Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Daaaaamn. That is awesome! (and no, I still haven't seen Avatar yet. Darnit.) But I see/hear what you mean; there's just this deeper level of intensity and epic mood to these pieces.

Now I've got a bit of an idea for a trailer, or at least the beginning of one, for Elizabeth's arc. (maybe for House of Mirrors?) First comes a montage of the key scenes leading up to her loss in Lifeline and moments with her duplicates, all in black and white (so it gives the idea of being presented like a flashback), accompanied by a solo boy soprano voice, just wordless tones:
    - the introduction of the Asuran Replicators in Progeny and Elizabeth being infected
    - a bit from TRW (including the moment when John breaks quarantine and grabs Elizabeth's hand)
    - from First Strike, the Replicator attack on Atlantis, Oberoth taunting them, and that iconic shot of Elizabeth getting thrown back as the control tower is hit
    - clips of her surgery and waking up in Adrift
    - the Clone!Team in TMC and the clips of John and Clone!Elizabeth talking in the forest
    - BAMSR, Asuras getting blown up, and the final scene with Repli!Weir
    - GitM, Repli!Weir spelling out her name in the computer and asking for John, that lingering look between FRANibeth and John before she walks through the gate and spaces herself. Maybe that last little bit where she drifts off to "sleep" in the vacuum of space.

The screen fades to black, and the sound fades to silence for a moment, then is replaced by the growing sound of waves lapping against a beach. Then the trailer goes to color footage of the team's efforts to rescue her, and the music kicks into overdrive with the kind of building, epic crescendo like in the Avatar trailer.

Of course, I have zero skill in making videos, so someone else would have to try this. But it's an idea.
    That would be really cool. Only trouble would be finding the right clips for the rescue. Hmm... what eps would they come from? (and I'm not volunteering persay, I'm just wondering)
    My idea uses the throwbacks to the past too. I was thinking something like:

Spoiler:
    In Season 1... Atlantis rose from the depths --> clips from 'Rising'

In Season 3... an old enemy changed Atlantis forever --> clips from FS (Liz and window)

In Season 5... the city returned to Earth indefinitely --> clips from EATG (city flying, end balcony scene)

In Season 6... We Fix It --> all the clips for our S6, maybe with some more text in there that I haven't thought of yet
    sigpic
    Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      For someone who claims to have zero skills, you're coming out way on top with this idea.

To cut from one scene to the next, there could be these little fade outs, which I personally always sort of perceive as threatening or forshadowing of what is to come next.
      Heh! Well, what I mean is, I've never made a video before. Visualizing what I'd like to see is one thing, but actually putting the video and music clips is quite another.

And rereading that list, I realized that I forgot the all important scene in Lifeline where Elizabeth orders John to leave her behind. Gah!

Originally posted by Erin87 View Post
      That would be really cool. Only trouble would be finding the right clips for the rescue. Hmm... what eps would they come from? (and I'm not volunteering persay, I'm just wondering)
      *nods* I know what you mean, I'm having the same problem.

Spoiler:

In Season 3... an old enemy changed Atlantis forever --> clips from FS (Liz and window)

In Season 5... the city returned to Earth indefinitely --> clips from EATG (city flying, end balcony scene)

In Season 6... We Fix It --> all the clips for our S6, maybe with some more text in there that I haven't thought of yet
      I like it! Had a thought for some alternate text...

Spoiler:
      'The Lost City rose from the depths' - Rising & Season 1 clips
      'An old enemy changed Atlantis forever' - Elizabeth and the exploding window
      'One of their own was taken from them' - Lifeline - John has to leave Elizabeth
      'Atlantis returned to where it all began' - EatG clips
      'Now... it's time to set things right' - our S6 clips
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

*drops in*

Heh. I think when we've finally got the season completed, we should print out everything, the stories, artwork, etc., write a cover letter thanking Joe for all his hard work on SGA and being such an inspiration to us and sign all our names to it (or at least our nicknames), put it all into a binder, and then give it to him at the next convention he appears at.
        Oh, that's a great idea!

Oh, and what do you guys think of this music for the trailer? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcjxrs-upic
        I finally did some research today.
        I like this one more than the second one you posted, to be honest. And Falcon Horus -- I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has a unique liking for epic orchestral trailer music!

Heh! Well, what I mean is, I've never made a video before. Visualizing what I'd like to see is one thing, but actually putting the video and music clips is quite another.

Spoiler:
        'The Lost City rose from the depths' - Rising & Season 1 clips
        'An old enemy changed Atlantis forever' - Elizabeth and the exploding window
        'One of their own was taken from them' - Lifeline - John has to leave Elizabeth
        'Atlantis returned to where it all began' - EatG clips
        'Now... it's time to set things right' - our S6 clips
        I think you should give it a try sometime, SK! Visualizing is the first step after all -- for me, at least, mental visualization and putting clips together go hand in hand. The hardest part, IMO, is the colour grading, but that's not necessary at all and most vidmakers don't do that (I only did it half the time).

