Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    NCIS really kicks ass at doing this right.
    Spoiler:
    Heck, it's been years since Kate Todd's death, and we just got a new episode with her sister coming by to check up on Team Gibbs!
    Yes!! That was really wonderfully done. That's how to do it, folks.
    Spoiler:
    Because if a good friend dies, you don't magically get over it right away. Not even in a few months (I say to JM about Reunion)

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
      I agree with you. I don't think the line from JM's blog in Remnants is canon, however I don't think it was even really needed. I think even non-Sparky shippers would agree that Elizabeth is his greatest Atlantis failure (you could make arguments about his pre-Atlantis days, of course, since we know so little about them). Of course, it would have been awesome to have that shown on screen. I wonder why JM posted stuff like that. What was the point? Everyone knows his opinion of Elizabeth. Did he think he was going to fool us? I don't believe his entry about rescuing Elizabeth being a possible season 6 story. Not for one minute. It's very easy to say that when you know there WON'T be a season 6. Whoa, got off topic - sorry!
      Maybe he was doing that because the fans were pissed off about Elizabeth as they were about Carson, you know trying to apease the fans so they don't go after him with Pitchforks and torches by giving them false hope. Still rather dumb idea! Maybe the trainwreck writers of "Legacy" can make up for their flaws and have them save Elizabeth....maybe make the mediocre writing less of an eye sore.

As for your comment about Elizabeth being John's biggest Atlantis failure, I couldn't agree more. It especially enchances his failure because he sucessfully saved Elizabeth many times before, IE. "The Eye", "The Real World" Etc. and the fact he failed her after comming to her rescue all those times before was diffenitely a knife plunging into his chest.

Yes, totally agree. Of course, this is one of the reasons I love fanfic. It fills in the gaps.
      Yes thank god for fan fic but, "Common Ground" was just as an emotional Elizabeth!Episode as it was for John. Though we did see quips of her guilt we didn't see it through to the end, like Elizabeth apologizing for John's suffering and John assuring her it was not her fault. I mean seriously if you not going to follow through with Elizabeth's arc in Common Ground....Kolya should have been making negotations with Rodney rather than Elizabeth....

Though Rodney did speak partly during the video feed, if Rodney continued it definitely would have been a trainwreck of a situation.
      BALCONIES
      The Breeding Ground of Ships.
      sigpic

Comment

I don't consider deleted scenes to be canon, because if the show was still going on they could easily contradict the deleted scenes if they wanted to. I think canon is only what was seen on screen in the normal TV show.

This is off topic but I don't think any PTB should get involved in online fandom. I've seen it kill some fandoms. Suddenly people don't speak their minds, or else people will get over the top. It never goes well. Podcasts - sure. But posting - no.

Oh, and if you have to go online and post explanations to things then you didn't do your job very well.
        As I said, in some fandoms it has happened, and the world didn't end because of it. So I suppose a good rule of thumb is, 'never say never.' Because somewhere along the line, a perfectly good exception will happen.

Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
        Maybe he was doing that because the fans were pissed off about Elizabeth as they were about Carson, you know trying to apease the fans so they don't go after him with Pitchforks and torches by giving them false hope. Still rather dumb idea! Maybe the trainwreck writers of "Legacy" can make up for their flaws and have them save Elizabeth....maybe make the mediocre writing less of an eye sore.
        They won't be doing that. Everything that the writers of those books have posted points to them doing the same sort of 'dangle her in front of the fans like a carrot, then throw her away again and ignore that she ever existed' thing that TPTW have already done. Oh, wait. You were being sarcastic, weren't you?
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

They won't be doing that. Everything that the writers of those books have posted points to them doing the same sort of 'dangle her in front of the fans like a carrot, then throw her away again and ignore that she ever existed' thing that TPTW have already done. Oh, wait. You were being sarcastic, weren't you?
          Guilty! I am gonna trust you guys to take care of Elizabeth on "Rising" Rather then those Legacy chicks.
          BALCONIES
          sigpic

Comment

Let's face it, we've all thought about things that make us want to fling lemons at our computer screens today. So, here is a five minute stress buster. Cute youtube blooper reel that has some great Torri smiles (and I think Joe may even dance at one point). Just don't watch the last ten seconds or the heartburn will flare all over again.

