Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoo Hoo!

Happy 109,000 Posts, Sparkies!

I'd post a picture, but Photobucket seems to be completely frakked up. It's defaulting to a mobile version and then diverting to some video?!?!? WTF?!?!?!?!

ETA: Nevermind, finally got in. WTF? Anyway...

Spoiler:

: We can put this champagne to good use!
    : Gee, I thought you had something else in mind for the champagne.
    : That's for later.
    : Oh god, that's like seeing my parents—
    : Rodney...
    : Shut up and let them enjoy it, McKay.
    (in today's episode, Colonel Caldwell will be played by the Hammond smiley): No comment.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Seeing as how I don't drink [alcohol], I might just end up in someone's arms... *lightbulb* ...I might just end up in someone's arms.
    Heeheehee!

And con-wise ... I'm thinking of making a T-shirt so that people who wish to get to know me don't need to go looking for that young woman with the curly hair with the... Nope, just look for the black T-shirt that says Falcon Horus on the back and Heightmeyer's Lemming on the front (or viceversa)...

Must spread the Kate-love... Lemming on a mission... oh dear...
    The Lemming is always on a mission!

Offering helpful advice:

Spoiler:
    Like SK I too have to say that jumping back and forth, and in between might seem more chaotic but it also throws off both reader and Teyla. Just when you think you have it all figured out, it changes again.

The one constant you mention, be that Kate or Janus, seems like a good idea. Something to guide Teyla through her jumps, someone she can turn to when she feels she needs counseling of sorts. It can also serve as a lifeline if you wish, a way out maybe.
    Agreed
    Spoiler:
    on the addition of a companion/guardian/guide. SR also mentioned the problems viewers had with a similar format in "The Daedalus Variations" and I think the addition of using a character as a guide of sorts for Teyla's journey would be the necessary touchstone to the "real" reality that TDV lacked.

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
    So I had a lot of free time during work today. I wrote 3 pages on one fic, and about 4 on another. Easily will be done and posted this weekend!!!
    Still slogging away on RtP2. Darnit.

Thank you and thank you! Seeing more stargate_ren fic totally made my day! I forgot how much of a jungle high school was ... My 2nd day and I almost wrote an office referral for one of the students who casually mentioned I might get hit by a flying eraser in art class. I don't think so. See where it says "STAFF" on my badge?

Aah. I am respected and slightly feared. Me likee. Don't worry -- it won't go to my head.
    *cackles* Ah, to be able to lord it over the plebes.

Sparky Mint Jar: Mommy! Daddy!
    OMG! LMAO! That is a classic! If I do get a photo op with the two of them and The Jar, I am SO turning it into a motivational poster! LOL!

Forget the carry-on bag ... buy it a ticket. LOL
    Hmm, true fax, dat.

One word: Dentures.

You know what else besides Sparky is pesky and impossible to kill?

Shameless fic writers who rec their own material.

Randomnimity is a crazy lil story I wrote after SK used the term here on the Forum. I really should give her part of the writing credit.

... Nah.

4 more posts ...
    *snorts*

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    I hope I wake up to find 109,000. Not much longer until the big one.
    We're here! *waves*
    Last edited by Scary Kitty; 26 April 2011, 07:01 PM.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

110000 *Thuds*
      BALCONIES
      The Breeding Ground of Ships.
      sigpic

Comment

Hola mi homies de sparky!!! Yes, I know I just mangled a Romance language, but eh. Figured I'd pop in and say howdy. Hmm... a con, where's it at. SR did try and get me to go to a Chicago one last year, but I couldn't make it. (Maybe if Miss Torri was there...) I haven't written anything in a while, but if someone of my fellow sparkies can get me a signed pic of Miss Torri I'd really appreciate it
        "I only understand about 1% of what she says half of the time."

Comment

PK! Que pasa, homie? *glomps*

Hey, there's still hope Torri could go to Chicago.
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Umm They should both come to NY for the NYCC
            BALCONIES
            The Breeding Ground of Ships.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
              Oooh, that might prompt a very fun conversation!

