Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    I'm starting to gather the notes for the Wraith worshipper episode and we have a number of title suggestions so far:

The Sect
    Give Us Peace or Grant Us Peace
    Sanctus
    Adoremus

Anyone else care to weigh in on these or suggest an alternative? I like the idea of a Latin title tying in with religious worship. Adoremus would be my personal choice. This would illustrate what blind worship without educating yourself about your particular deity might lead to.
    I like "Adoramus" as well, but might suggest adding the Te to the end of it: "Adoramus Te". It's a prayer and I think it's a little more grammatically correct.

I also can put out "Te Deum" (You, God). There's a prayer/hymn to understand it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Te_Deum

I've sung the Bruckner version of the Te Deum and let me tell you it was wicked cool.
    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
      I like "Adoramus" as well, but might suggest adding the Te to the end of it: "Adoramus Te". It's a prayer and I think it's a little more grammatically correct.

I also can put out "Te Deum" (You, God). There's a prayer/hymn to understand it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Te_Deum

I've sung the Bruckner version of the Te Deum and let me tell you it was wicked cool.
      Okay, thanks for the correction. I'm not Catholic so the Latin is Greek to me.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the correction. I'm not Catholic so the Latin is Greek to me.
        Though Latin is used/tied to the Catholic Church, my understanding of it comes from singing in performance choir more than Mass. We don't use it much in service anymore because, at least where I've grown up, modern Catholics all kinda go 'huh, wha?' when people start speaking in different languages. It's enough to get them to sing the Agnus Dei in Latin.

Pronunciation and structure I learned from choir, but I'm no Latin expert, so if somebody knows better than me please chime in! In Spanish you could say "Adoramos" and it would be correct but would have no subject, kinda like walking around in English and saying "We adore" but not giving who you adore. That's why I proposed the "Te" to clarify.

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

I'm starting to gather the notes for the Wraith worshipper episode and we have a number of title suggestions so far:

The Sect
          Give Us Peace or Grant Us Peace
          Sanctus
          Adoremus

Anyone else care to weigh in on these or suggest an alternative? I like the idea of a Latin title tying in with religious worship. Adoremus would be my personal choice. This would illustrate what blind worship without educating yourself about your particular deity might lead to.
          I also like "Adoremus Te." The "blind worship" idea it implies is perfect for this episode.

A few more questions/ideas on the episode: The summary in the LJ entry calls these people "seemingly normal Pegasus citizens," but there's also an idea that's been proposed about how other planets know what these guys are up to, even calling them by a "sinister name." If that's so, would Teyla and the Athosians already know about these people (if not had actual contact, they've at least heard stories), and if they do know about this cult, why the heck would Atlantis send a team there?

Alternatively, it could be that no one really knows who is responsible for the kidnappings; some might think it could be the Bola Kai (from Missing), others might think it's the Wraith themselves (and being far more quiet about it than normal), or someone else entirely (I get the impression this has been going on for many years, so Michael's activities are probably too recent to be an explanation anyone would seriously consider). Thoughts, anyone?
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post

I also like "Adoremus Te." The "blind worship" idea it implies is perfect for this episode.

A few more questions/ideas on the episode: The summary in the LJ entry calls these people "seemingly normal Pegasus citizens," but there's also an idea that's been proposed about how other planets know what these guys are up to, even calling them by a "sinister name." If that's so, would Teyla and the Athosians already know about these people (if not had actual contact, they've at least heard stories), and if they do know about this cult, why the heck would Atlantis send a team there?

Alternatively, it could be that no one really knows who is responsible for the kidnappings; some might think it could be the Bola Kai (from Missing), others might think it's the Wraith themselves (and being far more quiet about it than normal), or someone else entirely (I get the impression this has been going on for many years, so Michael's activities are probably too recent to be an explanation anyone would seriously consider). Thoughts, anyone?
            Is everybody in agreement on "Adoramus Te" (I think it's 'a', not 'e', though someone double check)?

For this, it might be neat to have it be a twist--like perhaps there are these rumors that fly around, but when Atlantis goes to check it out they find nothing out of the ordinary and start doubting the 'rustics'. Even the Athosians (which could be a good arguing point for Teyla/Kanaan against someone like Rodney), and people bring up how the Athosians were once fooled by the Genii.

So, for half the episode we have them thinking all is cool--until they stumble into the whole plot. Sort of a 'ah, these people are completely harmless--WTF is that a BONE ALTAR?' kinda way.

