Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Ahh, how can something so wrong feel so right? LOL!

Wasn't it Mallozzi who kept calling him that? Of course, he might have just been trying to be facetious to yank the chains of certain fans, but I digress...
    Wash your mouth out! JM would never toy with the fans

Clearly not a comic book geek.
    Not unless you count Asterix & Obelix. Or Footrot Flats.

*snorts* Nope. DCverse for the win.
    Sounded like a good idea for a comic, but I think Hefner has that market cornered

I'm trying to pretend it didn't happen.
    You'd be surprised how many people say that after a convo with me

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    OMG! You must read Terry Pratchett. You will ROTFLing. His site is here. Just start with the first Discworld book or pick any one of them really and you'll be hooked for life.
    Hmm. I may have to read a book for the first time in eight years.

I always saw Mike as a "type" of John. This is my old English major coming out but in literature there are a number of character descriptions that are used over and over. John is what is known as an "archetype", the original character of that type in the story. Mike is a close copy of John with his charm and the smirk and his teasing of Elizabeth, even down to his comfort invading her office and her personal space. I think he was put there to make us dumb shippers see that a relationship between her and John would never work. It was a not so clever attempt at transference that fell flat as a day old souffle. But that's just my not so expert opinion coming from 40 years of reading and a masters degree in English. I may have woken up a little cranky. Especially now that it's snowing like a 12 letter word.
    He seemed like John-lite to me. How did he manage to be so unkempt whilst serving in the military?

If the intent was to show us that a relationship with John wouldn't work by having her go on a date with a John type, then it was a failure. What I got from it was that she was interested, but backed out because of a fear of how it would play out. It showed to me that she probably did have an attraction to John (perhaps this was a factor in her eventual rebuke of Mike), but wouldn't act on it unless either i) there were extraordinary circumstances, or ii) he initiated it.

I saw them trying to tell us that Teyla and Elizabeth were friends and they even showed them being "friendly" a couple of times. But, as with a lot of other things, they failed badly.
    And yet it sounded like even Rachel & Torri were keen for more scenes together. Fail.

JM only referred to Kanaan as the "invisible babysitter" after someone called him that in a comment to the blog. Knowing his sense of humor, he was being extremely sarcastic because just like with other things he thought they did a good job of portraying that relationship and with a mental dust of the hands said Teyla got her happy ending. Well yes, she did. But it would have been fun to see a bit more of it.

Warning: I woke up with a plot bunny. Just a snippet. Tune in later.
    The fact that nobody knew whether or not he came with them to Earth speaks volumes

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Thread went down in lunacy, however I do believe the Spanish Inquisition was a good add... it was what I was thinking about.

And it's day 7 today (for me anyway)...

Spoiler:
    Day 8: An episode you’ve watched more than three times
    Day 9: Your favorite male character (who isn’t your fave char)
    Day 10: Your favorite female character (who isn’t your fave char)
    Day 11: Your favorite SG-1 guest star
    Day 12: A scene that had you yelling at the screen
    Day 13: A scene that made you blush
    Day 14: Favorite pairing
    Day 15: Least favorite pairing
    Day 16: Favorite season
    Day 17: Favorite team (Ford or Ronon? Weir or Carter?)
    Day 18: Favorite side character
    Day 19: Most annoying side character
    Day 20: Unpopular opinion time!
    Day 21: Best quote
    Day 22: Worst quote
    Day 23: Saddest character death
    Day 24: Favorite in-show lingo
    Day 25: Favorite kiss
    Day 26: OMG WHY SGA WHY moment
    Day 27: Funniest screen cap
    Day 28: Favorite enemy
    Day 29: Least favorite enemy
    Day 30: One thing you would change
    Day 31: How it should have ended

Day 7: A scene you had to pause during to remind yourself it’s not real

Quite easy question to answer... not a single one.

I was awe-struck in Rising when the city of Atlantis rises from the bottom of the ocean. I literally had my jaw dropping at the visual effects.

Of course, I really wished Doppelganger hadn't been real, but it was... damn it.
    Oooh, I liked that Rising sequence too. Some of the s1 effects weren't overly good, but that one made up for it

Originally posted by Probie View Post
    Day 6: A scene that had you laughing so hard you had to pause.

Don't remember a scene in particular.
    I'm sure I laughed a lot during "Duet". Especially when McKay asked Carson to go to a date.
    Oh no I remember one. When Todd do a joke to Woolsey. When he wants to shake his hand. I didn't see this coming so I laugh. Don' t remember the name of the esisode. I think it's in the season 4.

