Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Point A
    Teyla was used as a plotdevice in The Queen, a convenient means to Todd's end. But beyond that it wasn't a bad episode. I kinda liked it... I think. ... On second thought apparently I didn't really...

My review at the time of airing or there about:

Point B
    But to answer your question, as a Teyla-fan I was disappointed in the execution of the plot. They could have gone so much deeper with it than what they did. The psychological consequences of what Teyla did to transform herself into a Wraith queen. That has to have lasting effects. I mean, just look at the end where she stares at her hand. Yet we never hear from it again... that was such an unbelievable shame.

What did Todd get out of the deal?
    Todd got a Queen out of it, even though that queen is in fact Teyla. And a hive... he got that too.

What do you think it brought to her character, what lasting effects did you see on her from it?

The following takes place between.... ...doesn't take place during the episode and is pure fan speculation, in particular this fan:

I think it showed us that Teyla is willing to go to great lengths to learn as much about the Wraith as possible, as long as they can use it against them in battle. We saw how she, using the disquise of the Queen, managed to destroy those battle drones as they flew between hives and were killed in battle. Todd saw it for it was, revenge on Teyla's behalf. The other Wraith's just saw her sacrificing a great deal of drones in order to gain the upper hand.

However, she doesn't go over one night's ice in making the decision to transform into a Queen. She weighs the pro's and con's. And once transformed she isn't afraid to tell Todd his place in the ranks. And it does require some pushing coercing from her team mates to actually go through with it. It's for the team, for the expedition, the greater good. She puts the group in front of the individual right there.

I do believe there should have been more fall-out from the transformation than the just the strange look she gives her (feeding-)hand at the end of the episode. This would have been a perfect time to dig deeper into Teyla's psyche and see what scars were left (of course, Kate would have been a great addition but they unfortunately killed her a couple episodes before The Queen - OOPS!).

I don't know if I'm making much sense, but what I do know for sure is that The Queen had a lot of potential in terms of Teyla's development as a character, and they completely and utterly missed the ball... shame, shame, shame!
    Perfect, THANK YOU! This helps a ton. Thanks for taking the time.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    That's a good girl.
    Boo. Hiss.
    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
      Perfect, THANK YOU! This helps a ton. Thanks for taking the time.
      You're welcome - you know where to find me if you need more (canon) info.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Hello fellow Sparkies!

I was bored, so I went looking through some old pages of the thread and found this:

This sparked (heh) a memory and I looked it up. In the Stargate magazine issue #15, Mar/Apr 2007 they asked JF this: Sheppard's got a central role in terms of his friendships within the Atlantis team, but are we going to see any possible love interests introduced? and he replied: I think if the love interests are shown through the plot it's great, but when you have a love interest that's just specifically a love interest, I don't buy that and I try to avoid it in this show. I think that if you're going to do a love story, it's far more interesting to have friction between two people who like each other rather than it is watching them be in love. Watching two people be in love is such a saccharine experience you want to shoot them right before you shoot yourself. People make that mistake often in entertainment. I want to see them try to be in love, that's more interesting. Overcoming the obstacles to be in love-that is actually more true to life than this strange euphoric state of love all the time. I'm not a cynic, I swear!

I mean, a classic example is in The Remains of the Day. There's that scene with Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson and they're fighting over a book, but it was sort of sexually charged, right? You could have a sex scene, that would be the traditional angle to go down for a scene, right, but the truth is, that was a more sexual scene than most scenes anywhere else and it is largely to do with the fact that it's not expressed, it is not said and consequently it keeps things in the world of desire.

He also said sometimes he reads a script and it makes his blood boil because he knows his character wouldn't do or say that and he marches right up and complains. LOL No wonder JM thinks he's a pain in the butt. Oh and I guess this disproves what JM said on the commentary about JF not reading the script.

Now first of all, the man talks like a professor. And second of all that sounds remarkably like what he said about his boss, doesn't it. Hmmm? I took from the question that they don't consider any member of his team as a love interest. Hmmm again.
        JF talked about one of my all time favorite movies, Remains of the Day! (I'm thinking I need to watch that tonight.) I didn't think my celebrity crush could get worse, but it just did. Oh, Joe, you are so awesome.

