Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
    Oh. Sorry.

Well, here's a little something to cheer you up!

"Four Days" -- what would happen if the power went out on Atlantis for four days?

All the technical jargon and facts are from Stargate Wikia, which is a pretty stinkin' awesome resource for writers!

Spoiler: John and Elizabeth get nekkid after the end of it.

Spoiler:
    Four days.

Four days without her computer. Four days without any alarms to wake everyone up in the morning. Four days without any decent hot meals.

Four days since the coffee pot had made its last batch of coffee.

Dr. Elizabeth Weir wondered if this was hell.

She sat in her office gloomily. The sunlight provided enough light during the day, but seeing as how it had set almost an hour ago the only illumination at this hour was provided by a meditation candle that Teyla had lent her. The pile of papers had somehow bloated during that time and without her laptop, she was back to hand writing personnel evaluations.

That mixed with the coffee withdrawal was enough to make her loose it.

Dr. Rodney McKay had tried to explain at a staff meeting four days ago why using the specific set of solar panels hidden in an Ancient lab was crucially beneficial to helping power the City of Atlantis. Using his eccentric language, he made it sound like they were also capable of recharging the Zero Point Modules that provided the City with its power.

A distant memory of Rodney explaining how useful they were for recharging an electric golf cart came to mind, but she all too quickly dismissed it.

Too quickly, it seemed.

Blowing up part of a solar system was still on top of his list of mistakes; nevertheless, this was a close tie.

It turned out that after the solar panels were connected to the power grid, they overloaded one of the main power conduits that directly supplied power to the central tower. After a team was dispatched to the ZPM room to examine their main source of power, they determined that the ZPM had not been affected in any way. The Mark II naquadah generators were still online, but with the damage done to the power conduits they were close to overloading as they attempted to feed power through other lines which couldn’t handle the amount of energy trying to run through them.

The decision had been made to shut down the ZPM and the naquadah reactors to conserve power. Knowing the luck of this place, they were amazed that the Wraith or Replicators hadn’t launched a surprise attack on them in their vulnerable state. Thankfully, Rodney and Zelenka quickly found a temporary bypass for the shields and chair if the need arose.

So as they worked to restore complete power to Atlantis, the city lost its energy, and the people lost their minds.

Rodney had been the first to go, about 6 o’clock in the morning on this particular day. When Elizabeth had walked to his lab for a report, Radek Zelenka was the only one there, informing the expedition leader that Rodney had muttered something under his breath and marched out of his lab without another word, even leaving his beloved tablet behind.

When Colonel Sheppard finally found him, he was writing on one of the windows in his quarters in code, claiming to have found the cure for cancer.

After examining it, Zelenka sadly informed them that it wasn’t the miracle McKay alleged it was. It was the chemical ingredients for an epi-pen.

Elizabeth groaned as her eyes strained with the lack of light, signing off on the final file. With a satisfied smile, she leaned back and stretched in her chair, letting her body relax as the worries of the day began to fade.

Now she just had to make it back to her quarters without killing herself.

Picking up the candle, she walked out into the control room. “How is everything tonight?” she asked the technician on duty.

Chuck Campbell was leaning back in his chair, playing a game of cards atop the console with three other technicians. He glanced up at her, quickly looking back to the game. “Quiet and dark. Just like the last three nights,” he added.

She chuckled. “True.”

The control room was void of nonessential personnel. With the lack of power, they had established a curfew. If you were not on duty, it was decreed, you should remain in your quarters or bunk up with a nearby neighbor for the remainder of the power outage.

Thankfully, the weather was cooperating with their situation; they could open the windows at all times and enjoy the cool breezes, keeping the city at a reasonable temperature without everyone having to take extreme measures.

Such as stripping in the middle of a staff meeting.

As Elizabeth slowly made her way to her quarters, she recalled a particularly hot summer day last year when the ventilation had ceased working. Everyone was sweating so badly during the meeting, they eliminated all layers of clothing that were a hindrance.

For John, Rodney, and Ronan, that included shirts.

