No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing I have noticed browsing this thread is there is often an undertone of dislike towards Teyla - which I found quite surprising because I quite liked Teyla.

I think because I watched the series not seeing any relationships (like I said in my previous post, I can't believe how blind I was) my opinions of characters were more objective.

I can say this because I KNOW I've done the same in other series. In LOST I liked to find all the annoying things about Jack because I liked Sawyer better, and eventually little things about Kate annoyed me because I preferred Juliet as a character. I probably would have appreciated them all a lot more if I'd been less opinionated on relationships. :s

Comment

Originally posted by RachNZ View Post
      I used to watch SG1 as a kid until our networks in NZ pulled it and I sort of lost the world for years. In December I watched the Stargate movie and got hooked again. Took me 6 months to get through SG1 and Atlantis.

I immediately picked up on the Carter/O'Neill pairing but for some strange reason I completely missed the John/Elizabeth pairing until I'd finished season 5 and started exploring the fandom a little more. I then went back over little moments - and being the helpless romantic I am can not believe I missed it!

I'm looking forward to my second viewing of Atlantis so I can pick up on all the clues that I so ignorantly missed.

In the mean time I'm enjoying the fanfiction offerings
      Once you do see the Sparky relationship, you'll never be able to watch again without picking up on it. Enjoy your second time through...and your third...and your fourth.

One thing I have noticed browsing this thread is there is often an undertone of dislike towards Teyla - which I found quite surprising because I quite liked Teyla.

I think because I watched the series not seeing any relationships (like I said in my previous post, I can't believe how blind I was) my opinions of characters were more objective.

I can say this because I KNOW I've done the same in other series. In LOST I liked to find all the annoying things about Jack because I liked Sawyer better, and eventually little things about Kate annoyed me because I preferred Juliet as a character. I probably would have appreciated them all a lot more if I'd been less opinionated on relationships. :s
      Now, I have to take you to task before FH comes along and really takes you to task. We don't dislike Teyla. We like her very much, just not with John. And that we blame on the bad writing of TPTB who tried to push them together with little success with the fans. If you don't believe us, just read our SGARising and see what a big role we've given Teyla.

If you had been around the forum as long as some of us and had seen things that were said and how we were always told we were delusional and how Elizabeth was bashed constantly, you might understand that once in awhile a bit of anger comes out. But it has nothing to do with Teyla as a character or Rachel as an actor.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Okay, I have no idea where this came from, but I sat down and wrote a ficlet for 'nuna. Hope this helps, sweetie! (((Anuna)))
        Spoiler:
        John looked around, noticing the absence of one particular member. He nodded at Teyla, who made her way over to him, holding a bottle of Athosian wine.

"Is everything all right?"

"Um, I'm gonna go for a little walk, that's all. Just make sure McKay doesn't do anything stupid, all right?"

Teyla glanced quickly at the bottle she was holding, then desperately laughed. "Then what shall I do with this?"

John pressed his lips together. "I'll take that off your hands for you," he offered with a sly smile.

She handed it over to him, along with two hand made cups.

When John quirked an eyebrow, she explained, "She's at the shore line."

John opened his mouth to retort, but clamped it shut, only replying with a nod of thanks and understanding as he left the group.

-=-=-=-=-

Elizabeth sat on a large rock, letting her bare feet hang over as she allowed the cooling waves to rush over her feet again and again. The sand on this beach was very fine, but it made for an excellent do-it-yourself pedicure.

She heard the sound of heavy footsteps behind her.

She smiled, shielding her eyes as she looked at the sun hovering mid way in the sky. "I was wondering how long it would take for you to get away."

"Yeah, well, Rodney pretty much sealed the deal."

She laughed, then turned around and smiled at her companion. "And I see you made out with some of the goods."

"Teyla asked me to take it before McKay found it," he shrugged, offering her a cup and pulling the handmade stopper out of the bottle.

If Elizabeth remembered right, this particular wine tasted like red wine with a hint of raspberry -- its tartness at first made you not want anymore, but by the time you swallowed it, you got used to it, and wondered why you disliked it in the first place.

