Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's also back on Twitter. \0/
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      I was so excited to see his tweet on my phone!!!!
      BALCONIES
      The Breeding Ground of Ships.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
        I was so excited to see his tweet on my phone!!!!
        I hope he stays with us this time. He was in Aspen. Little ski trip I guess. Can't wait for Ferocious Planet. I loved his description of his character.
        sigpic

Comment

I hope he stays with us this time. He was in Aspen. Little ski trip I guess. Can't wait for Ferocious Planet. I loved his description of his character.
          I am less wary about his performance in this movie than in CoP. I like Joe playing complex characters like Colonel Sheppard (should have won some award for playing him) and when he explained about his character in the interview as someone who got in trouble I definitely got the Colonel Sheppard vibe!
          BALCONIES
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ddc View Post
            It's not the dirt or whatever buries the Gate, it's the fact that it is buried. Remember, the Milky Way Gates have a ring that moves to "engage" symbols when dialing in or out. The weight of the dirt/rocks/coverstone keeps the ring from moving, so there's no "Chevron...Engaged" and therefore no wormhole. In 100 Days Sam did some breaking the laws of physics to get the wormhole to open even with the Gate buried. In episodes where the SGC closes the iris and enemies or bombs go splat, the connection was made, the iris just prevents whatever's coming through from rematerializing.
            The definitive answer, from GW's archives:

A wormhole may still be established with a remote Stargate as long as the ring itself is not filled with matter. Buried Stargates are no longer accessible ("Children of the Gods," "The Nox"). If the event horizon is covered, as occured in this episode, a wormhole may still be established, though the wormhole vortex will be hindered from spiraling out, and any matter coming through the gate will be prevented from reintegrating
            So no, an iris won't disintegrate during the kawoosh, and the way to stop a galactic villian is with loosely packed dirt. Part of that article went on to say pretty much the same as you did - as long as it can turn, it will activate. So then, presumably, if there are two gates, to kill one you i) bury it, ii) change it's address or iii) weld the turning bit

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
            Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Then how come I've seen scenes where the iris/shield is closed before the kawoosh and wormhole is established?
            I've never seen one (that I can remember) with the shield raised, and the one that springs to mind with the iris shut is during TLC. Why wouldn't they always have the iris closed, even while the gate is inactive? It's a massive security gaffe - if I were an enemy, I'd take the chance of lobbing a bomb through, or a massive EM pulse immediately after the wormhole was established.

I bet in those scenes you mentioned it was established in the plot first that the dialer was sending a text message or video communication - usually in those ones you see them having a group snuggle around a video screen in the control room, talking to someone off-world, with a shot of the gate with the iris closed in the background
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
              Dare I ask what he/she sings?
              A variety of stuff some of it is good but some is annoying love her though she's the Elizabeth to my John

No really she is we took a SGA personality test and I got John and she got Elizabeth..true story.

Originally posted by DocWhoGater View Post
              Hi all! I'm pretty new to GateWorld and I cant believe that I took this long to find this! And sugar!! I'm getting slow!!
              Welcome fair Sparkyites!

I agree! I cant work in silence. My Mum thinks I'm strange....
              Doesn't it drive you nuts? And BTW mum thinks I am strange too...for other reasons....
              BALCONIES
              sigpic

Comment

Yay! I hope he sticks around too. T'would be nice to hear from him more frequently.

So no, an iris won't disintegrate during the kawoosh, and the way to stop a galactic villian is with loosely packed dirt. Part of that article went on to say pretty much the same as you did - as long as it can turn, it will activate. So then, presumably, if there are two gates, to kill one you i) bury it, ii) change it's address or iii) weld the turning bit
                Bingo.

I've never seen one (that I can remember) with the shield raised, and the one that springs to mind with the iris shut is during TLC. Why wouldn't they always have the iris closed, even while the gate is inactive? It's a massive security gaffe - if I were an enemy, I'd take the chance of lobbing a bomb through, or a massive EM pulse immediately after the wormhole was established.

I bet in those scenes you mentioned it was established in the plot first that the dialer was sending a text message or video communication - usually in those ones you see them having a group snuggle around a video screen in the control room, talking to someone off-world, with a shot of the gate with the iris closed in the background
                No, I could swear that I remember seeing an episode of SG-1 in which the Earth gate was being dialed into, and they closed the iris while the inner ring was still turning and chevrons were still locking, so the wormhole hadn't even been established yet. And I'm pretty sure I've seen them activate the shield on the Atlantis gate before the other gate had finished dialing in, as well. I think the kawoosh still happened on the Atlantis gate, though; maybe since the shield is energy, it allows the energy of the initial kawoosh through and the shield forms as the kawoosh retracts? Hey, the Pegasus gates are supposed to be more advanced than the Milky Way gates, so for all we know, it's part of an upgrade that the Ancients built in. *shrugs*
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Whoa, work hurt my brain today. Please keep that in mind if my responses don't make sense.

*screams in frustration*

I. Hate. Writer's. Block.
                  **Kicks muse**

Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
                  Oh gosh I couldnt work in silence luckily my roommate likes to sing
                  I always needed noise to study. I used to listen to a walkman (yes, yes, I'm that old - it had a TAPE player).

