No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, awesome discussion guys! Wish I could have been here sooner!

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
    Ah, this old Seasons 4/5 conversation. I know that I generally had an opinion that was often in the minority here but I always appreciated I could have a reasonable discussion here. Although I often wonder how I can have most of the exact complaints about seasons 4 and 5 as you guys and still like them. I figure it largely comes down to interpretation of what was happening onscreen.

I do agree with you about Elizabeth's presence though. I think the thing that made the later seasons feel darker was not only the changes in John due to Elizabeth's departure but the very fact that she wasn't there cast a very different tone over the overall chemistry of the cast. Now the way they often handled her void (in season 4 in particular) was sort of as "The unspoken elephant in the room" rather than addressing it head on like it should have been handled. And that caused no small amount of frustration in me but still, the principle of Atlantis and John in particular needing to stand up to all the new challenges without the support of Elizabeth was something that interested me quite a lot as a viewer. I think in a lot of ways Elizabeth and John sort of relied on each other keep their moral compasses straight, after she was captured both of them started to lose their way a little more often. And they had struggled with a number of moral choices even before that, and one thing that I felt made the show more "human" was that occasionally the protagonists were fallible enough to make dubious or perhaps wrong choices.

Generally, I've been a fan of shows taking a darker turn. It's just my personal taste of course but many of my favorite pieces of television have been where the heroes suddenly have their status quo shattered and suddenly have to deal with some sort of new danger on a different level than what they'd previously triumphed over. Actually I'd probably have to go back to Transformers to cite some of the best examples of that. But my point is that when I was growing up, well executed "darker turns"were arguably the most powerful television that I ever watched. And I found the subtle loss of innocence from before Adrift to after to be up there with some of my favorite TV.

At the same time, I can see why certain fans might be disappointed by the change. In addition to the fact that I know that not everybody likes darker turns, I've also learned over the years that even for a fan of it, a show going darker doesn't automatically make it better.

Battlestar is a show that I've really enjoyed over the years. I've seen up to the end of the third season and while I've begun to notice a number of serious flaws in the narrative, I still can say I love the show. But BSG is a show that is really pretty exceptionally far on the er... "dark-o-meter", I think a show can still be "dark" without being that dark.

Anyway The main defining thing about Stargate: Atlantis in my mind is probably this sense of pervasive inconsistency. In many areas, such as how dark or light it is or how strong or weak the writing is. In season 5 especially I think The PTB manged to include some of their very best and very worst stuff. And I think the writers are probably the biggest aspect of that because all of the writers all have a lot of excellence and stupidity to their credit. So I don't think any of them can really be dismissed as "good" or "bad."

*phew* I think that was everything I had meant to type. That took a while to post.
    This was a wonderful post and ITA. My complaints are the same as yours, and there's a difference between writing characters darker and painting the walls darker and calling it a darker show. That inconsistency you mention haunts Season 5 in particular, because the writers were all over the place with the characters. The stories were good, but the center was missing and that's the most noticeable difference to me. Not surprising when they lost the heart of Atlantis. And I don't say that as an Elizabeth fan per se, but because in Seasons 4 and 5 the 'leader' of the city was not consistently there like Elizabeth was in the first 3 seasons. They were sort of treated like Keller or Zelenka. When they took out Elizabeth as head, they shifted the focus away from the city as 'home base', and I don't think they truly realized that everything in SGA revolved around it--that was the thread that kept everything flowing.

Love the comments on Elizabeth and John being each other's moral compasses, because that's very true and I've never thought of it that way--but it's so evidenced based on John's actions in Miller's Crossing and the end of Season 5, and Elizabeth's in Ghost in the Machine.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    Pervasive inconsistency. I love that phrase. That just perfectly sums up the whole show. And IMHO, any out of character moments can be placed right at the feet of the writers, not the actors. I wish I had time to try to think of some of those but let me just say, none of them occurred when John was with Elizabeth. It all boils down to the roles we play, I think. We could not have expected John to act the same way toward her he did, let's say, Rodney. And he had a very different demeanor with Ronon, more of a military to military guy thing than with Rodney. Teyla, I think spooked him a little at first because she was an alien in his mind but then he saw to her heart and she became a friend which is why I think he dropped the flirting relatively soon and started treating her like an equal. Elizabeth was a bit more difficult for him and their relationship changed irrevocably with Hot Zone. Once they got on a first name basis, it put her more on the level of an equal in John's mind and by that time he had gained enough confidence to assert himself as perhaps a co-leader. I think he read her correctly in that she didn't look down on him or ignore his opinions. Then they became friends and it was at that point that I think, being a guy, he just didn't think about it anymore. She became just "Elizabeth" to him and he started thinking of her as family. Then when it all went sideways he was lost and didn't know what to think anymore but the dire circumstances they were in didn't give him much time for contemplation. That's my take on it.