It reminded her of a certain major she knew.

John poured more in her glass, less in his, and he replaced the stopped firmly. Holding his cup, he looked at her. "So. What should we toast? No attacks, no coups, no sieges, so ..."

She looked around at all the nature around her, something she knew existed from Atlantis but couldn't see everyday. As her panoramic view ended with her looking at John, she couldn't help but smile. "To two friends who need to catch up."

John smiled with her. "Cheers."

As they both emptied their cups and felt a slight warmness in their stomachs, Elizabeth suggested a walk. "Just in case someone comes looking for you. You probably wouldn't want to be found sitting barefoot on a rock, pouring out your tale of how you cheated on your 5th grade math test just to impress your teacher."

John smirked as he stood, extending a hand to Elizabeth. "It was 6th grade, English, and she was hot," he corrected sarcastically, pulling her up.

She met his eyes for a brief glance; she saw the teasing, jovial nature of his last statement, but she could sense that the extra emphasis he placed on his last word wasn't merely directed at his 6th grade English teacher.

They averted their eyes, then began walking. John still had his boots on and was gently crunching against the sand. Elizabeth had managed to leave her boots in the Puddle Jumper and slipped into a pair of sandals, rolling up her black pants as they sat on the rock.

"So. How are you, Doctor Weir?" John asked, glancing over at her.

"I'm fine, Major Sheppard. How are you?"

He blew out a breath. "I'm good." He chuckled as they walked. "Well, I guess we've caught up. Bye."

She gently touched his arm. "Very funny." After a split second, she inserted her arm through the loop in his, coming to rest in the crook.

John glanced down at their entwined arms. "My lady?"

Elizabeth laughed.

They walked a few more steps in silence until John whispered something, just beyond her hearing range.

"What was that?" she asked, looking up at him.

He shrugged. "Just talking to myself."

"Anything you'd care to share with the rest of the class?"

He stopped walking, turning to face her. As her arm was about to fall, he reached out and held her hand. "There's something I do wanna talk to you about. I'm just ... mulling it over as I go, so no judgment until the end."

"All right."

"I know that since we've gotten here, we've butted heads a few times. And I gotta say, arguing with you is ... fun. Enjoyable. Which might be part of the reason I do it so often."

She chuckled faintly.

"But, no matter what happens, whatever we face, if Earth ever finds us," he said seriously, reaching for her other hand, "I will always be loyal to you. You're the head of this Expedition, you're the one who gave me a second chance. I waited a long time for someone to believe in me again, and you did, for better or for worse." He bit his lip at the phrasing but continued. "I will do my best not to question your decisions."

"John, I want you to question it. We run Atlantis together! I need you. I need your input. Without you, people would think I'm a dictator."

He made his puppy face. "So I should stop telling people you're a dictator?"

She shook her head with a smile, wriggling one of her hands out of his to hold it. They stood, each holding the other's hand, making vows of loyalty.

For a flash, she saw what their present stance could look like to someone else, but she didn't care.

John, however, did. He gently pulled their hands apart, then looked steadily in her green eyes. "I will swear this. I will support you. I may not agree, and if I don't, you'll hear about it before you make a decision. But I will stand up with you. Always."

"Always?"

John shrugged. "Well, until Rodney accidentally blows us up or something."

She laughed, then gently touched his cheek. "Thank you, John. I appreciate that."

As they started walking again, John quickly asked, "So should I get on bended knee?"

Elizabeth gaped at him.

He tilted his head, hazel eyes twinkling micheviously. "So you can dub me a knight?"

Comment

We don't dislike Teyla. We dislike people who are trying to tell us what we're supposed to think or like. I think nobody enjoys that, and I think all the anger that might have slipped between in various posts comes from that. Also, we've seen quite a bit bashing toward Elizabeth - I suppose you could find that if you browse some other threads and their older entries on this forum. I suppose you understand we don't appreciate that.