Agreed. One of the reasons why I'm hoping to get both Torri and Joe at the LAX con; I want to reunite them with The Sparky Mint Jar at a dual photo op. Just imagine how many hits that picture would get when it's posted!
              I think it would overload and shut down this site if you can get it.
              I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                I think it would overload and shut down this site if you can get it.
                Ah, but what a marvelous way for GW to go... WITH A SPARKY BANG!!!

Comment

Got a question on SGA that I need answered for Atlantis Rising: Have we ever heard any Pegasus Galaxy natives call members of the expedition "Lanteans" on the show? I know the term has been used in reference to the Ancients when they inhabited Atlantis; SyFy just reran "The Defiant One" last night, and the marooned Wraith used the term in exactly that way. But have the Earth-born people of the Atlantis expedition ever been called "Lanteans?" Even better if you can tell me specific episodes/scenes that I can refer to. Thanks!
                  As others have said, they've been called that before. It's my impression that it's mostly a Genii thing.

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                  Ooooo, small but important tidbit. I love that we're taking care of everything. Also, I am very thankful for you guys, and for your work on details like this. I suck at it! Gotta wonder how much red pen is going to go down on my first draft for "Box of dreams". Speaking of which, I may need some help with a plot point!

Spoiler warning! Major plot points revealed under the spoiler tags:

Spoiler:
                  As you know, I originally planned for Teyla to travel back in time, with an opportunity to change something in her past. As she tries changing events, she finds out that things unfold in a way she didn't want them to happen. Behind all this is the moral of the story of sorts - things go badly if she changes something that happened based on someone else's choice, i. e. Charin decided that it was time for her life to end. She didn't want medical assistance to prolong her life, and when Teyla made a choice for her, a different choice, it turned out that Charin only suffered more.

So here is what I'm thinking (and keep in mind that I'm not really experienced in writing time travel)

* should Teyla travel through time backwards (from "now" toward "past") or "forward" (aka I "throw" her somewhere in the past and let her go forward and reinvent her life - which would be harder to do, plot wise, I think). Or, should I let her skip back and forth? (that may be neat and interesting, besides the "box" she's trapped in is working based on Teyla's subconscious.)

* also, I planned for her to forget - the longer she's traveling, the more she's forgetting about her original life, and I'm not sure how much that particular plot device makes sense. The whole point is for her to understand that her life took particular shape, and turn out, based on choices she's made. Also, i want her to realize in her own mind that those were right choices for her. I don't want to throw into reader's faces something as blatant and IMO uninteresting as black and white judgement saying "this is the only thing she could/should have chosen". the point is how her choices make her feel and think. I'm wondering if I can do that if I'm going to let her forget more and more events from her "original" life.

However, if I don't 'use' partial amnesia, it would be hard to do certain parts of the fic, most importantly the one that's about John and her. At the moment i am in favor of random skipping time travel/partial amnesia plotline - I could let her go back and forth, things would get messed up, her feeling that something is wrong would grow accordingly to time progress, changes and her memory loss. I would use Kate heighteyer as a constant through all the AUs she's going through, someone her own mind picked to be her guide - and that's another thing "box" is progremmed for. (originally, this person is Janus, of course, because he made the box. It was one of his experiemnts. And by the end of the fic we are going to see Janus isnetad of Kate, but I must point out that Kate isn't there for nor eason).

Anyway... thoughts anyone? I could really really use discussion!
                  I agree with most of what has been said already

Spoiler:
                  The 'guide' is an excellent idea, it should help to temper any confusion for both Teyla and the reader. Plus he/she will be able to articulate to her that if she changes one thing, it has can end up with a huge (and unintended) effect on something else. The back and forth should help here too - cause and effect are more obviously illustrated in this manner
                  sigpic

Comment

DAYTIME!!! And thanks for making my wish come true.

109,000 Posts!

You think this is a celebration? Wait until we hit the next big goal. And FYI, we did the last 1000 in 30 days. With all the con excitement, we should be able to beat that easily. The sky's the limit people.
                    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Yep, that's precisely why I asked.

ZOMG, "The Pegasus Project," of course! Darnit, I knew I'd heard "Lanteans" rather than "Atlanteans" somewhere in an episode! Hah! *high-fives Eri* So, Atlanteans as the full name and Lanteans as a shortened slang term. Works for me!

