Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    Didn't he say he got 2.5X the pay? So yeah, that's a very good thing. And trust me, the unions over here wouldn't approve any sort of work without pay or overtime without extra pay.
    I was confused I guess
    I really need to stop going on here when I'm at work... And I need to get some more sleep
    That'll help unconfuse me... maybe...

Sig by me

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Originally posted by pkprd869 View Post
      Evening sparkies. I just got *BEEPED* out 36 hours of overtime. (One being a holiday paid @ 2.5x base rate.)
      WTF? And it was a union guy who made the call to frak you over for the overtime? That is just so wrong!

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
      I am going to go and watch it properly later (haven't seen it at all yet). I can't believe they're retiring these shuttles. Without (as I understand it, hopefully somebody will correct me) a replacement at least. These shuttles were made in the early 70s?? i think. Have we not been able to come up with something better, and more importantly, cheaper since then?
      You're correct, there's no replacement. We did have the Constellation program in development, but it got killed by the current administration. Admittedly, it's design is very much like Apollo (capsule on rocket) and reportedly over-budget, but there's nothing else as far along right now. Pretty stupid.

Don' get me started. While I LOVED that Carson got to do that (superfan moment), it was illogical. Surely either Lorne (freeing up Shep to fly the city) should've gone back to Earth, or Woolsey (given that it was a military threat and his command wasn't really needed) freeing Shep up, or at the VERY LEAST Lorne should've been flying the city in Shep's absence (a trained pilot and someone who has actually been in combat situations, unlike Carson). /ANTI rant (I really liked s5, just a minor nitpick)
      Oh, I agree! It made no sense for it to be Carson flying the city, especially when Lorne was present for the episode and he has plenty of piloting experience. It was just a way to shoehorn in something for Carson to do, but I don't think it did his character any favors, given that it came at the expense of more logical choices.

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
      Ah, but in FS the city had already dropped out of hyperspace. Hadn't it? Or is my memory frakking me over again?
      No, the city was still in hyperspace when John left the chair and ran to the gateroom to find out if everyone Elizabeth was okay. So there's got to be some sort of auto-pilot.

And yes, the replicators did fire up the hyperdrive, but I thought that was a serious screw-up from tptw, because would the ancients really be so stupid as to let someone without the gene to be able to fire up the hyperdrive and fly away with their city?
      Actually, McKay tried to fire up the hyperdrive in the ruined Ancient city from The Tower in a control room as well. So my guess is that the chair is a more direct control system for the hyperdrive, but it can be run remotely. As to how the Asuran Replicators could've done it, my personal canon is that it's because they are originally Ancient technology themselves.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
        My mom wants to know if someone wants to adopt her during one month.
        She's very welcome here... I could use help with my French homework. I also will get a dishwasher this weekend, so she wouldn't even be required to do the dishes! But she should be aware that I've already made plans for BBQ and meeting up with people for every Germany game in the preliminary round.

@pkprd: Yay for the guitar! And at least you're getting paid for the overtime. I only get a kick in the arse

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post

WTF? And it was a union guy who made the call to frak you over for the overtime? That is just so wrong!
          I think we're all confused about the overtime. We need pkprd to come back and tell us if he got paid for it or not. If he didn't, that truly sucks. But I'm not surprised at anything a union guy does.

You're correct, there's no replacement. We did have the Constellation program in development, but it got killed by the current administration. Admittedly, it's design is very much like Apollo (capsule on rocket) and reportedly over-budget, but there's nothing else as far along right now. Pretty stupid.
          Actually this is one of the few decisions this administration has made that I agree with. We don't have the money for such an expensive program right now. Our country is rapidly heading down a slippery slope toward bankruptcy. I'd love to buy a new Lexus but since Mr. SR can't afford it, I have to keep driving my Toyota. The space program I fear has become a luxury.
          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Fionnait View Post
            She's very welcome here... I could use help with my French homework. I also will get a dishwasher this weekend, so she wouldn't even be required to do the dishes! But she should be aware that I've already made plans for BBQ and meeting up with people for every Germany game in the preliminary round.