If you check out SGA Season six, you will find the way we treat teyla in our stories,a nd I hope you'll be pleased. The first episode of the series I'm working on is heavily focused on teyla, in fact. She will get more character development from us than she had ever gotten from PTB.
          I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Hi, welcome to the thread Kia ora Rach

I used to watch SG1 as a kid until our networks in NZ pulled it and I sort of lost the world for years. In December I watched the Stargate movie and got hooked again. Took me 6 months to get through SG1 and Atlantis.
            They did? I remember they put it on late (late is relative, at that stage I was getting up very early for work) and I used to fall asleep watching it (some of the s7 eps were very slow) so I stopped watching, and then they moved it to the weekends. Blockbuster came in handy

I immediately picked up on the Carter/O'Neill pairing but for some strange reason I completely missed the John/Elizabeth pairing until I'd finished season 5 and started exploring the fandom a little more. I then went back over little moments - and being the helpless romantic I am can not believe I missed it!
            The Carter/O'Neill thing was pretty obvious initially (it helps when they have a four episode arc dedicated to how much they care about each other), but IMO they backed off it in the later years. If you've watched SGU, you'd think they barely knew each other.

I'm looking forward to my second viewing of Atlantis so I can pick up on all the clues that I so ignorantly missed.

In the mean time I'm enjoying the fanfiction offerings
            As Anuna mentioned, there's always sparky season six, at www.sgarising.com

This surprises me, for two reasons. The first is that you're still on probation, so your posts will be getting moderated before being put up, so it stands to reason that whichever mod approved this thinks the same thing too. The other is that I've never gotten that impression - there has been the occassional poster in the past, but they usually get stomped on pretty quickly.

I'm not going to say that Teyla has never been bashed on this thread (I've not read the whole thread, for starters!) but I'd be surprised if anyone here actually disliked her. Most dislike the Sheyla pairing, but still like Teyla. As I'm sure there are Teyla fans who don't want her paired with anyone, we don't want her paired with Sheppard (unless it's written well).

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
            Okay, I have no idea where this came from, but I sat down and wrote a ficlet for 'nuna. Hope this helps, sweetie! (((Anuna)))
            Spoiler:
            John looked around, noticing the absence of one particular member. He nodded at Teyla, who made her way over to him, holding a bottle of Athosian wine.

"Um, I'm gonna go for a little walk, that's all. Just make sure McKay doesn't do anything stupid, all right?"

Teyla glanced quickly at the bottle she was holding, then desperately laughed. "Then what shall I do with this?"

John pressed his lips together. "I'll take that off your hands for you," he offered with a sly smile.

John opened his mouth to retort, but clamped it shut, only replying with a nod of thanks and understanding as he left the group.

-=-=-=-=-

Elizabeth sat on a large rock, letting her bare feet hang over as she allowed the cooling waves to rush over her feet again and again. The sand on this beach was very fine, but it made for an excellent do-it-yourself pedicure.

She smiled, shielding her eyes as she looked at the sun hovering mid way in the sky. "I was wondering how long it would take for you to get away."

She laughed, then turned around and smiled at her companion. "And I see you made out with some of the goods."

"Teyla asked me to take it before McKay found it," he shrugged, offering her a cup and pulling the handmade stopper out of the bottle.

If Elizabeth remembered right, this particular wine tasted like red wine with a hint of raspberry -- its tartness at first made you not want anymore, but by the time you swallowed it, you got used to it, and wondered why you disliked it in the first place.

John poured more in her glass, less in his, and he replaced the stopped firmly. Holding his cup, he looked at her. "So. What should we toast? No attacks, no coups, no sieges, so ..."

She looked around at all the nature around her, something she knew existed from Atlantis but couldn't see everyday. As her panoramic view ended with her looking at John, she couldn't help but smile. "To two friends who need to catch up."

As they both emptied their cups and felt a slight warmness in their stomachs, Elizabeth suggested a walk. "Just in case someone comes looking for you. You probably wouldn't want to be found sitting barefoot on a rock, pouring out your tale of how you cheated on your 5th grade math test just to impress your teacher."

John smirked as he stood, extending a hand to Elizabeth. "It was 6th grade, English, and she was hot," he corrected sarcastically, pulling her up.

