Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    It's just what you are used to. Some British accents are incomprehensible to me. I'm sure the Americans here will agree that there is no such thing as an American accent. Unless you count the TV news reporter accent which is pretty much fake. Some of us don't even understand each other. Like New Jersey and Alabama. LOL

emerald_day, beautiful banner. I added it to the SS6 collection.
    lol thats true there is no such thing as one american accent. People from Maine speak differently than people from Boston, who speak differently than the people frim NY, who speak differently from the people in Georgia, who speak differently than the people in Kentucky, and so on lol. I think the same applies for almost every country, at least those of the languages i understand. All English people don't have the same accent. Same goes for Italian. I can barely understand a word of the Italian news broadcast my mom likes watching, yet i can understand almost everyone else speaking italian. I can also read and understand literature written in Italian. In the Italian classes i took in college they used a Florentine dialect. Same with spanish, i can understand some people, but not others, even though i really don't know spanish, but it really similar to italian that i can usually make out what some people are saying.

I usually have a pretty neutral American accent, though i admit with some words , and especially when i'm riled up or upset about something i get the nyc accent lol

And thats not even getting into urban accents vs. non- urban ones even within the same state. The people in NYC speak differently than the ones in upstate NY
    Last edited by VampyreWraith; 13 June 2010, 08:02 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
      lol thats true there is no such thing as one american accent. People from Maine speak differently than people from Boston, who speak differently than the people frim NY, who speak differently from the people in Georgia, who speak differently than the people in Kentucky, and so on lol. I think the same applies for almost every country, at least those of the languages i understand. All English people don't have the same accent. Same goes for Italian. I can barely understand a word of the Italian news broadcast my mom likes watching, yet i can understand almost everyone else speaking italian. I can also read and understand literature written in Italian. In the Italian classes i took in college they used a Florentine dialect. Same with spanish, i can understand some people, but not others, even though i really don't know spanish, but it really similar to italian that i can usually make out what some people are saying.

I usually have a pretty neutral American accent, though i admit with some words , and especially when i'm riled up or upset about something i get the nyc accent lol

And thats not even getting into urban accents vs. non- urban ones even within the same state. The people in NYC speak differently than the ones in upstate NY
      True and there are a dozen different Southern accents even though they probably sound much the same to the rest of America. It was amusing on Atlantis too to hear Torri's Canadian accent when she was supposed to be an American. Canadians have those nice round vowels that sound quite nice to me, not the flatter more nasally American sounds. *waves to JF* There, see how nicely I worked our ship into this OT discussion.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

True and there are a dozen different Southern accents even though they probably sound much the same to the rest of America. It was amusing on Atlantis too to hear Torri's Canadian accent when she was supposed to be an American. Canadians have those nice round vowels that sound quite nice to me, not the flatter more nasally American sounds. *waves to JF* There, see how nicely I worked our ship into this OT discussion.
        Elizabeth couldve been from Maine lol. The accent from there sounds very similar to a Canadian one.
        sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

Originally posted by Fionnait View Post
          They actually have a very strong American accent in this scene. I always imagined Elizabeth speaking like an English lady when saying the lines. An John to be a knight. Yes, I have a very active imagination.
          Eeeee! Now you've got me wanting to go reread Stargate!Renaisssance again!

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
          Torri explained the bad English accent in that film at Chevron when one of my friends asked about the movie.
          She said that when she was cast, nothing was said about any accent. But then about a week or two before filming started, someone contacted her and said: "Oh yeah, we want you to have an English accent."
          So normally Torri practices on an accent for weeks, sometimes even months, but now she only had about a week. She herself thinks it sucks
          Aha, that's where I heard that tale! Heh, poor Torri, didn't get enough time to practice! *sporks director*

Originally posted by emerald_day View Post
          *emerald_day drops in*

I´m glad to be back, I have been really busy the past few weeks. I passed all my classes in school and I´m really happy about that. I started working about three weeks ago so I have been really busy. How have you all been?

I have a little treat for all of you sparkys I hope you´ll like my version of Sparky Season 6 - our way banner.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...ner_ED_w_c.jpg

enjoy

*gives everyone a hug*
          Yay! Congratulations for passing your classes!

That is a lovely banner, and I'm with SR; we'd love to have you participate in Season 6. We need more artists!

Heehee!

Elizabeth couldve been from Maine lol. The accent from there sounds very similar to a Canadian one.
          Hmm, that's not a bad idea, actually. To tell you the truth, I've been picturing Elizabeth as a New Englander for a while now.
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post

Hmm, that's not a bad idea, actually. To tell you the truth, I've been picturing Elizabeth as a New Englander for a while now.
            I've always kinda pictured her as a New Englander, or from Connecticut, which isnt really new england i dont think but close enough.
            sigpic

Comment

I've always kinda pictured her as a New Englander, or from Connecticut, which isnt really new england i dont think but close enough.
              Actually, Connecticut is part of New England. It's Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

It seems the forum had indigestion again. Everyone still out there?

Comment

Actually, Connecticut is part of New England. It's Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.
                  I guess i just never considered it that way cuz i always look at it as a part of my tri-state area.
                  sigpic

Comment

I guess i just never considered it that way cuz i always look at it as a part of my tri-state area.
                    Heh. As I understand it, the New York City Tri-State area really refers not to the entire states, but just those portions of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut that fall within the New York City greater metropolitan area (have a typical 1-2 hour commute, in range of most TV and radio broadcasts originating in NYC, etc.).

