Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
    The main reason i think most shows drag ships out is because even though there a lot of people who like romance or relationships on tv and want to see their favorite couple together; i think there may also be a lot more people who really don't care either way if a couple gets together on a show or not and theres also a lot of people who would rather not see any sort of relationship on a show thats is not built around a relationship format. So usually TPTB drag it out with hints and innuendo and try to please everyone so everyone can see what they want.
    But people who don't like the relationship get totally annoyed by the innuendos and hints...

Quoting is working fine for me. (I'm on a Mac with Firefox.)

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

Originally posted by Fionnait View Post
      But people who don't like the relationship get totally annoyed by the innuendos and hints...

Quoting is working fine for me. (I'm on a Mac with Firefox.)
      Some get annoyed, true, but are usually ok as long as its not too overt (Vala)(sorry), and as long as they really dont think its going to go anywhere serious they will keep watching even if they moan and complain.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fionnait View Post
        Or how about "Thank you, I appreciate that, but you really don't need to do that." Big kiss!
        That's what I'd say to bf. (Probably followed by an "off you go now" and a slap on the bottom, but that would not be very Elizabeth )
        LOL!

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
        Not just you - I thought something was wrong with my computer. *shakes it again*
        Oh good, at least I know I'm not going insane!

ETA: Looks like it's working again, but font sizes are still being a little weird. Hmm...

The main reason i think most shows drag ships out is because even though there a lot of people who like romance or relationships on tv and want to see their favorite couple together; i think there may also be a lot more people who really don't care either way if a couple gets together on a show or not and theres also a lot of people who would rather not see any sort of relationship on a show thats is not built around a relationship format. So usually TPTB drag it out with hints and innuendo and try to please everyone so everyone can see what they want.
        And usually when that happens, they end up pissing off everybody, as no one in the audience really gets what they wants.
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Yeah, my font's gone all wonky...

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
          Or a PG evening routine. I mean good grief, even on the commentary they made suggestive comments about the end scene in Coup D'Etat. All you would have to add to that was him telling her not to be long that he would be waiting.

In fact, that's an idea. How would we incorporate Sparky moments of RST into the show as it was written?

Misbegotten: The defending my honor scene. John tells her that it's his job to defend her. "Nobody criticizes someone I love and gets away with it. Nobody."
          Hrm...this could be fun...

The Tower:

SHEPPARD: We got the drones, we got a few Jumpers; I even got the girl.
          WEIR (knowingly): You got the girl... *raises eyebrow*
          SHEPPARD: Uh, well, I mean I *could* have got the girl. I turned her down. As I already...have...a...you know.
          WEIR: *she smirks at him* What did you offer them in return for the drones and the Jumpers?
          SHEPPARD: A supply of medicines and an IDC if they need to reach us. We also offered to help `em come up with a new way of running things when the time comes.
          WEIR: They didn't offer you King?
          SHEPPARD: Uh, I turned that down too.
          WEIR: *smile growing* You did.
          SHEPPARD: Didn't need it. Got everything I want right here.

(Elizabeth smiles at him for a moment, then they both look out over the ocean.)

THE END
          Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Here's a proof that a relationship can be done well in asci fi show - even though Roslin and Adama are not among my fav couples, even though I don't even like Roslin, I appreciated their relationship and the way it was done.

Proof, a great video.

And after that, I'll try putting together an inspirational fanmix for our Season 6.
            I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
              LOL!

Oh good, at least I know I'm not going insane!

ETA: Looks like it's working again, but font sizes are still being a little weird. Hmm...

And usually when that happens, they end up pissing off everybody, as no one in the audience really gets what they wants.
              IMO a lot of people only get really pissed off when there is a lot of ambiguity left at the end of the series regarding a possible relationship/s. If there is some sort of final resolution one way or the other most people really wont care that much at the end.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                Here's a proof that a relationship can be done well in asci fi show - even though Roslin and Adama are not among my fav couples, even though I don't even like Roslin, I appreciated their relationship and the way it was done.
                Almost all the relationships on BSG were done great. Oh, look, they had relationships and even babies and it didn't screw the whole show up!

Oh, and I do want to add, that Scully and Mulder being in a relationship was not what made the second movie bad. It was actually quite nicely done. It was just that the story was boring *G*

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

Anuna That's from BSG right? I need to watch that show. I downloaded some eps off of iTunes just haven gotten around to watching them.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post

The Tower:

SHEPPARD: Uh, well, I mean I *could* have got the girl. I turned her down. As I already...have...a...you know.
                    WEIR: *she smirks at him* What did you offer them in return for the drones and the Jumpers?
                    SHEPPARD: A supply of medicines and an IDC if they need to reach us. We also offered to help `em come up with a new way of running things when the time comes.

THE END
                    Love it. I always thought he kicked himself a bit there at the got the girl part and boy did he start to backpedal. Plus the having everything he needed thing was implied by that little bounce. Hee.

Plus by some reasoning since they were standing next to each other they had to be in wuv. *iz bad*
                    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

stargate doesn't really do current relationships well, especially between lead characters. I usually like the backstory relationships they do for the characters. Daniel and Sha re' (even though that wasn't really backstory), Jack and Sara, Rush and is wife (i really liked the episode Human, probably 1 of my favorite sgu eps), Teal'c/Ishta/Shanuk?/wife whose name i can't spell were good; even John and Nancy had good chemistry together.

