No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm surprised john hasn't gone through some sort of PTSD while he's been on atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
      I agree completely as well. After the chaotic life that John has had, everything finally settled down for him. Then it was horribly changed in just a matter of days. Not to th point of PTSD, as we've discussed with 'Nuna before, but a major change like that is unsettling. It doesn't matter if you're a Marine or a school girl. You might hide the feelings better, but your life is still turned upside down. It takes a while to adjust.

Speaking from the viewpoint of someone who cherishes their "comfort zone", it takes me a while to adjust when something goes out of whack, and I try to fill in the void with other things, like getting new hobbies or becoming obsessed with a new fandom. You need something to make you feel whole again, and if you can get back the comfort that you lost, even better.

It doesn't even have to be a romantic loss between them. Elizabeth was the rock that made John's world steady for three years, and to lose it just like that? I'd take a while to bounce back.

Just sayin'.

And when I find my cat, I'll let y'all know!!!
      Look for something in TBaF that addresses John's sadness. Let's just say, others have noticed he's not himself.

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
      i'm surprised john hasn't gone through some sort of PTSD while he's been on atlantis.
      I would have been surprised if he had. John is a very strong man and a well-trained soldier. Unlike those who truly suffer PTSD, he seems to be handling everything that happened to him very well. He shows no true signs of having any deep psychological problems, no matter what some people would lead you to believe.

Anyone who writes him as some sort of war-crazed lunatic doesn't understand his character at all.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        I would have been surprised if he had. John is a very strong man and a well-trained soldier. Unlike those who truly suffer PTSD, he seems to be handling everything that happened to him very well. He shows no true signs of having any deep psychological problems, no matter what some people would lead you to believe.

Anyone who writes him as some sort of war-crazed lunatic doesn't understand his character at all.
        i'm sure that if he did exhibit signs of PTSD, The IOA wouldn't hesitate to replace him (Cause they love having total authority over everything Stargate related) with someone on their level of thinking.
        Last edited by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard; 12 July 2011, 05:25 PM.

Comment

My cat came home!!! He was meowing at the wrong screened in porch, and my sister was walking from her car and she saw him. I need to catnip our porch so he remembers which one is ours.

He is safe and sound, and my muse is slowly returning. Seriously, having him missing was like having a missing child. You can't do anything until you know what has happened.

Interesting idea: if the tables were turned and everything in First Strike/Adrift/Lifeline happened to John instead of Elizabeth, how do you think she would react?

And with that deep thought, I'm going to sleep.

Night!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

Look for something in TBaF that addresses John's sadness. Let's just say, others have noticed he's not himself.
            And who better to notice than his teammates, who John himself regards as his adopted family?

In-very-deed. John has been through a great deal, but he still acts far too well-adjusted to believe that he's suffering from PTSD.

My cat came home!!! He was meowing at the wrong screened in porch, and my sister was walking from her car and she saw him. I need to catnip our porch so he remembers which one is ours.

He is safe and sound, and my muse is slowly returning. Seriously, having him missing was like having a missing child. You can't do anything until you know what has happened.
            Yay, kitty's back! Silly kitty! Catnip bait sounds like a good idea.

Interesting idea: if the tables were turned and everything in First Strike/Adrift/Lifeline happened to John instead of Elizabeth, how do you think she would react?

And with that deep thought, I'm going to sleep.

Night!
            Ooooh, that's an evil thought! I think the events of Common Ground give us a good indication of what would happen, though. He'd ask/order her to leave him behind, and while she'd be totally gutted emotionally, she'd do it, because she'd know it had to be done to save Atlantis. Just like he knew it.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Wow, some great discussion to the question. Great insight, everyone.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
              Ooooh, that's an evil thought! I think the events of Common Ground give us a good indication of what would happen, though. He'd ask/order her to leave him behind, and while she'd be totally gutted emotionally, she'd do it, because she'd know it had to be done to save Atlantis. Just like he knew it.
              Yes, I agree 100%. Both of them are leaders and will do what they have to for Atlantis. It doesn't mean they don't care, but they put the expedition above their own personal desires.

Oh, BTW - Trust is AWESOME! Great job!

Comment

if that did happen would Major Lorne take command of the military contingent?

Comment

I think I may have finally slain the dragon with regards to my computer problems. I tried a new suggestion to uninstall my current display driver, clean out my registry of all traces of previous drivers, and only then install the newest driver. So far, so good. All the tests I've run on the video card since doing this have come back clean (when they choked and vomited blue screens before). 'Bout darn time!

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                  Wow, some great discussion to the question. Great insight, everyone.

Yes, I agree 100%. Both of them are leaders and will do what they have to for Atlantis. It doesn't mean they don't care, but they put the expedition above their own personal desires.
                  That, I think, is a big part of what makes them good leaders. They put the mission and those that are counting on them above themselves.

Oh, BTW - Trust is AWESOME! Great job!
                  Whoo hoo! Glad you like it!

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                  if that did happen would Major Lorne take command of the military contingent?
                  Probably. Lorne is supposed to be Sheppard's second-in-command, so he'd be the logical choice.
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Morning all. It's a bit cooler here, so today shouldn't be as miserable as earlier in the week.