She didn’t mind when John and Ronan sat back down. When Rodney resumed speaking at the front table and was animatedly moving around, however, Elizabeth was seeing the “truffle-shuffle” from “The Goonies” in her mind’s eye.

Why did that have to be the movie that John had picked for movie night that week?

Just then, a phantom breeze blew down the corridor, removing the flame on her candle and rendering her completely blind.

She cursed silently.

As she rounded the corner to her room, she noticed a shadow standing on the other side of her door frame. She let out a sigh of relief as the eccentric hair was outlined in light from a nearby window at the top of the wall. “And how was your day, Colonel?” she asked in greeting, tilting her head at him as she set the candle on the ground.

John just shrugged and stuffed his hands into his pockets. “Busy.”

Elizabeth crossed her arms, glaring mischievously at him. “Busy? How so?”

A slight blush crept up his face. “I went surfing,” he admitted with a cringe.

Her only reprimand was, “And you didn’t take me with you?”

John swallowed, his Adam’s apple bobbing in the process. “I kinda thought you’d be busy running the place. Ya know.”

“There is no power. No missions. No Daedalus. There isn’t much to run at the moment,” she replied, letting her arms fall to her sides.

As her eyes adjusted to the light, his choice of clothes for the day became visible. He was wearing a black wet suit for a shirt, along with a black and blue pair of swim trunks. The pair of sandals on his feet completed the outfit.

She repressed a smirk, thankful that he couldn’t see her in the darkness. “So I assume you were just checking to make sure that I got to my quarters in one piece?”

John ran a hand nervously through his hair. “Uh, yeah. Unless you needed anything else?” he added, voice deepening as he spoke.

Her heart started racing. They had been toying with each other off and on for a few weeks now, and the tension kept increasing with every little flirtation. The tone of his voice made her want to pull him into the bedroom, closing the door behind her.

She promptly blinked the thought away and shook her head. “Um, no. I’m fine. I just … need a shower. Which will be cold,” she reflected after glancing at the non-existent lighting above their heads.

John smiled a little. “Or you could come take a swim with me?”

“John, it’s past sundown.”

“I can put the lights on from the pier.”

“What about sharks, or other sea animals?” she queried, opening the doors to her quarters.

He walked in behind her as she removed her shirt. As she heard an uncomfortable John clearing his throat behind her, she pivoted around, turning on the flashlight next to her bed. It showed the white camisole that she had been wearing underneath her red work shirt. She opened her drawers, telling him, “Let me grab some shorts.”

Even in the dark, she could hear the smirk in his voice. “No one’s gonna know what you’re wearing.”

She let out a laugh, then cleared her own throat, trying to erase any signs of awkwardness as she rifled through her clothes, finally finding a pair of short black shorts.

“Tell you what,” he said, stepping closer to her in the dim light, reaching for the zipper at the throat of his shirt. “If it’ll make you feel any better, I’ll leave my shirt here.” He reached for the hem and, in an all too easy move, his black shirt was lying on the floor next to Elizabeth and his tanned, yet white skin shone through the dark like a beacon. “That way,” he said, slowly pacing towards her, “I’ll be easier to grab when you think you see a shark.”

One corner of her mouth tilted upwards. “Why leave your shirt here? Why not take it with you? After all, your quarters are half the distance to mine from the pier.”

“What, you didn’t know?” he asked, giving her his best puppy dog eyes. “The hallways of Atlantis are haunted at night when the power goes out. Legend has it that a scientist whose parents were gender confused when they named him will roam the corridors at night, looking for innocent victims.”

As she found herself giving in, following John to the pier for a late night swim, and returning to her quarters with her hands buried in his hair, his lips hot on hers, she reflected that maybe Rodney wasn’t such a horrible person after all.

FIN.
    Great fic!!

Thanks SR and SK!!
    I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Oh. Sorry.

Well, here's a little something to cheer you up!

"Four Days" -- what would happen if the power went out on Atlantis for four days?

All the technical jargon and facts are from Stargate Wikia, which is a pretty stinkin' awesome resource for writers!

Spoiler: John and Elizabeth get nekkid after the end of it.

Spoiler:
      Four days.

