Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nephtys59 View Post
    So it is muted on YouTube as a form of protest against WMG who thinks I make money from this and who didn't disable same song on other videos (rules have to be equal for all).
    Video-music need to be reported in order to receive warnings, and/or be deleted.

I discovered the wonderful voice of Sharon den Adel and my next two videos (work in progress) have still her songs as soundtrack!
    I would advice against using music from Within Temptation because they get muted pretty fast as well. I speak from experience. But no harm in trying...
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      Video-music need to be reported in order to receive warnings, and/or be deleted.

I would advice against using music from Within Temptation because they get muted pretty fast as well. I speak from experience. But no harm in trying...
      Were you around in the days of "she who must not be named"? A certain Celtic singer who hates fanvids but dang, her songs are perfect for Sparky. LOL
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        Beautiful vid. Beautiful music. I just can't get over that look he was giving her in the Misbegotten scene. Every time I see that I just want to thank JF all over again.
        Thanks a lot, I'm glad you enjoyed it
        Yes, that look says it all and JF was wonderful in that scene
        Sheppard has always a special look, reserved only to Elizabeth.
        That special look has given me the idea for a short fic, let's hope I will be able to write it

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
          Mmmm... stainless steel. And judging from the wall treatments in Atlantis, they probably had other alloys that might mimic the look of, say, bronze or copper, yet were as strong as steel if not stronger.

I can see the Ancients having some of their own artisans working in stained glass, even clothing, but yeah, somehow I don't see them doing their own menial tasks either.
          I assume your not calling mine, or any other craft menial? Making clothing is a craft I highly respect. Tailors have a four year apprenticeship and cutters have a seven year apprenticeship. I would imagine cordwainers, hatter and milliners, and dress maker is right up there with them.
          "I only understand about 1% of what she says half of the time."

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            No, it was deleted immediately after upload. It never went online and I received mail about copyright violation a few seconds after upload finished.
            The strange thing is that there are other videos, on non official channels, with the same song, which are allowed to stay (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3aOfcDPYIU). Don't know the reason why, but this is it.

I'm working on other two video with their music and no other song is perfect for the ideas I have. It's the music that gives me the idea for a video, if I have to give up to music, there's nothing. I will upload it in another place.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post

Based on Teyla's comments in Rising, I also got the impression that the Athosians were more technologically advanced in the past (and that much of it had been destroyed in Wraith cullings), and that the Ancient city on Athos was inhabited by the Athosians' ancestors. Though I could swear that someone mentioned at some point in the early episodes that after the Athosians evacuated to Atlantis, Athos had been razed in retaliation by the Wraith, which means the city is probably nothing more than rubble now. Of course, there could still be a portion underground, service tunnels, storage rooms and the like, that might still be accessible... Hmm...
              Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

*cracks up at the coffee debate*

It's been raining out here in Southern California. We had some heavy rain last night with some areas getting flooded, and at least one freeway was shut down for a while. We've got a break right now, but it's supposed to pick up again this afternoon. I hope Joe's got plenty of sandbags and k-rails set up at his house!

Very true. The Ancients would've gone for pieces that were sturdy, durable, and hard to mess up. Just look at all the labs in the city; no doubt they'd want something that could stand up to whatever their mad scientists (Janus, I'm looking at you!) could dish out. But they don't have to be plain, either.

I think the same actually goes for the Athosians; they'd need things durable enough to stand up to being moved from place to place as they move their camp, but easily made from the materials around them; hides and furs from the animals they hunt, even using unfinished tree branches as we saw in Teyla's Kindred bed. And lots of trading.

No kidding! Did they have their own mining operations to obtain metal, or did they trade for it? And just how did they construct such massive structures like Atlantis, the city on Athos, and other sites that the team has found? Modular construction, maybe?
              It's bad weather, everywhere, except possibly in France. Last summer our biggest lake, Lanier, was 16 feet under full pool, and now it's under flood watch. *headdesk* And it's raining over here today, too. Actually, it was just snowing little snow pellets.

