Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    Actually, I think part of the explanation for John's sexual confusion includes the guy from Phantoms. There was talk of him being a lover not just a friend. Obviously, this concept lacks understanding of the band of brothers relationship.
    Did they misread it as Leave No Man's Behind?? Heck, if they're going to say John had a thing for that guy, he may as well have had one for Woolsey as well I assume (I'm not military myself) that there is a deep bond between servicemen & women, forged from the experiences they've had together, that goes beyond a simple friendship. It annoys me that someone is usuing that for a twist in a novel

Frankly I don't think the idea that this wasn't her first child ever crossed the writers' minds. They just didn't get into thinking all that much about what came before. I think they thought of her as being much younger than the actress.
    It would've never crossed my mind either. Planet Kidkill would've been extremely hard for her to visit if that were the case

I guess they thought all that was off screen. LOL Plus they also said they had trouble keeping their hands off each other.
    It's like they don't want people to ship, until they do and get annoyed when we don't.....

And any characterization of Teyla as a bed hopper or someone who is casual about "relationships" violates canon in a big way. But all the talk about Kirk would make John the polyamorous one. LOL
    *snort*

*snort* Actually as I understand it, the person at MGM who approves the books is just that, one person. They have to read all the books and check for accuracy, etc. I think right now they are waiting to hear back on the first Legacy book. I feel sorry for that poor person but it just makes the whole process ridiculous. I've heard through the grapevine that there is growing skepticism among all fans about how canon is being treated in these books.
    I don't know now, it sounds like a comedy, it could be good for a laugh

Originally posted by nephtys59 View Post
    I was not a fan of Katie as well.
    She was a scientist, damn it, and she behaved like a school girl at her first crush.
    As to Rodney wanting to get serious with her, it seemed a little too rushed to me and surely I couldn't find a reason why Rodney would spend his life with that kind of woman.
    I believe he chose "reverse gear" with her, just because he acted like a fool during the quarantine alert and he realized he wasn't mature enough for a serious relationship.

As to Rodney - Jennifer, well ... I liked their relationship and how it started and the way he told her "I love you" was very tender to me. So don't kill me, but I'm a McKeller fan

The "Running Up That Hill" video is priceless and is now one of my favourites.
    I can't wait to be on holidays starting next week because I have in mind a couple of Sheppard-Weir videos I really would like to complete ... and I want to write fics too!
    To be fair to Katie, and Rodney, they're both geeks. I can't exactly see either of them hussying it up in earlier life. A certain amount of awkwardness is expected, both with their interactions towards each other, and to other people. Which I suppose was the initial problem I had with McKeller - Rodney seemed to be 'hey, I'm a geek and I just got a date with one of the cheerleaders' and more infatuated with the idea than the person. I think McKeller has the basis of a good ship, but it suffered a lot from Keller's extremely weak writing in s4, and the blam!kapow! start. Its interesting to compare how Rodney acted with Katie vs Jen - with Katie, he tried to act like a better man, with Jen, he tried to act like a different man.

Regardless, they're canon, with no clouds on the horizon as at the end of s5. In fact, if you use TLM as a possible hint, they might get very serious indeed. So breaking them up seems unwarranted.

So does Safari. Pfffftttt! And there's top sites. How can you not looovveee top sites? If you try top sites, you will never use Firefox again. *nods*
    I have enough trouble keeping up with this site

Originally posted by Erin87 View Post
    Hello all! *waves*

The discussion earlier on the novels (*giant headdesk and eyeroll*) and the Teyla/Kanaan relationship inspired me to make a new sig for our project. As did SR's new tag line.

Large version:
    Spoiler:

Smaller, sig sized version:
    Spoiler:
    Beautiful
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
      Hey SR I have a question for you. How long was Mr. SR in the marines for? and I would like to say for the record I have much respect for the people that serve in the military. My JROTC instructor was a Lieutenant Colonel in the US Army and during that tine I got to know him and what he did in the service.
      He was only active for 4 years but Marines are Marines for life. My son was in ROTC both in high school and at Virginia Tech. His instructors were terrific role models. The Army colonel who was Commandant of the Corps of Cadets at VT at the time was a Medal of Honor winner. Lovely man.

Hello all! *waves*

The discussion earlier on the novels (*giant headdesk and eyeroll*) and the Teyla/Kanaan relationship inspired me to make a new sig for our project. As did SR's new tag line.

Large version:

Simply outstanding job. I love the look on her face. Now that's a shippy look. I added these to our art stickie for easy reference.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
      Did they misread it as Leave No Man's Behind?? Heck, if they're going to say John had a thing for that guy, he may as well have had one for Woolsey as well I assume (I'm not military myself) that there is a deep bond between servicemen & women, forged from the experiences they've had together, that goes beyond a simple friendship. It annoys me that someone is usuing that for a twist in a novel

It would've never crossed my mind either. Planet Kidkill would've been extremely hard for her to visit if that were the case

It's like they don't want people to ship, until they do and get annoyed when we don't.....

