No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hee the forum works in my phone! Anyway, I'm at work (editing a Sweet 16 party for a workshop) but I was thinking about the john/'lizabeth video I still have to finish, and Let's be Friends that I'll start this week.
    My muse is cooperating lately and I was wondering if you guys like Dave Matthews Band and if there is a really sparky song from them. I'm kinda addicted to them, so a sparky song would keep my muse sparking ;p

Comment

Originally posted by cuttingonions View Post
      Hee the forum works in my phone! Anyway, I'm at work (editing a Sweet 16 party for a workshop) but I was thinking about the john/'lizabeth video I still have to finish, and Let's be Friends that I'll start this week.
      My muse is cooperating lately and I was wondering if you guys like Dave Matthews Band and if there is a really sparky song from them. I'm kinda addicted to them, so a sparky song would keep my muse sparking ;p
      Hi C.O., I like the Dave Matthews Band too. Crash into Me is very sparky and a pretty song to boot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puvq5VW7ixE

Comment

Originally posted by cuttingonions View Post
        I like them also and am sure whatever you do will be great.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

On promoting John, he has 4+ years in grade and it seems the SGC has some leeway on expediting promotions; Sam and Cam both made full Colonel (apparently the credits on the DVD movies were messed up; Cam's a full bird too) after 3 years. And he is, technically, "Commander, Allied Forces, Pegasus".
          DDC

Comment

Originally posted by ddc View Post
            On promoting John, he has 4+ years in grade and it seems the SGC has some leeway on expediting promotions; Sam and Cam both made full Colonel (apparently the credits on the DVD movies were messed up; Cam's a full bird too) after 3 years. And he is, technically, "Commander, Allied Forces, Pegasus".
            Cam question
            Spoiler:
            Just curious, when did Cam become a full colonel? I don't remember that.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
              I had a look in the omnipedia section. Mitchell is still listed as a light colonel. From what I recall of Avalon (or whatever 9x01 was called) he was a major when Anubis attacked Earth. Presumably he got promoted about the same time he received the Medal of Honour. And in the Continuum special features, he is still designated Lt Colonel. The issue of the leadership of the team never actually comes up in the movie, oddly. So it's only Carter that has gotten the accelerated promotions. And Major Marks. Major Davis is dragging the chain somewhat - even Janet got promoted from Captain to Major during her seven year stint (although it was never mentioned on screen, her rank insignia just changed). Oh, and General O'Neill - possibly the fastest ever rise from Colonel to three star General in history.

So you could argue Stargate has set the precedent, but it's not based on reality.

Oh, yeah, it's not practical to the storyline. But somewhat unrealistic that a Lt Col is in charge of Atlantis military, given the massive screening everyone'd have to go through to get assigned there.

And also not realistic for John to be going off world all the time, but that's the essence of the show. John should've actually been Carter's chief of staff (as should O'Neill been Hammond's) or there be someone of equal rank holding the position.

If you are going to promote him, I agree you should wait until at least the mid season two parter.

Thats basically how I feel about the whole promotion thing.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerbud View Post
                Hi C.O., I like the Dave Matthews Band too. Crash into Me is very sparky and a pretty song to boot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puvq5VW7ixE
                Oh GOD. I LOVE that song.
                I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post

I like the idea of promoting John after the mid-season 2 parter. (Lorne, too--but for some reason I want him to be Major until John's a Full Bird. Is that just me? Poor Lorne-y). But I wonder--should we do it before Gravity or as a result of Gravity? Might be funny to have Ronon empathing John being all egoistic about it. But I think we could fit it in anywhere in the back half of the season. Or perhaps John is celebrating his promotion ceremony as Gravity starts or something?

But it's a great idea to start mentioning his rank when the City gets cut off in the season finale, too, as a counterpoint to whether Elizabeth can handle stepping in as leader when Woolsey's unable to do it. Not quite a HZ argument but perhaps close...