I never got the feel the Athosians were ever 'advanced', but maybe were a culture that spawned off an advanced race. What comes to mind for me is the fire-starter Teyla had. We do have to wonder what the Ancients were doing with races like the Athosians and the Satedans. Did they create them or were they formed by Ancients who chose to abandon being Ancient and settle down?

But the whole vibe of Teyla suggests harmony with the world and nature; the use of furs and candle lighting, the gentle flow of many of her traditional outfits and the suede/leather/bone of her jewelry makes that whole culture one with a very natural, rustic background.

I don't get the impression that the people who built the gate systems, time machines, Ascension machines and the like had a problem figuring out how to build cities, towns and structures like Atlantis. It was more like they'd moved past worrying about architecture and had moved on to 'better' things.

But I don't think they were anesthetic--they had plants everywhere, and bubble lamps. They worked with and had some appreciate for nature and the natural order.
              Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                It's bad weather, everywhere, except possibly in France. Last summer our biggest lake, Lanier, was 16 feet under full pool, and now it's under flood watch. *headdesk* And it's raining over here today, too. Actually, it was just snowing little snow pellets.
                Here in North Italy we had snow yesterday. It's been one of the coldest winters I ever remember.
                I newer wished for Spring to come as much as I'm doing now.

Comment

Problem is the music I chose for the video. I re-uploaded it muted and it wasn't deleted this time. So it is muted on YouTube as a form of protest against WMG who thinks I make money from this and who didn't disable same song on other videos (rules have to be equal for all).
                  The video with music is available here: http://www.mediafire.com/?dtzyy0zrwmz
                  or here: http://img5.yfrog.com/i/lovingmemories.mp4/

Storyline of video:
                  Elizabeth and John have lived together for many, many years on Atlantis, but then John died and left her alone behind, even if he wouldn't have. Time has passed and she still grieves and remembers John. Loving memories of when they were together, of how he always cared about her. Elizabeth dies in the end, knowing that John is waiting for her and finally they are reunited in Eternity.

I discovered the wonderful voice of Sharon den Adel and my next two videos (work in progress) have still her songs as soundtrack!
                  Wow. Awesome. Nice song, excellent story. You made me want to watch some episodes. i didn't watch an episode of Atlantis since 2 months. I'm not the fan that I was before who could not help looking at least two episodes per week.
                  Can't wait to see the next vids
                  sigpic
                  Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                    Wow. Awesome. Nice song, excellent story. You made me want to watch some episodes. i didn't watch an episode of Atlantis since 2 months. I'm not the fan that I was before who could not help looking at least two episodes per week.
                    Can't wait to see the next vids
                    I'm happy you enjoyed it
                    "Before I Sleep" is my top favourite episode, which defines the kind of woman Elizabeth Weir is and the extreme sacrifice she has done to save all her people and the man she probably already loves but she's not aware of it yet.

Next vids will be:
                    -one about John losing Elizabeth on the replicator planet (I know it's a overused story, but anyway I want to give my personal contribute with "Somewhere" song)
                    -one about Elizabeth Weir being strong and determined to fight for what she believes in ("Stand My Ground" is the song)

Don't know when they will be ready, I work hard during the week and don't always have so much free time. I also have 8 cats to take care of

Comment

Here in North Italy we had snow yesterday. It's been one of the coldest winters I ever remember.
                      I newer wished for Spring to come as much as I'm doing now.
                      Tell me about it. We just finished the second shoveling shift. And it's still snowing but has slowed a lot. For awhile we were getting about 4 inches per hour. Amazing. I'll measure tomorrow after it's all over. I think I saw a polar bear across the street but it may have just been an hallucination from all the shoveling.
                      sigpic

Comment

nephtys, that's a lovely video!