Last edited by Zandra's Ashes; 21 February 2011, 04:08 PM.
            sigpic
            Thanks to Copter for my signature art!

Comment

Did you guys see the con footage from BasauriCon 2.0? Torri was asked about Sparky (apparently us delusional people are everywhere!) Her response included closet talk!! And talk about writers denying it! Love her!

Comment

Did you guys see the con footage from BasauriCon 2.0? Torri was asked about Sparky (apparently us delusional people are everywhere!) Her response included closet talk!! And talk about writers denying it! Love her!

Spoiler:

She is a handful, isn't she? Starting rumors and thinking about all the closets on Atlantis. Funny as h**l. Thanks for sharing this, it was great and Torri is adorable.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zandra's Ashes View Post
                  Let's face it, we've all thought about things that make us want to fling lemons at our computer screens today. So, here is a five minute stress buster. Cute youtube blooper reel that has some great Torri smiles (and I think Joe may even dance at one point). Just don't watch the last ten seconds or the heartburn will flare all over again.

Thank you for this! Joe and Jason both dancing are hilarious!! Just what I needed on this Monday

Comment

I have a question. Are the teleplays available anywhere for the series? I would love to see them. I find myself curious, for example, in TRW did CB used a line action tag to direct JF to grab and squeeze TH's arm when she was in quarantine? Same would go for any epp- I'm suddenly curious if it was the director or the writer that always made them stand so close, always had them staring in the eyes. A lot is out of the writers hand when it goes into production. This series may be an anomaly because I know the PTB often exchanged these roles frequently and often had multiple roles for the same epp (and I'm sure they kept a firm handle to extract the desired product). But, it would be interesting to analyze the episodes with the most sparky moments and see who wrote and directed those episodes. Has anyone done that?

I've liked Peter DeLuise since his 21 Jumpstreet Days and I'm suddenly wondering if I have him to thank for that lovely extended eyelock (during the coffee scene) in Intruder or if he is to blame for so many other things
                    Last edited by Zandra's Ashes; 21 February 2011, 04:54 PM. Reason: Coffee break ;)
                    sigpic

Comment

Do you guys know if they have any Stargate conventions in Europe, where the cast make an appearance?
                      I went to a con, many years ago, for some show(I'll have to ask which one now), but it was just a few producers that happened to live in England and no actors, which had me bummed..
                      Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Wonderful signatures by wonderful people.(Not me thus =] )
                      My secret: .. .- -- -- .- .-. .-. .. . -.. - --- -- .- .--- --- .-. .-.. --- .-. -. .

Comment

I have a question. Are the teleplays available anywhere for the series? I would love to see them. I find myself curious, for example, in TRW did CB used a line action tag to direct JF to grab and squeeze TH's arm when she was in quarantine? Same would go for any epp- I'm suddenly curious if it was the director or the writer that always made them stand so close, always had them staring in the eyes. A lot is out of the writers hand when it goes into production. This series may be an anomaly because I know the PTB often exchanged these roles frequently and often had multiple roles for the same epp (and I'm sure they kept a firm handle to extract the desired product). But, it would be interesting to analyze the episodes with the most sparky moments and see who wrote and directed those episodes. Has anyone done that?

I've liked Peter DeLuise since his 21 Jumpstreet Days and I'm suddenly wondering if I have him to thank for that lovely extended eyelock (during the coffee scene) in Intruder or if he is to blame for so many other things
                        I am not sure. I've always been curious about the same thing in Sateda. In the Daedalus scene with John and Teyla, when giving his list of friends John does a pause and smile after Elizabeth's name. I've always wondered if that was in the script, or if it was the director's idea, or if Joe wasn't even aware he did it.

Comment

As I said, in some fandoms it has happened, and the world didn't end because of it. So I suppose a good rule of thumb is, 'never say never.' Because somewhere along the line, a perfectly good exception will happen.
                          Well I'm not going to tell you what fandom, because it's too embarrassing for a person my age to be watching that show

Comment

Happy Monday! Well, ok, Mondays suck, but I'm trying to be cheerful.

