Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Sorry, but the DVD magazines are not a canon source. The information in them was never cleared with the producers and in a number of places is directly contradicted by on-screen evidence in the episodes themselves.
    ETA: There's one particularly famous goof, in which the magazine states that Laura Cadman was in the US Air Force. Yet in the episode "Duet," one of the family photos in Cadman's quarters clearly shows her wearing a US Marine Corps dress uniform. So, she's in the Marines, not the Air Force.

Based on my viewing of both SG-1 and SGA, Weir's birthday should fall sometime in early to mid-spring, not autumn.
    okay. mea culpa.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
      @SK SR and Erin - gotcha. I was thinking about that particular thing, and yes, I can keep this mild (didn't intend to be very gushy over it.)
      Spoiler:
      There's also this option -

There can be commemoration for everyone expedition had lost at some point, which leads Teyla to organize a private tea ceremony for people who were closest to Eliazbeth,

or

it can be her brithday. Either way I'm perfectly capable of keeping the event low key, and still keeping the emotional impact of it. What do you guys think? I think I'm gonna go with commemoration for everyone option, I think there should be one.

Also, it's very helpful to know when my first finished draft should be done. I might have act 5 done this week (for some weird reason this story insists on being written backwards!)
      I would also go with option 1. And the rest of your plan sounds awesome.

BoD is set to begin on Aug. 23. So I'd say the first draft needs to be ready by the first week in August. You can work out with your beta how to do it--all at once or chapter by chapter as time allows. But I need a day for each chapter to do the editing. Therefore, it should be in my hands by Aug. 16.

First I read them for content and mark any errors I happen to see. Then I go back line by line looking for grammar errors. That's very time consuming and labor intensive. Thus, it can't be accomplished quickly. I've already seen things I missed in RTP pt 1. Then the writer needs time to make corrections and get it to Kris at least a day before it has to be up. We don't have a lot of wiggle room.

All writers need to read and heed this explanation.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Pocus View Post
        Just saw a mention of you guys on Stargate Movie Campaign on Facebook
        Yay!

Hello all! I'm back from my mini vacation, and I'm so HAPPY to see we're being mentioned at so many places! WOOT! Thumbs up for good work and let's keep kickin'!

I have some news regarding my episode, and a few questions. Now when I'm working on it in earnest I started to think of a B- plot line and a common theme for the entire episode emerged organically. I'll be looking into choices and regrets of various characters, not just Teyla's; and contrast their respective experiences. Introspection is what I'm good with, and I think, the way things are starting to shape up, other writers will be able to tie in some things mentioned in BoD in later episodes (I will too, in my second ep, "Gravity").
        Spoiler:

Anyway. My first question is the status of John and Mayel's relationship in time of BoD. Bod is in #7 slot and I need to know what is John/Mayel status. Also, I need to know if John and Rodney had a conversation about what Rodney did in Adrift with Elizabeth's nanites, and do we consider this issue dealt with? I reference Rodney's actions in a scene near the end of the episode, and I need to know this to get the emotional tone of John and Rodney conversation correct.

Now the news. my subplot idea for the episode is this, and I need you guys to okay this for me. I would really LOVE to do this and it would add so much to the entire episode -- with Elizabeth's birthday approaching the expedition, especially original members and people whow ere closest to Elizabeth want to celebrate this day, have a proper commemoration for her/something. It wasn't done since she was gone, and it's Teyla's idea to mark it somehow, so everyone who knew her could celebrate her, everything she has done for the expedition and them, and also, make peace with themselves and their loss. This is something that John and Rodney are finding difficult to deal with, and their reactions are different although their reasons are similar. This subplot allows me to introduce a theme for entire episode - dealing with regrets in one's life. I'm planning to allow Rodney to find some peace at the end of BoD, something Teyla and Kanaan will help him with, but John, on the other hand, will ahve tod eal with this issue in Gravity, which is set after Eliazbeth's return.

After Teyla's incident with mysterios Ancient device, which has her trapped in a stasis pod, all main characters are working hard on discovering what the device is supposed to do. I expect I'll need some help with technobabble. I also forsee rewatching "Back to the future" very soon, as I plan to reference that movie, and possibly, Doctor Who (shoot me. I can't resist, it just all fits too well). While they're all working, Rodney and John will have to deal with their struggles, especially when Jennifer and Carson discover parallels between what's happening to Teyla's body in mind and Carson's findings in TRW, when Elizabeth was trapped by the nanites. Yes, I am planning to push John's and Rodney's buttons with this. Poor boys.