Originally posted by pkprd869 View Post
                        I assume your not calling mine, or any other craft menial? Making clothing is a craft I highly respect. Tailors have a four year apprenticeship and cutters have a seven year apprenticeship. I would imagine cordwainers, hatter and milliners, and dress maker is right up there with them.
                        Oh no, not at all! I don't think any of us would see it as menial, but there just seems to be this, I don't know, "snooty" vibe that I get from some of the Ancients that makes me think that some of them would see certain kinds of work as "beneath" them. Not all of them, though... I think Janus wouldn't have any problem with working in a metal forge, for example.

I never got the feel the Athosians were ever 'advanced', but maybe were a culture that spawned off an advanced race. What comes to mind for me is the fire-starter Teyla had. We do have to wonder what the Ancients were doing with races like the Athosians and the Satedans. Did they create them or were they formed by Ancients who chose to abandon being Ancient and settle down?

But the whole vibe of Teyla suggests harmony with the world and nature; the use of furs and candle lighting, the gentle flow of many of her traditional outfits and the suede/leather/bone of her jewelry makes that whole culture one with a very natural, rustic background.

I don't get the impression that the people who built the gate systems, time machines, Ascension machines and the like had a problem figuring out how to build cities, towns and structures like Atlantis. It was more like they'd moved past worrying about architecture and had moved on to 'better' things.

But I don't think they were anesthetic--they had plants everywhere, and bubble lamps. They worked with and had some appreciate for nature and the natural order.
                        You know, all this talk about Ancient styles vs other Pegasus styles, and all that's spawned, has got me wondering about other questions, like how the Ancients got their supplies in general, especially food? Did they grow their own, or get it in trade with other worlds in Pegasus? I ask because the issue of supplying the expedition once they cut themselves off from Earth will be something we'll need to address in Season 7. It's possible that the Ancients may have had some of their own food production, maybe in gardens that we've never seen. (The city is supposed to be the size of Manhattan; when it was fully populated, that must've been a lot of mouths to feed!) And I think that Earth might encourage the expedition to work on some of their own food production (as well as trading for it) to take some of the pressure off shipping everything over on the Daedalus; that way, more cargo space can be used for essentials that can't be easily produced by the expedition, like medicines, spare parts and munitions. We might want to consider laying a few pieces of groundwork in place during Season 6.
                        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Problem is the music I chose for the video. I re-uploaded it muted and it wasn't deleted this time. So it is muted on YouTube as a form of protest against WMG who thinks I make money from this and who didn't disable same song on other videos (rules have to be equal for all).
                          The video with music is available here: http://www.mediafire.com/?dtzyy0zrwmz
                          or here: http://img5.yfrog.com/i/lovingmemories.mp4/

Storyline of video:
                          Elizabeth and John have lived together for many, many years on Atlantis, but then John died and left her alone behind, even if he wouldn't have. Time has passed and she still grieves and remembers John. Loving memories of when they were together, of how he always cared about her. Elizabeth dies in the end, knowing that John is waiting for her and finally they are reunited in Eternity.

Cool vid. Can't wait for the next ones.

Oh no, not at all! I don't think any of us would see it as menial, but there just seems to be this, I don't know, "snooty" vibe that I get from some of the Ancients that makes me think that some of them would see certain kinds of work as "beneath" them. Not all of them, though... I think Janus wouldn't have any problem with working in a metal forge, for example.

You know, all this talk about Ancient styles vs other Pegasus styles, and all that's spawned, has got me wondering about other questions, like how the Ancients got their supplies in general, especially food? Did they grow their own, or get it in trade with other worlds in Pegasus? I ask because the issue of supplying the expedition once they cut themselves off from Earth will be something we'll need to address in Season 7. It's possible that the Ancients may have had some of their own food production, maybe in gardens that we've never seen. (The city is supposed to be the size of Manhattan; when it was fully populated, that must've been a lot of mouths to feed!) And I think that Earth might encourage the expedition to work on some of their own food production (as well as trading for it) to take some of the pressure off shipping everything over on the Daedalus; that way, more cargo space can be used for essentials that can't be easily produced by the expedition, like medicines, spare parts and munitions. We might want to consider laying a few pieces of groundwork in place during Season 6.
                          SK it's cool, I just wanted to make you squirm I agree the Ancients would see it as beneath them. When your busy FUBAR-ing the galaxy other stuff has to take a back seat. I think early on the Athosians had farming as part of their alliance with Atlantis. Of course it got mentioned for about 30 seconds and never got brought up again. After S1, I guess they got stuff shipped via the gate since they could dial Earth.
                          "I only understand about 1% of what she says half of the time."