@pkprd: Yay for the guitar! And at least you're getting paid for the overtime. I only get a kick in the arse
            First I want to laugh. Do you think she can help you in french? This woman speaks "Porench" (Portuguese and french in one sentence). I'm not nice with my mom here.lol I'm like SK even if I didn't say that my mom was a plant.lol
            I think it's me who should come and not my mother.lol
            sigpic
            Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

I think we're all confused about the overtime. We need pkprd to come back and tell us if he got paid for it or not. If he didn't, that truly sucks. But I'm not surprised at anything a union guy does.
              *snorts* I'm not surprised at union antics, either.

Actually this is one of the few decisions this administration has made that I agree with. We don't have the money for such an expensive program right now. Our country is rapidly heading down a slippery slope toward bankruptcy. I'd love to buy a new Lexus but since Mr. SR can't afford it, I have to keep driving my Toyota. The space program I fear has become a luxury.
              True enough. Which is a real shame, considering all the advances that got their start in the space program (and the military) and are so commonplace in everyday life now. Bankruptcy, I'm afraid, will be just the tip of the stagnation iceberg. *sighs*
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Didn't he say he got 2.5X the pay? So yeah, that's a very good thing. And trust me, the unions over here wouldn't approve any sort of work without pay or overtime without extra pay.
                *raises hand* Not only you don't get paid for overtime 'round here, sometimes you keep on working just to keep the job. Which doesn't mean you get paid at all. (Didn't happen to me or Mr Nuna but I know people who have been through that).

On happier topics? I'm watching "The blind side" and enjoying it. I wonder would John and Elizabeth enjoy it too. *g*
                I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

First I want to laugh. Do you think she can help you in french? This woman speaks "Porench" (Portuguese and french in one sentence). I'm not nice with my mom here.lol I'm like SK even if I didn't say that my mom was a plant.lol
                  I think it's me who should come and not my mother.lol
                  You're welcome, too. What a great opportunity to have BBQs for all France and Portugal games, also! Lets declare the summer of football!

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

*snorts* I'm not surprised at union antics, either.

True enough. Which is a real shame, considering all the advances that got their start in the space program (and the military) and are so commonplace in everyday life now. Bankruptcy, I'm afraid, will be just the tip of the stagnation iceberg. *sighs*
                    And all you young kids will have to work forever. But we have Sparky to help us forget the end of life as we know it. LOL

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                    *raises hand* Not only you don't get paid for overtime 'round here, sometimes you keep on working just to keep the job. Which doesn't mean you get paid at all. (Didn't happen to me or Mr Nuna but I know people who have been through that).

On happier topics? I'm watching "The blind side" and enjoying it. I wonder would John and Elizabeth enjoy it too. *g*
                    Or there are people like SR Jr. who's on a salary and sometimes works 12 hours a day just because it's expected if you want to get ahead. His hourly wage would be laughable if you figured it out. I'm afraid we're at the point where anyone with a job is desperate to hold onto it at all costs and considers themselves lucky to have it. Whereas, old guys like Mr. SR want to retire but since we're unwilling to give up our nice vacations and my shopping sprees he will probably have to work until he's 80. Sigh.

I'll bet Sparky would love The Blind Side. I can see John being fully supportive of something like that. One of the first things I've always said if someone asks what I'd do with a huge sum of money is that I'd go into schools and find deserving poor kids and send them to a private school or college. I'd love to set up a foundation for just such a thing.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fionnait View Post
                      You're welcome, too. What a great opportunity to have BBQs for all France and Portugal games, also! Lets declare the summer of football!
                      The summer of Football and Sparky! Can't wait it
                      sigpic
                      Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

And all you young kids will have to work forever. But we have Sparky to help us forget the end of life as we know it. LOL

Or there are people like SR Jr. who's on a salary and sometimes works 12 hours a day just because it's expected if you want to get ahead. His hourly wage would be laughable if you figured it out. I'm afraid we're at the point where anyone with a job is desperate to hold onto it at all costs and considers themselves lucky to have it. Whereas, old guys like Mr. SR want to retire but since we're unwilling to give up our nice vacations and my shopping sprees he will probably have to work until he's 80. Sigh.

