Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pkprd869 View Post
    Yes, Miss Torri was good in Stonehenge. The British accent was interesting. Nothing against Brits, I know a few and they're terrific folks. But now if Miss Torri got to play something with a Southern drawl, saying maybe something like, "I do declare. You've given me a terrible case of the vapors!" Or being all angry, "Don't sass me or I'll stomp a mud hole in ya then walk it dry."
    Damn, that'd be awesome. I'd consider Weir's "John Sheppard, are you defending my honor?" line as being a bit of a proto-Southern accent. Or at least, the attitude.

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
    I'm always feeling very conflicted on the topic of SGU. I think no matter how good I feel the quality of the writing is, I'll probably feel resentful toward the show on some level because I'm still annoyed at the fact that SGA as canceled for it. As if the writers had a shiny new toy to play with because dramas were "in" now or something. So I sort of had mixed emotions about wanting to like the show or not. It didn't start off at the level that it's two predecessors did, in my opinion, so I thought it was just "OK" most of the time. Still I think my enjoyment of the episodes improved little by little as the show proceeded.

With that said I actually really very much enjoyed finale, and I think I might just finally be able to appreciate the show for what it is and would be sad it see it be discontinued. It's different enough that I think comparing it to SGA positively or negatively isn't really the best way think about it.

I think the second half of the season was definitely better of the two, so it's a little unfortunate the ratings were worse for it.

Still I sometimes have a weird moment when I think about ratings when my mixed feelings emerge. Sorta of like "Hah! The ratings aren't as high as before! That'll show them! Oh wait, the ratings aren't as high as before! Crap! "
    Heh. We'll see if I agree with you once I get through my viewing of Season 1. Abandon all hope, me who enter here...
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I'm always feeling very conflicted on the topic of SGU. I think no matter how good I feel the quality of the writing is, I'll probably feel resentful toward the show on some level because I'm still annoyed at the fact that SGA as canceled for it. As if the writers had a shiny new toy to play with because dramas were "in" now or something. So I sort of had mixed emotions about wanting to like the show or not. It didn't start off at the level that it's two predecessors did, in my opinion, so I thought it was just "OK" most of the time. Still I think my enjoyment of the episodes improved little by little as the show proceeded.

With that said I actually really very much enjoyed finale, and I think I might just finally be able to appreciate the show for what it is and would be sad it see it be discontinued. It's different enough that I think comparing it to SGA positively or negatively isn't really the best way think about it.

I think the second half of the season was definitely better of the two, so it's a little unfortunate the ratings were worse for it.

Still I sometimes have a weird moment when I think about ratings when my mixed feelings emerge. Sorta of like "Hah! The ratings aren't as high as before! That'll show them! Oh wait, the ratings aren't as high as before! Crap! "
      I enjoyed the finale too , it was pretty good even if it felt a little predictable at times. The end set up reminded me of seige pt 2. Im actually looking forward to seeing whats happens next season.
      sigpic

Comment

I've noticed I tend to enjoy SGU episodes significantly more when something is actually going on. Or rather when there is a threat or enemy that they need to deal with (and an interesting one, not "We're running out of food"). It makes all the other stuff they do seem important. Otherwise it just feels a little like I'm watching a bunch of boring personal drama and/or characters bicker that frankly is pointless and irrelevant. Much more of than happens in the second half of the season than the first one.

And I also noticed the characters that irritated me initially slowly stopped grating on my nerves and started to work better in the show. I don't know if that was how it was supposed to be or if they decided to tone down a few things.

For example, I really love nerd culture references as much as the next fan, but with Eli they just seemed like they were trying to hard. He used to annoy me a lot at the early episodes but I think I've finally warmed up to him by the end of this last few run of episodes.
        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I've noticed I tend to enjoy SGU episodes significantly more when something is actually going on. Or rather when there is a threat or enemy that they need to deal with (and an interesting one, not "We're running out of food"). It makes all the other stuff they do seem important. Otherwise it just feels a little like I'm watching a bunch of boring personal drama and/or characters bicker that frankly is pointless and irrelevant. Much more of than happens in the second half of the season than the first one.

And I also noticed the characters that irritated me initially slowly stopped grating on my nerves and started to work better in the show. I don't know if that was how it was supposed to be or if they decided to tone down a few things.

For example, I really love nerd culture references as much as the next fan, but with Eli they just seemed like they were trying to hard. He used to annoy me a lot at the early episodes but I think I've finally warmed up to him by the end of this last few run of episodes.

At the beginning the only characters I really liked were Eli and Rush (even though i really disliked Robert Carlyle in 28 weeks later and didn't care to see him in SGU, though i gotta admit he was really good in The Full Monty, though that is so far from Rush) I eventually came to like TJ and Greer, but still not as much as the other 2. Rush became my favorite. The young couple has always gotten on my nerves, and still does, especially the female half. Young is starting not to annoy me as much. I'm still on the fence with Wray, i actually like her better when shes with her gf than when shes on the ship. I liked Telford, even when he was being a jerk. I agree the show is better when theres actually something going on as in an outside threat and everyone is kinda working together.
          sigpic

Comment

SGU? Still have to watch the season finale (so, don't spoiler me ).
            Rush is the only character I appreciate ... the rest is crap, allow me to say that.
            The concept is good (the idea of an ancient ship stranded in a long journey between galaxies is very good), the realization is -damn it- mediocre.
            I WANT MY SGA BACK!!!!

