Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Excellent, thank you! I checked the transcript, and it's "Atlanteans." In fact, I went back to the transcript for "The Defiant One" as well, and it also says "Atlanteans." Hmm, okay, maybe the Wraith's teeth slurred the word a bit.
    I think, though, that it's up for interpretation. Hearing Sora in my head, I don't think she clearly enunciates it as Atlanteans, so I bet you can short term it if you want.

In the wiki, the Lanteans were: "The Ancients who originally inhabited the city of Atlantis. The name is likely an abbreviation of "Atlanteans," and may be Pegasus Galaxy slang. The term is used by the Wraith, among others." And apparently Morgana Le Fay refers to herself and the others of Atlantis as "Lanteans".

So I think you're safe having anyone from PG refer to the new generation as Lanteans if you want. You won't be in true violation of canon.
    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Excellent, thank you! I checked the transcript, and it's "Atlanteans." In fact, I went back to the transcript for "The Defiant One" as well, and it also says "Atlanteans." Hmm, okay, maybe the Wraith's teeth slurred the word a bit.
      Ooooo, small but important tidbit. I love that we're taking care of everything. Also, I am very thankful for you guys, and for your work on details like this. I suck at it! Gotta wonder how much red pen is going to go down on my first draft for "Box of dreams". Speaking of which, I may need some help with a plot point!

Spoiler warning! Major plot points revealed under the spoiler tags:

Spoiler:
      As you know, I originally planned for Teyla to travel back in time, with an opportunity to change something in her past. As she tries changing events, she finds out that things unfold in a way she didn't want them to happen. Behind all this is the moral of the story of sorts - things go badly if she changes something that happened based on someone else's choice, i. e. Charin decided that it was time for her life to end. She didn't want medical assistance to prolong her life, and when Teyla made a choice for her, a different choice, it turned out that Charin only suffered more.

So here is what I'm thinking (and keep in mind that I'm not really experienced in writing time travel)

* should Teyla travel through time backwards (from "now" toward "past") or "forward" (aka I "throw" her somewhere in the past and let her go forward and reinvent her life - which would be harder to do, plot wise, I think). Or, should I let her skip back and forth? (that may be neat and interesting, besides the "box" she's trapped in is working based on Teyla's subconscious.)

* also, I planned for her to forget - the longer she's traveling, the more she's forgetting about her original life, and I'm not sure how much that particular plot device makes sense. The whole point is for her to understand that her life took particular shape, and turn out, based on choices she's made. Also, i want her to realize in her own mind that those were right choices for her. I don't want to throw into reader's faces something as blatant and IMO uninteresting as black and white judgement saying "this is the only thing she could/should have chosen". the point is how her choices make her feel and think. I'm wondering if I can do that if I'm going to let her forget more and more events from her "original" life.

However, if I don't 'use' partial amnesia, it would be hard to do certain parts of the fic, most importantly the one that's about John and her. At the moment i am in favor of random skipping time travel/partial amnesia plotline - I could let her go back and forth, things would get messed up, her feeling that something is wrong would grow accordingly to time progress, changes and her memory loss. I would use Kate heighteyer as a constant through all the AUs she's going through, someone her own mind picked to be her guide - and that's another thing "box" is progremmed for. (originally, this person is Janus, of course, because he made the box. It was one of his experiemnts. And by the end of the fic we are going to see Janus isnetad of Kate, but I must point out that Kate isn't there for nor eason).

Anyway... thoughts anyone? I could really really use discussion!
      I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Aaaand good night sparkies! See you tomorrow!
        I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
          I think, though, that it's up for interpretation. Hearing Sora in my head, I don't think she clearly enunciates it as Atlanteans, so I bet you can short term it if you want.

In the wiki, the Lanteans were: "The Ancients who originally inhabited the city of Atlantis. The name is likely an abbreviation of "Atlanteans," and may be Pegasus Galaxy slang. The term is used by the Wraith, among others." And apparently Morgana Le Fay refers to herself and the others of Atlantis as "Lanteans".

So I think you're safe having anyone from PG refer to the new generation as Lanteans if you want. You won't be in true violation of canon.
          Yep, that's precisely why I asked.

