Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
    I remember seeing the wraith sucker for the first time and It creeped me out. I was 14 yrs old and seeing a guy get the life sucked outta Him was not pretty
    My thoughts when that happened were of the kind that SGA would become more scarier and darker maybe than SG1 - but in SG1 we had the Goa'uld Amaunet enter Sha're's body so I guess it was pretty much equal in tone in hindsight. Then again... SGA didn't deliver what it started in the end, while SG1 sorta did.

Originally posted by Eri13
    FH, as an added bonus Teyla has some good roles in Exogenesis and I think The Chosen. She's a little tougher in Halcyon but I don't really remember, it wasn't one of my favorites. She's nifty in Mirror, Mirror, but it's a little Spanky heavy but it's a little OOC for some of them. Um, I also don't really remember the one where they meet the Wraith AU people--SK? I know she was prominent in that one, too.
    I think I saw Exogenesis at the Forbidden Planet when I was last in London. I'll be back next week to go and see Les Misérables which is in the general area of FP. If we have time I'll hop back in to check if I can get my hands on one of these SGA books. Might as well give em a try.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by nephtys59 View Post
      I already am ...

Guess JG really hates Sheppard and the others, to twist them and kill canon that way.
      The fact that MGM authorizes her to do so, really makes me sick ... I'm depressed.
      I go back watching Bones and forget about Stargate until I'm not angry anymore ...
      As far as I'm concerned, a real fan of the characters would not corrupt them for their own personal agenda. So yeah, she must hate Sheppard and the others.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      No, my fellow Teyla fans. I don't actually have that much courage.
      Fellow fans are a better judge anyway.

Retconning - what does that mean exactly? I've seen it pop up before but I've never been entirely sure what it means.
      Wikipedia has kind of a dry and academic definition, while TV Tropes unleashes its typical snark.

Always good to know. Thanks.
      *salutes* Glad to help.

Oh, how much fun the fanwank will be...
      Don't worry, the bunker is fully stocked.

Or love them so much she wants to be them. *shrug* A bit like TPTW of SGA.
      *shakes head* Even we haven't taken our obsession that far...

Not angry anymore - that may take a while. I'm still pretty p'd off about what they did to Atlantis in 4 and 5 (offing my third favorite character, killing my favorite and ignoring my second favorite doesn't help the cause of course).
      I've turned my anger towards constructive outlets. Like Atlantis Rising.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
        I think she's going to the Mediterranean--a make-up for the Florida holiday that got snowed in...
        Oh, sweet! Just watch out for erupting volcanoes for the plane trips over there and back!

FH, as an added bonus Teyla has some good roles in Exogenesis and I think The Chosen. She's a little tougher in Halcyon but I don't really remember, it wasn't one of my favorites. She's nifty in Mirror, Mirror, but it's a little Spanky heavy but it's a little OOC for some of them. Um, I also don't really remember the one where they meet the Wraith AU people--SK? I know she was prominent in that one, too.
        Entanglement. Yeah, that one was pretty good, too.

My thoughts when that happened were of the kind that SGA would become more scarier and darker maybe than SG1 - but in SG1 we had the Goa'uld Amaunet enter Sha're's body so I guess it was pretty much equal in tone in hindsight. Then again... SGA didn't deliver what it started in the end, while SG1 sorta did.
        Yeah, I also got the 'scarier than the Goa'uld' vibe from the Wraith; I thought they were going to be a lot more Lovecraftian in tone. Sadly, that didn't happen.

I think I saw Exogenesis at the Forbidden Planet when I was last in London. I'll be back next week to go and see Les Misérables which is in the general area of FP. If we have time I'll hop back in to check if I can get my hands on one of these SGA books. Might as well give em a try.
        Whoo hoo!
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

"You realize that I could get us into all sorts of trouble... right?"

Oh, John.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
            Wikipedia has kind of a dry and academic definition, while TV Tropes unleashes its typical snark.
            Oye, lots of retconning going on... some better than others. Prefer the TV Trope snark over wiki's definition but a good place to start before moving onto the Trope.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Oye, lots of retconning going on... some better than others. Prefer the TV Trope snark over wiki's definition but a good place to start before moving onto the Trope.
              Oh, indeed. I especially liked this little gem from the TV Tropes page:

A Retcon may be used as part of an Armed With Canon campaign launched by one author against the work of another author in the same Shared Universe. Over-use of Retcon can result in Continuity Snarl. It can also result in your readers and fans approaching the work with a certain degree of skepticism, cynicism or even complete disinterest, especially if you tend to obviously and quickly Retcon away that which turns out to be unpopular or drastically challenges or changes the status quo — after all, why get involved in your latest Crisis Crossover Event which promises to Change Everything Forever and that Nothing Will Be The Same Again if there's a good chance it'll all just be Ret Conned away after a short period of time?
              *snorts* Gee, doesn't that sound familiar?