Comment

Is everybody in agreement on "Adoramus Te" (I think it's 'a', not 'e', though someone double check)?
              Where are the Stowasser and the Latin grammar book when you need them? According to my Langenscheidts it's 1st = a-conjugation, which makes it adoramus.

There you go: Christe, adoramus te

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

Adoremus = Let us adore (see 'venite adoremus' in Adeste Fideles Christmas Chant, for example)

Adoramus Te = We adore you

I vote the first one

Comment

For this, it might be neat to have it be a twist--like perhaps there are these rumors that fly around, but when Atlantis goes to check it out they find nothing out of the ordinary and start doubting the 'rustics'. Even the Athosians (which could be a good arguing point for Teyla/Kanaan against someone like Rodney), and people bring up how the Athosians were once fooled by the Genii.

So, for half the episode we have them thinking all is cool--until they stumble into the whole plot. Sort of a 'ah, these people are completely harmless--WTF is that a BONE ALTAR?' kinda way.
                  *cracks up* Ohhh, this could end up having some very dark and morbid humor in it.

Originally posted by nephtys59 View Post
                  Adoremus = Let us adore (see 'venite adoremus' in Adeste Fideles Christmas Chant, for example)

I vote the first one
                  Hmm, when you put it that way, the second one (adoramus te) sounds more like it should've been a subtitle for "Irresistible." *shudders*
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Let's see, let's see... *wracks brain*
                    Maybe the ruling body of the planet are the ones who are the worshippers and they've kept their bargain with the wraith a secret from their people. (I get this image of people in something like circa 1700s clothing wearing masks and doing all these dark and creepy ceremonies.) So the team goes to the planet and hear the rumors and then things go from there. (sorry about the lack of detail in this, but I'm kinda dead on my feet right now ) Maybe by revealing this the team triggers an uprising? Like at the end of the ep after they've revealed the truth to the people they just turn their backs and walk towards the gate while behind them the angry mob swarms their former leaders and then everything fades to black. However, this might be a little similar to the basic plot of 'Condemned' so I don't know. *shrug*

Also, if we take the spin that the worshippers are kidnapping children (I think we did say it was children that were being taken, right?) because they're crazy psychos only out to protect themselves instead of an entire planet from the wraith, then... okay, I have this image in my head of these two planets (both habitable) that are tidally locked to each other - one is way larger than the other and kind of looms in the sky at all times (although admittedly it's faded out during the day). Maybe the team goes to the smaller planet for some reason and they start to hear these rumors about children being taken <insert sinister name here>. Turns out the worshippers have their base on the other planet and have been using some kind of ship or Ancient teleportation device to travel between the two (maybe a side effect of the teleportation device is making them all shadowy looking or semi-invisible and that's how they get the name, I don't know) and... or hey, maybe the bad guys have an accomplice on the planet who's like the person that you'd least expect it to be and the team finds out about it - here you could have the 'what the...?' moment with the team discovering a bone altar in this person's backyard or something (cause I like that element).
                    So the team eventually finds their way to the 'dark' side of the planet where the b.g's have their hide out (maybe that's where they get the shadowy name from, cause they're on the side of the planet nobody ever sees b/c the two planets are tidally locked) and things proceed from there.

Whew... well, like I said I'm not at my best at the moment so maybe I can give it some more thought later. Oh, and I like Adoremus for the title.
                    sigpic
                    Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Excellent ideas on the Wraith worshippers ep. I love the tidally locked planet idea. And this one would be a good chance for more Ronon involvement since he knows a lot about this subject.

It looks like Adoremus is winning the title vote. But we need to hear from several others who haven't voted.
                      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

The wraith worshippers' episode should be a good one cant wait to read it.

Comment

I also like the tidally-locked planet idea; we've never seen anything like that on SGA before.

Oh, and if I suddenly disappear, don't panic, I tried to upgrade to Windows 7 and my computer had a spaz attack. It looks like I may have to do a factory restore. Blech.

Comment

Originally posted by nephtys59 View Post

I vote the first one
                            I would more translate it as "we worship you". Adore may be derived from the stem, but it doesn't really fit.

*cracks up* Ohhh, this could end up having some very dark and morbid humor in it.
                            I'm all for dark and morbid humour!

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

Okay guys... someone explain tidally- locked to me? *dumb*
                              I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Have you guys ever thought about maybe Doing a story and the taking pictures from certain episode and mis-Mashing them to look like a certain scene in the story?

Comment

Working...
                                X