Comment

Heh. As I understand it, the New York City Tri-State area really refers not to the entire states, but just those portions of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut that fall within the New York City greater metropolitan area (have a typical 1-2 hour commute, in range of most TV and radio broadcasts originating in NYC, etc.).
                      yeah but when someone uses the term tri-state area to me i think NY, NJ, CT. i dont count miles or travel time, or what tv or radio stations, im receiving. it just what pops in my head when i think ct, i think tri- state. i'm not saying its not part of New england, its just not what comes to mind when i think ct. Just like when people say Westchester i think upstate, some people dont really see Westchester as upstate, whereas some people even consider the northern parts of the Bronx upstate even though its still nyc. Just like i live in Queens which is on Long Island, so is Brooklyn, but we're part of Nyc, so people from brooklyn and Queens never say they're from Long Island, which is usually considered just Nassau and Suffolk, Even though all four of those counties are an LI. When most people think nyc, they think of manhattan, not the other 4 boroughs. I get asked by people from other states wether i get claustrophobic around all those buildings and about all the noise/people. I live on a quiet block with houses that have driveways, and backyards. i can get philly stations, and philly is less than 2 hrs away but PA isnt considered part of the tri state area.

LOL i didnt realize how long that was sorry from rambling. I think i had a point which i think is its a matter of perception lol
                      Last edited by VampyreWraith; 13 June 2010, 07:16 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, it is a matter of perception. Take where I live, for example. I live in a major city in northern Orange County, California, but you'd never know that from the TV stations. It's all Los Angeles this, Los Angeles that. Never mind that the city of Los Angeles proper is a 45-minute drive away (and that's if traffic is good); we're still in the greater metro area of Los Angeles, so that's all we get on TV and radio. Except for the occasional crap like 'The OC' and 'Real Housewives of Orange County.' Gag me with a fork. LOL!

Comment

oooooo Real Housewives of Orange County, sounds umm exciting lol.. Cant beat Jersey Shore though, now theres quality TV.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vampyrewraith View Post
                            oooooo real housewives of orange county, sounds umm exciting lol.. Cant beat jersey shore though, now theres quality tv.
                            LOL! What comedy!

Comment

Good morning. I'm still alive. Couldn't get on here most of yesterday. Hopefully we're good for today.
                              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

yeah but when someone uses the term tri-state area to me i think NY, NJ, CT. i dont count miles or travel time, or what tv or radio stations, im receiving. it just what pops in my head when i think ct, i think tri- state. i'm not saying its not part of New england, its just not what comes to mind when i think ct. Just like when people say Westchester i think upstate, some people dont really see Westchester as upstate, whereas some people even consider the northern parts of the Bronx upstate even though its still nyc. Just like i live in Queens which is on Long Island, so is Brooklyn, but we're part of Nyc, so people from brooklyn and Queens never say they're from Long Island, which is usually considered just Nassau and Suffolk, Even though all four of those counties are an LI. When most people think nyc, they think of manhattan, not the other 4 boroughs. I get asked by people from other states wether i get claustrophobic around all those buildings and about all the noise/people. I live on a quiet block with houses that have driveways, and backyards. i can get philly stations, and philly is less than 2 hrs away but PA isnt considered part of the tri state area.

LOL i didnt realize how long that was sorry from rambling. I think i had a point which i think is its a matter of perception lol
                                We have a similar situation in NJ. Those of us from North Jersey say South Jersey for anyplace south of the Raritan River. But I've had people from Monmouth County insist that they're Central Jersey, that South Jersey doesn't start until Ocean County. As for NY, for me LI is Nassau/Suffolk and upstate starts north of Westchester/Rockland.

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
                                Torri explained the bad English accent in that film at Chevron when one of my friends asked about the movie.
                                She said that when she was cast, nothing was said about any accent. But then about a week or two before filming started, someone contacted her and said: "Oh yeah, we want you to have an English accent."
                                So normally Torri practices on an accent for weeks, sometimes even months, but now she only had about a week. She herself thinks it sucks
                                To me she sounded like an American who's lived in England for a while and picked up a slight accent. All the actors I recognized sounded pretty much how they sound in other productions, which, other than Wingfield, is basically North American.

At least Torri's character survived, the only one of the scientists and 1 of just 2 main cast who did.

Originally posted by pkprd869 View Post
                                Eri Right about the SEC and Big 10. If the Big 10 moves out east, things could get ugly. Texas A&M is tricky, I've heard they're having trouble giving up their game with UT. I've heard A&M went so far as to make UT promise to schedule them as a non-conference game if they go SEC. I think UT could care less, they didn't really care about the Tex-Arkan game. In the remote possibility UT stays, the Big XII lives. Maybe the Big XII tries to steal away BYU or Boise (which I know just joined the MWC, but they would leave in a heartbeat for a BCS conference.)

But yeah the Big XII is done. I think the next big move will the Big 10 and SEC fighting to steal teams from the ACC and Big East. The Big 10 and SEC have great football and basketball bases. I think the SEC, Big 10, ACC, and Big East will merge into two conferences that resemble a Civil War map; the Union and the Confederacy. I think ND will be forced to join a conference. I don't know what will happen to Army and Navy. They both left non-BCS conferences to be independents. Oh, and maybe I'll try and write a little fic about Lizzie and Shep debating these moves.
                                There is precedent for an agreement to continue to play rivalry games when the schools are in differnet conferences. Rutgers/Princeton was the 1st intercollegiate football game and they continued to play for years. When Rutgers moved to one of the main conferences they no longer played the Ivies but they worked an agreement that they would continue to play Princeton, though I'm not sure if it's still annually. As for Army/Navy do they still play the Ivy League of have they moved up?
                                DDC

Comment

Working...
                                X