And with that I'll say that I will be going to visit my brother today and will be back late on Wednesday. I hope you have pages and pages for me to catch up on.
    Have a safe & good trip!
    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
      I've got a solution for that, too! Meant to send you this in the two-parter write up, but I can pitch it here.

Since EATG didn't tell us exactly how much power was depleted. All we get is a little note from John:

That indicates the ZPMs are functioning and they're okay on power, perhaps even to fly back to Pegasus, just that the city itself is damaged.

That being the case, I thought what the IOA could do was move Atlantis under cloak to--where else? Antarctica. Set up base off the coast, to replace the chair. Keep the cloak running, but not the shield. For our first episodes on Earth, I thought we could even toy with the idea of the IOA trying to find a way to keep Atlantis on Earth as home base for Stargate Operations, and have already sort of started using it that way (since the Pegasus gate overrides the Earth gate). Perhaps we can bring up the fact that in real life they shut down NORAD in Cheyenne Mountain and the IOA wants the Stargate program international anyway, not based in the US. Plus, they can argue, Atlantis is now the best line of defense since the Earth chair has been destroyed.

I think we can use any excuse in the book to get Atlantis there. And all our people are REALLY irritated this is even being considered, because they want to go back to Pegasus. But the IOA is adamant and the person who makes the final call on whether Atlantis stays or goes is the rep from Homeworld Security--Nancy Sheppard.

But basically, it's six months of waffling and doing nothing and may the IOA hinting that Pegasus doesn't matter (of course our people know how dangerous the Wraith are, plus the people they care about in Pegasus, etc). Only when the Travellers ship shows up to they begin to grasp that, yeah, Atlantis is needed and they have a duty to fight the war in Pegasus, even over Earth.

Also, Teyla and Ronon have not been allowed to contact anyone in Pegasus because Earth and the IOA are (unreasonably) declaring that contact with Pegasus would give the Wraith another heads up on Earth's location.

I think Anuna's got the best solution here. And it'll give you a little more drama to work into your version of Teyla, something we've rarely gotten to see. I'm sure by the end you can have a happier resolution, too, with everyone having to work together to figure out what's wrong and realizing that family comes first.
      Not to throw a spanner in the works but it can't be Antartica. Remember, the chair was moved to Area 51 because of the international determination that it violated the Antartic Treaty's no military provisions. Maybe they could submerge in the South Pacific, off Midway or some other island?
      DDC

Comment

OT - I need to share this, guys, because I am in state of slight shock - my husband just had a car accident, and thank God he is okay, but our car is completely trashed.
        I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

That's a very interesting discussion you guys are having. And I want to chip in with what JF said at Fedcon about the writers and storylines.
          The original question, if I remember correctly, was if they had much say in the storylines or scripts.
          JF's long answer came down to this: they don't and have to do what the script and writers say. They can change minor dialog, but nothing that involves a character's action... no matter how out-of-character it is. (Then he and David shared a knowing look). But after a while David and him started doing their own thing (prolly to try and keep their characters more IC (which explains the woobie-face)), which some people didn't appreciate (he didn't say any names, but I think we all know who he was referring to).
          So, yeah, for me, that answer also says that neither he nor David really liked the way their characters were written at times. And honestly, if your actors don't like the way their characters are written, doesn't that say enough about tptw?

About the darkness in the last two seasons:
          I like darkness in certain shows. It's very fitting in BSG and I absolutely love that show. Torchwood and Dr. Who also have some really dark episodes, but it fits in those shows perfectly.
          One of the reasons I can't see SGU as part of the Stargate universe (pun not intended) is because of the darkness. Stargate isn't supposed to be that dark. Stargate is something that relaxes me after a hard day at work and I will never watch BSG after a hard day at work, cause it'll just depress me more. I have the same feeling with SGU and the last two season of SGA, they don't relax me like the rest of SG does.
          Plus the sudden darkness in SGA feels wrong. Yes, the characters should turn darker with everything they live through in Pegasus, but not so suddenly and with so much inconsistency. And the darkness of the characters shouldn't affect the lighting of the stage. Although... rumor goes that Atlantis is sentient, so maybe the city feels the darkness in its residents and adjust its lighting to that. Yes! That's it!!

I'll just shut-up now and get back to work

Sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
            OT - I need to share this, guys, because I am in state of slight shock - my husband just had a car accident, and thank God he is okay, but our car is completely trashed.
            *huggles* Good to hear your hubby is ok. But no wonder you're in a slight shock...

Sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by ddc View Post
              Not to throw a spanner in the works but it can't be Antartica. Remember, the chair was moved to Area 51 because of the international determination that it violated the Antartic Treaty's no military provisions. Maybe they could submerge in the South Pacific, off Midway or some other island?
              No, thank you! That's the stuff we need to remember to make sure we're within canon.

