No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    *holds on tight*

Logic has no place in shipping.

That said, we here in the Sparky thread pride ourselves on being able to step aside from shipping on occasion and see things very clearly and realistically. Darn it.
    *glomps some more*

Darn it, indeed.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    Ok I thought it was just me. I'm insanely protective of Elizabeth. Some of the hate I've seen... Yikes!! I have since retreated back into the safe places. I'm glad you guys are out there!!

That being said, I agree with others that she wasn't blameless in that situation. Then Simon was rude to string her along in Intruder. But, like others have said, they're both human.
    *glomps JT-2* I'm glad you're here!

Originally posted by ddc View Post
    Also, wasn't there supposedly a cut scene that had her having a farewell dinner with her family (her mother & Simon I'd guess)? I see the recording as her letting him know the details if he was granted clearance. I'd always assumed she'd seen or at least talked to him before she left, just had to hedge about what she was doing ("Not sure how long I'll be gone. The whole things's classified.").
    I do remember that scene in the novelization, along with the one where Simon gave her the necklace (and was rewritten and used in "Home" instead). I don't know if either of them were actually shot, or just cut from the script before filming. Both of those scenes do imply that they had talked about it, she just couldn't give him details.

I just bought the season 3 DVDs. I can't believe every episode has a commentary EXCEPT for The Real World. Fail PTB! Very much FAIL!
    I had the same reaction. There's also not one of GitM in S5. Sigh.
    Yeah, it's pretty telling, isn't it? *joins in the grumbling*

Originally posted by Probie View Post
    I will be the annoying girl here but don't start with the commentary.lol In France, we don't have commentaries for the season 1 (except 4 episodes and without subtitle) and season 5 doesn't have subtitle.
    I still want to hear the one with Torri and Rachel. grrrr
    Gee, no one's ever tried to rip the commentary track? (Don't look at me, though, I don't know the first thing about how to do that.) That sucks.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

T.G.I.F!!!!!!

SR, I am still perusing your fics on my lunch break and one of them just gave me the warm and fuzzies. Hope you don't mind, I'm attaching it to share my happy thought of the day.

Spoiler:

Off to find a way to be productive, though I suspect a lot of absent minded pen twirling is in store for the afternoon.
      sigpic
      Thanks to Copter for my signature art!

Comment

Guys,

I am having a bad bad week, month, several months in fact. I am sad and tired and lonely, and I'm in bad need of something - cheering up, hugs, something. It's been tough on me, and it still is, and I don't know when it's going to be better. I feel like I'm drowning and waving my hands and almost nobody sees. Can you help me, can you make me feel a bit better? At least this evening? I gotta go now, but I'll be back in an hour or so.
        I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Zandra's Ashes View Post
          T.G.I.F!!!!!!

SR, I am still perusing your fics on my lunch break and one of them just gave me the warm and fuzzies. Hope you don't mind, I'm attaching it to share my happy thought of the day.

Spoiler:

Off to find a way to be productive, though I suspect a lot of absent minded pen twirling is in store for the afternoon.
          Oh my gosh. You humble me. That was the very first fic I ever wrote for this fandom. I don't get many plot bunnies but when I do they just kinda gush out. LOL

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
          Guys,

I am having a bad bad week, month, several months in fact. I am sad and tired and lonely, and I'm in bad need of something - cheering up, hugs, something. It's been tough on me, and it still is, and I don't know when it's going to be better. I feel like I'm drowning and waving my hands and almost nobody sees. Can you help me, can you make me feel a bit better? At least this evening? I gotta go now, but I'll be back in an hour or so.
          So sorry sweetie. *massive hugs* I've always found though that other people can't really change your mood. You have to do that yourself. So find something that makes you feel good. A Sparky fic perhaps.
          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

*surfaces from the ocean of RL*

*gasps for air*

Ooh, so happy I'm back. For all of five minutes.