I had even thought of "Earth-born" as a possible term to be used, and I think I still may put it in, to be used by those who don't think the expedition should be in Atlantis. (Yeah, Eri, you know which disgruntled people I'm talking about. Hee. )
                      "Earth Born" sounds a bit awkward to me. You could always use the tried and true Terrans. It's something the expedition members wuold be familiar with and since the word's from Latin it sounds Ancient.
                      DDC

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

DAYTIME!!! And thanks for making my wish come true.

109,000 Posts!

http://bestsmileys.com/party/5.gif

You think this is a celebration? Wait until we hit the next big goal. And FYI, we did the last 1000 in 30 days. With all the con excitement, we should be able to beat that easily. The sky's the limit people.
                        An excellent goal to set! C'mon, Sparkies, we can do it!

And don't forget to vote Sparky for Best Hug!

Originally posted by ddc View Post
                        "Earth Born" sounds a bit awkward to me. You could always use the tried and true Terrans. It's something the expedition members wuold be familiar with and since the word's from Latin it sounds Ancient.
                        That's a possibility, although they've never used "Terrans" when referring to themselves before, and when referring to our homeworld, they've always said "Earth" rather than "Terra." (The Ancients seem to be the only ones who used Terra, and even they flip-flopped between that and Earth) So I thought "Earth-born" made more sense as a term the Pegasus natives might invent in response, when referring to the people of Earth. Plus, "Terrans" has been used a lot in other works of science fiction, and I felt something a little different might be in order.

Comment

That's a possibility, although they've never used "Terrans" when referring to themselves before, and when referring to our homeworld, they've always said "Earth" rather than "Terra." (The Ancients seem to be the only ones who used Terra, and even they flip-flopped between that and Earth) So I thought "Earth-born" made more sense as a term the Pegasus natives might invent in response, when referring to the people of Earth. Plus, "Terrans" has been used a lot in other works of science fiction, and I felt something a little different might be in order.
                          Just so we don't call them Tau'ri or have anyone else call them Tau'ri, I think we're safe.
                          sigpic

Comment

Congrats on 109,000!

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                            Ooooo, small but important tidbit. I love that we're taking care of everything. Also, I am very thankful for you guys, and for your work on details like this. I suck at it! Gotta wonder how much red pen is going to go down on my first draft for "Box of dreams". Speaking of which, I may need some help with a plot point!

Spoiler warning! Major plot points revealed under the spoiler tags:

Spoiler:
                            As you know, I originally planned for Teyla to travel back in time, with an opportunity to change something in her past. As she tries changing events, she finds out that things unfold in a way she didn't want them to happen. Behind all this is the moral of the story of sorts - things go badly if she changes something that happened based on someone else's choice, i. e. Charin decided that it was time for her life to end. She didn't want medical assistance to prolong her life, and when Teyla made a choice for her, a different choice, it turned out that Charin only suffered more.

So here is what I'm thinking (and keep in mind that I'm not really experienced in writing time travel)

* should Teyla travel through time backwards (from "now" toward "past") or "forward" (aka I "throw" her somewhere in the past and let her go forward and reinvent her life - which would be harder to do, plot wise, I think). Or, should I let her skip back and forth? (that may be neat and interesting, besides the "box" she's trapped in is working based on Teyla's subconscious.)

* also, I planned for her to forget - the longer she's traveling, the more she's forgetting about her original life, and I'm not sure how much that particular plot device makes sense. The whole point is for her to understand that her life took particular shape, and turn out, based on choices she's made. Also, i want her to realize in her own mind that those were right choices for her. I don't want to throw into reader's faces something as blatant and IMO uninteresting as black and white judgement saying "this is the only thing she could/should have chosen". the point is how her choices make her feel and think. I'm wondering if I can do that if I'm going to let her forget more and more events from her "original" life.