I'm surprised they'd auction something that had actually been worn so close to the skin. I'd be a little creeped out if I were Claire. Nice that you'd give it back though
                  Yeah, it's like auctioning underwear. Creepy.

Hi all! I'm pretty new to GateWorld and I cant believe that I took this long to find this! And sugar!! I'm getting slow!!
                  Welcome!! I saw you over on the Sparky moments thread. This is a great group of people.

Originally posted by lizabeth39 View Post
                  I feel the need to delurk for a little while, I'm much in need of some Sparky sugar.
                  Hello!! Sends you red velvet cake.

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                  Yep, totally technical. To FH's "HUH?" observation, I couldn't quite figure out how to describe the connection to the supergate in Stargate terms. So in Eri terms it was a bompty bomp bomp bomp. But it was when they blew up all the ships to amplify the regular wormhole to 'jump' to the Supergate and maintain the open wormhole there.
                  Honestly, whenever I hear or read technobabble my brain goes "blabedy bla, bla bla".

Weeeee, goes to listen. Thanks! Ok, listened. I love his laugh.

Dang, I'm gonna have to get a Twitter account. But it'll be another account like LJ that I only use to keep up with people.

Comment

We're the Hotel Sparkifornia. You can check out, but you can never leave
                    This right here cracked me up! Nice one, gateraid!

Welcome to newbies and de-lurkers!

And, regarding all the discussion on chevrons, gates, irises, shields, and kawooshes.....reading all that is a big reminder to me that I watched SGA on such a superficial level, LOL.
                    sigpic
                    Signature by Erin87

Comment

*flails*

I created my first dynamic 3D SFX animation today - dust being disturbed by a falling ball.

Songs are usually too much of a distraction for me; it's probably the competing words. I write better listening to instrumental music. Or just silence.
                      Mozart's Requiem, Beethoven's 2nd, Strauss (both Sr & Jr), Tchaikovsky's 1812, Händel, Verdi, Mozart in general really...

All music that have a positive effect on my chaotic mind.

So, super duper close then?
                      Super duper indeed.

I'm surprised they'd auction something that had actually been worn so close to the skin. I'd be a little creeped out if I were Claire. Nice that you'd give it back though
                      I wouldn't even blame her for being creeped out. Hence why sending it back seemed like a good idea.

Oh, and they sold ear plugs so ... well... you know... ew!

And sugar!!
                      TOUCH MY SUGAR AND DIE!!!

*hogs her bowl*

From somewhere behind her in the office: "FH, that's not the way I thought you!"

*whimpers*

*let's go off the bowl*

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                      To FH's "HUH?" observation, I couldn't quite figure out how to describe the connection to the supergate in Stargate terms. So in Eri terms it was a bompty bomp bomp bomp. But it was when they blew up all the ships to amplify the regular wormhole to 'jump' to the Supergate and maintain the open wormhole there.
                      Oh right...

And yes, we always have sugar.
                      My sugar!

"Falcon!"

But I can share...

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                      I always needed noise to study. I used to listen to a walkman (yes, yes, I'm that old - it had a TAPE player).
                      I still have mine, though I don't know if it still works. I loved my walkman.

Yeah, it's like auctioning underwear. Creepy.
                      - I don't think they auctioned any underwear... do earplugs count?
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

What's all this talk of walkmen? I remember reel to reel tapes. And 45's with that big fat hole in the middle. Now look at me on the interwebz.
                        sigpic

Comment

I remember casset tapes! My first one was the Spice Girls XD!
                          BALCONIES
                          sigpic

Comment

Whoa, work hurt my brain today. Please keep that in mind if my responses don't make sense.

**Kicks muse**
                            I think the muse doesn't like that.

Real life is hurting my brain. I swear, every time I think I'm gonna have some time to work on fic, something else comes up. Now we're going to be getting the house fumigated at the end of next week, so I've got to drop everything and get things packed and put away and all that. Argh.

I had one too.

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
                            And, regarding all the discussion on chevrons, gates, irises, shields, and kawooshes.....reading all that is a big reminder to me that I watched SGA on such a superficial level, LOL.
                            I used to be that way. Then I started writing fic and I had to get into the details.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            Mozart's Requiem, Beethoven's 2nd, Strauss (both Sr & Jr), Tchaikovsky's 1812, Händel, Verdi, Mozart in general really...

All music that have a positive effect on my chaotic mind.
                            Excellent!

TOUCH MY SUGAR AND DIE!!!

*hogs her bowl*

From somewhere behind her in the office: "FH, that's not the way I thought you!"

*whimpers*

*let's go off the bowl*

Oh right...

My sugar!

"Falcon!"

But I can share...
                            LMAO!

What's all this talk of walkmen? I remember reel to reel tapes. And 45's with that big fat hole in the middle. Now look at me on the interwebz.
                            Whoo hoo, record players! Gotta love kickin' it old school.
                            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

*flails*

I created my first dynamic 3D SFX animation today - dust being disturbed by a falling ball.
                              I take it class is still fun and getting even more so?
                              I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

45's! That takes me back to some of my few good memories growing up. Setting in mom and dad's room listening to mom's 45's of the Beach Boys, Monkeys, Motown, etc and dad's Charlie Daniels' albums on occation.
                                I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Working...
                                X