No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over here, golf equals having enough money to pay membership and clubs, balls, and whatnot. And that is equal to having money for it.

Hence why my golfing skills are Wii-only. I don't earn enough to get into actual golfing.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
      I thought Harmony was silly, but cute - one of my guilty pleasure eps!
      Outcast - needed more John back story, but what we got was good. I liked Nancy. The replicator storyline was Joe's idea, if I remember correctly. I love that BTS picture with Joe feeding the horse!
      I feel pretty much the same about outcast and harmony and , i loved the Joe pic with the horse. The part about John coming from a priviledged family didn't really surprise me though.
      sigpic

Comment

I think I read somewhere that Joe didn't imagine Shep as being the "rich kid" either until this ep happened.
        Is there any fic out there where Elizabeth finds out about John's upbringing, or meets Dave and the family? She's probably used to dealing with the monied folk of the world in a diplomatic sense but wonder how that knowledge would impact how she perceived him?
        I remember reading that too... one of the Stargate Magazine interviews, perhaps.

There may be fic of the 'Elizabeth meets David and the rest of Clan Sheppard' vein somewhere, though I haven't seen any. I've got a couple of new chapters for the director's cut of my fic Restoration that will cover such a meeting (set over a Christmas holiday, too! Poor John, LOL!). But it's nowhere close to being done yet.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Keeping Sunday's golf playing in mind, Sheppard's rich kid background didn't come as a surprise at all.
        He plays golf with Rod in McKay and Mrs. Miller, too. Yeah, in retrospect, Outcast does well at explaining that little quirk. Of course, it could just as easily have been that he picked up the game in another way. Initially, I simply passed it off as fitting in with previous hints we've gotten of Genius!Sheppard (passed the Mensa test, reading War and Peace, etc.).
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Over here, golf equals having enough money to pay membership and clubs, balls, and whatnot. And that is equal to having money for it.

Hence why my golfing skills are Wii-only. I don't earn enough to get into actual golfing.
          Ah. Here in Southern California *waves at Lythisrose*, there are a number of public parks that have golf courses where you only need to pay a small fee to play (no membership required); some may offer rentals of golf equipment too.
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
            Ah. Here in Southern California *waves at Lythisrose*, there are a number of public parks that have golf courses where you only need to pay a small fee to play (no membership required); some may offer rentals of golf equipment too.
            we've got the same thing here in nyc, theres a golf course a few blocks away from me, right between 2 cemetaries lol. And then theres another one a couple of miles from me that has mini-golf too. both are owned by the parks department, and not expensive. It wasnt only the golf though that made me think John wasn't a poor boy or anything. He just came off as kinda "preppy" sometimes lol
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
              we've got the same thing here in nyc, theres a golf course a few blocks away from me, right between 2 cemetaries lol. And then theres another one a couple of miles from me that has mini-golf too. both are owned by the parks department, and not expensive. It wasnt only the golf though that made me think John wasn't a poor boy or anything. He just came off as kinda "preppy" sometimes lol
              I never got the "preppy" vibe in the early years, although now that I know his canon background I see that it can fit.
              My own imagined backstory for him, before Outcast, was that he was raised by distant relatives or foster homes when his parents died or didn't want him. Possibly because of the Letters From Pegasus ep where he had no one to send a message to?
              He entered the Air Force to escape a bleak future. They would fund his education and he'd get to fly, see the world and have a surrogate family in his fellow servicemen/women. I thought he developed an easy going charm and used his good looks as a way to get along in life as opposed to being bitter and confrontational.
              I had to readjust alot of my thinking about John and his motivations after Outcast, not that it was a bad thing. Just different.
              sigpic

Comment

I never got the "preppy" vibe in the early years, although now that I know his canon background I see that it can fit.
                My own imagined backstory for him, before Outcast, was that he was raised by distant relatives or foster homes when his parents died or didn't want him. Possibly because of the Letters From Pegasus ep where he had no one to send a message to?
                He entered the Air Force to escape a bleak future. They would fund his education and he'd get to fly, see the world and have a surrogate family in his fellow servicemen/women. I thought he developed an easy going charm and used his good looks as a way to get along in life as opposed to being bitter and confrontational.
                I had to readjust alot of my thinking about John and his motivations after Outcast, not that it was a bad thing. Just different.
                i don't know y I always saw him as kinda preppy, i guess he kinda reminded me of people i went to hs with, I went to a private catholic prep school, so, i dunno, i wasnt really surprised by it.

Add: Most of the people I went to HS with weren't near as wealthy as John was shown to be or anything like that, its just to me John never came across as a poor boy, or someone who had to struggle financially.
                Last edited by VampyreWraith; 14 July 2010, 04:10 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                  Not a fan of Harmony though I like actress Jodelle Ferland. But I hate gimmicky things like the hero-becomes-the-fool-fool-becomes-the-hero type stuff that happened at the end of that. Typically used when the Hero is overly egoistic and the fool is beaten upon, but here, John totally didn't deserve that. Boo.

No mention of Elizabeth. One of my biggest gripes in Outcast, because I was hoping we'd get a parallel somewhere, but we didn't. However, I did like Nancy and the background with Sheppard--particularly his conversation with his brother. And Ronon showing up and being supportive of John just by being there was a nice addition to Ronon's character.

But the fact that Elizabeth didn't get mentioned in an episode:

1) Where John had to be notified by his commander he'd lost someone
                  2) Where John suffered a personal heartbreak
                  3) Where John had to deal with a replicator on Earth
                  4) Where said replicator was created because Replicator creator had lost someone

Was crap.
                  That was one thing I didn't like about Harmony also. I hated what they did to John and it was completely uncalled for especially since he's never been shown as being arrogant before.