The Box, or Pandora's Box - the device Teyla is trapped in is a different kind of time travel device - it allows a person to time travel with their mind and change the past based on subconscious, regrets, wishes and what - ifs. When person enters the device, it performs a full scan, and then a "guidance software" comes online (in Teyla's case it looks like Kate Heightmeyer - the device chooses the appereance based on participant's subconscious, or rather, this is a subconscious choice of the person trapped inside) and accompanies the person through the experience of time travel. It works like you-find-yourself-living-a-certain-scenario (for Dr Who fans, think Amy's Choice in Season 5). The person inside the box doesn't have to physically change something, but the device creates the change and the pariticipant has to adapt and live inside that scenario. teyla is going to find that difficult. I have several ideas about her scenarios - one of them involves her father surviving Wraith culling, and in order to survive it he had to run away fron his people with Teyla who was still a child. They live with some other race in Pegasus, perhaps the Genii? and Teyla has to deal with being a second - class citizen, havign a very sick father who can't forgive hismelf and being separated from her people and her culture.

The Box of Dreams is supposed to lead people quickly to their desired changed lives - yet with teyla it's different because she's Athosian, and brought up to accept hardships in life as they come. Kanaan shoudl mention several times through the episode that Athosians don't believe in regrets, and that they're raised and taught to live their lives to its fullest, because they rarely get to live by old age. life is precious, and every day, every experience is precious and they tend to treat it that way. Teyla is definitely someone who lives by this "code", and while she does have regrets, she doesn't dwelve on them like earth humans usually do. At the end this very fact helps Teyla make her final decision (choice) and ends her journey. We know the outcome, we get Kate Heightmeyer back. I plan to deal with that choice in Who-ish way (emotional aspect, not technological one).

Anyway, those are my thoughts and plans so far. Any help and/or comments are greatly appreciated. Please let me know if these ideas fit into other story arcs and plans.)
        WOW. THAT SOUNDS AWESOME.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        That is just awesome. I am so glad the word of our project is spreading far and wide.

I would say for you and all the writers, the eps need to be finished about 3 weeks before the first chapter goes up. It needs to go to the betas, back to you for rewriting and then to me for final editing. I can do about a chapter a day, but you can't always count on the fact that I won't be busy. So, I will need at least a week to get all the chapters done. Count back from the publication date of your first chapter, in your case that's July 26. But remember you also need time to make corrections before each chapter goes up. The last few days before publication are turning out to be quite hectic. If I happen to be tied up, I will make sure to warn the writers.

For example, the last week in July is going to be busy for me as I'm having a house guest. So if I can edit all of First Year by the 26th, it would be helpful.
        Yeah, I'm going to try and stick to the timeline by Trust, but it's gonna be tough unless I crank out like 30 pages for the last two chapters in the next 3 days. I'm gonna try, though.

Anuna, on your ideas...

Spoiler:

I'm with the others on the Elizabeth memorial idea, but I like the idea of a general memorial.

What if we tie it in this way, so it has a bit of a basis--word comes back to Atlantis at the beginning of BOD of the Destiny's fate (they were trapped in some weird time dilation pausey thingamajjigger at the end of SGU) and it sort of upsets everyone by reminding them of all the losses they've suffered, and people had hope for the Destiny crew.

Teyla, then suggests some kind of 'passing' ceremony to honor the Destiny crew and also to remember the others losses. While we had the Langaran episode happen right before Atlantis takes off, I think we can stretch a little to have the end of SGU fall around this time--there's not a clear timeline between those two, I think. It would be a neat parallel in more than one way.

I also think that by the end of BOD, Mayel and John should be pretty intense. Perhaps the experience here with regrets is what prompts him to make that final really big move? The reason being that the end of Episode 8 is going to be when Mayel steals the drug and Episode 9 when John finds out about it and realizes he's been betrayed. So they definitely need to be pretty heavily involved prior to Eppy 8. But I think that maybe BOD gives them the reason to no longer hold back? That might be cool and fun for you to write.

Thoughts?
        Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
          So maybe for Elizabeth's next birthday (season 7), she'll get John with a big red bow?

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
          Yeah, I'm going to try and stick to the timeline by Trust, but it's gonna be tough unless I crank out like 30 pages for the last two chapters in the next 3 days. I'm gonna try, though.
          Heh, I know what you mean. And you know about the last-minute tweaks we're making in RtP 2 to sync up a little better with Trust.

