. There's no way they could have done any sort of focus testing and have continued down the paths they did. I don't think I've ever seen two actors look as uncomfortable in love scenes as DH and JS, yet look so comfortable together in the friends only scenes. Apologies to anyone who liked that ship.

And yeah, didn't AT say one time that Sam would never be Jack's girl or some such? So, you can't go by what any of them say.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Well, didn't they deny Sam/Jack even existed until season 4 or something?

Although I don't think that's the case here. The same thing happened on a short-lived show called The Middleman. The two leads had awesome chemistry but the creator of the show was always denying it, saying things like "yuck! They're like brother/sister; not romantic." He would say that in almost every podcast he did. Nothing would have saved that show (it was quirky sci-fi on ABC Family, for crying out loud), but it baffled me at the time that the creator could be so blind and stubborn. Now I know it's not only him.

Spoiler:
      Heck, these PTW thought McKeller was the height of romance, even if they looked insanely uncomfortable in any romantic scenes and Rodney looked like a dirty old man.
      Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      Well see, there 'ya go. I always wished they would sit down with a group of general fans and just listen to how they reacted. There's no way they could have done any sort of focus testing and have continued down the paths they did. I don't think I've ever seen two actors look as uncomfortable in love scenes as DH and JS, yet look so comfortable together in the friends only scenes. Apologies to anyone who liked that ship.

And yeah, didn't AT say one time that Sam would never be Jack's girl or some such? So, you can't go by what any of them say.
      Ah, but let us not forget what Joe Flanigan said at last year's Creation Con in LA about ego and vanity winning out over doing the right thing by the show, characters, actors, fans, etc.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
        Ah, but let us not forget what Joe Flanigan said at last year's Creation Con in LA about ego and vanity winning out over doing the right thing by the show, characters, actors, fans, etc.
        That must have slipped my mind. As smart as he is about things like that, it's too bad he wasn't ever listened to.
        sigpic

Comment

That must have slipped my mind. As smart as he is about things like that, it's too bad he wasn't ever listened to.
          When I think about how much better things could have turned out if JoeF had been showrunner instead of M&M... I want to either weep in grief or scream in rage. Or maybe both. We wuz robbed.
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
            When I think about how much better things could have turned out if JoeF had been showrunner instead of M&M... I want to either weep in grief or scream in rage. Or maybe both. We wuz robbed.
            Let's not forget what Joe said once he was no longer under contract:

Q: Is there anything that John didn't get to do, in your eyes?

JF: I wish that I'd had a leading female romantic interest who was, like, my boss. I was thinking we could get some of that Moonlighting quality into the show, where it's not gratuitous nonsense and romantic excess, it's just under the surface, hidden, and consequently incredibly frustrating. You have a job to do, and you have to push your feelings aside. That makes for some of the best movies and television around.

*giggles* *iz evil*

Comment

I agree with you about McKeller. I have an issue with the age difference, but in theory I can see why they could work, and they have a good chemistry as friends. But once they started the romantic stuff it got reaaaally uncomfortable. Haven't both actors said it was uncomfortable for them to play?

Now, in theory, someone would have spotted that way back in The Last Man, and changed directions.

Comment

JF: I wish that I'd had a leading female romantic interest who was, like, my boss. I was thinking we could get some of that Moonlighting quality into the show, where it's not gratuitous nonsense and romantic excess, it's just under the surface, hidden, and consequently incredibly frustrating. You have a job to do, and you have to push your feelings aside. That makes for some of the best movies and television around.

*giggles* *iz evil*
                Ohhhh yeah. Definitely can't forget that stellar gem. In JoeF We Trust.

*joins in the evil giggling*

I agree with you about McKeller. I have an issue with the age difference, but in theory I can see why they could work, and they have a good chemistry as friends. But once they started the romantic stuff it got reaaaally uncomfortable. Haven't both actors said it was uncomfortable for them to play?