She met his eyes for a brief glance; she saw the teasing, jovial nature of his last statement, but she could sense that the extra emphasis he placed on his last word wasn't merely directed at his 6th grade English teacher.

They averted their eyes, then began walking. John still had his boots on and was gently crunching against the sand. Elizabeth had managed to leave her boots in the Puddle Jumper and slipped into a pair of sandals, rolling up her black pants as they sat on the rock.

He blew out a breath. "I'm good." He chuckled as they walked. "Well, I guess we've caught up. Bye."

She gently touched his arm. "Very funny." After a split second, she inserted her arm through the loop in his, coming to rest in the crook.

Elizabeth laughed.

They walked a few more steps in silence until John whispered something, just beyond her hearing range.

He stopped walking, turning to face her. As her arm was about to fall, he reached out and held her hand. "There's something I do wanna talk to you about. I'm just ... mulling it over as I go, so no judgment until the end."

"All right."

"I know that since we've gotten here, we've butted heads a few times. And I gotta say, arguing with you is ... fun. Enjoyable. Which might be part of the reason I do it so often."

She chuckled faintly.

"But, no matter what happens, whatever we face, if Earth ever finds us," he said seriously, reaching for her other hand, "I will always be loyal to you. You're the head of this Expedition, you're the one who gave me a second chance. I waited a long time for someone to believe in me again, and you did, for better or for worse." He bit his lip at the phrasing but continued. "I will do my best not to question your decisions."

"John, I want you to question it. We run Atlantis together! I need you. I need your input. Without you, people would think I'm a dictator."

She shook her head with a smile, wriggling one of her hands out of his to hold it. They stood, each holding the other's hand, making vows of loyalty.

For a flash, she saw what their present stance could look like to someone else, but she didn't care.

John, however, did. He gently pulled their hands apart, then looked steadily in her green eyes. "I will swear this. I will support you. I may not agree, and if I don't, you'll hear about it before you make a decision. But I will stand up with you. Always."

"Always?"

She laughed, then gently touched his cheek. "Thank you, John. I appreciate that."

As they started walking again, John quickly asked, "So should I get on bended knee?"

Elizabeth gaped at him.

He tilted his head, hazel eyes twinkling micheviously. "So you can dub me a knight?"
            *lol* at
            Spoiler:
            should I stop telling people you're a dictator?

I'm sure Anuna will be very pleased with this gift
            Last edited by gateraid; 28 June 2011, 09:49 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

-=-=-=-=-

Elizabeth laughed.

"All right."

She chuckled faintly.

"Always?"

Elizabeth gaped at him.

THIS. OMG. THIS!!!! It was perfect and just what I needed after a crappy, crappy day. The banter was PERFECT. Can I beg for more? More ficlets, not necessarily a continuation of this... something with a kiss?

Comment

Get on over to the Writers' Block at SGARising and check out Eri's new entry. There's a nice little snippet from Trust that will tell you just where we're going next with Teyla.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                  Hi, welcome to the thread Kia ora Rach

They did? I remember they put it on late (late is relative, at that stage I was getting up very early for work) and I used to fall asleep watching it (some of the s7 eps were very slow) so I stopped watching, and then they moved it to the weekends. Blockbuster came in handy

The Carter/O'Neill thing was pretty obvious initially (it helps when they have a four episode arc dedicated to how much they care about each other), but IMO they backed off it in the later years. If you've watched SGU, you'd think they barely knew each other.

As Anuna mentioned, there's always sparky season six, at www.sgarising.com

This surprises me, for two reasons. The first is that you're still on probation, so your posts will be getting moderated before being put up, so it stands to reason that whichever mod approved this thinks the same thing too. The other is that I've never gotten that impression - there has been the occassional poster in the past, but they usually get stomped on pretty quickly.

I'm not going to say that Teyla has never been bashed on this thread (I've not read the whole thread, for starters!) but I'd be surprised if anyone here actually disliked her. Most dislike the Sheyla pairing, but still like Teyla. As I'm sure there are Teyla fans who don't want her paired with anyone, we don't want her paired with Sheppard (unless it's written well).