However, if I don't 'use' partial amnesia, it would be hard to do certain parts of the fic, most importantly the one that's about John and her. At the moment i am in favor of random skipping time travel/partial amnesia plotline - I could let her go back and forth, things would get messed up, her feeling that something is wrong would grow accordingly to time progress, changes and her memory loss. I would use Kate heighteyer as a constant through all the AUs she's going through, someone her own mind picked to be her guide - and that's another thing "box" is progremmed for. (originally, this person is Janus, of course, because he made the box. It was one of his experiemnts. And by the end of the fic we are going to see Janus isnetad of Kate, but I must point out that Kate isn't there for nor eason).

Anyway... thoughts anyone? I could really really use discussion!
                            I LOVE THIS! *flails*

Spoiler:
                            The idea of the Guide is SO COOL. Especially that it's Kate! Man, I'd have given anything to see an episode like that! And then it's because it was Janus's machine so we get to see him too...wicked awesome!!! *flaility flail flail*

As far as as the backwards/forwards thing, I agree, that would be cool so long as it's explained clearly, which I think you can do with a written work.

As far as the amnesia--I am a little more questioning of that idea--what exactly is she going to forget and what will she remember? I'm afraid that with all the time jumping plus the reality/alt reality developments that what she forgets and remembers might get confusing. I'm sure you'll have a better idea when you start writing as far as what you can do with it. Are you seeing things like Torren start to unravel and her having to fight to keep him? or will he disappear/reappear/disappear in all her new realities?

I'm curious--and excited--to see how this goes!

I almost think that 'Lantean' would be best, because I don't think the Expedition members go around publicizing they're from Earth. Didn't they typically identify themselves as from Atlantis? I don't remember them often referring to Earth.

Plus, given the way that names are given to races of planets, wouldn't it make sense that if they did identify their home as Earth, that other races might add an 'an' or 'er' to the end of a planet rather than '-born'? Like, call them Earthans? That's not something we use, but if we're trying to make an objective presumption of how other races might identify another from a named planet, would that be the logical choice?

Many of the races seems to go that way (Satedans, Athosians, Hoffans, Minerians, Olesians, etc). Might be fun to play with it.
                            Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Just so we don't call them Tau'ri or have anyone else call them Tau'ri, I think we're safe.
                              Gah! That's one of my biggest pet peeves for Atlantis fanfic. It's a term used by the Goa'uld and Jaffa; Pegasus natives wouldn't even know the word! I swear, every time I see Teyla or Ronon or someone else from Pegasus calling the Earth people Tau'ri in a piece of fanfic, I want to reach into the computer screen and smack the author for being a clueless git. *headdesk*

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                              I almost think that 'Lantean' would be best, because I don't think the Expedition members go around publicizing they're from Earth. Didn't they typically identify themselves as from Atlantis? I don't remember them often referring to Earth.

Plus, given the way that names are given to races of planets, wouldn't it make sense that if they did identify their home as Earth, that other races might add an 'an' or 'er' to the end of a planet rather than '-born'? Like, call them Earthans? That's not something we use, but if we're trying to make an objective presumption of how other races might identify another from a named planet, would that be the logical choice?

Many of the races seems to go that way (Satedans, Athosians, Hoffans, Minerians, Olesians, etc). Might be fun to play with it.
                              All very true. "Earthans" does have a ring to it, doesn't it? Heehee! But yeah, I think it's probably best to just stick with Atlanteans/Lanteans. Less insanity-inducing, that way.

Comment

Gah! That's one of my biggest pet peeves for Atlantis fanfic. It's a term used by the Goa'uld and Jaffa; Pegasus natives wouldn't even know the word! I swear, every time I see Teyla or Ronon or someone else from Pegasus calling the Earth people Tau'ri in a piece of fanfic, I want to reach into the computer screen and smack the author for being a clueless git. *headdesk*
                                Evidently clueless extends to book authors also. LOL

All very true. "Earthans" does have a ring to it, doesn't it? Heehee! But yeah, I think it's probably best to just stick with Atlanteans/Lanteans. Less insanity-inducing, that way.
                                Plus they went out of their way to conceal Earth from the Wraith, so they wouldn't go around announcing where they were from.

Back to working on "To Build A Fire". I got some more excellent help from Mr. SR who shared some things from his Marine Corps survival training that I'm going to use with Ronon and Carson.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X