Anuna, on your ideas...

Spoiler:

I'm with the others on the Elizabeth memorial idea, but I like the idea of a general memorial.

What if we tie it in this way, so it has a bit of a basis--word comes back to Atlantis at the beginning of BOD of the Destiny's fate (they were trapped in some weird time dilation pausey thingamajjigger at the end of SGU) and it sort of upsets everyone by reminding them of all the losses they've suffered, and people had hope for the Destiny crew.
          Uh oh...
          Spoiler:
          I think you've got that mixed up with the AU version of Destiny that was thrown back in time earlier in SGU S2. In the final episode of the series, the main timeline's Destiny crew went into the ship's stasis pods so they could make a big long FTL jump to the next galaxy without having to stop and replenish supplies and risk getting attacked by those technology-destroying robot drones. They estimated the jump would take three years, so with everyone in stasis, Destiny will be incommunicado for all that time. The situation with Eli staying out to fix that last stasis pod was left unresolved, so it's possible he could have checked in with Earth again after the rest went to sleep...

Spoiler:
          Teyla, then suggests some kind of 'passing' ceremony to honor the Destiny crew and also to remember the others losses. While we had the Langaran episode happen right before Atlantis takes off, I think we can stretch a little to have the end of SGU fall around this time--there's not a clear timeline between those two, I think. It would be a neat parallel in more than one way.
          Spoiler:
          As I noted in my reports on SGU, that series has done a very good job at marking the passage of time, so there is a pretty clear timeline. "Seizure" (the SGU/SGA crossover with the Langarans) takes place about ten months after SGU begins; the SGU series finale takes place about two months or so after that. Colonel Telford does say in the SGU series finale that Woolsey is still working on the negotiations with the Langarans. That seemed to be a hint that Atlantis might still be on Earth at that time, but it's possible that Atlantis could've taken off for Pegasus sometime after "Seizure" but before the series finale, and Woolsey could be using the stones to go back and forth between Earth and Atlantis to continue working with the Langarans.

I've got a scene in Act 4 of RtP 2 where Woolsey has stoned back to Earth and briefly speaks with Nancy, and they talk about the events of the SGU finale as though they already took place. If we're changing that, I need to know ASAP.
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Spoiler:
            There's also this option -
            There can be commemoration for everyone expedition had lost at some point...
            I happen to have a list of almost all of the people who died in the first 4 years...halfway through season 4 and season 5 aren't included though. Never got around to finishing it.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
              That is just awesome. I am so glad the word of our project is spreading far and wide.

I would say for you and all the writers, the eps need to be finished about 3 weeks before the first chapter goes up. It needs to go to the betas, back to you for rewriting and then to me for final editing. I can do about a chapter a day, but you can't always count on the fact that I won't be busy. So, I will need at least a week to get all the chapters done. Count back from the publication date of your first chapter, in your case that's July 26. But remember you also need time to make corrections before each chapter goes up. The last few days before publication are turning out to be quite hectic. If I happen to be tied up, I will make sure to warn the writers.

For example, the last week in July is going to be busy for me as I'm having a house guest. So if I can edit all of First Year by the 26th, it would be helpful.
              *deep breath* Okay. So for me that means that I need to shoot for July 5 as my draft 1 deadline. I seriously don't know if that's going to happen, but I'll give it my best shot.

Spoiler:
              Unfortunately for me, I have a tendency to write stories very slowly. Here's hoping it'll go faster once I get into the main swing of the plot.
              sigpic
              Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Heh, I know what you mean. And you know about the last-minute tweaks we're making in RtP 2 to sync up a little better with Trust.

Uh oh...
                Spoiler:
                I think you've got that mixed up with the AU version of Destiny that was thrown back in time earlier in SGU S2. In the final episode of the series, the main timeline's Destiny crew went into the ship's stasis pods so they could make a big long FTL jump to the next galaxy without having to stop and replenish supplies and risk getting attacked by those technology-destroying robot drones. They estimated the jump would take three years, so with everyone in stasis, Destiny will be incommunicado for all that time. The situation with Eli staying out to fix that last stasis pod was left unresolved, so it's possible he could have checked in with Earth again after the rest went to sleep...