Sorry I missed so much over the weekend--my nephew's still in town and I was forced into playing 16 hours of Kingdom Hearts and Lego Starwars for PS2--but applause on the caps and the march to higher numbers! Sparkies Rule!
                  Am I the only one to think it's strange to promote him? I mean we had a talk about how quick Carter was promote and now we are doing the same. I'm not against it but it's weird.lol A promotion for Lorne will be good. My mom will love you.lol
                  sigpic
                  Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                    I did a fic like that once. Like many suggested, it was John getting super ticked because Elizabeth overrode his order to retreat. And ended up with them kissing.

I like the idea of promoting John after the mid-season 2 parter. (Lorne, too--but for some reason I want him to be Major until John's a Full Bird. Is that just me? Poor Lorne-y). But I wonder--should we do it before Gravity or as a result of Gravity? Might be funny to have Ronon empathing John being all egoistic about it. But I think we could fit it in anywhere in the back half of the season. Or perhaps John is celebrating his promotion ceremony as Gravity starts or something?

But it's a great idea to start mentioning his rank when the City gets cut off in the season finale, too, as a counterpoint to whether Elizabeth can handle stepping in as leader when Woolsey's unable to do it. Not quite a HZ argument but perhaps close...

Sorry I missed so much over the weekend--my nephew's still in town and I was forced into playing 16 hours of Kingdom Hearts and Lego Starwars for PS2--but applause on the caps and the march to higher numbers! Sparkies Rule!
                    Heee, and yours was literally the only fic like that, that I've read. (you also wrote it after I bugged you to write a kiss - fic, if I recall correctly.) I love that story.

Actually, I was thinking about what you suggested in your comment, only I'm not sure how clear I was regarding my own thoughts and ideas (because I'm still trying them out in my head and sort - of imagining the scenes as I go) -- I thought about Atlantis getting notified that John is up for a promotion. Someone Important (General Landry? Jack? Who should do this) should come over, or John is scheduled to go to earth and be promoted. At the beginning of 'Gravity' there is a toast scene, something like the one we saw in "Aurora", only much much happier. But, I hope you understand what I mean; something intimate, involving only John's close friends (Elizabeth, Rodney, Carson, Ronon, Teyla and Kanaan - because he should definitely be a part of her life in this sort of way; and Woolsey? Anyway. they're having a toast and congratulating John, and he is a little thoughtful because desk job is mentioned, because this is something he never thought would happen - it's a great moment to explore his character in more depth and hint on his issues and fears. This scene could also be a flashback.

Then, we fast forward to present when he is imprisoned, interrogated, and being left utterly alone, in complete quiet and dark, when he has to face himself. In the meantime, his friends are looking for him, and they will eventually find him. I want him to make a full circle and perhaps redefine his goals, his own sense of self worth, the way he sees his duties and his professional growth. I definitely want to tackle his backstory - regarding which I'm really loving the suggestion by VampyreWraith from some time ago - that he was somewhere where he wasn't supposed to be, his mom was coming to pick him up and got killed in a carcrash.

What do you think, guys?

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                      Am I the only one to think it's strange to promote him? I mean we had a talk about how quick Carter was promote and now we are doing the same. I'm not against it but it's weird.lol A promotion for Lorne will be good. My mom will love you.lol
                      My 2 cents about the promotion would be that I'd wait a bit longer, he never wanted to be "The Man" anyway.
                      Even though I think he deserves it, I always like the idea of Shep being the rebel, the underdog fighting TPTB(OK, maybe I'm projecting MY workplace fantasies here....sorry).
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                        Remember that John got promoted at the beginning of S2 which would now be 4 years at that rank. It's a bit early but considering what he's done in the meantime not unheard of. And being military commander of a base like Atlantis would definitely be a Colonel's job. But since it's fiction we can explain it any way we want.

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                        Heee, and yours was literally the only fic like that, that I've read. (you also wrote it after I bugged you to write a kiss - fic, if I recall correctly.) I love that story.

