Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
    And I'm getting malicious software messages when I try to get onto SGArising.com. Ya think the Sheylas are doing this?
    What? You too. Mr. SR did his magic thing last night for JT-2. He thinks it's an outside site trying to hack into computers, like one of those Trojan viruses. Google the message you get and see what's up. If you use IE, switch to another browser.

And let's not accuse anybody unless we have proof. I doubt anybody cares that we are writing a season 6.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      What? You too. Mr. SR did his magic thing last night for JT-2. He thinks it's an outside site trying to hack into computers, like one of those Trojan viruses. Google the message you get and see what's up. If you use IE, switch to another browser.

And let's not accuse anybody unless we have proof. I doubt anybody cares that we are writing a season 6.
      I switched over to Firefox.

Comment

i was reading the joe flanigan interview on the home page and apparently joe f saw some similiarities between the colonel he played in ferocious planet and sheppard.

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
          And theme for the month? Star Trek.

<--- I'm Bones!
          does that make me kirk if you're bones? considering i'm a captain?

Comment

Hee! Star Trek! Cool.

I'm sure this fic has probably been recced before, but in honor of the theme: These Are the Voyages. Really fun Star Trek AU.
            sigpic
            Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
              I just don't understand the people who watched this show and never made a connection between John's darkness and losing Elizabeth. I mean, LOOK AT HIM HERE. He had these awesome snarky-fun-happy moments. Sometimes they were aimed at Elizabeth exclusively. After she was gone, he was never like that again. How can you not see that?!
              There's a joke there somewhere about the blind leading the visually challenged but it's not coming to me.
              I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by Soulster View Post
                No ... never anything emotional between John and Elizabeth. Tell that to my daughter who never set eyes on the series then one day walked in while I was watching it. The first thing out of her mouth was "He likes her."
                Hi Soulster!!! I have to agree with everyone that said you have a very smart daughter.
                I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

That was never a possibility, if you are referring to the spoilers I've read that mean the CM showrunners actually listen to fans. TPTB at SGA, especially JM knew how the fans felt. He was informed politely that Sparky was a huge ship. He was given numbers and poll statistics and all that. His reply, if I may paraphrase, was that he didn't care how many fans wanted something to happen, it was not going to interfere with their creative plan. So, there ya go. All those fans that wanted Sparky, except for a loyal few, left the show. The whole thing took a turn and never recovered. Just my take on it, mind you. But I feel strongly that if you are producing a product for customers and you don't listen to what those customers want, you are doomed to fail. Even McDonald's has added some healthy items to their menu by popular demand.

I'm not saying that the lack of Sparky made the show get canceled, but that keeping Elizabeth and developing Sparky would have made it better and made the ratings improve. And judging by how tone deaf they seemed while running SGU, I'm even more sure that they just didn't get it.

I'm glad that vid I found was such a hit. We need more of those.
                  Bingo. First and foremost, television is a business. It's not a personal playground for producers, stars, or fans. It's a business. And Rule #1 of any successful business is: Give your customers what they want and don't piss them off. Stargate's PTW failed that test and from the looks of things, they've also failed to learn any lessons from that failure.

I doubt anybody cares that we are writing a season 6.
                  Well, except for those who appreciate good fanfiction that doesn't lobotomize the characters and respects canon history while still moving stories forward to their logical conclusion, that is.

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                  There's a joke there somewhere about the blind leading the visually challenged but it's not coming to me.
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Hey there fellow Sparky shippers. I'm new to both the series, and the website, and just decided to stop by and say hi.
                    "It seems to me that the best relationships, the ones that last, are frequently the ones that are rooted in friendship. You know, one day you look at the person and you see something more than you did the night before. Like a switch has been flicked somewhere. And the person who was just a friend is suddenly the only person you can ever imagine yourself with."
                    -Dana Scully

Comment

Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
                      YEAH YOU SHOULD TAKE A LESSION FROM CRIMINAL MINDS TPTB! *shakes fist*
                      Not a show I watch, so I can't really comment on that *shrugs*

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                      gateraid!! *glomps* How's life going?
                      Meh. On the upside, the Rugby World Cup is on here. NZ won in a very close match last night against Japan, 83-7. Okay, maybe close wasn't the right word

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                      gateraid! Heya, buddy!

Don't worry, we know what you mean.
                      Probably not the best post to come back on. I should work on that

Originally posted by Erin87 View Post
                      Oh my gosh, that was just.... amazing and so sad and awesome and... perfect. *cries* It was excellent to see some different clips that don't usually get put in vids.
                      A lot of those clips I'd never seen in vids before. It was just what I needed

Hey, welcome back. You have been missed. Now I feel like things are back to normal.

That was never a possibility, if you are referring to the spoilers I've read that mean the CM showrunners actually listen to fans. TPTB at SGA, especially JM knew how the fans felt. He was informed politely that Sparky was a huge ship. He was given numbers and poll statistics and all that. His reply, if I may paraphrase, was that he didn't care how many fans wanted something to happen, it was not going to interfere with their creative plan. So, there ya go. All those fans that wanted Sparky, except for a loyal few, left the show. The whole thing took a turn and never recovered. Just my take on it, mind you. But I feel strongly that if you are producing a product for customers and you don't listen to what those customers want, you are doomed to fail. Even McDonald's has added some healthy items to their menu by popular demand.