Comment

I just watched Despicable Me (Tangled yesterday) ... and it was the cutest thing ever!
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
            Hello fellow Sparkies!

I was bored, so I went looking through some old pages of the thread and found this:

JF talked about one of my all time favorite movies, Remains of the Day! (I'm thinking I need to watch that tonight.) I didn't think my celebrity crush could get worse, but it just did. Oh, Joe, you are so awesome.
            I'm telling you, there's something about this man that just makes you go all gooey. Both of them, Joe and John, for entirely different reasons.

And I have to give myself a big ditto for my assessment of what he said. I still agree with myself. After all, how many times did we see John and Elizabeth arguing over nothing? Yet you could cut the sexual tension with a knife. And that is why I think the Sparky ship is so huge.
            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I'm telling you, there's something about this man that just makes you go all gooey. Both of them, Joe and John, for entirely different reasons.

And I have to give myself a big ditto for my assessment of what he said. I still agree with myself. After all, how many times did we see John and Elizabeth arguing over nothing? Yet you could cut the sexual tension with a knife. And that is why I think the Sparky ship is so huge.
              A mere knife? Feh. I'd think we'd need atomic-powered lasers to cut through John and Elizabeth's sexual tension.

Lasers, I tell you!
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I just watched Despicable Me (Tangled yesterday) ... and it was the cutest thing ever!
                I'll have to add those to my Netflix queue. A friend of mine with young sons told me her sons actually loved Tangled, which surprised both of us because we assumed it was a "girl" movie.

YES! I totally agree with Joe about that scene from The Remains of the Day. It was sooo sexually charged, but it was all understated. They didn't need the woman to be strutting around in sexy leather get-up, beating the man up while saying a bunch of innuendo (I'm talking Larrin here, and yes I know I'm completely hypocritical because I liked Vala). And yes, Sparky has a lot of that same type of tension. Like Joe said, that Moonlighting style tension where you have a job to do so you have to put your feelings aside. :::sigh::: Oh, Joe. TPTW should have listened to him more. He's very intelligent about it all. (and intelligence is sexy!)

Oh, one of the final scenes in The Remains of the Day (final one at the bus stop) is so similar to the end of GitM for me. Same theme. Won't say more - don't want to spoil the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it. Both make me cry like a baby which is why I'd never watch either with someone else in the room.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                A mere knife? Feh. I'd think we'd need atomic-powered lasers to cut through John and Elizabeth's sexual tension.

Lasers, I tell you!
                I can't take the tension anymore! Just go to a closet, already!

Comment

I think they are already in the closet
                  BALCONIES
                  The Breeding Ground of Ships.
                  sigpic

Comment

i always thought they did it in the transporter

Comment

So I got my physical, drug testing, and fingerprinting accomplished in under two hours! Go, me! *pats self on back and eats more chocolate*

Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
                      OT SW this reminded me of you

Spoiler:
                      Awesome, LadyMore!!! Thanks!

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                      *heavy breathing* Join the Red Side... We have cookies. *more heavy breathing*
                      And chocolate. And red velvet cake. And Chipotle. Good lord, Chipotle really should pay us for the amount of advertising we do for them.

I wonder, too. I think he mentioned at one of his con appearances that the Malibu property is 14 acres? (or something like that?) You can do a lot with that kind of space.
                      Like, gee, I don't know, reconstruct the Atlantis sets in a Quonset hut.

... Just tossin' out ideas there.

Ack! Set that alarm clock early!
                      I did! And I actually got up on time!

I love both those movies! I always like movies that have a lot of quotable lines, and between me and a couple of my best friends, we can pretty much recite "Despicable Me" in its entirety. LOL. And I loved Zachary Levi in "Tangled" because I watch him on "Chuck", but he's so contrary in his role in "Tangled". AND he sings. OMG. *flails* He's got an awesome voice too!!!

... All right, I know. Enough OT babbling.

*mind flashes with an AU fic based on "Chuck" featuring Sparky and slowly adds it to the list to write*

A'right. Lurking while doing a few errands online.

