Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    About that moment in LFP. I always thought it was interesting that she asks John to tape a message for Sumner's family. I think she knew it would help him, help his emotional state.
    I lov the fact that we're discussing all of this now. I love how this thread can always go back to basics and revisit the entire show and find something new, inetersting, or at least a new point of view. It's a proof of quality I say.

I think it was a very good decision on Elizabeth's part. I can remember vividly how John didn't like being in front of the camera, but he toughed out. He was the military commander that took over Sumner's position and owned it, right there in that video. I think by asking John to do that, record that message, elizabeth had helped him accept that what happened to Sumner wasn't his fault, but not just that - if she had any doubts in John's qualities as a commander, she wouldn't have had him record that message, she would ahve done it herself. But she chose John, and it was another way of saying "I'm behind you on this" and that's something John never really had in his professional life. After 11 months of Anctartica, it must have been very different for him.
    I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      Ha. He was such a great character in that. Did you hear the story about him watching it with his boys and 3 nephews? That must have been a hoot. And then the next day they all argued over who was going to be "Daddy" when they played Ferocious Planet. So cute.
      No I hadn't heard that story. That's adorable!! Aww!

She understood exactly how he felt about what he had done.
      She seemed to understand all the way back in Rising, in the final balcony scene. She understood he didn't feel like partying. And instead of going off to party with the others, she joined him looking out at the sea. What an iconic way to end the pilot, with the 2 of them standing there talking.

When she was around he had trouble looking anyplace else. LOL
      Very true!! Another example is the end scene of Irresistible when he rarely looks away from her face.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
        Elizabeth is so checking out John's behind in that last pic. I'm just sayin'.
        And she's thinking of naughty ways to enjoy his beard. That was such a great moment!

Comment

She seemed to understand all the way back in Rising, in the final balcony scene. She understood he didn't feel like partying. And instead of going off to party with the others, she joined him looking out at the sea. What an iconic way to end the pilot, with the 2 of them standing there talking.

Very true!! Another example is the end scene of Irresistible when he rarely looks away from her face.

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/alb...l_303_1061.JPG
          OH sweetie, I think I am in love with your brain! can we be friends?

I think that's a great way to describe it, she saw immediately that John wears his burdens heavily. I think she was able to read him well from the start, and he, perhaps, wouldn't let hismelf believe that someone finally is giving him the chance he's been craving. In the beginning, at least. He relaxed later and learned to let himself depend on her, and believe in her.

Comment

And she's thinking of naughty ways to enjoy his beard. That was such a great moment!
            Now you're feeding my smut muse. *hides*

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
              I lov the fact that we're discussing all of this now. I love how this thread can always go back to basics and revisit the entire show and find something new, inetersting, or at least a new point of view. It's a proof of quality I say.

I think it was a very good decision on Elizabeth's part. I can remember vividly how John didn't like being in front of the camera, but he toughed out. He was the military commander that took over Sumner's position and owned it, right there in that video. I think by asking John to do that, record that message, elizabeth had helped him accept that what happened to Sumner wasn't his fault, but not just that - if she had any doubts in John's qualities as a commander, she wouldn't have had him record that message, she would ahve done it herself. But she chose John, and it was another way of saying "I'm behind you on this" and that's something John never really had in his professional life. After 11 months of Anctartica, it must have been very different for him.
              So true. Right from that moment, he was the military commander in his own mind. That's a job that all commanders have to do at some time or another--give that speech to loved ones of a lost soldier. It's a sad thing and John did an admirable job. Her belief in him must have added to his strength at that time.

Don't you just know for all those months in Antarctica, he had been unsure of himself and had plenty of time to develop the bad self image he had when he first came to Atlantis? But, thanks to Elizabeth and all the new friends he had made, all that was overcome. It took a while longer to be completely at home, but by the end of his time with the pansy wannabes, he was over all that insecurity. Thanks mostly to her.

Of course, we can't give all the credit to Elizabeth. I would even include Rodney as someone who had helped John. The comfortable teasing relationship coupled with the actuality of being friends to the bone was very important to John and must have filled a void that his bad relationship with his brother must have left. And you can include Ronon, Teyla, Carson and even Ford also as friends who made John realize his own worth. Teyla always had a way of making people feel important, and her gentle little sister relationship with John was very important to him. I can't wait to read how you develop that and expand into all the "might have beens" in BoD.
              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/alb...l_303_1061.JPG
                You guys are posting so fast I can't keep up, but I have to add something.

The last scene in The Intruder where even though they had spent 3 weeks together on the ship, he still couldn't stop looking at her even when Teyla was trying to brief them and compliment him on his promotion. I think he was sharing a sekrit moment with Elizabeth that said he knew it was all due to her. Awww.