I'll bet Sparky would love The Blind Side. I can see John being fully supportive of something like that. One of the first things I've always said if someone asks what I'd do with a huge sum of money is that I'd go into schools and find deserving poor kids and send them to a private school or college. I'd love to set up a foundation for just such a thing.
                        Well, that is just a kind of idea nobody has written about yet in Sparky fandom. Or almost nobody, I do remember one fic where Elizabeth was missing for ten years and John had set up a foundation in her memory. I liked it, because he didn't do anything self destructive, and when the time came, he was there for her rescue.

Now, I wonder what kind of cause would John support? I believe he could, he certainly has the money to do so.

Comment

Well, that is just a kind of idea nobody has written about yet in Sparky fandom. Or almost nobody, I do remember one fic where Elizabeth was missing for ten years and John had set up a foundation in her memory. I liked it, because he didn't do anything self destructive, and when the time came, he was there for her rescue.

Now, I wonder what kind of cause would John support? I believe he could, he certainly has the money to do so.
                          Yeah, you would have thought that they'd use the obvious difference between his way of thinking and his family's. But I got the feeling that making John a trust fund baby was a sly dig at JF since he said he never would have thought John was from a rich family. I really wish I knew what he wanted John's background to be. Early on they said John's father was a famous military guy but along the way they dropped that idea. I liked the idea of John thinking he could never be the hero his father was to explain some of the things he did. This poor little rich boy thing didn't fit very well. And Joe is certainly not typical in that respect either. Unless he needs to order a truck load of beer that is. LOL
                          sigpic

Comment

Ah, but in FS the city had already dropped out of hyperspace. Hadn't it? Or is my memory frakking me over again?
                            And yes, the replicators did fire up the hyperdrive, but I thought that was a serious screw-up from tptw, because would the ancients really be so stupid as to let someone without the gene to be able to fire up the hyperdrive and fly away with their city?
                            They'd pretty much only just got into hyperspace before John heard Rodney calling for medical assistance and bolted to the control room.

Rodney fired up the hyperdrive in the sister city in The Tower, and the Asurans did it in TR II. I'm assuming the chair, as it is essentially a neural interface, reacts quicker than somebody simply pushing a few buttons, hence why it also controls the drones

I'm not kidding (OT)
                            Spoiler:
                            There is a difference. Just watch the collar closely.
                            But they look so similar *shrugs*

Originally posted by pkprd869 View Post
                            Unfortunately, I can't grieve it. Since a union guy makes the calls (Management still has to authorize OT opportunities), I can't do much. I can't grieve against another union worker.

Spoiler:
                            One shirt has a tab collar, the other requires a pin to go through the collar. Not something I plan on wearing alot, but YES, girls notice that kind of stuff.
                            You must have an amazing neck

A union guy made the call?? What kind of a weird union do you guys have over there? Man, if someone would try that over here, union guy or not, the entire company would go on strike. And the other unions would definitely rise up in protest.
                            Yeah, odd.

Spoiler:
                            I know I notice
                            There's the gender difference right there

It's not so different from her life here.lol

In my arms. Yes it will be difficult for them but VIVA PORTUGAL!!!!!!!!!

Ok get out of my arms.lol
                            Spain Brazil can be a good final.

Oh again. Don't start with Soccer and Football or I will be very angry.lol
                            I also love Rugby.
                            We're back to footy now for soccer. Rugby is either footy or rugga

I'm trying to imagine my mom with you and it's very funny.lol
                            It sounds funny too - and just wrong

I'd say go with the tab collar. The pin will get to be a pain in time. Plus the spread of the collar looks the same without the hassle. It's good you're putting all that overtime pay to good use. But the Macy's sale is still going on.
                            THANK YOU. But I'll have to concede there is a difference - even if I would never notice it

Oh. Shame, but I guess money talks in this environment

Oh, I agree! It made no sense for it to be Carson flying the city, especially when Lorne was present for the episode and he has plenty of piloting experience. It was just a way to shoehorn in something for Carson to do, but I don't think it did his character any favors, given that it came at the expense of more logical choices.
                            It was cool though (even if it was stupid) so I'm a bit torn on it

No, the city was still in hyperspace when John left the chair and ran to the gateroom to find out if everyone Elizabeth was okay. So there's got to be some sort of auto-pilot.