Spoiler:
                As I noted in my reports on SGU, that series has done a very good job at marking the passage of time, so there is a pretty clear timeline. "Seizure" (the SGU/SGA crossover with the Langarans) takes place about ten months after SGU begins; the SGU series finale takes place about two months or so after that. Colonel Telford does say in the SGU series finale that Woolsey is still working on the negotiations with the Langarans. That seemed to be a hint that Atlantis might still be on Earth at that time, but it's possible that Atlantis could've taken off for Pegasus sometime after "Seizure" but before the series finale, and Woolsey could be using the stones to go back and forth between Earth and Atlantis to continue working with the Langarans.

I've got a scene in Act 4 of RtP 2 where Woolsey has stoned back to Earth and briefly speaks with Nancy, and they talk about the events of the SGU finale as though they already took place. If we're changing that, I need to know ASAP.
                Well, those were only suggestions--I don't want to make more work than is necessary. Knowing what I had to do to alter RTP in the wake of SGU I don't want to make someone rewrite while in a pressure cooker--it's no fun. I knew that...

Spoiler:
                The SGU ending had left a lot of people unsatisfied because of something having to do with stasis, but I didn't know the deets. Thanks for clearing it up. Seems like it doesn't tie much into a memorial ceremony, then.

However, them being in stasis pods does sort of parallel the idea Anuna had about the stasis pods--might be something to bring up or mention offhand at least for continuity sake.
                Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  I happen to have a list of almost all of the people who died in the first 4 years...halfway through season 4 and season 5 aren't included though. Never got around to finishing it.
                  Gee, I wonder why? *shakes fist at TPTW*

Originally posted by Erin87 View Post
                  *deep breath* Okay. So for me that means that I need to shoot for July 5 as my draft 1 deadline. I seriously don't know if that's going to happen, but I'll give it my best shot.

Spoiler:
                  Unfortunately for me, I have a tendency to write stories very slowly. Here's hoping it'll go faster once I get into the main swing of the plot.
                  *huggles* I write slowly too, which sometimes gets me into trouble coming up against deadlines. But you can do it!

Well, those were only suggestions--I don't want to make more work than is necessary. Knowing what I had to do to alter RTP in the wake of SGU I don't want to make someone rewrite while in a pressure cooker--it's no fun. I knew that...

Spoiler:
                  The SGU ending had left a lot of people unsatisfied because of something having to do with stasis, but I didn't know the deets. Thanks for clearing it up. Seems like it doesn't tie much into a memorial ceremony, then.

However, them being in stasis pods does sort of parallel the idea Anuna had about the stasis pods--might be something to bring up or mention offhand at least for continuity sake.
                  I think
                  Spoiler:
                  mentioning the situation on Destiny in a "we're all hoping and praying for the best for them" kind of way does sort of fit in with the memorial service idea, it's just that the distinction needs to be made that they're not dead, just blissfully dreaming away for the next three years. And there's that parallel with Anuna's idea about Pandora's Box being like a stasis pod. Gotta love it.
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Erin87 View Post

Spoiler:
                    I'm the world's slowest writer and have a lot of trouble with the long fics so TBaF almost killed me.

The deadlines I have set are best case scenarios, so if they have to be adjusted, they can be. I don't want anyone stressed out and doing less than their best because of a deadline. We may have to bump up the Oct break also.

I have lots of free time this summer, so if anyone needs something beta'd ahead of schedule, I can do it.

Since we have so many eyes on our project right now, we want to give it all we can.
                    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

ooooo kayyyyy - since I have a monster headache tonight (no writing, woe), I need clarification -
                      Spoiler:

does Atlantis crew know about Destiny's destiny by BoD? If they do, I can work in what happened to them into episode. Athosians probably have some kind of passing ritual, in fact, Kanaan might bring it up. I'm having fun thinking how boys might try to teach him Earth things, and he could share Athosian stuff with them in return. Actually, it might result in pretty crackworthy situations - not necesarrily for this fic, but I could always do several "deleted scenes".

Regarding John and Mayel - OMG YAY! I am going to have a BLAST with this. And I think i know just the right emotional tone, if not exactly what to do with John and Mayel scene somewhere near the end of the episode. I migth even leave that scene for the end, that way it's going to have more impact.

Also, something not directly SGA, but military related, and genuinely heartwarming. http://twitpic.com/5b520y/full
                      I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

ooooo kayyyyy - since I have a monster headache tonight (no writing, woe), I need clarification -
                        Spoiler:

does Atlantis crew know about Destiny's destiny by BoD? If they do, I can work in what happened to them into episode. Athosians probably have some kind of passing ritual, in fact, Kanaan might bring it up. I'm having fun thinking how boys might try to teach him Earth things, and he could share Athosian stuff with them in return. Actually, it might result in pretty crackworthy situations - not necesarrily for this fic, but I could always do several "deleted scenes".