*snort*

To be fair to Katie, and Rodney, they're both geeks. I can't exactly see either of them hussying it up in earlier life. A certain amount of awkwardness is expected, both with their interactions towards each other, and to other people. Which I suppose was the initial problem I had with McKeller - Rodney seemed to be 'hey, I'm a geek and I just got a date with one of the cheerleaders' and more infatuated with the idea than the person. I think McKeller has the basis of a good ship, but it suffered a lot from Keller's extremely weak writing in s4, and the blam!kapow! start. Its interesting to compare how Rodney acted with Katie vs Jen - with Katie, he tried to act like a better man, with Jen, he tried to act like a different man.

Regardless, they're canon, with no clouds on the horizon as at the end of s5. In fact, if you use TLM as a possible hint, they might get very serious indeed. So breaking them up seems unwarranted.

I have enough trouble keeping up with this site

Beautiful
      To be clear on the books, I haven't heard for sure that John will be written as bisexual in the books. He was written thusly by Jo Graham in her fanfic so it's reasonable to question if this characterization will continue. Also she had him as having PTSD and cleaning his gun a lot. Cliche much? Most fans still don't know who she is but are beginning to wonder. It didn't take much detective work to find her.

One of my problems with McKeller was that I didn't see her as the cool cheerleader that McKay was trying to win. I thought she was written as awkward and dorky as he was. She was a good doctor at times and seemed to connect well with people but she was immature and had poor judgment at other times. A reflection of the writers maybe? They would probably have been a good match if they had had any chemistry.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

So does Safari. Pfffftttt! And there's top sites. How can you not looovveee top sites? If you try top sites, you will never use Firefox again. *nods*
        I tried top sites. I like my Morning Coffee better. *hides from SR*

But Safari is second choice!

Hello all! *waves*

Large version:

Very nice.

Erin, do you know about the assignment you need to be working on?
        Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Hello all! *waves*

Large version:

Awesome sig
          *snags*
          And oh so very true

Sig by me

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

*snorts*

Ouch.

Their indecisiveness is certainly annoying, isn't it?

A very sick comedy of errors, at least.

*cracks up at the 'I got a date with one of the cheerleaders' line*

That's an insightful comparison on what kind of man Rodney tried to be with Katie and Keller. I was rather impressed with the outcome in Quarantine; not because Rodney had broken up with Katie, but his reason for doing so. I thought it was very mature of him to recognize that he still needed to work on his ego and didn't want to burden Katie with that, and I hoped to see that develop further. Except TPTW decided to simply throw Katie away and send her back to Earth like some crybaby. Argh.

To be clear on the books, I haven't heard for sure that John will be written as bisexual in the books. He was written thusly by Jo Graham in her fanfic so it's reasonable to question if this characterization will continue. Also she had him as having PTSD and cleaning his gun a lot. Cliche much? Most fans still don't know who she is but are beginning to wonder. It didn't take much detective work to find her.
            The cliches and canon errors in her Teyla short story for the magazine (which, by the way, is going to cease production in a couple of months-- how very telling) turned Teyla into such an unrecognizable Mary Sue that I have no confidence in the books.

One of my problems with McKeller was that I didn't see her as the cool cheerleader that McKay was trying to win. I thought she was written as awkward and dorky as he was. She was a good doctor at times and seemed to connect well with people but she was immature and had poor judgment at other times. A reflection of the writers maybe? They would probably have been a good match if they had had any chemistry.
            Certainly, the inconsistent writing for Keller was consistent with the inconsistent writing for everyone else.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
              Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

*snorts*

Ouch.

Their indecisiveness is certainly annoying, isn't it?

A very sick comedy of errors, at least.

*cracks up at the 'I got a date with one of the cheerleaders' line*

That's an insightful comparison on what kind of man Rodney tried to be with Katie and Keller. I was rather impressed with the outcome in Quarantine; not because Rodney had broken up with Katie, but his reason for doing so. I thought it was very mature of him to recognize that he still needed to work on his ego and didn't want to burden Katie with that, and I hoped to see that develop further. Except TPTW decided to simply throw Katie away and send her back to Earth like some crybaby. Argh.

The cliches and canon errors in her Teyla short story for the magazine (which, by the way, is going to cease production in a couple of months-- how very telling) turned Teyla into such an unrecognizable Mary Sue that I have no confidence in the books.