I wondering if perhaps we can work around that by working with the red tape. Perhaps we can start off with the IOA currently involved in lengthy discussions about Atlantis being more like McMurdo than a weapons base--arguing back and forth within itself about whether Atlantis is militaristic or scientific (under the provisions of the treaty, military are allowed in Antarctica, just not military bases and testing). And that 'lengthy discussion' about the chair being military will be brought up more in force with certain members of the IOA trying to rework the treaty to allow exceptions for defensive capabilities, if those weapons are for global protection and under global jurisdiction--such as under the command of Homeworld security. In other words, since the drones won't be used to attack other countries on Earth, but rather on threats to Earth, they're trying to amend the treaty.

That gives a good purpose for the strengthening of the Homeworld Security agency and why its become elevated in importance by the time these episodes start out.

Another thought I had, though, was to have them place Atlantis on the dark side of the Moon. It might require power (the shield would have to be up) but I thought it would be a cool twist on the location.

Comment

OH! I'm glad everything is okay with your hubby, but sorry about your car! Tell him to get some rest, because he may feel it in a few hours from now.

*HUGS*

Comment

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
                  *huggles* Good to hear your hubby is ok. But no wonder you're in a slight shock...
                  OH! I'm glad everything is okay with your hubby, but sorry about your car! Tell him to get some rest, because he may feel it in a few hours from now.

*HUGS*
                  *hugs both of you back*

I made him lunch and I'm keeping it warm for him, and I guess he will be tired and scared and cold (it's a quite cold day here). My poor bb, he was coming to pick me up, so I don't get soaked with rain.

Comment

No, thank you! That's the stuff we need to remember to make sure we're within canon.

I wondering if perhaps we can work around that by working with the red tape. Perhaps we can start off with the IOA currently involved in lengthy discussions about Atlantis being more like McMurdo than a weapons base--arguing back and forth within itself about whether Atlantis is militaristic or scientific (under the provisions of the treaty, military are allowed in Antarctica, just not military bases and testing). And that 'lengthy discussion' about the chair being military will be brought up more in force with certain members of the IOA trying to rework the treaty to allow exceptions for defensive capabilities, if those weapons are for global protection and under global jurisdiction--such as under the command of Homeworld security. In other words, since the drones won't be used to attack other countries on Earth, but rather on threats to Earth, they're trying to amend the treaty.

That gives a good purpose for the strengthening of the Homeworld Security agency and why its become elevated in importance by the time these episodes start out.

Another thought I had, though, was to have them place Atlantis on the dark side of the Moon. It might require power (the shield would have to be up) but I thought it would be a cool twist on the location.
                    God, I am so glad I have this thread to distract me now. And before I reply to rest of this post, may I say that, as a fan of Pink Floyd, I like the moon - idea.

I like your idea about strenghtening Home world security - it's a good dramatic element to the story, and also a plot wheel we need for several reasons. If IOA has within - fights regarding Atlantis, then our team and expedition are definitely stuck in Milky Way, on Earth or at least near Earth. Also, this will bring nancy (Sheppard? or does she have a different last name?) into the picture as an important player.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday and Happy Summer Solstice (or Winter Solstice, for those of you in the Southern Hemisphere)!

Eeek, Anuna! *glomps and clings* I'm just glad to know that Mr. Nuna is okay! That's the most important thing. *more hugs*

SR, have a good trip! We'll try not to burn down the forum while you're gone.

Infinite-Possibilities, that was a fantastic post! Actually, I'm one of those who did enjoy certain parts of Seasons 4 and 5, it's just that overall, the bad outweighed the good. I was (and still am) angry and disappointed about the behind-the-scenes shenanigans that were behind some of the decisions, but I really liked the storytelling potential that the changes offered. I know that Torri was frustrated by how Weir didn't seem to get out of the office much, and certainly, the storyline that took Weir away from Atlantis held the potential to do something very interesting, cool and downright scary with Weir, to get her out from behind the desk, away from Atlantis and on this dark and terrible adventure that could push some major development, both for Weir and for everyone who was left behind. We saw that potential realized to an extent with Sheppard's dark turn, though that apparently was more JoeF's doing rather than a concerted effort on the part of the writers to actually deal with the fallout from such a loss. Joe keeping his performance consistent despite the writing was certainly one of the things that saved S4-5 for me. I don't know if he saw Weir as Sheppard's moral compass as you did, but I do, and I think it's the only explanation that really fits what happened to Sheppard.

But sadly, we never got to see the light at the end of that dark tunnel; we never got to see them finish the story and get Elizabeth back. It's a big part of why I am so very looking forward to completing our own Season 6, to finally fulfill the potential of the Weir storyline and bring it to its logical conclusion.