And look how proud Teyla is of her big brother. Hee. And ignoring her whiny little brother, Rodney. Also hee.
                sigpic

Comment

Ha. He was such a great character in that. Did you hear the story about him watching it with his boys and 3 nephews? That must have been a hoot. And then the next day they all argued over who was going to be "Daddy" when they played Ferocious Planet. So cute.
                  Hahahahah! Boys' Night Out!

I could swear I read a fic some time ago where she helps him trim his beard off. And then I think there's smuttage.

Now you're feeding my smut muse. *hides*
                  Awww, don't hide! We like 'Nuna-written smut!

So true. Right from that moment, he was the military commander in his own mind. That's a job that all commanders have to do at some time or another--give that speech to loved ones of a lost soldier. It's a sad thing and John did an admirable job. Her belief in him must have added to his strength at that time.

Don't you just know for all those months in Antarctica, he had been unsure of himself and had plenty of time to develop the bad self image he had when he first came to Atlantis? But, thanks to Elizabeth and all the new friends he had made, all that was overcome. It took a while longer to be completely at home, but by the end of his time with the pansy wannabes, he was over all that insecurity. Thanks mostly to her.

Of course, we can't give all the credit to Elizabeth. I would even include Rodney as someone who had helped John. The comfortable teasing relationship coupled with the actuality of being friends to the bone was very important to John and must have filled a void that his bad relationship with his brother must have left. And you can include Ronon, Teyla, Carson and even Ford also as friends who made John realize his own worth. Teyla always had a way of making people feel important, and her gentle little sister relationship with John was very important to him. I can't wait to read how you develop that and expand into all the "might have beens" in BoD.
                  Wait a second. I thought Teyla was supposed to be the beleaguered older sister who's constantly annoyed by her crazy younger brothers John and Rodney always squabbling and she has to wade in and pull them apart by the scruffs of their necks. And of course, Ronon just stands there and laughs. Okay, occasionally he helps out and stuns John with his little ray gun.

No? Darn.
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

BoD is going to be awesome for both of them, but it's going to be predominantly from teyla's perspective - and I love, love, LOVE working on it. Teyla is so wonderful to write about. I think it's very important for her to see and realize how she was/is important to John, and why. I think that toward the end of the fic we're going to have really great moments with them to read about.

I think Teyla had a similar influence on John as Elizabeth did - not quite the same, because her position wasn't the same as Elizabeth's. I think she always saw him as an equal, always told him that he was supposed to be better and expected that from him, in her unique and mild manner. Teyla is very patient and when it comes to Earthlings, she has no prior knowledge about what they are/were like. She didn't know anything about John's black marks, and being from different culture, it didn't mean a lot to her. All she saw was someone who was willing to help, despite all circumstances. She quickly learned John's qualities and appreciated him from moment #1, and I think that's crucial.

Comment

Hahahahah! Boys' Night Out!

I could swear I read a fic some time ago where she helps him trim his beard off. And then I think there's smuttage.

Awww, don't hide! We like 'Nuna-written smut!

Wait a second. I thought Teyla was supposed to be the beleaguered older sister who's constantly annoyed by her crazy younger brothers John and Rodney always squabbling and she has to wade in and pull them apart by the scruffs of their necks. And of course, Ronon just stands there and laughs. Okay, occasionally he helps out and stuns John with his little ray gun.

No? Darn.
                      I remember that fic too. It was hot.

Teyla is certainly more mature than they are, that's for sure. LOL

BoD is going to be awesome for both of them, but it's going to be predominantly from teyla's perspective - and I love, love, LOVE working on it. Teyla is so wonderful to write about. I think it's very important for her to see and realize how she was/is important to John, and why. I think that toward the end of the fic we're going to have really great moments with them to read about.

I think Teyla had a similar influence on John as Elizabeth did - not quite the same, because her position wasn't the same as Elizabeth's. I think she always saw him as an equal, always told him that he was supposed to be better and expected that from him, in her unique and mild manner. Teyla is very patient and when it comes to Earthlings, she has no prior knowledge about what they are/were like. She didn't know anything about John's black marks, and being from different culture, it didn't mean a lot to her. All she saw was someone who was willing to help, despite all circumstances. She quickly learned John's qualities and appreciated him from moment #1, and I think that's crucial.
                      That's going to be so great to read. She must have never seen anyone in her culture like John, a leader yet so insecure. I remember how she spoke of Kanaan as having the potential to be a leader yet not realizing it, or something. She must have thought just the reverse of John, a leader in fact but modest about it and insecure in his personal feelings. I wish we could have seen more of their relationship. I guess the shippers made TPTB afraid to develop any of the male/female relationships. Such a shame.
                      sigpic

Comment

@JT -2 and Scary Kitty - you asked for Epiphany smut?

here you go.