Thanks for those. That one of Torri is one of the best I've seen of her. Love befuddled Joe. Someone must have been asking a really puzzling question. LOL

While we're talking pics, I have a request. Does anyone have a really big pic of the team? I need all 4 from S2-5 in their off world gear and can't find one that's not too far away or with them facing the camera. I've looked through all the archives of screencaps I know of.
            In addition to the others, I have one, but it's Team Sheppard+Elizabeth+Carson in a jumper from "The Return", all in black and TAC vests, except Ronan is standing in the rear ... don't know if you can use it or not ... Want me to post it???

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
            Last night's blog entry from Joe Mallozzi had another tidbit about Atlantis that may be useful for background on Atlantis Rising:

mrmichaelt writes: “On 1/17/11′s mailbag, you answered 80% of Destiny is left to be explored. On the series finale of Stargate Atlantis, how much of Atlantis was explored by the expedition?”

Answer: My guess? 60%.

Looks like we've got some more room to play in!
            *scratches head and continues to other post about TPP*

Have you also been to Disney World? Disneyland would fit in the parking lot. Quite a dif.
            True dat.

I doubt JF would agree with hanging out with Mickey. Remember his tweets from Disney? LOL
            LOL, I was just thinking the same thing!!!

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
            Wow, two additional years and they only got 10% more explored? (Since SG-1 answered it for him in "The Pegasus Project")

And that was around, timeline wise, season 3. Of course, they probably didn't bother exploring anymore after Weir was gone--maybe it wasn't smart because as we all know they were already trying to save money by using less powerful light bubble bulbs. Exploring in the dark would probably be more dangerous.
            And would create more whump fics. Ha ha.

Ha! Or maybe JM just pulled that number out of his....hat?
            Yeah, that's what I'm thinkin ...

Originally posted by Torri012 View Post
            quick signature

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o121/Torri_012/Unbenannt-2Kopie2Kopie.jpg[/IMG]
            OMG, that's great!!! I snurched, if you don't mind. If I use, will give you the credit!!!

Originally posted by Torri012 View Post
            thank you of course, just tell me what you want (& maybe the pic) and i'll see what i can come up with

right, one more for today ... i'm in a good mood

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o121/Torri_012/Unbenannt-3.jpg[/IMG]
            *droolz* Awesome-Sparky-ness!!!

This has been one of my pet peeves all throughout. I thought the whole idea of the series was to explore the city. Then when they introduced John and his super gene, I thought he would have a big part in revealing the secrets of Atlantis and we'd find out just what powers he had in relation to the city. Then after a few half-hearted attempts to explore, nothing. In fact, fanfic has done a pretty good job of doing what they failed at. I love the ones when the city is almost sentient and John can communicate with her. I know JF said several times that he wanted more exploration and I loved the line in one ep where John called the city the "old girl". Once again major fail by TPTB.
            I like those fics a lot too ...

Once they started doing alien threat of the week, they just didn't seem to be able to get beyond that.
            And think about it, there was still so much that could've been discovered in the city that they had PLENTY to write about! Rodney touches an Ancient device that tries to ascend him, a device makes John get a teenage crush on Elizabeth, John and Elizabeth get turned into a dog and a cat ...

*stops writing and realizes that the last two were fanfics*

So yeah. Case in point.

*intentionally refuses to meet Anuna's eyes while whistling and looking down at feet* NO! Or more politely, um...can't. Plate full, cup runneth over...all that.... *goes back to playing Angry Birds* Sorry sweets.
            Meesa love Angry Birds!!! And now you can get it on every electronic device you own. Angry Birds is evil frakkin awesome!!!