Actually, McKay tried to fire up the hyperdrive in the ruined Ancient city from The Tower in a control room as well. So my guess is that the chair is a more direct control system for the hyperdrive, but it can be run remotely. As to how the Asuran Replicators could've done it, my personal canon is that it's because they are originally Ancient technology themselves.
                            That's a plausible theory, but I'd argue that the system is set up much like the majority of other systems on Atlantis ie once activated, anyone can use it. Zelenka can use the shield, a fairly important button to push. The chair itself requires the gene, but that is a manual control, whereas the automatic ones mean all they have to do is punch a few buttons in the control room. But it's pie in the sky really, they never actually explained it
                            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, you would have thought that they'd use the obvious difference between his way of thinking and his family's. But I got the feeling that making John a trust fund baby was a sly dig at JF since he said he never would have thought John was from a rich family. I really wish I knew what he wanted John's background to be. Early on they said John's father was a famous military guy but along the way they dropped that idea. I liked the idea of John thinking he could never be the hero his father was to explain some of the things he did. This poor little rich boy thing didn't fit very well. And Joe is certainly not typical in that respect either. Unless he needs to order a truck load of beer that is. LOL
                              Now you confused me. IMO, John is a kind of guy who likes to help, but doesn't want to make a show out of it. If he could do it without his father knowing, I don't see it as OOC for him. Maybe it's something he did in more mature age, or something he did inspired by guilt (because we know he has truckloads of guilt).

As for making John a poor rich kid who didn't fit in ... I'd say he didn't want to fit in, and there had to be more of his inner rebel than anything else to it. I don't think John's father is generally a bad guy, but he and his older son were at odds for some reason. I wonder why.

Comment

I'll have you know, I now have REM's 'It's the End of the World As We Know It' running through my head because of that.

I remember reading that fic! And for the life of me, I don't remember who wrote it. Got a link?

Yeah, it certainly looked to me at times like Joe was playing Sheppard as more of a military brat who was always in his father the war hero's shadow. There were definitely parts of that background that I prefer better than the 'poor little rich boy' story we ended up with.

Yay, beer!

That's a plausible theory, but I'd argue that the system is set up much like the majority of other systems on Atlantis ie once activated, anyone can use it. Zelenka can use the shield, a fairly important button to push. The chair itself requires the gene, but that is a manual control, whereas the automatic ones mean all they have to do is punch a few buttons in the control room. But it's pie in the sky really, they never actually explained it
                                And that's quite possible, as well.

Now you confused me. IMO, John is a kind of guy who likes to help, but doesn't want to make a show out of it. If he could do it without his father knowing, I don't see it as OOC for him. Maybe it's something he did in more mature age, or something he did inspired by guilt (because we know he has truckloads of guilt).

As for making John a poor rich kid who didn't fit in ... I'd say he didn't want to fit in, and there had to be more of his inner rebel than anything else to it. I don't think John's father is generally a bad guy, but he and his older son were at odds for some reason. I wonder why.
                                There did seem to be hints in Outcast that John didn't follow the 'plan' his father had for him, ie. going to the big Ivy League university, taking over the family business, etc. It looked to me like Patrick Sheppard had the expectation that John, as eldest son, was intended to be the 'heir' of the Sheppard dynasty, while David, as the younger son, was the 'spare' and would've had more freedom to follow his own path; I definitely got the impression that David had some resentment towards John, not just for John 'abandoning' the family, but also that David was left holding the bag and had to let go of what he might have wanted in order to take the reins when their father fell ill.

And then there's the unresolved issue of what happened to his mother. If we go by what Mallozzi hinted at with that cut line from Remnants, it sounds as though something happened to her that John blamed himself for. Though whether or not it was anything that John really had any control over is unknown, maybe her death also contributed to the split between Patrick and John.

Comment

Working...
                                X