This was a wonderful post and ITA. My complaints are the same as yours, and there's a difference between writing characters darker and painting the walls darker and calling it a darker show. That inconsistency you mention haunts Season 5 in particular, because the writers were all over the place with the characters. The stories were good, but the center was missing and that's the most noticeable difference to me. Not surprising when they lost the heart of Atlantis. And I don't say that as an Elizabeth fan per se, but because in Seasons 4 and 5 the 'leader' of the city was not consistently there like Elizabeth was in the first 3 seasons. They were sort of treated like Keller or Zelenka. When they took out Elizabeth as head, they shifted the focus away from the city as 'home base', and I don't think they truly realized that everything in SGA revolved around it--that was the thread that kept everything flowing.

Love the comments on Elizabeth and John being each other's moral compasses, because that's very true and I've never thought of it that way--but it's so evidenced based on John's actions in Miller's Crossing and the end of Season 5, and Elizabeth's in Ghost in the Machine.
                      I think you just nailed it on the head. I too see Elizabeth as the heart, the center of Atlantis. In a way, she personifies everything that the expedition as a whole and Team Sheppard in microcosm is striving for. She's our link between Team Shep and the rest of the expedition, and the expedition and Earth. Carter and Woolsey never achieved the same level of personal presence and closeness to the other characters that Weir has; they were just there, filling a chair.

That's a very interesting discussion you guys are having. And I want to chip in with what JF said at Fedcon about the writers and storylines.
                      The original question, if I remember correctly, was if they had much say in the storylines or scripts.
                      JF's long answer came down to this: they don't and have to do what the script and writers say. They can change minor dialog, but nothing that involves a character's action... no matter how out-of-character it is. (Then he and David shared a knowing look). But after a while David and him started doing their own thing (prolly to try and keep their characters more IC (which explains the woobie-face)), which some people didn't appreciate (he didn't say any names, but I think we all know who he was referring to).
                      So, yeah, for me, that answer also says that neither he nor David really liked the way their characters were written at times. And honestly, if your actors don't like the way their characters are written, doesn't that say enough about tptw?
                      *snorts* Too true. Thank goodness Joe and David managed to stay sane.

About the darkness in the last two seasons:
                      I like darkness in certain shows. It's very fitting in BSG and I absolutely love that show. Torchwood and Dr. Who also have some really dark episodes, but it fits in those shows perfectly.
                      One of the reasons I can't see SGU as part of the Stargate universe (pun not intended) is because of the darkness. Stargate isn't supposed to be that dark. Stargate is something that relaxes me after a hard day at work and I will never watch BSG after a hard day at work, cause it'll just depress me more. I have the same feeling with SGU and the last two season of SGA, they don't relax me like the rest of SG does.
                      Plus the sudden darkness in SGA feels wrong. Yes, the characters should turn darker with everything they live through in Pegasus, but not so suddenly and with so much inconsistency. And the darkness of the characters shouldn't affect the lighting of the stage. Although... rumor goes that Atlantis is sentient, so maybe the city feels the darkness in its residents and adjust its lighting to that. Yes! That's it!!

I'll just shut-up now and get back to work
                      *cracks up* Atlantis turned off the lights because it was pissed off that Elizabeth wasn't there anymore? Hey, I'll buy that explanation!
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Glad to hear is fine. I just saw an accident today. Truck against cars. Hopefully everybody are fine.
                        Sorry for the car but it's better the car than your husband *hugs*

I'm sorry to do this transition after what you said Anuna but CHAMPAGNE FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!
                        It's the day of music so everybody are happy and playing on the street and I'm Happy because PORTUGAL WON 7.0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kris:I totally agree with what you said about the darkness.

Time to leave. I will some band on the streets and be back later.......VIVA PORTUGAL lol
                        sigpic
                        Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

And a separate post on the Season 6 plotting:

Originally posted by ddc View Post
                          Ack! Good point.

Don'tcha just love bureaucracy? I think this makes perfect sense. If no one has any objections, I vote we go for it!

And didn't someone (Mallozzi?) mention something about a moon base at one point in regards to the development of events between the end of SGA and the beginning of SGU?
                          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Since my thoughts are less coherent and more in a scrambled state, I'm offering this:

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                              Glad to hear is fine. I just saw an accident today. Truck against cars. Hopefully everybody are fine.

I'm sorry to do this transition after what you said Anuna but CHAMPAGNE FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!
                              It's the day of music so everybody are happy and playing on the street and I'm Happy because PORTUGAL WON 7.0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to leave. I will some band on the streets and be back later.......VIVA PORTUGAL lol
                              Oh, Viva Portugal I appreciate all distractions right now, I won't say no to champagne. It will calm me down

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post

Hey, congratulations on the win!

Champagne, eh? Mmm, I could have mimosas... *runs to get the orange juice*

Comment

Working...
                                X