Regarding John and Mayel - OMG YAY! I am going to have a BLAST with this. And I think i know just the right emotional tone, if not exactly what to do with John and Mayel scene somewhere near the end of the episode. I migth even leave that scene for the end, that way it's going to have more impact.

Also, something not directly SGA, but military related, and genuinely heartwarming. http://twitpic.com/5b520y/full
                        Feel better I've been having mother nature's monthly migranes.
                        BALCONIES
                        The Breeding Ground of Ships.
                        sigpic

Comment

Finally made it back! Had a long weekend, plus I went to a funeral for the oldest son of a man who is like my uncle -- he had a lot of support, almost 300 people came to the funeral and paid their respects. Very touching.

Anyhoodle-diddly-doo:

Regarding the [spoilers] in everyone else's posts:
                          Spoiler:
                          I like the idea of it being a commeration too. It stays in line with canon by not centering too much on Elizabeth and instead encompassing all the members who have died. I know that if it was specifically for Elizabeth, a lot of people would think something is up, and we don't wanna give anything away quite yet. I like the hints better.

Can't wait for RtP Part 2 to be posted tomorrow!!!

I've Tweeted waaaaay too much tonight, LOL.

I went to the beach today and am no longer pasty white. For living in Florida, I'm a pale girl.

Working on "On The Other Side" Chapter 5, I think I'm gonna post it and take a hiatus for a while on that story to finish up the other two I've been working on since September. I owe them that.

*resumes lurking*

Oh, and loves .

The end.

Comment

Okay, I should be asleep, but I had to make this:

Spoilers for Season 6-7 of SGARising:
                            Spoiler:

I'll keep the other sig so I don't give anything away, but yet again, I must say how much I love downloadable Stargate fonts, PhotoBucket, and Paint. I love making sigs!

On the down side, I just found out that one of my childhood best friends is getting married in the fall, on a weekend when I technically already have plans! Even though she already invited me to crash ... what should I do?

I'm not going to get any sleep tonight now.

Night, all, see you in the morning ...

*passes out*

Comment

*huggles ShipperWriter* Good to have you back!

Spoiler:

Blech, I'm joining you on that too-sick-to-write wagon. I hate that time of the month. I finally felt good enough to pick at a couple of things tonight, but I'm hoping I'll feel better enough to get back on track tomorrow. I think it also scrambled my timeline-working skillz, too, as I goofed when I spoke about the SGU/SGARising timeline earlier.
                              Spoiler:
                              Yes, Atlantis should know about Destiny's crew having to go into extended stasis by the time BoD rolls around. I took another look at the timeline that Eri established for the preparations for Atlantis's return in RtP 1, and based on that and the SGU timeline, it looks like the SGU finale might fall sometime around First Year or just afterward. Depending on how much time passes between SGARising's episodes 3-6 (Eri, SR and Erin will need to clarify that, since they're working on those episodes), it's possible that the news about Destiny has only just come in when BoD starts. So I'm removing that reference to the SGU finale that I had put in RtP 2. If you're still interested in writing BoD as happening right after the SGU finale, it looks like that should work.

I'm giggling in glee at what we're doing with John/Mayel. This is gonna be soooo much good clean evil fun!

And that pic made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! That was so sweet!

Comment

**** you GW and your continued multi****enquote problems. And your ****en login problems - lick my go to get over it gateraid.

Re SS6

Spoiler:
                                I agree it needs to be a combined memorial. I <3 Elizabeth, but it's been too long for them to be still focused solely on her. Working in SGU seems like a good idea, because it makes it seem less impulsive. While its something that probably should/should've been done at some point, maybe this is the thing that makes them think "pumpernickel, this is a dangerous occupation, maybe we should have a cup of tea and think about times gone by". If there's something specifically devoted to Weir, sizing will be key. Carson's funeral (in Sunday) didn't actually have huge numbers present - maybe twenty or so? Weir's been gone for a few years now, so maybe the expedition members that are there now wont have a strong connection to her.

Re the deadlines - if anyone has things they want to bounce off me, feel free to do so. I'm a blank slate. Really, ask anyone who knows me Also, apparently I need to read up more on stuff that is happening later in the season

Falcon Horus, as always, thank you for the heads up. And re the slap - I haven't had one of them in a while. Thank you, come again
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X