Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

Where did "Sparky" come from? There's an explanation on the profile page of the John/Elizabeth comm on LJ. I'd post a link, but on my iTouch it's like trying to pull teeth without Novocain. Maybe SR or one of the other LJ-era can help with that.
    Indeed I can and hopefully I'll remember how to find it. I know, I'll make a stickie. Anyway it's:

"Sparky" Explanation:

First off, many new S/W fans have asked where the term "Sparky" came from with regards to Sheppard/Weir. This explanation was written by Jackie, a moderator at The Affinity Forum. It includes a link to the very first usage (a joke, I might add) for Sparky on the S/W Yahoogroup:

Some may wonder why the name "Sparky" came about for the John/Elizabeth pairing.

This is the first use of Sparky as a name for the relationship.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sheppa...ir/message/345

Once upon a time, back when the Sheppard_n_Weir mailing list first began, Nos, A.j., and Little Red (the list mum and mods) were pondering a name for the pairing in order to stem the tide of the much feared smushy names (a.k.a. 'Shweir' or 'Johnabeth'). After some discussion, Nos decided to call it "Sparky." As you can see in the above link, it was for totally random reasons. Basically, it was a joke.

However, the name caught on, and what started out as something silly soon became a LEGEND shrouded in mystery among Stargate Atlantis fans. Today, people use "Sparky" without knowing how it came to be - they've gone so far as to invent reasons like "they're electric" and "someone used it in a J/E fic and it caught on" - some, like the former, seem reasonable, while others, like the latter, are what we folks call an "urban legend." The creator herself (Nos) even forgot who invented it, but upon research soon discovered her rightful place as the creator of "Sparky."

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Hi beautiful thread!

There are some newbies and I didn't have fun with them, I'm horrible.

So many vids to watch. I feel nostalgic now.
      Kris: Don't need to say I love your missing moments. You already know it
      sigpic
      Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
        Hi beautiful thread!

There are some newbies and I didn't have fun with them, I'm horrible.

So many vids to watch. I feel nostalgic now.
        Here's another one of my vids.

Comment

Thanks for the ... explanations about "Sparky" ... but it just fits. Shweir??? Nuh uh. SPARKY!!!

I'm workin on my new Sparky fic. Should have it posted in time for dinner! Who wants to eat when there is Sparky AU Fics in the world?!?!

Be back.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinky_Carter View Post
            Here's another one of my vids.[video=youtube;KNZmAsTR7po]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNZmAsTR7po[video]
            Beautiful job!!! That song fits that episode so perfectly!

I'm now convinced I need a better movie making program that Windows Movie Maker.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
              Sparky is purely nonsense and not based on sparks at all. Someone here, SK maybe, has a link. It was invented out of thin air and just stuck. For a long time Ronon/Teyla was also known as Spanky. LOL
              I still call Ronon/Teyla Spanky
              And the explanation that they got the name because sparks flew off the screen whenever they had a scene together is a very plausible one!

Originally posted by Probie View Post
              Well, it never hurts my ego muse and plotbunny to hear it now and then
              It will only inspire them!

Sig by me

Comment

Missing Moments Chapter 45: McKay and Mrs. Miller (aka the one where we find out about alt!Sparky)
                Enjoy!!

Spoiler:
                45: McKay and Mrs. Miller

(during the ep)
                Rod sat down in Elizabeth's office and checked if they were truly alone. "So, Doctor Weir. Do you want to know how your other you is faring?"
                She gave him a polite smile. "Not really, I like my life as it is."
                "So, I guess you and Colonel Sheppard are happily married then?"
                For barely a second she looked at him stumped. "Euhm, no."
                "Ah, so you already divorced."
                "Divorced?" Elizabeth asked surprised and Rod nodded.
                "Oh yeah, God knows why you two ever married. You never saw eye to eye on anything. And besides, our Sheppard is a prick and I always wondered what you saw in him."
                "So, John and I are married?"
                "Were." Rod pointed out. "You were already married when you joined the expedition and constantly bickering, but when you caught him in bed with some blonde alien woman not long after arriving in the city, you filed for divorce."
                Elizabeth gaped at Rodney's double. "Are you serious?"
                "Oh, yes very." He gave her a smile, then suddenly went for his wallet. "You want to see your son?"
                "My son?" She squeaked.
                Rod nodded and handed her a picture. "His name is Nick and he's one of the sweetest kids in the city and he's the only reason you and Sheppard still talk outside of work."
                She stared at the picture with large eyes. The boy on the photo was around four, had her curious, sparkling green eyes and John's messy dark hair.
                "My son..." She whispered.
                Rod gave her a smile and got up. "You can keep the picture."

(after the ep)
                Elizabeth sat on her bed and stared at the picture of her son. She had never really considered starting a family, especially not when leading an expedition of this size and importance, but now that she knew it was possible...
                At that moment John entered and he sat down besides her.
                "Who's that?" He asked as he bopped his head towards the photo.
                She gave him the picture. "Rod told me about him."
                John stared at the photo and suddenly his eyes widened. "Is that... it can't be..."
                She threw him a look that said he was right.
                "That's our son?" John asked, sounding baffled and Elizabeth nodded.
                "Rod told me about..." John swallowed, clearly uncomfortable with the subject.
                "Our failed marriage?" Elizabeth asked and John nodded.
                "Yeah." He turned to her. "But that Sheppard is not me, I could never... ever..."
                She gently cupped his cheek. "I know and I trust you implicitly."
                He gave her a gentle smile and glanced back at the picture. "We do make gorgeous kids though."
                Her soft laugh made his smile grow. "We sure do." But then she turned serious again. "It's made me seriously think about the posibilty of having a family in this city."
                For a few moments he stayed quiet as he stared at the picture, until he eventually whispered. "Me too."

Sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by Kinky_Carter View Post
                  Here's another one of my vids
                  *sobs* OMG. It hurts so good.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
                    Missing Moments Chapter 45: McKay and Mrs. Miller (aka the one where we find out about alt!Sparky)
                    Enjoy!!

Spoiler:
                    45: McKay and Mrs. Miller

(during the ep)
                    Rod sat down in Elizabeth's office and checked if they were truly alone. "So, Doctor Weir. Do you want to know how your other you is faring?"
                    She gave him a polite smile. "Not really, I like my life as it is."
                    "So, I guess you and Colonel Sheppard are happily married then?"
                    For barely a second she looked at him stumped. "Euhm, no."
                    "Ah, so you already divorced."
                    "Divorced?" Elizabeth asked surprised and Rod nodded.
                    "Oh yeah, God knows why you two ever married. You never saw eye to eye on anything. And besides, our Sheppard is a prick and I always wondered what you saw in him."
                    "So, John and I are married?"
                    "Were." Rod pointed out. "You were already married when you joined the expedition and constantly bickering, but when you caught him in bed with some blonde alien woman not long after arriving in the city, you filed for divorce."
                    Elizabeth gaped at Rodney's double. "Are you serious?"
                    "Oh, yes very." He gave her a smile, then suddenly went for his wallet. "You want to see your son?"
                    "My son?" She squeaked.
                    Rod nodded and handed her a picture. "His name is Nick and he's one of the sweetest kids in the city and he's the only reason you and Sheppard still talk outside of work."
                    She stared at the picture with large eyes. The boy on the photo was around four, had her curious, sparkling green eyes and John's messy dark hair.
                    "My son..." She whispered.
                    Rod gave her a smile and got up. "You can keep the picture."

(after the ep)
                    Elizabeth sat on her bed and stared at the picture of her son. She had never really considered starting a family, especially not when leading an expedition of this size and importance, but now that she knew it was possible...
                    At that moment John entered and he sat down besides her.
                    "Who's that?" He asked as he bopped his head towards the photo.
                    She gave him the picture. "Rod told me about him."
                    John stared at the photo and suddenly his eyes widened. "Is that... it can't be..."
                    She threw him a look that said he was right.
                    "That's our son?" John asked, sounding baffled and Elizabeth nodded.
                    "Rod told me about..." John swallowed, clearly uncomfortable with the subject.
                    "Our failed marriage?" Elizabeth asked and John nodded.
                    "Yeah." He turned to her. "But that Sheppard is not me, I could never... ever..."
                    She gently cupped his cheek. "I know and I trust you implicitly."
                    He gave her a gentle smile and glanced back at the picture. "We do make gorgeous kids though."
                    Her soft laugh made his smile grow. "We sure do." But then she turned serious again. "It's made me seriously think about the posibilty of having a family in this city."
                    For a few moments he stayed quiet as he stared at the picture, until he eventually whispered. "Me too."
                    *squees* OMG, Nick! It feels so good.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                      Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!
                      Is there a Sparky calendar is reference every day of the week in a Sparky way? Or are you just making these up as we go?

Because either way, I think my new fic fits the theme for today:

Everybody's Fine

Tada!!! First chapter is up, and evil fic bunny has insisted that there are at least two more coming.

Gotta go run errands. See y'all!

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                        Beautiful job!!! That song fits that episode so perfectly!

I'm now convinced I need a better movie making program that Windows Movie Maker.
                        I tried. Windows Movie Maker just isn't that great. But glad you guys liked it.

Comment

Kris, I still call Ronon/Teyla 'Spanky' too. And your newest Missing Moment made me melt. Squee! Though I want to spork alt!Shep.

ShipperWriter, the Sparky calendar was something we came up with a year or so ago. Here's the lineup:

Sunday - Lazy Day
                          Monday - Canon Day
                          Tuesday - Smut Day
                          Wednesday - Angst Day (though I've started calling it Screw the Angst Day )
                          Thursday - Fluff Day
                          Friday - Pretty Day
                          Saturday - Sparky!Family Day

And the 18th of every month is Sparky Day. We picked that day since the Sparkyrific 'The Real World' was first aired on the 18th (of August in 2006).
                          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                            Is there a Sparky calendar is reference every day of the week in a Sparky way? Or are you just making these up as we go?

Because either way, I think my new fic fits the theme for today:

Everybody's Fine

Tada!!! First chapter is up, and evil fic bunny has insisted that there are at least two more coming.

Gotta go run errands. See y'all!
                            Awww. I can't wait to get the details and love the little twist. I was all set for the angst.

Ha, there you are. Thanks.

Oh, and SK is probably the only one here who knows the Sparky days. I think she has a list. LOL I always get them mixed up. Maybe someone else knows them all.
                            Last edited by Southern Red; 15 September 2010, 03:53 PM. Reason: SK beat me to it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hello Sparkies! Sorry I've been "hit and miss" lately. Life has gotten busy again.

ShipperWriter Great fic! Thank you for sharing - needed some happy Sparky today.

And, speaking of happy, fluffy, Sparky - anyone got some good Sparky fic recs? I had a long, draining, day and could use some "pick-me-up" fluff. Screw the angst though, please.
                              sigpic
                              Signature by Erin87

Comment

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
                                Hello Sparkies! Sorry I've been "hit and miss" lately. Life has gotten busy again.

ShipperWriter Great fic! Thank you for sharing - needed some happy Sparky today.

And, speaking of happy, fluffy, Sparky - anyone got some good Sparky fic recs? I had a long, draining, day and could use some "pick-me-up" fluff. Screw the angst though, please.
                                Well if you don't mind my tooting my own horn, try these: Beautiful and Flowers For Elizabeth
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X