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                  We outta have a 'we know who he was REALLY thinking of game'. Maybe slightly angsty, but pictures like this from The Seed

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...-5x02-2445.jpg

Definitely can be interpreted to have Elizabeth/Sparky moments. We outta see how many we can come up with in the post-Lizzie S4/S5 eppies. I bet lots more than people would think.
                  {mod Snip}

I think I read somewhere that Joe didn't imagine Shep as being the "rich kid" either until this ep happened.
                  Is there any fic out there where Elizabeth finds out about John's upbringing, or meets Dave and the family? She's probably used to dealing with the monied folk of the world in a diplomatic sense but wonder how that knowledge would impact how she perceived him?
                  I read that too but I think they may have been projecting Joe's own background onto Sheppard which IMHO shows lack of imagination.

Around here everybody plays golf. We even have golf teams in public schools and there are plenty of public courses. In the military it's almost required. It's just a way to interact within the chain of command outside the office. All the military bases have golf courses. In fact the President frequently plays on the Army-Navy course here.

i don't know y I always saw him as kinda preppy, i guess he kinda reminded me of people i went to hs with, I went to a private catholic prep school, so, i dunno, i wasnt really surprised by it.

Add: Most of the people I went to HS with weren't near as wealthy as John was shown to be or anything like that, its just to me John never came across as a poor boy, or someone who had to struggle financially.
                  Again I think that's mostly Joe. Preppy, Catholic, private school. There's a certain attitude that's genetic and he's got it in his blood. He epitomizes I think all the good things about growing up privileged with none of the negative.
                  Last edited by TameFarrar; 15 July 2010, 09:29 AM. Reason: do not discuss other fans
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I didn't know anything about joe or his backround when i watched the show, its funny how some things just carry over without actually intending it.

The dude who playes the father in the Twilight Saga went to the same HS I did, i never met him or anything cuz he graduated the yr before I started, i think. I thought it was soo funny when i got the grad news book the school sends out and I saw him in there.

On a side note, this sorta stray that i feed just had 2 itty bitty kittens, they are soo cute. Its not the first time shes had kittens around my house, i find the kittens homes and keep meaning to her fixed but everytime i want to shes either pregnant or nursing.
                    Last edited by VampyreWraith; 14 July 2010, 05:56 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Well... Howdy strangers!!!!! I've missed a bunch. KR sounds like you had a blast meeting Miss Torri. Maybe I should get to a con???? Love all the art work for season 6. Real life has been kicking my butt, I don't know if I can find the time to write two full episodes (at how many pages a pop?) with everything that's going on. I've missed all y'all a bunch, I'll try and stick around some and set for a spell.
                      "I only understand about 1% of what she says half of the time."

Comment

I think a lot of fans held similar notions of John's background before it was canonized in Outcast.

Heh! Another private Catholic school brat here! (I was in from elementary through high school) While most people's families were financially comfortable, I don't think anyone was really swimming in gold like Scrooge McDuck, if you take my meaning.
                        {mod Snip}

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                        I read that too but I think they may have been projecting Joe's own background onto Sheppard which IMHO shows lack of imagination.
                        *snorts* That's for sure.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                        Again I think that's mostly Joe. Preppy, Catholic, private school. There's a certain attitude that's genetic and he's got it in his blood. He epitomizes I think all the good things about growing up privileged with none of the negative.
                        Thank goodness for all of us!

Originally posted by pkprd869 View Post
                        Well... Howdy strangers!!!!! I've missed a bunch. KR sounds like you had a blast meeting Miss Torri. Maybe I should get to a con???? Love all the art work for season 6. Real life has been kicking my butt, I don't know if I can find the time to write two full episodes (at how many pages a pop?) with everything that's going on. I've missed all y'all a bunch, I'll try and stick around some and set for a spell.
                        Heya! Haven't seen you around here for a while! Yes, you should go to a con sometime, they're fun!

If you're really sure you won't be able to do your episodes, let Eri and SR know so they can assign them to someone else. Hey, we know real life can be a bear sometimes, so don't worry about it. *huggles*
                        Last edited by TameFarrar; 15 July 2010, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                          I think a lot of fans held similar notions of John's background before it was canonized in Outcast.

Heh! Another private Catholic school brat here! (I was in from elementary through high school) While most people's families were financially comfortable, I don't think anyone was really swimming in gold like Scrooge McDuck, if you take my meaning.

LOL I was in from elementary through college, I ended up going to a catholic University too. Yeah I didn't really know anyone who was swimming in gold lol , though there were quite a few who liked to pretend
                          sigpic

Comment

LOL I was in from elementary through college, I ended up going to a catholic University too. Yeah I didn't really know anyone who was swimming in gold lol , though there were quite a few who liked to pretend
                            Ah, the poseurs. There's just no getting away from them, is there? *joins in the *

Comment

I'm with you on this one.
                              Here golf= money money money or credit for poor people.lol
                              I tried once with the boss of my mom and I just saw the price for the club.....Too expensive.

I won't give all the details about my opinion for Harmony and Outcast. I don't like them but nothing can beat "Trio" or "EATG".
                              sigpic
                              Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by pkprd869 View Post
                                *grabs pkprd and dances around* Hey stranger. I was just thinking about you.

And by all means if the writing will be a burden let us know but it will be a while before we get to your eps. Why don't you start by writing out a few scenes from the show to see how it will flow for you. Some of us did the beginning of Echoes down to the commercial break (when Elizabeth sees the burned man). It was a real eye opener on how long it is. It's about a page per minute.
                                sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Working...
                                X