I told my mom I didn't need her now because I have a new family. She said "it's a good thing. We didn't plan to give you a gift for your birthday so it's ok gor me". Like you can see, she devastated.
    The episode was The Seer, with Colonel Carter. It was meant to illustrate her strength when dealing with the wraith. I guess they must've forgotten Weir had a Queen in her office.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Okay folks... I still have to do some secret_santa stuff, and I should really be working on creating a logo for a party that's being organized three months from now (website has to be finished on the 1st of February - doomed I am), and do homework of sorts for evening school...

But I feel like I should pay some more attention to the muse (she really isn't happy with me at the moment) so I was maybe thinking of doing some short drabbles so hit me with prompts... any character, any ship (I did write McKay/Kavanagh once), any situation...however, I don't do NC17/M.

So, hit me... if you wish to do so... there's also the slight possibility I'll insert Kate at every turn.
    Are you meaning a romantic drabble or friendship? What about Kate counselling Lorne (informally) after he has to work with McKay? Perhaps after Runner. Or maybe after Condemned, when she has to explain the complexities of dealing with two leaders that have different ideas about security?

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post
    I haven't been here in a week and I just have to say you never know what path Sparky will take you down.

TC is one of my boyfriends, and I don't mean that in a good way. My brother calls all the actors I can't stand my boyfriends. Yes, we're a little bit twisted.
    I don't like your boyfriend but I'm quite partial to his wife, or at least i used to be before she married him.

And I leave you with this picture of Joe and one of his buddies:

Awww, thanks for that. I think that's Lazlo. Wasn't he a victim of coyotes? Poor baby.
    A dog killed by coyotes? Huh?

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
    And judging from the fact I'm hearing crickets on the thread, I'm assuming EVERYONE is watching it!
    Not quite
    sigpic

Comment

It was a short scene and his razor obviously had no blade. Mr. SR lol'd. Hee. But it was still Joe with a face full of shaving cream. And the toothbrushing thing was beyond adorkable. Though the boxers were way too long. But on the positive side they were plaid. LOL
      *falls over at the descriptions* OMG, I hope someone has screencaps soon!

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
      Wash your mouth out! JM would never toy with the fans
      *snorts*

He seemed like John-lite to me. How did he manage to be so unkempt whilst serving in the military?

If the intent was to show us that a relationship with John wouldn't work by having her go on a date with a John type, then it was a failure. What I got from it was that she was interested, but backed out because of a fear of how it would play out. It showed to me that she probably did have an attraction to John (perhaps this was a factor in her eventual rebuke of Mike), but wouldn't act on it unless either i) there were extraordinary circumstances, or ii) he initiated it.
      I'll bet that fear of how it would play out was likely due in part to the events of previous episodes like "Common Ground." Having to watch John get fed upon by a Wraith must've ripped poor Elizabeth's heart out!

And yet it sounded like even Rachel & Torri were keen for more scenes together. Fail.
      Never fear, we're gonna find a place for their yoga scene somewhere in S6!

Oooh, I liked that Rising sequence too. Some of the s1 effects weren't overly good, but that one made up for it
      They probably blew their budget early on that scene.

The episode was The Seer, with Colonel Carter. It was meant to illustrate her strength when dealing with the wraith. I guess they must've forgotten Weir had a Queen in her office.
      Weir was willing to face a Wraith Queen in the gateroom, in her office, without the safety of a cage enclosing the Queen. Guess which leader of Atlantis wins that comparison? *evil grin*
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Watching Change of Plans.

OMFG.

That is one BIG trophy.
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Common Ground screamed Sparky, again cause Kolya is an ultimate Sparky shipper. I just wish there was a scene at the end with the two of them. I would have liked to known how together Sparky dealt with it.

Funny I should post it when I am about to write Sparky in an AU version of CG/my crossover where Kolya gets what he wants after Radim sacrifices himself. Elizabeth holds John's hand and runs a hand through his hair as he is getting treated. Did I mention Sparky actually get engaged in this version?
          BALCONIES
          The Breeding Ground of Ships.
          sigpic

Comment

*snorts*
            Call 'em like I see 'em

I'll bet that fear of how it would play out was likely due in part to the events of previous episodes like "Common Ground." Having to watch John get fed upon by a Wraith must've ripped poor Elizabeth's heart out!
            I read on a different thread that Elizabeth would be constantly wringing her hands worrying about John if they got together. Funny, she let him kill himself during The Seige II, and didn't capitulate to Kolya's demands during CG.