ZOMG, "The Pegasus Project," of course! Darnit, I knew I'd heard "Lanteans" rather than "Atlanteans" somewhere in an episode! Hah! *high-fives Eri* So, Atlanteans as the full name and Lanteans as a shortened slang term. Works for me!

I had even thought of "Earth-born" as a possible term to be used, and I think I still may put it in, to be used by those who don't think the expedition should be in Atlantis. (Yeah, Eri, you know which disgruntled people I'm talking about. Hee. )

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
          Ooooo, small but important tidbit. I love that we're taking care of everything. Also, I am very thankful for you guys, and for your work on details like this. I suck at it! Gotta wonder how much red pen is going to go down on my first draft for "Box of dreams". Speaking of which, I may need some help with a plot point!

Spoiler:
          As you know, I originally planned for Teyla to travel back in time, with an opportunity to change something in her past. As she tries changing events, she finds out that things unfold in a way she didn't want them to happen. Behind all this is the moral of the story of sorts - things go badly if she changes something that happened based on someone else's choice, i. e. Charin decided that it was time for her life to end. She didn't want medical assistance to prolong her life, and when Teyla made a choice for her, a different choice, it turned out that Charin only suffered more.

So here is what I'm thinking (and keep in mind that I'm not really experienced in writing time travel)

* should Teyla travel through time backwards (from "now" toward "past") or "forward" (aka I "throw" her somewhere in the past and let her go forward and reinvent her life - which would be harder to do, plot wise, I think). Or, should I let her skip back and forth? (that may be neat and interesting, besides the "box" she's trapped in is working based on Teyla's subconscious.)

* also, I planned for her to forget - the longer she's traveling, the more she's forgetting about her original life, and I'm not sure how much that particular plot device makes sense. The whole point is for her to understand that her life took particular shape, and turn out, based on choices she's made. Also, i want her to realize in her own mind that those were right choices for her. I don't want to throw into reader's faces something as blatant and IMO uninteresting as black and white judgement saying "this is the only thing she could/should have chosen". the point is how her choices make her feel and think. I'm wondering if I can do that if I'm going to let her forget more and more events from her "original" life.

However, if I don't 'use' partial amnesia, it would be hard to do certain parts of the fic, most importantly the one that's about John and her. At the moment i am in favor of random skipping time travel/partial amnesia plotline - I could let her go back and forth, things would get messed up, her feeling that something is wrong would grow accordingly to time progress, changes and her memory loss. I would use Kate heighteyer as a constant through all the AUs she's going through, someone her own mind picked to be her guide - and that's another thing "box" is progremmed for. (originally, this person is Janus, of course, because he made the box. It was one of his experiemnts. And by the end of the fic we are going to see Janus isnetad of Kate, but I must point out that Kate isn't there for nor eason).

I love it!
          Spoiler:
          I think the random time jumping/partial amnesia & feeling something is "wrong" is the right way to go. It'll help to keep Teyla, and thus the audience, off balance as the story proceeds, and hopefully allow the audience to come to the same realizations that Teyla will need to come to in order to free herself from the box. As for the potential difficulty in how Teyla can reach that realization if her memories are gone, perhaps with each altered reality she encounters, she gets another piece of her memory back, until finally she can step back and say, 'no, the reality that I have been living (the canon timeline) is the true reality, it's the best my life can be, and I'm satisfied with that.' Or something like that. What do you think?

Anyway, nighty-night and pleasant Sparky dreams, Anuna!
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Just popping in to say you guys are only a few posts away from another round figure! Go Sparkies, go!

Comment

Omfg another 1k again? Her Majesty The Lady Approves of this
              BALCONIES
              The Breeding Ground of Ships.
              sigpic

Comment

Have a drink beforehand? Or two?
                Seeing as how I don't drink [alcohol], I might just end up in someone's arms... *lightbulb* ...I might just end up in someone's arms.

I am one of those people who sadly won't be able to go to the con. However I'd be endlessly thankful (and offer fic writing in return) to someone who'd be so kind to get me a sparky pic signed. Please? With chocolate sparky on top? It would really mean so much to me!
                I could do that for you.