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Nope, haven't been to the World yet. I've lived vicariously through everyone else's trip reports.
            Meaning JoeF's Tweets. LOL

*snerks* See, that's why he was supposed to go over to Epcot and get some beer!
            Ooh ... beer ... *droolz and wishes she wasn't going to work today*

I had also been thinking about TPP this morning. The impression I got from Weir's explanation was that they had the city blueprints (and probably some information in the database), but they'd only been able to actually send teams of people out to do an in-depth physical exploration of about half the city by that time. I'll stick my neck out on a limb and suggest that Mallozzi may have been thinking along those same lines; if the additional discussion we've had about mission priorities shifting after Weir's loss and exploration being set aside for more military matters is correct, then the small amount of additional exploration he's suggested does fit that scenario pretty well.

But yeah, the new environmental-awareness mandated energy reductions couldn't have helped, either.

Hey, haven't I always said that Atlantis was pissed off because Earth wouldn't let them go after Elizabeth, so the city turned the lights off in protest?
            Sounds like Atlantis was feeding off John's emotions there ...

And just like that, a new fic idea is born. Grr.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Hmm, looks like we've got another of Joe's requests to fulfill in Atlantis Rising.
            YAY!!!

*holds on tight*

That said, we here in the Sparky thread pride ourselves on being able to step aside from shipping on occasion and see things very clearly and realistically. Darn it.
            *cackles*

I just bought the season 3 DVDs. I can't believe every episode has a commentary EXCEPT for The Real World. Fail PTB! Very much FAIL!
            I had the same reaction. There's also not one of GitM in S5. Sigh.
            Ooh, that major sucky.

Guys,

*glomps Anuna*

We luv ya, girl!!! I always appreciate your fics and your perspectives on different elements, and having you around is always a high point in this thread for me.

And now, catching up on meme:

Day 20: Unpopular opinion time!
            Umm, someone wanna clarify what that means? I'll come back to it!

Day 21: Best quote
            Season 1, "Suspicion"

Sheppard: I wonder what hurts more- the gunshot wound or the hunger. Because I'd love to help out, but how did McKay put it? "We can't meet your dietary requirements."

Wraith: When I am free, you'll be the first that I feed upon.
            Sheppard: Okie dokie. I'm gonna go make myself a sandwich.

ROFL

Day 22: Worst quote
            Hmm. I'll come back to that.

Spoiler:
            Day 23: Saddest character death
            Day 24: Favorite in-show lingo
            Day 25: Favorite kiss
            Day 26: OMG WHY SGA WHY moment
            Day 27: Funniest screen cap
            Day 28: Favorite enemy
            Day 29: Least favorite enemy
            Day 30: One thing you would change
            Day 31: How it should have ended

BTW -- SK -- I'm completely and utterly hooked on Stargate_ren!!! OMG, it's awesome!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post

And would create more whump fics. Ha ha.

There are some of us (like me ) that are ok with more whump fic.

I like those fics a lot too ...

My current fic has Atlantis being more sentient but it also has A LOT of whump in it, for Joe. Plus it's a Sheyla fic not Shweir. I was writing a Shweir but I stopped because I wasn't liking it and decided to stick with one fic at a time for right now. I'm not talented like some of you who can write 2 at a time.

Season 1, "Suspicion"

Sheppard: I wonder what hurts more- the gunshot wound or the hunger. Because I'd love to help out, but how did McKay put it? "We can't meet your dietary requirements."

Wraith: When I am free, you'll be the first that I feed upon.
              Sheppard: Okie dokie. I'm gonna go make myself a sandwich.

What were/are Joe's tweets about Disneyland/world?? I'm not on twitter but now I'm curious!

Hi all! Sorry I haven't been too chatty on here. RL's been, well, RL.

And now to go back and see what all I've missed.

sigpic
              Coming January 2017

Comment

*surfaces from the ocean of RL*

*gasps for air*

Ooh, so happy I'm back. For all of five minutes.

In addition to the others, I have one, but it's Team Sheppard+Elizabeth+Carson in a jumper from "The Return", all in black and TAC vests, except Ronan is standing in the rear ... don't know if you can use it or not ... Want me to post it???
                Thanks but I have that one. And I think I have what I need now.

Originally posted by m&mnm317 View Post
                What were/are Joe's tweets about Disneyland/world?? I'm not on twitter but now I'm curious!

