Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
    I am certainly in awe of her, when I go out into the workforce I want to be like elizabeth Weir!
    how doesnt? .... but i can tell you, it aint easy and even though i'm trying very hard (dont count posting on GW, its just something you NEED to do at work *g*)... i never will be like her

Comment

I am certainly in awe of her, when I go out into the workforce I want to be like elizabeth Weir!
      Originally posted by Torri012 View Post
      how doesnt? .... but i can tell you, it aint easy and even though i'm trying very hard (dont count posting on GW, its just something you NEED to do at work *g*)... i never will be like her
      Well, no one can be exactly like her... But she is a worthy role model to look up to.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
        Well, no one can be exactly like her... But she is a worthy role model to look up to.
        true...but what about all the crazy stuff she wouldnt really do .... but which are just fun?? i aint missing out on them

Comment

Alright Sparkys I am off to bed! Have sweet Sparky Dreams and Ill see ya'all in the morning!
          BALCONIES
          The Breeding Ground of Ships.
          sigpic

Comment

true...but what about all the crazy stuff she wouldnt really do .... but which are just fun?? i aint missing out on them
            Ah, but we usually only saw Lizzeh's serious, professional side. Torri Higginson petitioned the writers to let Lizzeh's hair down a little more often... they didn't go for it, but we will.

Alright Sparkys I am off to bed! Have sweet Sparky Dreams and Ill see ya'all in the morning!
            Good night! Pleasant Sparky dreams!
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Oooh, we seem to be a popular thread at the moment... five guests and one GW member I've never seen in this thread before... Hiya, strangers! Come on out and play with us!

Comment

ok
                night night then! hope you have awesome sparky dreams!!

Ah, but we usually only saw Lizzeh's serious, professional side. Torri Higginson petitioned the writers to let Lizzeh's hair down a little more often... they didn't go for it, but we will.
                oh, i love TH
                she's so right though, they should have let her do a few things with the character... there was good potential wasted :/ TH could've made weir so much cooler ... not that she isnt cool now but you know... a litte more cooler

Comment

oh, i love TH
                  she's so right though, they should have let her do a few things with the character... there was good potential wasted :/ TH could've made weir so much cooler ... not that she isnt cool now but you know... a litte more cooler
                  Oh, I know what you mean. Let us see her actually hanging out with the team during off-duty times more often, let us see her and Teyla really bonding as fellow leaders and friends instead of just telling us about it after the fact... maybe even show us the mythical Ladies' Poker Night with Cadman!

Comment

Happy birthday to Torri012 as well

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                    Oh and

Day 11: Your favorite SG-1 guest star

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Mitchell. Because of the way John proudly showed him around the place like a husband showing off the new paint job. I loved Jack in Return II also.
                    Mitchell was probably the closest thing John had to a peer. Everyone else was either his subordinate, his superior, or from different backgrounds. Sure, he had friends, but not equals.

<snip>
                    Honestly, I thought the same thing the first time I saw that scene. Teyla was downright disturbed by what happened in Conversion; in some respects, it seemed like she was never as comfortable with John after that. I have to wonder, with the assumption that Elizabeth and Teyla were supposed to be good friends (even though we hardly ever saw it, fail writers, fail!), might the two of them have talked to each other about their experiences with Bug!Shep? Now that might be an interesting 'missing scene' fic idea.
                    I saw a comment on a gen thread once, to the effect of

T: John kissed me
                    E: What, he kissed you? I was in his bedroom twice, and he still didn't kiss me

It's flippant and simplistic, but it's a valid point. Why? What was different about the situations that resulted in one quasi sexual incident, and one prolonged arguement ending in an attack? Did he have more control with Elizabeth, or less? Why was Elizabeth the only one (that we saw) who visited him in his quarters - what about Rodney, Ronon, Lorne?

You're right, it's unlikely that there wouldn't have been a conversation between the two of them about John's actions. Even if it was only in the context of discussing why she didn't go to see him.

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                    I see where you're seeing that RE: Teyla's dream and that's what I always thought she was seeing, too. I always thought that John's darker side there kinda scared her, especially because she so completely trusted him. And Teyla's greatest fear has been the Wraith, her own Wraith genetics and what that could mean. John kinda lived out her fear AND it was the double whammy of being someone you wouldn't think could be that way, so it surprised her and she wasn't sure what to think. I thought it inadvertently made her raise her guard a little. It plays into the scene in TLG where she is wary of that possessed John as well. It seemed to me her darkest fears in Doppelganger was about John returning to something that scary--not being a John she could wholeheartedly trust.
                    When we were introduced to Teyla, her life revolved completely around the wraith. After moving to Atlantis, perhaps she'd allowed that fear to lessen a little? Maybe John's actions in Conversion were not only a shock in terms of his personality (that she'd seen) but also a shock in terms of where she expected the threat to come from? IDK. I think you're right when you say it raised her guard - in that context, the coda in Phantoms takes on a new light. I'd always thought it seemed like she was uncomfortable asking John about his past in that scene - maybe it was because his actions there had reminded her of his darker side?