Now, in theory, someone would have spotted that way back in The Last Man, and changed directions.
                One would think. Then again, The Last Man only gave us such a brief glimpse, maybe they thought it wasn't enough. *shrugs*

Comment

*giggles* *iz evil*
                  He did say that, didn't he? So does that mean that for S6, he would have liked to see his character in that sort of situation? Wonder if he had anyone in mind? And someone needs to point out to the dear boy that a lot of us saw just that situation for THREE FREAKING YEARS!!! Ahem, sorry. Sometimes I gets a little bit FRUSTRATED.
                  sigpic

Comment

He did say that, didn't he? So does that mean that for S6, he would have liked to see his character in that sort of situation?
                    Sure looks that way, doesn't it?

Wonder if he had anyone in mind?
                    Well, given the very specific criteria he noted (leading female, Sheppard's boss), I'd say that narrows the field considerably, wouldn't you?

And someone needs to point out to the dear boy that a lot of us saw just that situation for THREE FREAKING YEARS!!! Ahem, sorry. Sometimes I gets a little bit FRUSTRATED.
                    FRUSTRATED is right. ARGH!

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                      never saw it. is it any good?
                      If you like historical flashbacks and sword fights to go with your action, comedy and romance than I would say yes it is very good.
                      I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Looks pretty quiet in here today. Is there something going on I should know about?

Comment

Hey there, SK! It is quiet in here.

*giggles* *iz evil*
                          Yes, I'm quoting myself. Here's a scene that details Joe's suggestion....

I'm watching the pilot of Fringe. I like it!! I won't know what's going on with Joe's episode but at least I know who the main characters are.

Comment

I still owe you the last poll results... but Leverage is eating all my spare time - I LOVE PARKER SO MUCH I WANT TO STEAL HER AND KEEP HER ALL TO MYSELF!!!

Anyway... I was thinking about another poll that I'd love to do, two three in fact:

Most Stupid Decision TPTB of Stargate Atlantis Made
                            Best Thing TPTB of Stargate Atlantis Did
                            Worst Thing TPTB of Stargate Atlantis Did

The second may sound weird but while I hate them for the most part, some of them did some wonderful things so I'm sure we can come up with a top 5 (no rules apply).

Anyone who wants to play - even lurkers - PM me. I will be the only one to know you picked those particular 5 things. Confidentiality guaranteed - though I do have to the power to keep something off the list if I feel it might bait, bash, or otherwise be rude and hateful.

Now back to Leverage and PARKER!!!
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Hey there, SK! It is quiet in here.

Yes, I'm quoting myself. Here's a scene that details Joe's suggestion....

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/...tis/seige2.gif
                              Yep, that's a good one! I also like Hot Zone for meeting some of Joe's requests.

I'm watching the pilot of Fringe. I like it!! I won't know what's going on with Joe's episode but at least I know who the main characters are.
                              I heard somewhere that they're doing a kinda-sorta reboot for the new season, so it may not be quite so important to have seen previous episodes. Could be wrong, though.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              I still owe you the last poll results... but Leverage is eating all my spare time - I LOVE PARKER SO MUCH I WANT TO STEAL HER AND KEEP HER ALL TO MYSELF!!!

Anyway... I was thinking about another poll that I'd love to do, two three in fact:

Most Stupid Decision TPTB of Stargate Atlantis Made
                              Best Thing TPTB of Stargate Atlantis Did
                              Worst Thing TPTB of Stargate Atlantis Did

The second may sound weird but while I hate them for the most part, some of them did some wonderful things so I'm sure we can come up with a top 5 (no rules apply).

Anyone who wants to play - even lurkers - PM me. I will be the only one to know you picked those particular 5 things. Confidentiality guaranteed - though I do have to the power to keep something off the list if I feel it might bait, bash, or otherwise be rude and hateful.
                              Hmm, that sounds interesting... and perhaps stress-relieving. I can see there being quite a bit of overlap between #1 and #3. I assume you'll be doing these polls once a week?

Now back to Leverage and PARKER!!!
                              *giggles and sends the Lemming a saucer of sugar*

Comment

Yeah, Aren't Number 1 and Number 3 kind of similar? Was there a specific criteria you had in mind for either one?
                                "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Working...
                                X