Four days without her computer. Four days without any alarms to wake everyone up in the morning. Four days without any decent hot meals.

Four days since the coffee pot had made its last batch of coffee.

Dr. Elizabeth Weir wondered if this was hell.

She sat in her office gloomily. The sunlight provided enough light during the day, but seeing as how it had set almost an hour ago the only illumination at this hour was provided by a meditation candle that Teyla had lent her. The pile of papers had somehow bloated during that time and without her laptop, she was back to hand writing personnel evaluations.

That mixed with the coffee withdrawal was enough to make her loose it.

Dr. Rodney McKay had tried to explain at a staff meeting four days ago why using the specific set of solar panels hidden in an Ancient lab was crucially beneficial to helping power the City of Atlantis. Using his eccentric language, he made it sound like they were also capable of recharging the Zero Point Modules that provided the City with its power.

A distant memory of Rodney explaining how useful they were for recharging an electric golf cart came to mind, but she all too quickly dismissed it.

Too quickly, it seemed.

Blowing up part of a solar system was still on top of his list of mistakes; nevertheless, this was a close tie.

It turned out that after the solar panels were connected to the power grid, they overloaded one of the main power conduits that directly supplied power to the central tower. After a team was dispatched to the ZPM room to examine their main source of power, they determined that the ZPM had not been affected in any way. The Mark II naquadah generators were still online, but with the damage done to the power conduits they were close to overloading as they attempted to feed power through other lines which couldn’t handle the amount of energy trying to run through them.

The decision had been made to shut down the ZPM and the naquadah reactors to conserve power. Knowing the luck of this place, they were amazed that the Wraith or Replicators hadn’t launched a surprise attack on them in their vulnerable state. Thankfully, Rodney and Zelenka quickly found a temporary bypass for the shields and chair if the need arose.

So as they worked to restore complete power to Atlantis, the city lost its energy, and the people lost their minds.

Rodney had been the first to go, about 6 o’clock in the morning on this particular day. When Elizabeth had walked to his lab for a report, Radek Zelenka was the only one there, informing the expedition leader that Rodney had muttered something under his breath and marched out of his lab without another word, even leaving his beloved tablet behind.

When Colonel Sheppard finally found him, he was writing on one of the windows in his quarters in code, claiming to have found the cure for cancer.

After examining it, Zelenka sadly informed them that it wasn’t the miracle McKay alleged it was. It was the chemical ingredients for an epi-pen.

Elizabeth groaned as her eyes strained with the lack of light, signing off on the final file. With a satisfied smile, she leaned back and stretched in her chair, letting her body relax as the worries of the day began to fade.

Now she just had to make it back to her quarters without killing herself.

Picking up the candle, she walked out into the control room. “How is everything tonight?” she asked the technician on duty.

Chuck Campbell was leaning back in his chair, playing a game of cards atop the console with three other technicians. He glanced up at her, quickly looking back to the game. “Quiet and dark. Just like the last three nights,” he added.

She chuckled. “True.”

The control room was void of nonessential personnel. With the lack of power, they had established a curfew. If you were not on duty, it was decreed, you should remain in your quarters or bunk up with a nearby neighbor for the remainder of the power outage.

Thankfully, the weather was cooperating with their situation; they could open the windows at all times and enjoy the cool breezes, keeping the city at a reasonable temperature without everyone having to take extreme measures.

Such as stripping in the middle of a staff meeting.

As Elizabeth slowly made her way to her quarters, she recalled a particularly hot summer day last year when the ventilation had ceased working. Everyone was sweating so badly during the meeting, they eliminated all layers of clothing that were a hindrance.

For John, Rodney, and Ronan, that included shirts.

She didn’t mind when John and Ronan sat back down. When Rodney resumed speaking at the front table and was animatedly moving around, however, Elizabeth was seeing the “truffle-shuffle” from “The Goonies” in her mind’s eye.

Why did that have to be the movie that John had picked for movie night that week?

Just then, a phantom breeze blew down the corridor, removing the flame on her candle and rendering her completely blind.

She cursed silently.

