• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best not to wonder where the inspiration for these came from

Spoiler:

Connor's reaction after reading the MGM approved novels

Spoiler:

Look Danny, I love Atlantis so much, I had the dialling symbol tattoed into my head

Seriously, enlarge the pic, there's a giant V on his forehead (not the hairline)]

Spoiler:

Who are all these people? Really Major, you are going to have to **** me so hard to make up for all of this!
    Last edited by gateraid; 21 May 2010, 11:48 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
      Wow, there's life again
      Yay!!

Like I said before, the website is still very much a WIP, so any suggestions about changing things are very welcome. I've already changed a lot of things from the original print-screen that I posted
      I have an idea about a new banner for the website, but it still milling around in my head and doesn't have a solid form yet. Again, suggestions are welcome.
      But the problem with Carson is that he doesn't have a decent promo-shot like the others that can be used. And the one that's good and goes with the rest stops at his knees *headdesk*
      I'll keep looking around though, because yes, Carson does belong in there.

About the users logging in: I'm not saying that we need everyone that did something for the project to have an account. But I would like some help Not sure how many of you are familiar with the backend of a website. But once it's fully up, users/mods don't have to go to the backend to change something.

And again, it's not because we put the site online that we have to start promoting it. But it would be nice to have a place to direct people to when they're asking for more information, but we don't want them to see the workings behind the project on LJ.
      Although a launch party does sound like a blast... especially when Joe brings the beer

So, what's the title going to be? Right now I've changed it to SGA Season 6. But some of the suggestions sound really good.

That's it for now, although I'm sure there's more but I'm sorta blanking out cause I'm doing 10 things at the same time again

I'll post screen-shots when we've decided on a title.
      Slow and easy is the rule I think we need to follow. Just continue posting your ideas and we will give our input. Then we'll make a group decision. I think we need to limit the number of people who can actually make changes on the website to 2 or 3.

I got tons of promotional shots of Carson, but none of them fit in the collage. Either he's turned the other way or he's not looking into the camera or he's in an "active" pose. Trust me, I've tried the three that looked like they would fit, but they didn't
      But like I said, I'm working on another idea for a banner. I think I can have it finished this weekend...

Oh no, I get that. And I don't want to post anything before someone else looks at it either. It's way too important to have stupid mistakes in it.

Again, I totally agree. Right now I'm putting up the general plotlines on the episode pages, but I'd like to put up some more before we go live.
      I'll be glad to look at anything before it gets posted to hopefully catch mistakes.

And we need to start voting on the titles for the website. I'm assuming this will also be the new official title for the comm.

Atlantis Virtual Season Project
      Virtual Atlantis
      Atlantis Reloaded
      Atlantis Redux
      Atlantis Resurrected
      Atlantis Rising- 1
      Atlantis Reenvisioned
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Erin87 View Post
        My take on SR's poster idea :

And Probie, here you are! Hope you like.

Excellent work. I've bookmarked the poster. Others are also welcomed.
        sigpic

Comment

gateraid, you've slain me again! LMAO!

I got tons of promotional shots of Carson, but none of them fit in the collage. Either he's turned the other way or he's not looking into the camera or he's in an "active" pose. Trust me, I've tried the three that looked like they would fit, but they didn't
          But like I said, I'm working on another idea for a banner. I think I can have it finished this weekend...
          Why won't he fit the other way? If you want to take a look at the shots I have and see if there's anything that might work better, let me know.

Again, I totally agree. Right now I'm putting up the general plotlines on the episode pages, but I'd like to put up some more before we go live.
          Well, like we've all said, we're nowhere near ready to go live, so it's going to be a while yet.

Pretty good! I don't know about SR, but I was thinking less of a wallpaper-type picture and more along the lines of a traditional theatrical movie poster (which is typically taller than it is wide, like this poster that was created for Season 1 of Atlantis). I think we might want to stick to one image (the rising from beneath the ocean or a takeoff from the surface), to keep it streamlined and simple, rather than a collage of images.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
          I agree with that, in a sence. Let's face it, the majority of continuing stories out there on FF aren't sparky as such, mostly because it completely alters the cannon of the show. We/you have to stick with cannon, at least for a bit