Actually, I was thinking about what you suggested in your comment, only I'm not sure how clear I was regarding my own thoughts and ideas (because I'm still trying them out in my head and sort - of imagining the scenes as I go) -- I thought about Atlantis getting notified that John is up for a promotion. Someone Important (General Landry? Jack? Who should do this) should come over, or John is scheduled to go to earth and be promoted. At the beginning of 'Gravity' there is a toast scene, something like the one we saw in "Aurora", only much much happier. But, I hope you understand what I mean; something intimate, involving only John's close friends (Elizabeth, Rodney, Carson, Ronon, Teyla and Kanaan - because he should definitely be a part of her life in this sort of way; and Woolsey? Anyway. they're having a toast and congratulating John, and he is a little thoughtful because desk job is mentioned, because this is something he never thought would happen - it's a great moment to explore his character in more depth and hint on his issues and fears. This scene could also be a flashback.

Then, we fast forward to present when he is imprisoned, interrogated, and being left utterly alone, in complete quiet and dark, when he has to face himself. In the meantime, his friends are looking for him, and they will eventually find him. I want him to make a full circle and perhaps redefine his goals, his own sense of self worth, the way he sees his duties and his professional growth. I definitely want to tackle his backstory - regarding which I'm really loving the suggestion by VampyreWraith from some time ago - that he was somewhere where he wasn't supposed to be, his mom was coming to pick him up and got killed in a carcrash.

What do you think, guys?
                        I like this idea, especially the flashback part. Plus I'm thinking John should receive a few medals. If Cam got the Medal of Honor, John certainly should also.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red
                          Awww, you had a Sparky moment. *ruffles hair*
                          ha ha yep. I guess I did have a sparky moment. Even in real life sparky can help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                            Remember that John got promoted at the beginning of S2 which would now be 4 years at that rank. It's a bit early but considering what he's done in the meantime not unheard of. And being military commander of a base like Atlantis would definitely be a Colonel's job. But since it's fiction we can explain it any way we want.

I like this idea, especially the flashback part. Plus I'm thinking John should receive a few medals. If Cam got the Medal of Honor, John certainly should also.
                            Unlike me you actually know how these things work. I like my fiction realistic, to a certain degree, but we shouldn't overdo on realism part. If it was done that way, John, and probably all of them, would have been dead already. I think john definitely deserves a promotion - hey he saved the world, and two galaxies how many times? There should be a visible, tangible recognition that he is appreciated. I do like him as an underdog too, but all the things he had done, his bravery and integrity prove that he isn't just an underdog but also a hero (lol, complete hero) and that should be recognized. It's, IMO, a logical progression of things - however he can still feel a little bit like that underdog who accidentally sat in the big glowy chair.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                              Unlike me you actually know how these things work. I like my fiction realistic, to a certain degree, but we shouldn't overdo on realism part. If it was done that way, John, and probably all of them, would have been dead already. I think john definitely deserves a promotion - hey he saved the world, and two galaxies how many times? There should be a visible, tangible recognition that he is appreciated. I do like him as an underdog too, but all the things he had done, his bravery and integrity prove that he isn't just an underdog but also a hero (lol, complete hero) and that should be recognized. It's, IMO, a logical progression of things - however he can still feel a little bit like that underdog who accidentally sat in the big glowy chair.
                              Yeah, if I wanted realism I wouldn't watch SciFi. LOL

And also yeah, our John will never feel completely comfortable being honored but he sure does deserve it. He might even have a moment when he thinks of how proud of him Elizabeth would be if she were herself.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                                Yeah, if I wanted realism I wouldn't watch SciFi. LOL
                                It's not because it's scifi that it's not necessary to be a bit realistic. It's maybe why I didn't like the last season.
                                But for the promotion, I'm ok with it. But please, give a promotion to Lorne.lol
                                sigpic
                                Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                                X