Hi all! Sorry I haven't been too chatty on here. RL's been, well, RL.

And now to go back and see what all I've missed.
                Joe went to Disney World with his family back in the fall and hated it. He later told some people he disliked all the security. But he was tweeting for us to save him and complaining that there was no alcohol. Some of us tweeted him back that Epcot has Guinness but he said he was outnumbered and trapped in the Magic Kingdom. It was adorable and cute and I'm willing to bet he had a really good time.

I'm glad you're around because if you don't mind, I have a question. When you first came here you said you only saw John and Elizabeth as friends and didn't ship them. Now that you have spent time with us, have you changed your mind? It's okay if you haven't. Not all of us think they are soul mates but I'd like to know if immersion in a ship influences how someone sees it.

And meme time. I only have the strength for one a day. I think I'm up to Day 20: Unpopular opinion time!

This requires some thought because there are so many opinions about everything. Oh, here's one that will raise some hackles. I liked Irresistible. I thought it was funny and didn't think about the date rape thing. I liked John's interactions with Lucious. I thought the actors had good chemistry and played off each other well. That means I also didn't mind Irresponsible, though the setting did bother me a bit. *dodges tomatoes*
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                  I will be the annoying girl here but don't start with the commentary.lol In France, we don't have commentaries for the season 1 (except 4 episodes and without subtitle) and season 5 doesn't have subtitle.
                  I still want to hear the one with Torri and Rachel. grrrr
                  That's not fair! The one with Torri and Rachel is VERY adorable. (sorry)

Guys,

Truthful compliment for you - You're one of my top 5 Sparky authors and "Inspiration" is one of my top 5 fics of all time. I hope you feel better soon.

Comment

Joe went to Disney World with his family back in the fall and hated it. He later told some people he disliked all the security. But he was tweeting for us to save him and complaining that there was no alcohol. Some of us tweeted him back that Epcot has Guinness but he said he was outnumbered and trapped in the Magic Kingdom. It was adorable and cute and I'm willing to bet he had a really good time.

Ah, ok. Thanks for clarifying!

I'm glad you're around because if you don't mind, I have a question. When you first came here you said you only saw John and Elizabeth as friends and didn't ship them. Now that you have spent time with us, have you changed your mind? It's okay if you haven't. Not all of us think they are soul mates but I'd like to know if immersion in a ship influences how someone sees it.

I definitely think that getting more involved in a ship thread can influence a person, providing they keep an open mind (which I do). In truth, I prefer the idea of Teyla/Shep, but I'm ok with (and find it cute!) Weir/Shep. When I watch the show, I definitely still see them more as friends. But the whole point of writing a fic is to put what you WANT in it while keeping it based on whatever medium (for lack of a better word) you're using. Once I'm done with this particular story I'm doing, I'm going to try to write a little bit more of both so that both audiences have something to read.

This requires some thought because there are so many opinions about everything. Oh, here's one that will raise some hackles. I liked Irresistible. I thought it was funny and didn't think about the date rape thing. I liked John's interactions with Lucious. I thought the actors had good chemistry and played off each other well. That means I also didn't mind Irresponsible, though the setting did bother me a bit. *dodges tomatoes*
                    I wasn't that big on the Lucius character at all and therefore hated both episodes with him in it. But I'm not sure that I like any episode that is very unpopular. I think the most unpopular opinion I have is that I prefer Teyla/John together but you already knew that. Like I said earlier, I don't mind Weir/John together, it's kinda cute, but I do prefer Teyla with him.

sigpic
                    Coming January 2017

Comment

I was afraid I was the only one! Let's be illogical together! *clings desperately*
                      *holds on tight*

Ok I thought it was just me. I'm insanely protective of Elizabeth. Some of the hate I've seen... Yikes!! I have since retreated back into the safe places. I'm glad you guys are out there!!