It's a luadible idea. If you want more people to read it than what's in this this thread, that's the way to go (damn audience appeal, WTF's up with that??)
          At least for a bit. Of course, as we've noticed before, the 'gen' and otherwise non-shipper viewers have themselves made note of Elizabeth's absence (and her occasional reappearances) and how that's affected Sheppard and made a negative impact on the show. So it seems that many fans beyond the Sparky community are open to the possibility of Sheppard/Weir and would support it, if it's presented well. And we intend to present it well.
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

From the perspective of a uh, "Non professional shipper" (I guess), I'd have to agree. Fan fiction that is essentially all shippy (which is most of it I think) to the point where it isn't really like the show at all and is like a romance novel is just a bit off putting to me. Personally speaking at least. Even if the paring in question is a canon pairing or even one that I like. The show isn't basically just about two people getting together so if a fan-fiction story is then it's not really like reading fan fiction about the same show. So I imagine "gen fans" would feel similarly about a title that implies it's all about romance. Now I have the benefit of being in the thread to see you guys talking about it so I know what your aim is, but not everyone else will. And for what it's worth, I'm impressed with your decision to try to attempt stick to canon, mostly. It could have been easy not to.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty
            I think the Transformers one is really quite fitting, since John and Elizabeth are the heart and soul of Atlantis... at least, that's the way I see them.
            Sparky: More than meets the Eyesex
            You know while it's pretty strange to look for connections between two concepts as different as these, they can potentially invoke similar emotional responses. Or at least they did with me.

Well.... sort of anyway.

Sparks were essentially introduced with the words:

"When a spark comes online, there is great joy.
            When one is extinguished, the universe weeps."

So in way that could also sort of, maybe, kind of be applied to "Sparky" and how their relationship went too, I guess.
            Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 21 May 2010, 10:26 PM.
            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

My take on SR's poster idea :
              Spoiler:

And Probie, here you are! Hope you like.

Spoiler:
              Excellent. I LOVE IT! Is it possible to send me the link please? Thank you! thank you!

You're a girl? The internet can be confusing sometimes. Or I'm just slow, whatever
              Heu...yes I'm girl. Just a moment to check it....Definitively, a girl.
              Are you saying that I speak like a guy?lol Funny thing is I thought you was a girl at the beginning.lol
              By the way, great work. Very funny. Love the one with Connor.
              sigpic
              Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Was watching EatG before. Here's how I made it Sparky

Spoiler:
                SHEPPARD (to Todd): Here's the problem: every time we get involved with you, I feel like I'm walking around with a live grenade in my pocket, just waitin' for it to all go wrong for that one thing you forgot to mention.

If we re-jig that, it becomes:

Spoiler:

Here's the problem: every time I see you, I feel like I'm walking around with a live grenade in my pocket, just waiting for it to all go wrong and somebody wondering why I need to keep my P-90 covering my privates

That's both disturbing, and flattering

Sometimes I wonder what's wrong with my mind
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                  Excellent. I LOVE IT! Is it possible to send me the link please? Thank you! thank you!

Heu...yes I'm girl. Just a moment to check it....Definitively, a girl.
                  Are you saying that I speak like a guy?lol Funny thing is I thought you was a girl at the beginning.lol
                  By the way, great work. Very funny. Love the one with Connor.
                  Well, now that we've insulted each other.....No, you don't speak like a guy. It's just that text/internet language is not really gender specific. Unless you say something like "check out the rack on her" or - ohhhh, as I write this I see your sig. That should've been a MASSIVE clue for me. I really should learn to think before I put fingers to keyboard (you should see me in action in RL, I come out with some real doozeys)
                  sigpic

Comment

My vote goes to Atlantis Rising, it's super
                    I will try to make a poster for it, I already have the Stargate Font

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                      gateraid, you've slain me again! LMAO!

Why won't he fit the other way? If you want to take a look at the shots I have and see if there's anything that might work better, let me know.

Well, like we've all said, we're nowhere near ready to go live, so it's going to be a while yet.

Pretty good! I don't know about SR, but I was thinking less of a wallpaper-type picture and more along the lines of a traditional theatrical movie poster (which is typically taller than it is wide, like this poster that was created for Season 1 of Atlantis). I think we might want to stick to one image (the rising from beneath the ocean or a takeoff from the surface), to keep it streamlined and simple, rather than a collage of images.