Never fear, we're gonna find a place for their yoga scene somewhere in S6!
            I thought they were pushing for a stick fighting/training scene for the two of them?

They probably blew their budget early on that scene.
            Probably. They mustn't have had much left for the final scene in The Storm.

Weir was willing to face a Wraith Queen in the gateroom, in her office, without the safety of a cage enclosing the Queen. Guess which leader of Atlantis wins that comparison? *evil grin*
            But it made Carter look so strong, especially when Shep had to coach her in making command decisions. The ep would've played out the same with Weir, but her & John would've come up with the plan jointly.
            sigpic

Comment

Call 'em like I see 'em
              Always a good thing.

I read on a different thread that Elizabeth would be constantly wringing her hands worrying about John if they got together. Funny, she let him kill himself during The Seige II, and didn't capitulate to Kolya's demands during CG.
              Heh. Oh, she worries all right. But she knows when she has to let him go and do what he needs to do. Just like he knows when he has to let her go. *wibbles*

I thought they were pushing for a stick fighting/training scene for the two of them?
              *headdesk* You're right, I was thinking about how Torri and Rachel took yoga classes together and were always slurping down their chai lattes.

Probably. They mustn't have had much left for the final scene in The Storm.
              Eh, the effects in The Storm weren't that bad. Certainly better than some of the effects in Season 5.

But it made Carter look so strong, especially when Shep had to coach her in making command decisions. The ep would've played out the same with Weir, but her & John would've come up with the plan jointly.
              *grabs a mop to wipe up the sarcasm puddle on the floor*

Comment

Always a good thing.
                Eh, not always. There's a difference between being opinionated and a ass, I can be both of those

Heh. Oh, she worries all right. But she knows when she has to let him go and do what he needs to do. Just like he knows when he has to let her go. *wibbles*
                They both compartmentalise. Which is neessary in their positions, for friendship or otherwise.

*headdesk* You're right, I was thinking about how Torri and Rachel took yoga classes together and were always slurping down their chai lattes.
                I hadn't heard that. Must've been the inspiration for the Teyla/Ronon Echoes scenes

Eh, the effects in The Storm weren't that bad. Certainly better than some of the effects in Season 5.
                The very last pullback was terrible, probably the worst of the first half of the season. I know they changed VFX companies at that point (not related to that shot)

*grabs a mop to wipe up the sarcasm puddle on the floor*
                *floor scull*

(that probably meant nothing to you)

Getting back OT, I have a question regarding SS6:

When Weir comes back, is she still going to be repliWeir, or will they reprogramme her nanites (eventually) to synthesise organic tissue, like Rodney wanted to do initially?
                sigpic

Comment

Eh, not always. There's a difference between being opinionated and a ass, I can be both of those
                  Equal-opportunity offender.

They both compartmentalise. Which is neessary in their positions, for friendship or otherwise.
                  Indeed.

I hadn't heard that. Must've been the inspiration for the Teyla/Ronon Echoes scenes
                  *snickers*

The very last pullback was terrible, probably the worst of the first half of the season. I know they changed VFX companies at that point (not related to that shot)
                  Meh, I think I was too distracted by Angry&Angsty!John to really notice.

Getting back OT, I have a question regarding SS6:

When Weir comes back, is she still going to be repliWeir, or will they reprogramme her nanites (eventually) to synthesise organic tissue, like Rodney wanted to do initially?
                  When they find her, she'll still be human-Replicator Hybrid!Weir, but yes, in a following episode her nanites will be reprogrammed to grow new organic tissue to replace the damage to her brain and the rest of her body. And then the fun really begins...

Comment

Day 7: A scene you had to pause during to remind yourself it’s not real.

Probably was when Colonel Sheppard was fed on by todd when he was captured by Kolya.

Comment

Equal-opportunity offender.
                      If you're being generous, then sure

Indeed.
                      I remember watching an interview with one of the widows after the Columbia space shuttle disaster. Her husband was the pilot. When asked what he would have been thinking, she said he would have compartmentalised (which he was trained to do as a pilot) and focused on the task at hand. That's kinda how I view John.