Comment

*cough*

I posted this on my LJ last night, and Eri was kind enough to indulge me in my insanity, so I got brave and thought others might like to play.... please forgive me if this is not welcome.

I was traveling for work yesterday, and on the way home I was listening to the LotR soundtrack and got to thinking about this LotR fanfic I read several years ago where the author had set the story in the modern world with most of the characters being reincarnated versions of the LotR characters. My mind took a sidetrail thinking, ok, if our Atlantis characters were reincarnated versions of the LotR characters, who would they be?

Four of them slid into place rather quickly. Elizabeth as Arwen Evenstar, John as Aragorn, Teyla as Eowyn, Ronon as Eomer, and *cough* Rodney as Gimli. Beyond that though I kinda got stuck. Eri proposed a different lineup that I liked, though keeping John and Elizabeth as Aragorn and Arwen. What are your thoughts (other than that I am crazy)?
                - Life after Stargate -
                Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                sigpic

Comment

*cracks up at the idea of Rodney as Gimli*

But who would be the Hobbits? Especially Frodo and Sam.

Then there's Gollum...

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                    Does that mean there will be a big event in October? (What happened with previous vacations and big events, what is that about?)
                    I was somewhere on vacay when news came out about the kiss in TLG, the news that Torri had been fired, and the leak of Adrift and Lifeline. So I expect the books to be released once again while I am gone.

You darn well better check in! Burning up the forum just won't be as much fun without you! LOL!

A cruise, eh? Where are you going?

You mean a big event besides my birthday and Halloween? *snickers*

You and me both!
                    I am indeed going to the Med...Italy, Greece, Turkey and Monaco. But I will check in when I have a free day. We have several "at sea" days when I will be lounging in my stateroom. I will count on all of you to continue burning it down while I am playing jetsetter. Our vacations also coincide with Sept. 11, the beltway sniper, hurricane Katrina and I forget what else. But I'm sure there's no reason for concern.
                    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                      I was somewhere on vacay when news came out about the kiss in TLG, the news that Torri had been fired, and the leak of Adrift and Lifeline. So I expect the books to be released once again while I am gone.
                      To match the level of those bombshells, it'd have to be an announcement about the movies. Or maybe the fate of SGU.

I am indeed going to the Med...Italy, Greece, Turkey and Monaco. But I will check in when I have a free day. We have several "at sea" days when I will be lounging in my stateroom. I will count on all of you to continue burning it down while I am playing jetsetter. Our vacations also coincide with Sept. 11, the beltway sniper, hurricane Katrina and I forget what else. But I'm sure there's no reason for concern.
                      *glomps and clings*

Comment

Naughty. Works for me.
                        Aw, thanks

Maybe I should ask to give me a few good reasons why I should read these books?

I haven't read any book of SGA though... so if I were to start now why would I want to pick these up?
                        Join the club. I've never actually seen one either - I guess one buys them on the net?

Stick with the books that were written by Whitelaw and Christensen; Chosen was okay, Blood Ties was a little cracky but still fun, Exogenesis was pretty cool, and Casualties of War kicked ass (and won an award, too).

The lovers of gen-style storytelling will not be so amused, however. I can just see the bloodbath coming now...
                        Is CoW the one that's supposed to be a good Weir novel?

'Gateship One'? *snorts* And the irony being that Gateship was indeed the Ancients' name for them.

John's got the right idea with 'Puddle Jumper' though. A ship is a vessel that is large enough to carry smaller vessels on it. The Puddle Jumpers aren't that big. Therefore, they cannot be called ships.
                        I thought it was original until I looked it up, and realised that it was probably John's piloting background that came up with the name. Given that he'd never even seen the Stargate, much less heard of it, until a few hours prior, I doubt he'd be familiar with the term 'puddle' for the event horizon.

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                        *cough*

I posted this on my LJ last night, and Eri was kind enough to indulge me in my insanity, so I got brave and thought others might like to play.... please forgive me if this is not welcome.