*lol* at
                  Spoiler:

Hm. Interesting. And possible. But it's also possible that whichever mk

I never disliked *Teyla* as a character - I disliked what PTB dome with her several times, and I disliked people who tried to make her look better by painting a very ugly picture about Elizabeth. Those always got a sharper end of the pitchfork from me. I'm known to be ironic as well, especially in my angry posts (there were some, over the years!) so you can't take everything I say literally. But there are things that I see in negative light and I'll always say so. At the end it's really simple. We can disagree - respectfully.

Sooooooo. what are we up to today, thread?

Comment

I don't know about everybody else, but I'm bored and went looking for fics. I found this great post CG one that will make you go '"awwwww". Enjoy.
                    sigpic

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

First off, welcome to the Sparky thread!

As to your comments about Teyla... Well, after you mentioned in your previous post that you had totally missed John/Elizabeth the first time you watched SGA, I can only guess that you've similarly missed our real feelings about Teyla. We don't hate Teyla, or Rachel Luttrell. Far from it! What we don't like is the cliche-filled writing that TPTW dreamed up for her, or the way that some fans have tried to ram their preference for Sheppard/Teyla down our throats, then start calling us rather nasty names and bashing Elizabeth and Torri Higginson when we point out logical reasons for why we prefer Sheppard/Weir over Sheppard/Teyla. The suggestion to check out our SGA virtual series project, Atlantis Rising, is an excellent one, as it'll give you a chance to see a Teyla who is a fully-realized character and not being wallpapered or used solely as a plot device. I hope you'll check it out.

Spoiler:

-=-=-=-=-

Elizabeth laughed.

"All right."

She chuckled faintly.

"Always?"

Elizabeth gaped at him.

OMG, that's so cute! I'll never say no to Sir John!

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                      I don't know about everybody else, but I'm bored and went looking for fics. I found this great post CG one that will make you go '"awwwww". Enjoy.
                      Bil! He writes good Sparky fics. Definitely go give his other fics a looksee when you get a chance.
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

*takes deep breath*

That's not...

Now, I have to take you to task before FH comes along and really takes you to task.
                        Oh... never mind... what she said.

I'm the resident Teyla-ologist... ...always keeping an eye out for the character. But like SR said, Teyla isn't hated as a character (or Rachel as an actress). Besides, they'd have me to deal with...

Oh, and I'm semi-Sparky. My fave pairing is actually Kate/Teyla cause THEY SO BELONG!!! *thunk*

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                        Sooooooo. what are we up to today, thread?
                        MELTING!!! .... *lures cold air into room*
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                          *lol* at
                          Spoiler:

Yup. I think so too.

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                          THIS. OMG. THIS!!!! It was perfect and just what I needed after a crappy, crappy day. The banter was PERFECT. Can I beg for more? More ficlets, not necessarily a continuation of this... something with a kiss?
                          You're welcome sweetie!!!

Oh ho ho, temptation, thy name is Sparky. Tell you what: let me get done packing/throwing out clothes and watching some more "Castle", then we'll see what I can come up with!

Get on over to the Writers' Block at SGARising and check out Eri's new entry. There's a nice little snippet from Trust that will tell you just where we're going next with Teyla.
                          *hurries to read ... after SW gets done typing this reply *

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                          Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

OMG, that's so cute! I'll never say no to Sir John!
                          Thanks!!!

Bil! He writes good Sparky fics. Definitely go give his other fics a looksee when you get a chance.
                          Like this one -- "Insanity in Pegasus", an old favorite!

Comment

I'm going to apologise for my previous post re Teyla, I've obviously jumped the gun on what I was reading. Thanks for everybody setting me straight - I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Comment

I'm going to apologise for my previous post re Teyla, I've obviously jumped the gun on what I was reading. Thanks for everybody setting me straight - I didn't mean to offend anyone.
                              I don't think anyone was truly offended, don't worry about it!

By the way, welcome to the thread!!!

Comment

New stargate_ren fic is up!

Thanks to mathgirl for the head's up.

Comment

Working...
                                X