Meh, I think I was too distracted by Angry&Angsty!John to really notice.
                      It's a pity it's there, it'd have been better if they just faded to black after he yelled out

When they find her, she'll still be human-Replicator Hybrid!Weir, but yes, in a following episode her nanites will be reprogrammed to grow new organic tissue to replace the damage to her brain and the rest of her body. And then the fun really begins...
                      Sounds good. I'm assuming this is after HOM?
                      sigpic

Comment

Don't you just love the fact that in science fiction everything and anything can be fixed? Even the mess PTB made. It will be a lot of work, though, but I think we're going to have a blast.
                        I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Okay, Change of Plans report.

Spoiler:
                          It was lovely. Thoroughly sweet and predictable but just squeaky clean and so cute. The acting was above par. Brooke and Joe had good chemistry. Not too terribly hot, but I don't think it was intended to be. She was new at this and I imagine snuggling with a man not her husband, even if it was Joe, was uncomfortable. So the bed scenes looked a bit stiff, but for married people they were fine. She did a great job for a newbie.

Now the Joe report. We got to see him shave. We got to see him brush his teeth wearing a tee shirt and boxers. There was little sign of John but it was just Joe being Joe. If you've seen any of his con videos or interviews, you know what I mean. He was great with the kids and very very natural.

There was also a Sparky moment or two. One where he said something to his wife like "it's going to be okay" made me have to pause for a bit of a squee. Even Mr. SR said he remembered the "it's going to be okay, Elizabeth" moment. And he made the woobie face a number of times.

I'll probably think of more tomorrow.
                          Thx, SR, for the report! and waiting for the rest of your thoughts, as well
                          Spoiler:
                          Between yours and the whumpers' first impressions (neither of you being appalled by the would-be cheesy-ness ), I'm more enthusiastic. Not that I wouldn't have watched the movie, no matter what, anyway

Other COP reviews from twitter, here

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/818uqd

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/8193t6

Comment

Yep, the rating system is still working. There's a white bar near the top of each page, with a selection of several menus toward the right side: View First Unread, Thread Tools, Search Thread, Rate This Thread, Display. Click on Rate This Thread and select from one star (for Terrible) to five stars (for Excellent).
                            I've never noticed this feature before thx for pointing it out

Coyotes?!?
                            I believe I've read somewhere that was JM's dog? Not Joe's. But I may be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by ForestFern View Post
                              Thx, SR, for the report! and waiting for the rest of your thoughts, as well
                              Spoiler:
                              Between yours and the whumpers' first impressions (neither of you being appalled by the would-be cheesy-ness ), I'm more enthusiastic. Not that I wouldn't have watched the movie, no matter what, anyway

Other COP reviews from twitter, here

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/818uqd

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/8193t6
                              Gahhh, I want to watch that but I can't get it anywhere yet. *grumbles and is cranky*
                              I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

I kind of fell behind on the meme, so I thought I'd catch up now:

Day 5: Your favorite pics of your ships

That's easy:
                                Spoiler:

Day 6: A scene that had you laughing so hard you had to pause

Pretty much anything from Duet - there are just too many, but every debate between Rodney and Laura in Rodney's head had me in stitches. That moment when she took over Rodney's body to save his date with Katie was hilarious. There were other funny moments in the show, but Duet just stands out.

Day 7: A scene you had to pause during to remind yourself it’s not real

First scene in "Search and Rescue". Enter he'shallucinatingit'snotrealhe'sknockedontheheadit'snotreal mantra. Only I don't pause, I fast forwrad.

Day 8: An episode you’ve watched more than three times

Vegas, Quarantine, Common Ground, The Real World, Critical mass, Duet, Echoes, Tao of Rodney, Hot Zone... all of them are character driven. I love those the best.

Rest of the questions are below!

Spoiler:
                                Day 9: Your favorite male character (who isn’t your fave char)
                                Day 10: Your favorite female character (who isn’t your fave char)
                                Day 11: Your favorite SG-1 guest star
                                Day 12: A scene that had you yelling at the screen
                                Day 13: A scene that made you blush
                                Day 14: Favorite pairing
                                Day 15: Least favorite pairing
                                Day 16: Favorite season
                                Day 17: Favorite team (Ford or Ronon? Weir or Carter?)
                                Day 18: Favorite side character
                                Day 19: Most annoying side character
                                Day 20: Unpopular opinion time!
                                Day 21: Best quote
                                Day 22: Worst quote
                                Day 23: Saddest character death
                                Day 24: Favorite in-show lingo
                                Day 25: Favorite kiss
                                Day 26: OMG WHY SGA WHY moment
                                Day 27: Funniest screen cap
                                Day 28: Favorite enemy
                                Day 29: Least favorite enemy