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    It was written and directed by Robert C. Cooper. In your case, it would have been his air you'd have freed from its rubber prison.
                    I think I could live with that

***Meme-time***

Spoiler:
                    Day 11: Your favorite SG-1 guest star
                    Day 12: A scene that had you yelling at the screen
                    Day 13: A scene that made you blush
                    Day 14: Favorite pairing
                    Day 15: Least favorite pairing
                    Day 16: Favorite season
                    Day 17: Favorite team (Ford or Ronon? Weir or Carter?)
                    Day 18: Favorite side character
                    Day 19: Most annoying side character
                    Day 20: Unpopular opinion time!
                    Day 21: Best quote
                    Day 22: Worst quote
                    Day 23: Saddest character death
                    Day 24: Favorite in-show lingo
                    Day 25: Favorite kiss
                    Day 26: OMG WHY SGA WHY moment
                    Day 27: Funniest screen cap
                    Day 28: Favorite enemy
                    Day 29: Least favorite enemy
                    Day 30: One thing you would change
                    Day 31: How it should have ended

Day 10: Your favorite female character (who isn’t your fave char)

I guess that would have to be Teyla, since she's a close second, and Elizabeth a close third... but considering that I generally put all three (Kate in first) at top of my list, I am going with Laura Cadman instead...

I lover her quirky self; the way she interacts well with Rodney and Carson, and Elizabeth. She's not afraid to speak her mind and she can shut Rodney up. But most of all she's a tapdancing explosives expert - what more do you want?

I like almost all female characters, hence why was a regular in the Secondary Women of Atlantis thread (which is no longer an active thread due to the leaving of a lot of people). I think I'm the only one still posting there and that does get a little lonely...
                    I think the SGA females are written better than the SG-1 ones (minus Janet, Sam had her ups and downs). Having said that, I think they did a better job with all of the secondary characters on SGA. It still didn't stop them from nixing the ones they found hard to write for though

Originally posted by RogueRanger View Post
                    Gater are you a Kiwi by any chance? I'm not sure it was on a DVD interview it may have been college or something
                    Sure am Where are you from?

I figured it'd just be in college, he's not scarred enough to have played it at a high level

Oh, I know what you mean. Let us see her actually hanging out with the team during off-duty times more often, let us see her and Teyla really bonding as fellow leaders and friends instead of just telling us about it after the fact... maybe even show us the mythical Ladies' Poker Night with Cadman!
                    Did the poker night actually exist, or is that a fanfiction invention?

They complain about Weir's office, yet they always filmed her there. Why not have a convo in another setting? The 'lunch' scene in ToR could've been done in her office, but they chose not, and it benefited the interplay.
                    sigpic

Comment

DITO!
                      I hate it how she's just hovering around in the background. All you see her do is disagree with Rodney and read Mission-Reports. I know she wasnt as left out as some of the other characters (like Teyla, who literally did nothing besides following the team like some fangirl) but i'd have loved to see her just have dinner with the team and to mess about abit. It came across like she was a very 'lonely' person and it kinda makes me sad ;( i love my lizzie and i really do think an offworld mission or two would've done so much good for her character...

oh yeah, pokernight with cadman... that just screams 'alcohol and naughtiness' awesome. i'd kill for just a 10second scene of that

Comment

Welcome here Zandra's Ashes!
                        I also read some of your fanfics like some people here.

Day 10: Your favorite female character (who isn’t your fave char)

Cadman or Kate or Novak.
                        sigpic
                        Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Yup. Scary stuff, indeed. Scarier still when one considers that he's more than capable of choosing to turn on a dime and go dark when sufficiently motivated (ie., Storm/Eye) rather than it being accidentally forced on him like in Conversion.
                          Valid point. The team had seen John do that instant switch from wise-cracking easy-going laid-back flyboy to Rambo a number of times. I wonder what they thought about it. I would love to have seen them talking about him. The way they looked at him when he gunned down Kolya is a good example. Rodney even said something like "who are you?" Maybe they would have been a little nervous around him for a time.

We never did hear about any other psychiatrists or psychologists on Atlantis. Even in Season 1 when there was only about 200 people, one would think there'd be at least one or two others so that she didn't have such a big workload. Hmm...
                          They certainly needed more psychiatrists and Kate was definitely overworked. After her death would have been a good time to introduce a new character. Someone the opposite of Kate that none of them liked.

Originally posted by Zandra's Ashes View Post
                          I've been a lazy lurker around here lately, checking the site for updates on the hard work I know is going into Season 6. Must of been premonition that made me finally sign up last week, but there's nothing like some good birthday cheer- and muffins- to push me past my shyness. *blushing*

So Happy birthday Anuna and Torri! Hope it's fabulous!
                          Welcome to the thread. Always glad to have new blood.