That being said, I agree with others that she wasn't blameless in that situation. Then Simon was rude to string her along in Intruder. But, like others have said, they're both human.

I can totally understand all of this. I remember back to when I was heavily involved in the SEW (Save Elizabeth Weir) thread and the times I would lobby for her on JM's blog. Talk about having to don armor sometimes. It got pretty brutal out there! You know, I've never understood why fans would participate in discussions which agressively negatively bashed another character. Especially a character who wasn't written to be the "enemy" or the "bad guy". I can see being passionately supportive of a character, but I guess I can't see the flip side of that. Anyhoo - I do remember those days and I'm glad I stick to this thread pretty much exclusively now. It is nice to come to a place where we can talk about Sparky as well as our love for John & Elizabeth as separate characters too.

Guys,

Hmmmm - would some pics help? I sure hope so....
                      Spoiler:

sigpic
                      Signature by Erin87

Comment

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post

Hmmmm - would some pics help? I sure hope so....
                        Spoiler:

Those are wonderful pics!! Thanks for posting them.

sigpic
                        Coming January 2017

Comment

BTW -- SK -- I'm completely and utterly hooked on Stargate_ren!!! OMG, it's awesome!!!
                          YAY!! I love that series like crazy!!!!!

Day 20 - Unpopular opinion

Even though I adore John and Elizabeth together and think they're meant to be, I also enjoy reading fic with Elizabeth and other people. In particular, I've read good fic pairing her and Daniel, Cameron, and Lorne (not all at once, you gutter people). I'm fairly open to the pairings of everyone on Atlantis except for John. I am pulled out of the story if he's seeing anyone but Elizabeth, even if it's in the background. The only exception is if the story turns out to be Sparky in the end. Like I read one where it was Elizabeth/Cameron and John/Vala but there was a strong Sparky element to it.

Ok I'd better get back to work. FRIDAY!!

Comment

Originally posted by m&mnm317 View Post
                            I wasn't that big on the Lucius character at all and therefore hated both episodes with him in it. But I'm not sure that I like any episode that is very unpopular. I think the most unpopular opinion I have is that I prefer Teyla/John together but you already knew that. Like I said earlier, I don't mind Weir/John together, it's kinda cute, but I do prefer Teyla with him.
                            Hmm? Interesting. We all appreciate your candor, not too many people have successfully bridged the shipper gap. I'm glad you can play nice in both places.

YAY!! I love that series like crazy!!!!!

Day 20 - Unpopular opinion

Even though I adore John and Elizabeth together and think they're meant to be, I also enjoy reading fic with Elizabeth and other people. In particular, I've read good fic pairing her and Daniel, Cameron, and Lorne (not all at once, you gutter people). I'm fairly open to the pairings of everyone on Atlantis except for John. I am pulled out of the story if he's seeing anyone but Elizabeth, even if it's in the background. The only exception is if the story turns out to be Sparky in the end. Like I read one where it was Elizabeth/Cameron and John/Vala but there was a strong Sparky element to it.

Ok I'd better get back to work. FRIDAY!!
                            Unpopular opinions FTW! I'm just the opposite. I never read fics with either of them with other people but could have tolerated it if they had shipped John with someone else. Elizabeth, not so much. She's all for John. I guess another unpopular opinion I have is that I liked John with Nancy and Larrin (only for fun, not as a love interest). But anyone else is just unacceptable.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'll come back to it!

No Man's Land. Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go. it's so true if you think about it.

Day 22: Worst quote:

can't think of one.

Comment

Re unpopular opinion time
                                Spoiler:
                                - I always felt Teyla had more chemistry with anyone other than John, ever since that first scene. I also don't think John/Elizabeth kiss, per se, was very shippy - John's acceptance to play Thalan was rather interesting, but the kiss itself was simpla away of manipulating everyone else. let's not even mention John/Teyla kiss. To me, it was very very disturbing, given Teyla's gutted reaction to his act, which was, de facto, violence.
                                I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Working...
                                X