At least for a bit. Of course, as we've noticed before, the 'gen' and otherwise non-shipper viewers have themselves made note of Elizabeth's absence (and her occasional reappearances) and how that's affected Sheppard and made a negative impact on the show. So it seems that many fans beyond the Sparky community are open to the possibility of Sheppard/Weir and would support it, if it's presented well. And we intend to present it well.
                      I was thinking movie poster, but we can certainly use wallpapers too. We can have an art section of the site that just includes everything. In fact I have all kinds of ideas for contests, etc to design stuff to go with the actual episodes once they are posted. But that's waaaayyy in the future.

In the meantime I agree that it needs to be a simple poster. I haven't been able to find any really good pics of the city looking like it was taking off from the ocean and the city rising is visually more appealing anyway. You can do a lot with color and lighting on that one with perhaps some smaller wording beneath the title to distinguish it from the pilot. Something like: the story continues or Return to Pegasus. Better ideas are welcome.

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                      From the perspective of a uh, "Non professional shipper" (I guess), I'd have to agree. Fan fiction that is essentially all shippy (which is most of it I think) to the point where it isn't really like the show at all and is like a romance novel is just a bit off putting to me. Personally speaking at least. Even if the paring in question is a canon pairing or even one that I like. The show isn't basically just about two people getting together so if a fan-fiction story is then it's not really like reading fan fiction about the same show. So I imagine "gen fans" would feel similarly about a title that implies it's all about romance. Now I have the benefit of being in the thread to see you guys talking about it so I know what your aim is, but not everyone else will. And for what it's worth, I'm impressed with your decision to try to attempt stick to canon, mostly. It could have been easy not to.

You know while it's pretty strange to look for connections between two concepts as different as these, they can potentially invoke similar emotional responses. Or at least they did with me.

Well.... sort of anyway.

So in way that could also sort of, maybe, kind of be applied to "Sparky" and how their relationship went too, I guess.
                      Thanks for your input. It's gratifying to know our thinking works for the less than fanatic Sparky shippers also. I encourage everyone to talk this up with your non-shipper friends. Invite them to check out the comm to see that we are not just writing Sparky fanfic. We just happen to be shippers who think they can continue the story in a believable way that doesn't violate the spirit and the law of the show. After all, they hired fanfic writers to do the new series of books. We're just another, albeit unofficial, version of the possible continuation of the story. The online readers we attract will be a testament to how fandom perceives us. No less than Joe Flanigan has already said he thinks we're onto a good idea, so we must be doing something right.

To stay democratic, we need everyone else to vote on the new website title.

Virtual Atlantis
                      Atlantis Reloaded
                      Atlantis Redux
                      Atlantis Resurrected
                      Atlantis Rising-2
                      Atlantis Reenvisioned

sigpic

Comment

Well, now that we've insulted each other.....No, you don't speak like a guy. It's just that text/internet language is not really gender specific. Unless you say something like "check out the rack on her" or - ohhhh, as I write this I see your sig. That should've been a MASSIVE clue for me. I really should learn to think before I put fingers to keyboard (you should see me in action in RL, I come out with some real doozeys)
                        Nice to meet you gateraid.
                        I didn't take this like an insult. And please, don't change. It's funny when you write without thinking.lol I like your mind like it especially when you do your little things/recaps...don't find the name.

My vote: Atlantis Rising.

Now, time to sleep on my balcony.
                        sigpic
                        Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

Thanks, that's just the kind of reaction we're hoping for from the non-ship/gen fans, that this is something that they'll enjoy. And I second SR's suggestion to talk up our project with all of our non-shipper friends to get the word-of-mouth train started.

Which reminds me of another promotional idea I had; postcards to hand out at conventions. They're small than flyers, so they won't take much to print out, but big enough that they could have a little bit of artwork and a brief statement of our goals for the project, along with the address for our website (once it's up and running).

Well.... sort of anyway.

Oh, that can definitely be applied to Sparky! Finding the similarities and connections between two seemingly different bodies of work like this is part of what literary analysis is all about.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                          I was thinking movie poster, but we can certainly use wallpapers too. We can have an art section of the site that just includes everything. In fact I have all kinds of ideas for contests, etc to design stuff to go with the actual episodes once they are posted. But that's waaaayyy in the future.

In the meantime I agree that it needs to be a simple poster. I haven't been able to find any really good pics of the city looking like it was taking off from the ocean and the city rising is visually more appealing anyway. You can do a lot with color and lighting on that one with perhaps some smaller wording beneath the title to distinguish it from the pilot. Something like: the story continues or Return to Pegasus. Better ideas are welcome.
                          As I recall, there were also some shots where we can see the water sloshing around the edges of Atlantis as if it's rising (or sinking) in GitM, so those might be useful, too.