And con-wise ... I'm thinking of making a T-shirt so that people who wish to get to know me don't need to go looking for that young woman with the curly hair with the... Nope, just look for the black T-shirt that says Falcon Horus on the back and Heightmeyer's Lemming on the front (or viceversa)...

Must spread the Kate-love... Lemming on a mission... oh dear...

..."Box of dreams". Speaking of which, I may need some help with a plot point!

[snip]

Offering helpful advice:

Spoiler:
                Like SK I too have to say that jumping back and forth, and in between might seem more chaotic but it also throws off both reader and Teyla. Just when you think you have it all figured out, it changes again.

The one constant you mention, be that Kate or Janus, seems like a good idea. Something to guide Teyla through her jumps, someone she can turn to when she feels she needs counseling of sorts. It can also serve as a lifeline if you wish, a way out maybe.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

So I had a lot of free time during work today. I wrote 3 pages on one fic, and about 4 on another. Easily will be done and posted this weekend!!!

Good to hear the first day went well!

And another little treat for those following Stargate!Ren: Part 3 of With Fire and Sword is now online.
                  Thank you and thank you! Seeing more stargate_ren fic totally made my day! I forgot how much of a jungle high school was ... My 2nd day and I almost wrote an office referral for one of the students who casually mentioned I might get hit by a flying eraser in art class. I don't think so. See where it says "STAFF" on my badge?

Aah. I am respected and slightly feared. Me likee. Don't worry -- it won't go to my head.

Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
                  We can use John's shades for the shape!
                  3D or 4D aviator glasses??? That'd be so awesome!!!

Agreed. One of the reasons why I'm hoping to get both Torri and Joe at the LAX con; I want to reunite them with The Sparky Mint Jar at a dual photo op. Just imagine how many hits that picture would get when it's posted!
                  Sparky Mint Jar: Mommy! Daddy!

Yeah, even if I was going to France (which I won't be able to for various reasons), there's no way I'd risk The Jar on a plane trip. It'd have to have a carry-on bag of it's own!
                  Forget the carry-on bag ... buy it a ticket. LOL

One word: Dentures.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
                  I like the random jumping as well, forwards and backwards. Going backwards, she can inadvertantly make changes and maybe jump forward to see how they turned out, or even jump forward from the place she is ACTUALLY from, to see how things might turn out. As the Doctor puts it, "Wibbly wobbly timey wimey." You can do anything you want and get away with it.

Definitely looking forward to it, not enough Teyla-centered eppys as it was!

Only 6 more posts till we hit 109,000!!!

Make 'em count!

Comment

In honor of achieving another post count high (a little early) .....

Spoiler:

J - Are you kidding me?
                    E - Yep, our little Sparkies are a prolific group. Pesky and impossible to kill!

J - Just like us!

sigpic
                    Signature by Erin87

Comment

You know what else besides Sparky is pesky and impossible to kill?

Shameless fic writers who rec their own material.

Randomnimity is a crazy lil story I wrote after SK used the term here on the Forum. I really should give her part of the writing credit.

... Nah.

4 more posts ...
                      Last edited by ShipperWriter; 26 April 2011, 05:01 PM. Reason: I can't count. D'oh!

Comment

Spoiler:

My thoughts.
                        Spoiler:
                        I'll go along with the others as liking the random jumping. However, a note of caution. The most common complaint about Daedalus Variations and TR was the randomness and that some viewers had trouble keeping up. That won't be as likely to happen in print I think and with the added addition of a guide will help ground the reader. You must at all times be able to tell what just happened and where/when Teyla is.

I hope I wake up to find 109,000. Not much longer until the big one.
                        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

*Doing her part to help make SR's wish come true.....

Spoiler:

sigpic
                          Signature by Erin87

Comment

I like the last poster SMB
                            BALCONIES
                            sigpic

Comment

Okay, I'm gonnna do it.

109,000 POSTS!!! WHOOT WHOOT!!! SPARKY FOR THE WIN!!!

Now just another 1,000 till we hit 110,000.

Ugh, now I gotta hit the hay. Night!

Comment

Damn it I didn't win this time SW congratulations as reward, as Queen of The Order of The White Gag you are officially inducted.
                                BALCONIES
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X