Comment

Yes, Miss Torri was good in Stonehenge. The British accent was interesting. Nothing against Brits, I know a few and they're terrific folks. But now if Miss Torri got to play something with a Southern drawl, saying maybe something like, "I do declare. You've given me a terrible case of the vapors!" Or being all angry, "Don't sass me or I'll stomp a mud hole in ya then walk it dry."
              *lol* I actually prefer British accents. They are easier to understand and my accent is more British than American, although this depends on whom I'm talking to. It seems almost entirely impossible to identify my accent, though and people will engage in wild guessing.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
              Damn, that'd be awesome. I'd consider Weir's "John Sheppard, are you defending my honor?" line as being a bit of a proto-Southern accent. Or at least, the attitude.
              They actually have a very strong American accent in this scene. I always imagined Elizabeth speaking like an English lady when saying the lines. An John to be a knight. Yes, I have a very active imagination.

I was at a party last night and we talked about Scifi for hours! Including Stargate and some SGU bashing. This has never before happened on my life, talking about Scifi offline, it was amazing. But I kept on lacking German words, because I a) watch it in English and b) always talk about it in English. *G* This also happens to me when I have to talk about science.

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

Torri explained the bad English accent in that film at Chevron when one of my friends asked about the movie.
                She said that when she was cast, nothing was said about any accent. But then about a week or two before filming started, someone contacted her and said: "Oh yeah, we want you to have an English accent."
                So normally Torri practices on an accent for weeks, sometimes even months, but now she only had about a week. She herself thinks it sucks

Originally posted by nephtys59 View Post
                I WANT MY SGA BACK!!!!
                I think we all want it back

Originally posted by Fionnait View Post
                I was at a party last night and we talked about Scifi for hours! Including Stargate and some SGU bashing. This has never before happened on my life, talking about Scifi offline, it was amazing. But I kept on lacking German words, because I a) watch it in English and b) always talk about it in English. *G* This also happens to me when I have to talk about science.
                Lol, I have that problem too
                English is weaving itself into my Dutch more and more. Some people are annoyed by it, but most are used to it already. Sometimes it is very annoying when I know a word in English, but can't for the life of me, remember it in Dutch... Guess that's globalization for you

Sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                  We tied England 1:1... weeeee! I thought we were going to get our butts handed to us.

Quiet Sparky day again. This has got to stop. *thinks*
                  Why are you surprise? American is a good team. They beat Spain and 2 goals against Brazil last year. They have a strong mind. They play like big guys.lol But yesterday, they were lucky because the england goalkeeper did a stupid mistake. But definitivey not a surprise. It's hard to play against them because they don't have a typical game.

Originally posted by nephtys59 View Post
                  SGU? Still have to watch the season finale (so, don't spoiler me ).
                  Rush is the only character I appreciate ... the rest is crap, allow me to say that.
                  The concept is good (the idea of an ancient ship stranded in a long journey between galaxies is very good), the realization is -damn it- mediocre.
                  I WANT MY SGA BACK!!!!
                  I agree with the first part. Rush is a good character. An interesting one. And the original idea of SGU is good but please let SGA rest in peace.lol No more inconsistencies, no more talents wasted, no more SG1 in SGA.......I want to keep good souvenirs.lol
                  sigpic
                  Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

*lol* I actually prefer British accents. They are easier to understand and my accent is more British than American, although this depends on whom I'm talking to. It seems almost entirely impossible to identify my accent, though and people will engage in wild guessing.
                    Exactly. It's easier. An american talks in the beard.lol But I like the sound of British accent and American one.
                    Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post

I think we all want it back
                    No thanks.lol
                    sigpic

Comment

We tied England 1:1... weeeee!
                      Oh, and I actually got my bet right on this one! Harhar! *cheers*

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                      Exactly. It's easier. An american talks in the beard.lol But I like the sound of British accent and American one.
                      We actually have the same expression in German: to mumble into ones beard for people who do not speak clearly in general. For Americans specifically we have invented the description: sound like they speak with a hot potato in their mouth.

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

*emerald_day drops in*

I´m glad to be back, I have been really busy the past few weeks. I passed all my classes in school and I´m really happy about that. I started working about three weeks ago so I have been really busy. How have you all been?

I have a little treat for all of you sparkys I hope you´ll like my version of Sparky Season 6 - our way banner.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...ner_ED_w_c.jpg

enjoy

*gives everyone a hug*

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post

No thanks.lol

We actually have the same expression in German: to mumble into ones beard for people who do not speak clearly in general. For Americans specifically we have invented the description: sound like they speak with a hot potato in their mouth.
                          It's just what you are used to. Some British accents are incomprehensible to me. I'm sure the Americans here will agree that there is no such thing as an American accent. Unless you count the TV news reporter accent which is pretty much fake. Some of us don't even understand each other. Like New Jersey and Alabama. LOL

emerald_day, beautiful banner. I added it to the SS6 collection.
                          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

emerald_day, beautiful banner. I added it to the SS6 collection.
                            aww thanks it really means a lot to me that I can still be a part of this project in some way even though I´m not writing anything.

Comment

Originally posted by emerald_day View Post
                              aww thanks it really means a lot to me that I can still be a part of this project in some way even though I´m not writing anything.
                              Oh absolutely. Everybody can be a part. There's enough work to go around for all.
                              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I also won this one.I'm happy!
                                We have this expression here.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X