Contests, eh? We'll have to come up with some prizes!

Thanks for your input. It's gratifying to know our thinking works for the less than fanatic Sparky shippers also. I encourage everyone to talk this up with your non-shipper friends. Invite them to check out the comm to see that we are not just writing Sparky fanfic. We just happen to be shippers who think they can continue the story in a believable way that doesn't violate the spirit and the law of the show. After all, they hired fanfic writers to do the new series of books. We're just another, albeit unofficial, version of the possible continuation of the story. The online readers we attract will be a testament to how fandom perceives us. No less than Joe Flanigan has already said he thinks we're onto a good idea, so we must be doing something right.
                          Heck, it could just as easily be us writing the books. Of course, we'd do it better...

To stay democratic, we need everyone else to vote on the new website title.

Virtual Atlantis
                          Atlantis Reloaded
                          Atlantis Redux
                          Atlantis Resurrected
                          Atlantis Rising-2
                          Atlantis Reenvisioned

I'm also voting for Atlantis Rising, if you haven't already made a note of it.

Was watching EatG before. Here's how I made it Sparky

Spoiler:
                          SHEPPARD (to Todd): Here's the problem: every time we get involved with you, I feel like I'm walking around with a live grenade in my pocket, just waitin' for it to all go wrong for that one thing you forgot to mention.

If we re-jig that, it becomes:

Spoiler:
                          [ATTACH]25934[/ATTACH]
                          Here's the problem: every time I see you, I feel like I'm walking around with a live grenade in my pocket, just waiting for it to all go wrong and somebody wondering why I need to keep my P-90 covering my privates

[ATTACH]25933[/ATTACH]
                          That's both disturbing, and flattering

Sometimes I wonder what's wrong with my mind
                          What do you mean, there's something wrong with your mind? If that's the case, then we're all crazy!
                          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Slow and easy is the rule I think we need to follow. Just continue posting your ideas and we will give our input. Then we'll make a group decision. I think we need to limit the number of people who can actually make changes on the website to 2 or 3.

I'll be glad to look at anything before it gets posted to hopefully catch mistakes.

And we need to start voting on the titles for the website. I'm assuming this will also be the new official title for the comm.

Virtual Atlantis
                            Atlantis Reloaded
                            Atlantis Redux
                            Atlantis Resurrected
                            Atlantis Rising- 1
                            Atlantis Reenvisioned
                            Agreed. I get leery when we start getting all gung-ho on all this promotional stuff we're going to do when we don't have the stories started yet. Some promotion is good, but for the big stuff we'll only have a limited time to make a splash before people get bored or frustrated with waiting and we don't have a set deadline yet. Let's make sure we've got our season going before we hit the world with the news we're doing something amazing here.

I would say this--remember this sorta BIG BANG x 22. And right now we only have a few writers who've volunteered to take it on. It's going to be a big project for them. So people doing artwork, wallpapers, website, vids--bear that in mind! You do NOT have to crank out 5 posters tomorrow. TAKE. YOUR. TIME. Come up with stuff that makes sense--like, doing a poster that shows a virtual scene from our stories. That might require you to scan through a thousand caps to find the perfect shot for what you want to do, but in the end it'll be worth it.

Also, think of ways to help long term. Re-watch episodes so you can beta for us, or draw up in-depth character studies for us, check over SG-1 stuff that might be important...there's lot to be done that doesn't require you to write but would be a big, big help.

Well.... sort of anyway.

Thanks for that input. It's important to note and I LOVE the sparky quote. I'm going to use that somewhere.

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                            Nice to meet you gateraid.
                            I didn't take this like an insult. And please, don't change. It's funny when you write without thinking.lol I like your mind like it especially when you do your little things/recaps...don't find the name.

My vote: Atlantis Rising.

Now, time to sleep on my balcony.
                            I agree with Probie, gateraid--don't ever change. We enjoy you too much as you are.

My vote goes with Atlantis: Rising--though perhaps we should add a second line that says something about it being a fan-based virtual season 6?
                            Last edited by Eri13; 22 May 2010, 08:21 AM.
                            Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                              Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

Thanks, that's just the kind of reaction we're hoping for from the non-ship/gen fans, that this is something that they'll enjoy. And I second SR's suggestion to talk up our project with all of our non-shipper friends to get the word-of-mouth train started.