Certainly, the inconsistent writing for Keller was consistent with the inconsistent writing for everyone else.
              Consistently inconsistent. At least they were consistent about something.

Did the short story go into Teyla's background with the other marriage, etc?
              sigpic

Comment

Consistently inconsistent. At least they were consistent about something.
                And that's saying something.

Did the short story go into Teyla's background with the other marriage, etc?
                Nothing about the marriage (I can only guess that's being held back for the novels as a "shocking revelation"), though there were more mentions of her and other Athosian children playing in the ruined city on Athos (called 'Emege' in the story, which is a little too conveniently similar to Teyla's famly name of 'Emmagan') as we heard about in Rising. There was one name of a lost 'agemate' mentioned in particular that could be the husband, I suppose.

Spoiler:
                The story has Teyla saying she's thirty-three (it's set in the day or so just before the team from Atlantis arrives in Rising), so she's been aged up significantly from the 20-25 range in the casting sides. Little inconsistencies like alternately switching between "Gate" and "Ring of the Ancestors" for the Stargate (weren't they only introduced to the term 'Stargate' by the members of the expedition from Earth?), Charin and Teyla calling each other 'daughter' and 'mother' when they never did on the show, Teyla inexplicably dreaming of being in Atlantis underwater, as though trying to imply that 'dreaming the future' is a part of her Wraith gift, even though we've never seen her do that before. Weird stuff. If it had been just one thing, I don't think it would've made much of a difference, but seeing that many coincidences all centering on one character seems really fishy to me.
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Lovely!
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                    And that's saying something.

Nothing about the marriage (I can only guess that's being held back for the novels as a "shocking revelation"), though there were more mentions of her and other Athosian children playing in the ruined city on Athos (called 'Emege' in the story, which is a little too conveniently similar to Teyla's famly name of 'Emmagan') as we heard about in Rising. There was one name of a lost 'agemate' mentioned in particular that could be the husband, I suppose.

Spoiler:
                    The story has Teyla saying she's thirty-three (it's set in the day or so just before the team from Atlantis arrives in Rising), so she's been aged up significantly from the 20-25 range in the casting sides. Little inconsistencies like alternately switching between "Gate" and "Ring of the Ancestors" for the Stargate (weren't they only introduced to the term 'Stargate' by the members of the expedition from Earth?), Charin and Teyla calling each other 'daughter' and 'mother' when they never did on the show, Teyla inexplicably dreaming of being in Atlantis underwater, as though trying to imply that 'dreaming the future' is a part of her Wraith gift, even though we've never seen her do that before. Weird stuff. If it had been just one thing, I don't think it would've made much of a difference, but seeing that many coincidences all centering on one character seems really fishy to me.
                    Oh dear. I can't speak for Teyla fans but I don't like it when authors reinvent canon to suit themselves. It sounds like it's leading toward "finding her destiny on Atlantis". *hurls* No matter how much we tend to disagree with how TPTB wrote the characters and how the arcs played out, we still have to accept their decisions. I see nothing wrong with letting them grow past the point of how they were left in EatG but you can't go backwards. The more I hear about this new background the less I like it. Oh well, I don't have to read it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Oh dear. I can't speak for Teyla fans but I don't like it when authors reinvent canon to suit themselves. It sounds like it's leading toward "finding her destiny on Atlantis". *hurls* No matter how much we tend to disagree with how TPTB wrote the characters and how the arcs played out, we still have to accept their decisions. I see nothing wrong with letting them grow past the point of how they were left in EatG but you can't go backwards. The more I hear about this new background the less I like it. Oh well, I don't have to read it.
                      Speaking only for myself here - but I don't like it.

I've seen a few Teyla-fans who seem pretty eager to read the new books, but that could be for others reasons.

Comment

Huh. If it's okay to alter canon in the novels, then this is my take on the scene from echoes:

Spoiler:

Carson, I need some help here

Oh, God, Elizabeth! What happened?

It's all my fault Carson. She said she'd had a rough day at work and needed me to shag her senseless, and, well, things got a bit out of hand....

sigpic

Comment

Comment

Huh. If it's okay to alter canon in the novels, then this is my take on the scene from echoes:

Spoiler:
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]26434[/ATTACH]

Carson, I need some help here

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26435[/ATTACH]

Oh, God, Elizabeth! What happened?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26433[/ATTACH]

It's all my fault Carson. She said she'd had a rough day at work and needed me to shag her senseless, and, well, things got a bit out of hand....

Naughty. Works for me.
                            sigpic

Comment

What this I hear about John being bisexual?

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                                What this I hear about John being bisexual?
                                A certain fanfic writer who is a fan of another ship writes him that way. She is one of the authors of the new Legacy series of novels and we're hoping she stays a little more with canon in the books.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X