"Trust" is now complete on the SGARising website. Our writers, betas and most of all, our brilliant webmaster, KrisRussel have gone beyond the call of duty to get this one up in a timely fashion.

Meanwhile, "To Build A Fire" is coming along in the rewrite stage. I think the first chapter is re-re-re-rewritten and ready to go up on the 19th. Chapter 2 is in the final stages, and Chapter 3 is starting to trickle in from the betas. By next week it will be as ready for the nitpickers as it's ever going to get and hopefully, will provide a bit of comic relief from all the drama. Though getting caught in a snowstorm will provide plenty of drama of its own. Poor John. There's just something about those alien women.
                    sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday and Happy Bastille Day to Probie and all our fellow Sparkies in France!

Morning all. It's a bit cooler here, so today shouldn't be as miserable as earlier in the week.

"Trust" is now complete on the SGARising website. Our writers, betas and most of all, our brilliant webmaster, KrisRussel have gone beyond the call of duty to get this one up in a timely fashion.
                      Three episodes down, nineteen to go! We are on a roll!

Meanwhile, "To Build A Fire" is coming along in the rewrite stage. I think the first chapter is re-re-re-rewritten and ready to go up on the 19th. Chapter 2 is in the final stages, and Chapter 3 is starting to trickle in from the betas. By next week it will be as ready for the nitpickers as it's ever going to get and hopefully, will provide a bit of comic relief from all the drama. Though getting caught in a snowstorm will provide plenty of drama of its own. Poor John. There's just something about those alien women.
                      Yep, he just never sees it coming, does he? LMAO!

Comment

Sneaking on at work.

It's cooler here today, as well. I was really sick of the heat! But then, I'm that loony person who doesn't like summer at all.

I'm looking forward to "To Build A Fire". Woo Hoo!!

Yep, he just never sees it coming, does he? LMAO!
                        Nope! Whether it's alien princesses or big white beasts.

Comment

Sneaking on at work.

It's cooler here today, as well. I was really sick of the heat! But then, I'm that loony person who doesn't like summer at all.

I'm looking forward to "To Build A Fire". Woo Hoo!!

Nope! Whether it's alien princesses or big white beasts.
                          *high five sistah* I hate summer too. Maybe it goes back to my days of having to work on the farm.

At first glance, I thought you wrote "big white breasts". I've been looking at TBaF too long. Poor poor John. He'll probably never look at a Playboy magazine again. Hee.
                          sigpic

Comment

It's cool and cloudy in coastal Orange County today. Much better than the hot, sunny and muggy weather we had over the Fourth of July, that's for sure!

At first glance, I thought you wrote "big white breasts". I've been looking at TBaF too long. Poor poor John. He'll probably never look at a Playboy magazine again. Hee.
                            LMAO! Funny, I thought the same thing when I read JT-2's post. Hee! Poor John, indeed. That boy's gonna be scarred for life.

Comment

*high five sistah* I hate summer too. Maybe it goes back to my days of having to work on the farm.

Poor John. I'm glad I'm still in my whumping phase so I'll enjoy it a whole lot! I'll even be ok with Mayel doing the comforting instead of Elizabeth.

Well I never worked on a farm. The very idea of working on a farm scares the bejeezus out of me (I'm such a suburban chick). I'm always warm anyways, so the heat really makes me uncomfortable. My family says I got too much of my dad's British genes so my body wants it to be rainy and cool. But honestly, I much prefer snow to 90 degree heat.

It's cool and cloudy in coastal Orange County today. Much better than the hot, sunny and muggy weather we had over the Fourth of July, that's for sure!

LMAO! Funny, I thought the same thing when I read JT-2's post. Hee! Poor John, indeed. That boy's gonna be scarred for life.
                              ROTFLMAO! Well, I'm glad I inadvertently gave you guys some laughs.

A guy at the drug store started chatting with me and he thought I was just out of college! He asked if I had a job yet. LOL! I said "yes, for 14 years now" and he looked surprised then said I looked much younger. I don't know if he was flirting or just being nice, but either way it was a nice feeling.

Comment

Poor John. I'm glad I'm still in my whumping phase so I'll enjoy it a whole lot! I'll even be ok with Mayel doing the comforting instead of Elizabeth.

Well I never worked on a farm. The very idea of working on a farm scares the bejeezus out of me (I'm such a suburban chick). I'm always warm anyways, so the heat really makes me uncomfortable. My family says I got too much of my dad's British genes so my body wants it to be rainy and cool. But honestly, I much prefer snow to 90 degree heat.

ROTFLMAO! Well, I'm glad I inadvertently gave you guys some laughs.

A guy at the drug store started chatting with me and he thought I was just out of college! He asked if I had a job yet. LOL! I said "yes, for 14 years now" and he looked surprised then said I looked much younger. I don't know if he was flirting or just being nice, but either way it was a nice feeling.
                                Farms don't scare me, but cities do. LOL Though after living near Washington, DC for over 30 years, I can hail a cab with the best of them. LOL

I always looked young for my age too. Still do a bit, though now it has more to do with attitude I think.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X