Which reminds me of another promotional idea I had; postcards to hand out at conventions. They're small than flyers, so they won't take much to print out, but big enough that they could have a little bit of artwork and a brief statement of our goals for the project, along with the address for our website (once it's up and running).

Oh, that can definitely be applied to Sparky! Finding the similarities and connections between two seemingly different bodies of work like this is part of what literary analysis is all about.

As I recall, there were also some shots where we can see the water sloshing around the edges of Atlantis as if it's rising (or sinking) in GitM, so those might be useful, too.

Contests, eh? We'll have to come up with some prizes!

Heck, it could just as easily be us writing the books. Of course, we'd do it better...

I'm also voting for Atlantis Rising, if you haven't already made a note of it.

What do you mean, there's something wrong with your mind? If that's the case, then we're all crazy!
                              Love the postcard idea. We'll definitely need something to hand out when we're ready.

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                              Agreed. I get leery when we start getting all gung-ho on all this promotional stuff we're going to do when we don't have the stories started yet. Some promotion is good, but for the big stuff we'll only have a limited time to make a splash before people get bored or frustrated with waiting and we don't have a set deadline yet. Let's make sure we've got our season going before we hit the world with the news we're doing something amazing here.

I would say this--remember this sorta BIG BANG x 22. And right now we only have a few writers who've volunteered to take it on. It's going to be a big project for them. So people doing artwork, wallpapers, website, vids--bear that in mind! You do NOT have to crank out 5 posters tomorrow. TAKE. YOUR. TIME. Come up with stuff that makes sense--like, doing a poster that shows a virtual scene from our stories. That might require you to scan through a thousand caps to find the perfect shot for what you want to do, but in the end it'll be worth it.

Also, think of ways to help long term. Re-watch episodes so you can beta for us, or draw up in-depth character studies for us, check over SG-1 stuff that might be important...there's lot to be done that doesn't require you to write but would be a big, big help.

Thanks for that input. It's important to note and I LOVE the sparky quote. I'm going to use that somewhere.

I agree with Probie, gateraid--don't ever change. We enjoy you too much as you are.

My vote goes with Atlantis: Rising--though perhaps we should add a second line that says something about it being a fan-based virtual season 6?
                              As Eri points out, there will be something for everybody to do and we definitely need more warm bodies on the job. We have a few more people on LJ who don't come here but need everyone to tell all their Sparky friends to check out the comm.

I think the general idea is that Atlantis Rising (which is winning unanimously) will be the overall title for the project. We do need a clarifying line to let everybody know it's a fan project but I think we shouldn't limit it to season 6. We need a concise line that says it's by fans but one that isn't too long. I'm not very good at coming up with terse statements. We got to Atlantis Rising by brainstorming yesterday in a humorous way so that may work again.

Words to consider: fan-based, virtual, project, production...
                              sigpic

Comment

Definitely. I'm wondering if we might wait until we have the first 5-10 stories done (so we've got a good buffer in case of unexpected delays) before we take the full site live; we could have a sort of teaser site up before then. There's a question: How frequently will we be posting stories once we get going? One a week? With a mid-season break of about a month or two?

Still crankin' on the timeline...

Love the postcard idea. We'll definitely need something to hand out when we're ready.
                                *nods* Yup. I kept thinking of those tables of free stuff that always seem to pop up at most conventions; fan clubs, comic book stores, independent artists and filmmakers, and the like are always putting out promotional flyers that attendees can pick up to read and investigate at their leisure. I figure it'll be worth exploring.

As Eri points out, there will be something for everybody to do and we definitely need more warm bodies on the job. We have a few more people on LJ who don't come here but need everyone to tell all their Sparky friends to check out the comm.

I think the general idea is that Atlantis Rising (which is winning unanimously) will be the overall title for the project. We do need a clarifying line to let everybody know it's a fan project but I think we shouldn't limit it to season 6. We need a concise line that says it's by fans but one that isn't too long. I'm not very good at coming up with terse statements. We got to Atlantis Rising by brainstorming yesterday in a humorous way so that may work again.

Words to consider: fan-based, virtual, project, production...
                                How does "Atlantis Rising: The Virtual Series" sound? (or Seasons, but I like the ring of "Series" better)

Comment

Working...
                                X