As she rounded the corner to her room, she noticed a shadow standing on the other side of her door frame. She let out a sigh of relief as the eccentric hair was outlined in light from a nearby window at the top of the wall. “And how was your day, Colonel?” she asked in greeting, tilting her head at him as she set the candle on the ground.

John just shrugged and stuffed his hands into his pockets. “Busy.”

Elizabeth crossed her arms, glaring mischievously at him. “Busy? How so?”

A slight blush crept up his face. “I went surfing,” he admitted with a cringe.

Her only reprimand was, “And you didn’t take me with you?”

John swallowed, his Adam’s apple bobbing in the process. “I kinda thought you’d be busy running the place. Ya know.”

“There is no power. No missions. No Daedalus. There isn’t much to run at the moment,” she replied, letting her arms fall to her sides.

As her eyes adjusted to the light, his choice of clothes for the day became visible. He was wearing a black wet suit for a shirt, along with a black and blue pair of swim trunks. The pair of sandals on his feet completed the outfit.

She repressed a smirk, thankful that he couldn’t see her in the darkness. “So I assume you were just checking to make sure that I got to my quarters in one piece?”

John ran a hand nervously through his hair. “Uh, yeah. Unless you needed anything else?” he added, voice deepening as he spoke.

Her heart started racing. They had been toying with each other off and on for a few weeks now, and the tension kept increasing with every little flirtation. The tone of his voice made her want to pull him into the bedroom, closing the door behind her.

She promptly blinked the thought away and shook her head. “Um, no. I’m fine. I just … need a shower. Which will be cold,” she reflected after glancing at the non-existent lighting above their heads.

John smiled a little. “Or you could come take a swim with me?”

“John, it’s past sundown.”

“I can put the lights on from the pier.”

“What about sharks, or other sea animals?” she queried, opening the doors to her quarters.

He walked in behind her as she removed her shirt. As she heard an uncomfortable John clearing his throat behind her, she pivoted around, turning on the flashlight next to her bed. It showed the white camisole that she had been wearing underneath her red work shirt. She opened her drawers, telling him, “Let me grab some shorts.”

Even in the dark, she could hear the smirk in his voice. “No one’s gonna know what you’re wearing.”

She let out a laugh, then cleared her own throat, trying to erase any signs of awkwardness as she rifled through her clothes, finally finding a pair of short black shorts.

“Tell you what,” he said, stepping closer to her in the dim light, reaching for the zipper at the throat of his shirt. “If it’ll make you feel any better, I’ll leave my shirt here.” He reached for the hem and, in an all too easy move, his black shirt was lying on the floor next to Elizabeth and his tanned, yet white skin shone through the dark like a beacon. “That way,” he said, slowly pacing towards her, “I’ll be easier to grab when you think you see a shark.”

One corner of her mouth tilted upwards. “Why leave your shirt here? Why not take it with you? After all, your quarters are half the distance to mine from the pier.”

“What, you didn’t know?” he asked, giving her his best puppy dog eyes. “The hallways of Atlantis are haunted at night when the power goes out. Legend has it that a scientist whose parents were gender confused when they named him will roam the corridors at night, looking for innocent victims.”

As she found herself giving in, following John to the pier for a late night swim, and returning to her quarters with her hands buried in his hair, his lips hot on hers, she reflected that maybe Rodney wasn’t such a horrible person after all.

FIN.
      Oh! *flails* That was a great way to start the day. I can picture every little bit of it down to the hair silhouette.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
        Good evening, Sparkies! Hope you've all been enjoying this Fluffy Thursday!

Me, I've been busy moving stuff back into my bedroom. Ahhhh... Pics will probably have to wait until the weekend, right now, I'm having too much fun playing with my new toys.

TLM, welcome back! Good to hear you've got power back in your neck of the woods.

ShipperWriter and mandogater, I am loving your new ficlets! Just the sort of fun little diversions to add some spice to the day!
        Originally posted by mandogater View Post
        Great fic!!
        Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        Oh! *flails* That was a great way to start the day. I can picture every little bit of it down to the hair silhouette.
        Thank you! SPARKY SQUEE!!! Yeah, dwelling on that fic has been what is getting me through this particularly long day. Ugh. Well, at least I have John Sheppard in my head and chocolate in my mouth.