Add: By well i mean they don't follow through, or don't develop they ones the create enough.
                      sigpic

Comment

All this talk of ships left, right and center annoys me... it even goes as far as to drive me out of my favorite threads... -- she says in the Sparky thread.

What?!? I like it here okay... you guys are awesome (and think I'm cool).

I'll throw in my 2 cents from atop the fence:

I don't watch for ship. If it's there and done well, I won't mind one way or another. If it's not there and there's chemistry between characters (in either slash or het-form) and it comes across well, I again won't mind one way or another.

But when they dance around the subject, play with it, add innuendo left, right and center and go nowhere - that totally and utterly destroys my viewing pleasure.

The whole Sam/Jack fiasco annoyed me beyond reason and almost made me stop watching SG1 altogether. I hate the relationship with a vengeance.

When SGA started I was unaware of the intention of TPTB to ship the hero with the alien babe - cliché much. Lucky for me I wasn't aware. So, I watched SGA, seeing different characters, different people and I saw the relationships form as the season progressed. Yeah, that cave-scene in Rising was sexually tinted - music included - but it felt like a one off, especially as afterwards nothing happens with that.

I didn't immediately have any favorites. I liked them all quite equally, soon realizing Teyla was the favorite character. She was an intriguing character and I was eager to learn more about the Athosians and about Teyla (still wondering who she really is now, after all these years). And then The Gift happened and well... Claire happened. But you all know that tale...

Anyway, onwards with the ship...

I loved the dynamic between Elizabeth and the rest of the expedition, between Elizabeth and Sheppard's team, and her and him. There was chemistry there and I liked that. It added spice to the mix. It had a natural growth as far as I'm concerned. No one was pushing the two characters together, it was just there. It just is.

When I ship characters - there has to be something there for me to start from. And I do prefer it if it's not on screen. If it is, then we're going back to my starting point... and as far as the SG-peeps goes - they just don't do relationships well.

Anyway, just my 2 cents...

Edit:

Oh, and as far as ships go that I like and are almost all left to the interpretation of the viewer, except for a few odd ones:

Elizabeth/John
                        Teyla/Kate
                        Cadman/Beckett
                        Mckay/Katie
                        Kate/John
                        Kate/John/Elizabeth
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post

The Tower:

THE END
                          SQUEE! Just the right amount of cuteness without overdoing it.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                          Love it. I always thought he kicked himself a bit there at the got the girl part and boy did he start to backpedal. Plus the having everything he needed thing was implied by that little bounce. Hee.

Plus by some reasoning since they were standing next to each other they had to be in wuv. *iz bad*
                          If you iz bad, then I iz bad too.

Originally posted by Anuna View Post

Proof, a great video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=papSqNP1S6I

And after that, I'll try putting together an inspirational fanmix for our Season 6.
                          Frak yeah. BSG wasn't afraid to do ship well, in all its squeeful joys and sometimes dysfunctional permutations.

IMO a lot of people only get really pissed off when there is a lot of ambiguity left at the end of the series regarding a possible relationship/s. If there is some sort of final resolution one way or the other most people really wont care that much at the end.
                          Unless the resolution itself is frakked up. Case in point: 24. Last season, they finally got Jack together with Renee Walker. It was gritty (with plenty of dark history for the both of them) and wonderful and then
                          Spoiler:
                          the producers had Renee shot by a damn sniper across the street from Jack's apartment, made Jack carry Renee in a bloody sheet to the hospital where she died. Epic level suckage.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          I don't watch for ship. If it's there and done well, I won't mind one way or another. If it's not there and there's chemistry between characters (in either slash or het-form) and it comes across well, I again won't mind one way or another.

But when they dance around the subject, play with it, add innuendo left, right and center and go nowhere - that totally and utterly destroys my viewing pleasure.
                          This. Fortunately, I loved John and Elizabeth far too much to stop watching altogether.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          When SGA started I was unaware of the intention of TPTB to ship the hero with the alien babe - cliché much. Lucky for me I wasn't aware. So, I watched SGA, seeing different characters, different people and I saw the relationships form as the season progressed. Yeah, that cave-scene in Rising was sexually tinted - music included - but it felt like a one off, especially as afterwards nothing happens with that.
                          Whereas things just kept slowly snowballing with John and Elizabeth after The Storm/The Eye. Nobody can convince me that there wasn't anything there.
                          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Scary Kitty I haven't really watched 24 (watched a few eps in the first season), but that does sound messed up for people who liked that pairing.

Or either character in general
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                              Whereas things just kept slowly snowballing with John and Elizabeth after The Storm/The Eye. Nobody can convince me that there wasn't anything there.
                              Exactly that.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

*sneaks in*
                                hello sparkies! still remember me?
                                i'm sooooo very far behind, i don't think i'll ever catch up.

just wanted to pop in and say hello....i'll be better about posting and stuff, i promise!

i miss you all!!!!

*sneaks out*
                                *runs back in* I forgot to say....SHORE LEAVE (and TORRI) WAS AMAZING!!!!!
                                *runs out*
                                My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X