Comment

Well, I think that was part of the reason for the mainland--Atlantis had to trade in Season 1 (all the early episodes address their need for food) for supplies. Groups like the Genii and the Minerians were approached for food.

But I also assumed it was in part because crops take time to grow, so the Lanteans would need the immediate supplies before their crops came in. We know the Athosians were growing crops because it's mentioned a few times, especially in "The Storm". But I think that was for their people, not necessarily for Atlantis.

I also think you could do hydroponics on Atlantis; we do know that fresh water was never a problem because the city apparently had a desalinization system on it with huge tanks for fresh water storage (we hear Grodin mention it I think in Hide & Seek).

I'd have been surprised if there weren't labs devoted to growing food crops, fruits, & veggies on the city as well. In a city the size of Manhattan, our expedition can grow their own food for many years and since there's only about 300 of them, it should be able to last, though I think a little bit of rationing would be beneficial to see, to show how grave the danger is.
                            Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Well, I think that was part of the reason for the mainland--Atlantis had to trade in Season 1 (all the early episodes address their need for food) for supplies. Groups like the Genii and the Minerians were approached for food.

But I also assumed it was in part because crops take time to grow, so the Lanteans would need the immediate supplies before their crops came in. We know the Athosians were growing crops because it's mentioned a few times, especially in "The Storm". But I think that was for their people, not necessarily for Atlantis.

I also think you could do hydroponics on Atlantis; we do know that fresh water was never a problem because the city apparently had a desalinization system on it with huge tanks for fresh water storage (we hear Grodin mention it I think in Hide & Seek).

I'd have been surprised if there weren't labs devoted to growing food crops, fruits, & veggies on the city as well. In a city the size of Manhattan, our expedition can grow their own food for many years and since there's only about 300 of them, it should be able to last, though I think a little bit of rationing would be beneficial to see, to show how grave the danger is.
                              *nods* Definitely need to do some hydroponics. I can see that being set up and running by the time we get to SS6, so it's really just a question of sliding some references to it into the stories.

And surely they can find some sea life that's edible... I can't get that giant lobster in Lantea's ocean that Rodney was talking about in Echoes out of my head.

Eri, I found an Elizabeth fic that I think you'll enjoy that addresses the kind of preparations that the expedition should've made before leaving Earth in Rising, and the kind of things we may need to think about in Season 7. It's the sort of worldbuilding that I always wanted to see on the show.

City on the Edge of Forever, by synecdochic.

Enjoy!
                              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

While I didn't have any real problem with ignoring a lot of questions about how they got food and other products, I do see that it is something to think about. I don't really blame TPTB for not spending a lot of time on mundane facts.

I think though that by the fifth year Atlantis would have put some sort of hydroponics lab into operation. Katie Brown was all busy with ferns and exotic specimens but they also needed to be figuring out how to grow food. A few sentences about how they taught the Athosians to grow lettuce would have been nice. I was also amused by the salads and fresh fruit. Apples would make it 3 weeks on the Daedalus but I'm not sure about oranges and lettuce. Not to mention bread for John's turkey sandwiches. For awhile in S1 they were eating MRE's and bargaining for food. Then in S2 they seemed to have anything they wanted. Having worked in the restaurant business I know that their meals would have been much like what you'd find at your average Denny's without fresh fruits and veggies. And I would love to have met their kitchen staff. Maybe an eccentric dietician/cafeteria manager named Ruby with a crush on Ronon who keeps trying to fatten up John with little success. Sounds like an idea for S7. But I'm seriously getting ahead of myself.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X