I'm not saying that the lack of Sparky made the show get canceled, but that keeping Elizabeth and developing Sparky would have made it better and made the ratings improve. And judging by how tone deaf they seemed while running SGU, I'm even more sure that they just didn't get it.

I'm glad that vid I found was such a hit. We need more of those.
                      I think they were definitely aware of the sparky side of things, even teasing it a bit, but they misjudged what happened when Torri left. I think they thought that sparky fans would continue to watch during s4/5 (heck, I did) which may or may not have held true. We can't really say for sure because it wasn't the only change. I subscribe to the view that they didn't realise how taking Weir out would affect the dynamic with other characters.

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Bingo. First and foremost, television is a business. It's not a personal playground for producers, stars, or fans. It's a business. And Rule #1 of any successful business is: Give your customers what they want and don't piss them off. Stargate's PTW failed that test and from the looks of things, they've also failed to learn any lessons from that failure.

Well, except for those who appreciate good fanfiction that doesn't lobotomize the characters and respects canon history while still moving stories forward to their logical conclusion, that is.

I'd temper that rule (in television) with giving them almost what they want.

Edit: Super, I'm a Doctor. At least I'm not a ST counsellor. I've only seen two of those - one managed to be incompetent in pretty much everything, even her own field of expertise, whilst the other managed to wear her own rank insignia wrong during a briefing
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                        I think they were definitely aware of the sparky side of things, even teasing it a bit, but they misjudged what happened when Torri left. I think they thought that sparky fans would continue to watch during s4/5 (heck, I did) which may or may not have held true. We can't really say for sure because it wasn't the only change. I subscribe to the view that they didn't realise how taking Weir out would affect the dynamic with other characters.

I'd temper that rule (in television) with giving them almost what they want.
                        "Misjudged?" Yeah, I'd say that's the understatement of the decade.

I think a lot of those Sparky fans who left in S4-5 would've stayed if there had truly been a well-crafted storyline that would eventually bring Weir back and get her and Sheppard together, and strengthening all of Team Atlantis as a whole. I stuck around and kept watching in the hope that this was what would happen, that in the fullness of time, TPTW would reveal that they'd had an awesome master plan all along that would kick butt and take no prisoners. Sadly, that hope was in vain.

They may have failed, but where they failed, Atlantis Rising will succeed. Because we do have a plan, and it's gonna blow everyone's minds. Muahahah.

Edit: Super, I'm a Doctor. At least I'm not a ST counsellor. I've only seen two of those - one managed to be incompetent in pretty much everything, even her own field of expertise, whilst the other managed to wear her own rank insignia wrong during a briefing
                        Kate would no doubt wipe the floor with those two counselors. *winks at Falcon Horus*
                        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I just noticed that ShipperWriter, mandogater, gateraid, and myself are all "Chief Medical Officer". Well I'm glad this is Trek week instead of a Stargate thing. We all know what happens to medical doctors in Stargate land. Well, other than ones shipped with Rodney.

Comment

"Misjudged?" Yeah, I'd say that's the understatement of the decade.

I think a lot of those Sparky fans who left in S4-5 would've stayed if there had truly been a well-crafted storyline that would eventually bring Weir back and get her and Sheppard together, and strengthening all of Team Atlantis as a whole. I stuck around and kept watching in the hope that this was what would happen, that in the fullness of time, TPTW would reveal that they'd had an awesome master plan all along that would kick butt and take no prisoners. Sadly, that hope was in vain.
                            They failed. Carter should've been in Ellis's place, then taken command after Weir was injured. They should have argued about sending Weir on that mission (Carter against it, obviously, because of her personal experience with the replicators and the fact that Weir was a civilian). They should have tried some sort of rescue mission prior to a delayed contact with Earth, even if it was only jumping back, scanning, then leaving. Nix the ending of BAMSR and exchange that for Mallozi's Weir in stasis idea, with another replicator (or even a copy of her) saying "let's begin". Even if they never picked up the storyline again, it would've been a bigger "holy ****, she's still alive" moment than they one they had.

They may have failed, but where they failed, Atlantis Rising will succeed. Because we do have a plan, and it's gonna blow everyone's minds. Muahahah.
                            Yep, Carson is one of the final five cylons. Oh, wait, wrong show, different plan

Kate would no doubt wipe the floor with those two counselors. *winks at Falcon Horus*
                            Kate was highly competent and used correctly, although for some reason they created situations that required her presence more after they killed her off.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                              I just noticed that ShipperWriter, mandogater, gateraid, and myself are all "Chief Medical Officer". Well I'm glad this is Trek week instead of a Stargate thing. We all know what happens to medical doctors in Stargate land. Well, other than ones shipped with Rodney.
                              Especially when there are a lot of chiefs. Looks like I'm done for *hides*
                              sigpic

Comment

Especially when there are a lot of chiefs. Looks like I'm done for *hides*
                                Well I'm too close to Rodney's own age for me to be shipped with him (snerk), so I'm out too.

I think ShipperWriter's going to have to be the one who stays.

Comment

Working...
                                X