Later!!!

Comment

Thank you! SPARKY SQUEE!!! Yeah, dwelling on that fic has been what is getting me through this particularly long day. Ugh. Well, at least I have John Sheppard in my head and chocolate in my mouth.

Later!!!
          I would not touch that sentence with a 10 foot pole. Not going there. Nope. Not gonna do it.
          sigpic

Comment

I would not touch that sentence with a 10 foot pole. Not going there. Nope. Not gonna do it.
            LOL!!!! Oh the places you could go with that!!!
            sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Later!!!
              A state in which John would love to find Elizabeth, no doubt.

Ah, but even by speaking about it... You just did. Muahahah.

Originally posted by Pocus View Post
              LOL!!!! Oh the places you could go with that!!!
              And all of 'em in the gutter.
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Great fic, ShipperWriter!

I can so easily picture John pestering Elizabeth when he's bored, like in a blackout.

Oh, and can I please join you all in the gutter? See my sig - chocolate and peanut butter.

Comment

1,000 posts! I'm a Captain now.

Woo Hoo!

sparky_ruffle3.gif

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post

Woo Hoo!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31750[/ATTACH]
                    Congrats. You're moving up in rank!
                    sigpic

Comment

Woo Hoo!

Three cheers for Captain JT-2!

Hip Hip Huzzah!

Hip Hip Huzzah!

Hip Hip Huzzah!

(This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Woo Hoo!

Elizabeth you lucky Woman getting to ruffle the John's hair....congrats JT
                        BALCONIES
                        The Breeding Ground of Ships.
                        sigpic

Comment

Good morning Sparkies and happy Saturday. College football starts today. \0/ We have gained several new people since last season, so if you want to pick a team and cheer for them here, you are welcome. So far, the mods have left us alone. We always manage to tie in John and his college football obsession.

Speaking of which........Go Hokies!!!!! I know Eri is busy working and cheering for her Georgia Bulldogs and SK will surely be along later to put in a word for USC. I hope I got the colors right. Good luck to everyone.
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the congrats, everyone!

Good morning Sparkies and happy Saturday. College football starts today. \0/ We have gained several new people since last season, so if you want to pick a team and cheer for them here, you are welcome. So far, the mods have left us alone. We always manage to tie in John and his college football obsession.

Speaking of which........Go Hokies!!!!! I know Eri is busy working and cheering for her Georgia Bulldogs and SK will surely be along later to put in a word for USC. I hope I got the colors right. Good luck to everyone.
                            I don't have a team to root for. Neither my home state nor my college alma mater have teams in the big conference.

So who would John root for? Or... my rooting can be bought.

Comment

Thanks for the congrats, everyone!

I don't have a team to root for. Neither my home state nor my college alma mater have teams in the big conference.

So who would John root for? Or... my rooting can be bought.
                              I'll give you a cookie if you root for VT. We play Appalachian State today and are expected to win but they don't call ASU the "giant killer" for nothing. They have been known to beat big teams unexpectedly.

We decided last year that John is probably a USC fan and definitely roots for the Air Force Academy, and of course since Joe went to Colorado, we like to throw that in too. I think he just likes good football. That tape in H&S was of a famous game between Boston College and Miami that ended with Doug Flutie throwing the Hail Mary pass for the BC win. But it was, like John said, a good metaphor for the whole expedition.
                              sigpic

Comment

I'll give you a cookie if you root for VT. We play Appalachian State today and are expected to win but they don't call ASU the "giant killer" for nothing. They have been known to beat big teams unexpectedly.

We decided last year that John is probably a USC fan and definitely roots for the Air Force Academy, and of course since Joe went to Colorado, we like to throw that in too. I think he just likes good football. That tape in H&S was of a famous game between Boston College and Miami that ended with Doug Flutie throwing the Hail Mary pass for the BC win. But it was, like John said, a good metaphor for the whole expedition.
                                If it's a chocolate chip cookie, then I'm in! Go Hokies!

Comment

Working...
                                X