Before I get to the real stuff, I have to just say "Rodney + children = JT shuddering"

Where's my pitchfork?

THIS! The same Rodney that wrote a 500 page book about Elizabeth is not upset about it at all? Especially considering part of that whole mess was his fault, he should have should some feelings about it. In the commentary, JM was laughing about how "funny" it was that Rodney would think he would get promoted. From his point of view, dumping Elizabeth was a great thing so of course he's not going to see that from Rodney's perspective it would be really sad. But I think JM is a butt-hole, so...

I don't consider deleted scenes to be canon, because if the show was still going on they could easily contradict the deleted scenes if they wanted to. I think canon is only what was seen on screen in the normal TV show.

I agree with you. I don't think the line from JM's blog in Remnants is canon, however I don't think it was even really needed. I think even non-Sparky shippers would agree that Elizabeth is his greatest Atlantis failure (you could make arguments about his pre-Atlantis days, of course, since we know so little about them). Of course, it would have been awesome to have that shown on screen. I wonder why JM posted stuff like that. What was the point? Everyone knows his opinion of Elizabeth. Did he think he was going to fool us? I don't believe his entry about rescuing Elizabeth being a possible season 6 story. Not for one minute. It's very easy to say that when you know there WON'T be a season 6. Whoa, got off topic - sorry!

Yes, totally agree. Of course, this is one of the reasons I love fanfic. It fills in the gaps.

Yes. I think it was their excuse.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! I didn't know JF went to them about this. So that scene in Reunion between him and Carter - that wasn't originally going to happen? Whoa, what?!

Now I love Joe even more!

This is off topic but I don't think any PTB should get involved in online fandom. I've seen it kill some fandoms. Suddenly people don't speak their minds, or else people will get over the top. It never goes well. Podcasts - sure. But posting - no.

Oh, and if you have to go online and post explanations to things then you didn't do your job very well.
                            In the year or so after the cancellation, JF was very vocal at every con about the treatment of Torri and how TPTB had not done what they promised for any of them. He always said he missed her and once said he thought she was a lot sexier off screen. You can always depend on Joe to tell you what he's thinking and not worry about the consequences. The rest of the cast depended on him to go to TPTB with any concerns and he was glad to do it. As a result, he sometimes got blamed for things that were not his idea. He always stuck up for the cast against the bosses.

She is adorable and looking very beautiful.

I don't know of anywhere you can read the actual teleplay. The closest would be the transcripts on the GW site but those are written by someone watching the show. I think from listening to the commentaries that a lot of it has to do with direction and editing. The positioning of the cast seemed to be frequently dependent on who was speaking and height. Thus why Jason was often in the background. I think we benefited from Joe and Torri being so close in height that it was easy to frame them together.
                            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

ZOMG, yay for videos! I'm going to be rewatching those two for a long time.

Actual copies of finished scripts are not generally available. There have occasionally been copies of scripts (usually signed by cast, writers or producers) that have been given away as prizes at conventions where cast/writers/producers are appearing, but that's the extent of it.

Originally posted by Siara.Corvus View Post
                              Do you guys know if they have any Stargate conventions in Europe, where the cast make an appearance?
                              I went to a con, many years ago, for some show(I'll have to ask which one now), but it was just a few producers that happened to live in England and no actors, which had me bummed..
                              As far as I know, there are no conventions specifically focused on Stargate in Europe, just general science fiction conventions that Stargate-related guests might appear at. Some of our members in Europe can probably fill you in more on that subject than I can.

Well I'm not going to tell you what fandom, because it's too embarrassing for a person my age to be watching that show
                              Power Rangers? (I admit, I used to watch. It went downhill after they got rid of Zordon.) One of the various dubbed and heavily edited animes (Yu-Gi-Oh! and that ilk)?
                              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Power Rangers? (I admit, I used to watch. It went downhill after they got rid of Zordon.) One of the various dubbed and heavily edited animes (Yu-Gi-Oh! and that ilk)?
                                Oh the good ol' days of childhood. I was a Pink Power Ranger for Halloween =D
                                BALCONIES
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X