Comment

Darth Sparky? I thought Sparky would be on the good side of the force?
                        Sparky is the light side but it was a Vader line that was quoted. I couldn't help myself, sorry.
                        I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

LOL! Ok, I suppose I should have assumed fellow scifi fans would recognize that quote.
                          Very true and with my memory, I tend to run the lines while watching the orginal trilogy just to annoy people.
                          I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

I'll have to add those to my Netflix queue. A friend of mine with young sons told me her sons actually loved Tangled, which surprised both of us because we assumed it was a "girl" movie.
                            Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                            I love both those movies! I always like movies that have a lot of quotable lines, and between me and a couple of my best friends, we can pretty much recite "Despicable Me" in its entirety. LOL. And I loved Zachary Levi in "Tangled" because I watch him on "Chuck", but he's so contrary in his role in "Tangled". AND he sings. OMG. *flails* He's got an awesome voice too!!!

... All right, I know. Enough OT babbling.

*mind flashes with an AU fic based on "Chuck" featuring Sparky and slowly adds it to the list to write*

A'right. Lurking while doing a few errands online.
                            Had to drop in for this.

TANGLED IS THE BEST MOVIE EVAR!!!! Seriously, it's become one of my favorites now, and not just Disney movies, movies period. I saw it three times before it came out on DVD (why must I be in college and so far away from my copy!) and each time it just left me feeling insanely happy and giddy. That movie is just love. *hearts it*

Ahem. Anyways...

SPARKY RULES!!!
                            sigpic
                            Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

I think they are already in the closet
                              Was it just me or did anyone else who saw Ferocious Planet scream "storage closet" during that first scene? Just sayin'. And it looked like he lived in there....or something. I mean he did have to button his shirt. Almost like he had not been completely dressed a while ago...just babbling. Nothing to see here. If you haven't seen it.

Spoiler:
                              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

YES! I totally agree with Joe about that scene from The Remains of the Day. It was sooo sexually charged, but it was all understated. They didn't need the woman to be strutting around in sexy leather get-up, beating the man up while saying a bunch of innuendo (I'm talking Larrin here, and yes I know I'm completely hypocritical because I liked Vala). And yes, Sparky has a lot of that same type of tension. Like Joe said, that Moonlighting style tension where you have a job to do so you have to put your feelings aside. :::sigh::: Oh, Joe. TPTW should have listened to him more. He's very intelligent about it all. (and intelligence is sexy!)

Oh, one of the final scenes in The Remains of the Day (final one at the bus stop) is so similar to the end of GitM for me. Same theme. Won't say more - don't want to spoil the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it. Both make me cry like a baby which is why I'd never watch either with someone else in the room.

I can't take the tension anymore! Just go to a closet, already!
                                I was roped into watching Tangled by my seven-year-old nephew. I admit to looking at him a little weird when he mentioned it because it seemed like such a 'girly' movie and he's not a fan of stuff like Beauty and the Beast, etc. But he loved Flynn and the horse and after watching it, I found it wasn't really girly at all, though it had some great romantic moments. I totally loved it and am going to buy it this weekend.

Of course, I loved Flynn best too, but for completely different reasons.

Oh, Remains of the Day! That and Howard's End completely endeared Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson to me. Reserved British people...*sigh*.

I love it when stars show they are literate--go Joe!

I'm seeing a lot of people mention sexual tension, and this makes me curious--what scenes are you specifically thinking of? Because other than Hot Zone and these pretty moments from First Strike:

Spoiler:

I don't really see it in the traditional sense of the Moonlighting litmus test. For me, they synced so well that they just fit and their banter definitely displayed an unmatched chemistry. But unlike, say, Castle, where the duo are friends and yet the tension appears in those moments when one or the other is romantically involved with someone else or they talk about what they mean to each other, I never really saw that with Sparky. Even something like this scene, which came close, wasn't necessarily tense to me, just playful and full of sparks:

So--I'm totally curious. Since I don't see it, what do you see? I'd love to know what people consider sexually tense moments. And how do you define sexual tension?
                                Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Working...
                                X