Comment

It's a lot easier to write on the iPad with a stylus, let me tell you! Currently using the Pogo Sketch by Ten One Design. Cute, compact, and does the job well. We'll see how the tip holds up.

OMG, Mr. Darcy. Be still, my heart. Heehee!
                          The Tudors Nerd in me does not see John as Mr. Darcy. I see John as Thomas More and Elizabeth as his Katherine of Aragon. Yes I like More/KoA as a couple sue me. Anyway if you Sparkys like an explanation I will gladly give it to you.
                          BALCONIES
                          The Breeding Ground of Ships.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
                            The Tudors Nerd in me does not see John as Mr. Darcy. I see John as Thomas More and Elizabeth as his Katherine of Aragon. Yes I like More/KoA as a couple sue me. Anyway if you Sparkys like an explanation I will gladly give it to you.
                            Didn't that sick guy Henry-whatever have Katherine of Aragon executed, just like he had all of his wives? I'm really sorry, but I don't see the - uh- romantic point in here. I know, the Tudor dinasty is history, and history often isn't pretty and that we're supposed to learn something from it. As a grown woman I wouldn't want to be Katherine of Aragon or Anne Boleyin, and I doubt Elizabeth would enjoy such position either. I also don't see how John and Thomas Moore (who was also executed, right?) are anything alike. Anyway, public executions are not my cup of tea (personal thing, really), which is why I avoid shows like Tudors and I am really really sorry I ever watched "The other Boleyin girl" and caught one single glimpse of a movie about Elizabeth I (it just had to be the goriest torture scene ever). Ughh.

*shudder*

But, this is a Sparky thread so why don't we get back to the topic? I'm sure we have prettier things to talk about, yes?

Comment

@JT -2 and Scary Kitty - you asked for Epiphany smut?

here you go.
                              *blushes furiously* I forgot a 'Nuna story. I may have to hand in my Sparky badge. Hopefully, that's not one I was a beta for.

Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
                              I reread Pride and Prejudice not too long ago and John is very much like Mr. Darcy. He doesn't talk a lot. He disdains the expected social jumping through hoops that's expected of him at times. He loves deeply and is self sacrificing. He's generous and courtly. I could go on.

I don't see John and Elizabeth as More and Katherine but your love for the Tudors must have led you to study them in depth and you know much more about them. i can't see John as the "Utopia" sort considering his comments about the pansy wannabes in Epiphany.
                              sigpic

Comment

Didn't that sick guy Henry-whatever have katherine of Aragon executed, just like he had all of his wives? I'm really sorry, but I don't see the - uh- romantic point in here. I know, the Tudor dinasty is history, and history often isn't pretty and that we're supposed to learn something from it. If I were a woman I wouldn't want to be Katherine of Aragon or Anne Boleyin, and I doubt Elizabeth would enjoy such position either. I also don't see how John and Thomas Moore (who was also executed, right?) are anything alike. Anyway, public executions are not my cup of tea (personal thing, really), which is why I avoid shows like Tudors and I am really really sorry I ever watched "The other Boleyin girl" and caught one single glimpse of a movie about Elizabeth I (it just had to be the goriest torture scene ever). Ughh.

*shudder*

But, this is a Sparky thread so why don't we get back to the topic? I'm sure we have prettier things to talk about, yes?
                                KoA died of natural causes, Henry had Anne Boleyn and Kathryn Howard executed (someone said I should pair John with Kitty, wrong on so many levels), More was also executed which Henry later regretted.

Anyway let me rephase that what I meant to say Sparky reminds me of More/KoA as a couple not them individually( personally the only thing I see between More and John is that they have the ability to never give up while I see more Parelles between KoA and Lizzie in personality...John I feel is an atheisist and for some reason Elizabeth as Jewish *ducks from flying objects* not die had catholic like More and KoA). Also if you in the Tudors fandom you would know Tomkat was one of the top non cannon couples.

Back to keeping this on the Sparky topic:

In terms of chivalry More and John are alike. When KoA was disgraced by Henry, More did everything in his power to support her, even to the bitter end. There are MANY examples in SGA where John defended Elizabeth's honor (Misbegotten for example) and life (The Storm/The Eye). KoA relied on More's support as did Elizabeth depended on John. Finally in both fandoms the showshad both couples show latent signs of attraction.

I mean I would go further in comparisons but some of you haven't seen the show. But hopefully you get the concept of what I am trying to explain.
                                BALCONIES
                                The Breeding Ground of Ships.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X