That is one of my hot buttons. I got furious in S4 when they had Carter hanging out with them in the cafeteria. And then later Woolsey. WTF? Why not Elizabeth?

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                          Happy birthday to Torri012 as well

Mitchell was probably the closest thing John had to a peer. Everyone else was either his subordinate, his superior, or from different backgrounds. Sure, he had friends, but not equals.

It's flippant and simplistic, but it's a valid point. Why? What was different about the situations that resulted in one quasi sexual incident, and one prolonged arguement ending in an attack? Did he have more control with Elizabeth, or less? Why was Elizabeth the only one (that we saw) who visited him in his quarters - what about Rodney, Ronon, Lorne?

You're right, it's unlikely that there wouldn't have been a conversation between the two of them about John's actions. Even if it was only in the context of discussing why she didn't go to see him.

When we were introduced to Teyla, her life revolved completely around the wraith. After moving to Atlantis, perhaps she'd allowed that fear to lessen a little? Maybe John's actions in Conversion were not only a shock in terms of his personality (that she'd seen) but also a shock in terms of where she expected the threat to come from? IDK. I think you're right when you say it raised her guard - in that context, the coda in Phantoms takes on a new light. I'd always thought it seemed like she was uncomfortable asking John about his past in that scene - maybe it was because his actions there had reminded her of his darker side?

I think I could live with that

I think the SGA females are written better than the SG-1 ones (minus Janet, Sam had her ups and downs). Having said that, I think they did a better job with all of the secondary characters on SGA. It still didn't stop them from nixing the ones they found hard to write for though

Sure am Where are you from?

I figured it'd just be in college, he's not scarred enough to have played it at a high level

They complain about Weir's office, yet they always filmed her there. Why not have a convo in another setting? The 'lunch' scene in ToR could've been done in her office, but they chose not, and it benefited the interplay.
                          The difference in John was hormones or pheromones or whatever. It wouldn't have mattered who he was sparring with when they kicked in. And also a residual attraction to Teyla that appealed to his lizard brain. Otherwise, he would not be a heterosexual male and we're not going there. LOL

Rodney, Ronon and Teyla were all in John's quarters a number of times. But yeah, I agree that Teyla wasn't quite sure what to make of John or any of them actually. She was always surprised when Rodney did little nice things for her. In the few scenes with Elizabeth I saw them treating each other as equals. I'm not sure how they could have worked in more such scenes in the time they had without changing something else. Anything else would have been more "telling not showing".

BTW, in Change of Plans Joe's character gets to say something like "the first rule of show business is show, don't tell". He seemed to deliver those lines with relish. And I yelled "not in your last show" at the screen. LOL

Ladies poker night was mentioned by Cadman in Duet. That's where fandom got the idea.
                          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

YAY *orders a burito!*
                            make it 2 boritos, i'm quite starved too.....
                            *orders some carnitas soft tacos, and enough chips and guac for everyone*
                            *hugs everyone*

Especially SK ... you're smart enough to buy guac for everyone, otherwise I would've stolen yours ... Hehehehe

And yet another storyline I need to expand on ...

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                            Eeh, that's true. Good point.

Too deep for me this early in the morning ... ahem, almost 9am ... but interesting, I always seem to forget that.

Yeah, I noticed that too ...

Fail.

And it did wonders for us Sparky addicts!!!

*makes note to go rewatch that as well*

Comment

Meme time!!!

"GitM", when John let loose that line about "You may think you're still Elizabeth, but you're not" and seeing her facial reaction ... Only time I called John an idiot ...

Spoiler:
                              Day 13: A scene that made you blush
                              Day 14: Favorite pairing
                              Day 15: Least favorite pairing
                              Day 16: Favorite season
                              Day 17: Favorite team (Ford or Ronon? Weir or Carter?)
                              Day 18: Favorite side character
                              Day 19: Most annoying side character
                              Day 20: Unpopular opinion time!
                              Day 21: Best quote
                              Day 22: Worst quote
                              Day 23: Saddest character death
                              Day 24: Favorite in-show lingo
                              Day 25: Favorite kiss
                              Day 26: OMG WHY SGA WHY moment
                              Day 27: Funniest screen cap
                              Day 28: Favorite enemy
                              Day 29: Least favorite enemy
                              Day 30: One thing you would change
                              Day 31: How it should have ended

Comment

Oh gosh, there were so many. Let me think. *ponders*

Since this is the Sparky thread, I will stick with that. In Return I, when Rodney was telling John about how he had tried to contact Elizabeth, I was yelling at John to tell him you tried too. Dammit. That was a case where tell, don't show would have worked for me.
                                sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Working...
                                X