I was traveling for work yesterday, and on the way home I was listening to the LotR soundtrack and got to thinking about this LotR fanfic I read several years ago where the author had set the story in the modern world with most of the characters being reincarnated versions of the LotR characters. My mind took a sidetrail thinking, ok, if our Atlantis characters were reincarnated versions of the LotR characters, who would they be?

Four of them slid into place rather quickly. Elizabeth as Arwen Evenstar, John as Aragorn, Teyla as Eowyn, Ronon as Eomer, and *cough* Rodney as Gimli. Beyond that though I kinda got stuck. Eri proposed a different lineup that I liked, though keeping John and Elizabeth as Aragorn and Arwen. What are your thoughts (other than that I am crazy)?
                        My thoughts are ........... I've never seen it, sorry, even though parts of it were filmed not very far from where I live. In my defence, it is extremely long.

You have me seriously concerned now. Concerned enough to wonder if we should be having a prayer vigil for your (& Mr. SR's) safe return. Please return with only happy memories and many vacation snaps
                        sigpic

Comment

Um. Don't throw sticks at me, but I kind of hate Arwen. I see her as way, way too passive. Also, the Aragorn/Arwen ship in the movies did absolutely nothing for me. A complete lack of chemistry, just as another ship we know.... (movie!Eowyn had more chemistry with Aragorn). *runs and hides*

@SR - also, when you're back you might hear a completely different news regarding the books. *ebil grin*
                          I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Um. Don't throw sticks at me, but I kind of hate Arwen. I see her as way, way too passive. Also, the Aragorn/Arwen ship in the movies did absolutely nothing for me. A complete lack of chemistry, just as another ship we know.... (movie!Eowyn had more chemistry with Aragorn). *runs and hides*

@SR - also, when you're back you might hear a completely different news regarding the books. *ebil grin*
                            I get Arwen and Eowyn mixed up so I'm good with any ship in that movie.

And yeah, the usual pattern is that something horrible happens back home while we're safe and sound. I'm hoping we've broken the pattern this time with the disaster stuff but big news on the books would be nice.
                            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

And yeah, the usual pattern is that something horrible happens back home while we're safe and sound. I'm hoping we've broken the pattern this time with the disaster stuff but big news on the books would be nice.
                              Oooo, best leave LOTR shipping alone. I loved Arwen. Loved Eowyn, too, but I've been a devotee of Arwen since I read the books in 7th grade and thought the casting and chemistry was good. :3 Different viewpoints, I guess.

My list full on as proposed was to have Arwen: Elizabeth
                              Aragorn: John
                              Legolas: Teyla (okay, female elf)
                              Gimli: Ronon (okay, tall dwarf)
                              Frodo: Rodney
                              Sam: Zelenka
                              Merry: Carson
                              Pippin: Keller
                              Theoden: Caldwell
                              Eomer: Lorne

Or was Rodney too fractious to be a Hobbit?

Y'all, I'm tired. There are not enough hours in the day to do everything I need (or want) to do.
                              Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                                Is CoW the one that's supposed to be a good Weir novel?
                                Yup.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                                I thought it was original until I looked it up, and realised that it was probably John's piloting background that came up with the name. Given that he'd never even seen the Stargate, much less heard of it, until a few hours prior, I doubt he'd be familiar with the term 'puddle' for the event horizon.
                                True. Not bad for a washed up former Special Ops rotor pilot, eh?

We can but only hope we'll have different news...

*glomps and clings some more*

Oooo, best leave LOTR shipping alone. I loved Arwen. Loved Eowyn, too, but I've been a devotee of Arwen since I read the books in 7th grade and thought the casting and chemistry was good. :3 Different viewpoints, I guess.

My list full on as proposed was to have Arwen: Elizabeth
                                Aragorn: John
                                Legolas: Teyla (okay, female elf)
                                Gimli: Ronon (okay, tall dwarf)
                                Frodo: Rodney
                                Sam: Zelenka
                                Merry: Carson
                                Pippin: Keller
                                Theoden: Caldwell
                                Eomer: Lorne

Or was Rodney too fractious to be a Hobbit?

Y'all, I'm tired. There are not enough hours in the day to do everything I need (or want) to do.
                                Hmm, I keep thinking Rodney might be too fractious for Frodo. We're still missing a Gandalf, too...

Comment

Working...
                                X