I like the text you wrote there as well -- it basically sets up the premise for the project.

Comment

Well, there's a lot I wanted to comment on since I was last here, but I really can't be bothered after captaining the ship of fools today

Welcome back Reiko Seems like all the familiar faces/names are coming back

I realised last night that I could actually alter one of my fics that I am yet to complete to actually fit into this storyline - I may write it & submit it for consideration. I don't think I can match the general tone of the other writers, we'll see.

Anyway, sounds like you've got everything under control, ideas coming thick & fast, so I'll pop back later
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ddc View Post
            On ATA, Replicators & Ancient Tech: Replicators can use Ancient Tech (see The Return). Remember they were created by the Ancients to help them fight the Wraith so there would have been no reason to block them. I imagine the nanites have an artificial/mechanical version of ATA.

So Elizabeth, probably post First Strike but definitely once Oberoth fully activated her nanites, would have the ability to use the tech, and that should still be true with whatever form of nanites remain in her after Carson/Jennifer/Jeannie/Rodney "fix" her.

Potential lighter B plot for a late season episode - John teaching Elizabeth to pilot a jumper.
            I'd add that they could only use systems that were already activated, much like anyone without the ATA. This was why they couldn't use the control chair to fire drones, and why nobody was in it when they activated the stardrive. Remember in The Tower Rodney could fire up the stardrive without the chair too
            sigpic

Comment

Visualizing a vid is one thing... but then it turns out you just can't get it to work the way you see it. I hate that. But then I learned about Sony Vegas Movie Studio... and some of my problems dissolved into nothingness.

You know those titles you mention - they could fit perfectly with those little fade outs. Like in the Avatar trailer where all of James Cameron's big hits are front and center in between the images from Avatar itself.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                I think you should give it a try sometime, SK! Visualizing is the first step after all -- for me, at least, mental visualization and putting clips together go hand in hand. The hardest part, IMO, is the colour grading, but that's not necessary at all and most vidmakers don't do that (I only did it half the time).
                Heh! I think I'll leave it to the experts, though. Photoshop is enough of a handful.

I like the text you wrote there as well -- it basically sets up the premise for the project.
                Yup. Maybe we could use it for an "extended" trailer for the entire season (like how some studios do exclusive trailers to be shown at Comic-Con, and the like).

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                I'd add that they could only use systems that were already activated, much like anyone without the ATA. This was why they couldn't use the control chair to fire drones, and why nobody was in it when they activated the stardrive. Remember in The Tower Rodney could fire up the stardrive without the chair too
                Well, we don't actually know for certain that the Replicators couldn't use the control chair or anything else requiring a gene carrier to use it, as nothing was ever said in the episode to indicate that was the case. They may simply have rerouted everything to the control room for convenience.

Visualizing a vid is one thing... but then it turns out you just can't get it to work the way you see it. I hate that. But then I learned about Sony Vegas Movie Studio... and some of my problems dissolved into nothingness.
                Heh!

You know those titles you mention - they could fit perfectly with those little fade outs. Like in the Avatar trailer where all of James Cameron's big hits are front and center in between the images from Avatar itself.
                Mmm, that they could!
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Hola mi amigas y amigos de la sparky! (I have no idea if sparky is masculine, feminine, or a neuter noun. Feminine sounds better though.)

I have no video making skills, but it sounds like y'all are tossing around some great ideas. With classical music, I always had this funny idea of having the team bumbling around in the dark set to "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies." And ya can never go wrong with the gallant charge with "Oh Fortuna." (Think the last infantry assault in Glory)

Oh here's a funny cold opening I might use in "Run Through the Jungle."
                  Spoiler:
                  (Scene opens with Shep's team plus Lizzie in a jumper having just gone through the gate. Lizzie is piloting.)
                  See Elizabeth nothing to it.
                  You're right. Flying is very relaxing.
                  The real fun comes when you're pulling ten "g's" with a bogey on your six.
                  I don't know if I'm ready for that. (Small grin at Shep.)
                  With these babies all ya gotta do is think it. (Shep smiles back.)
                  That does make it easier.
                  Just stay foc...
                  (Interrupted by Lizzie skimming the tree tops)
                  Hey, careful! (slightly annoyed)
                  Sorry. (Lizzie grins sheepishly at everyone.)
                  Just stay focused.
                  I'm trying, John.
                  Hey watch out for that mountain!
                  I see it!
                  Just making sure!
                  I can't focus with you yelling.
                  I'm not yelling! (Actually is yelling.)
                  Stop yelling! (Now Lizzie yells.)
                  Hey mom, dad. How about one of you focus on flying.
                  MCKAY!
                  "I only understand about 1% of what she says half of the time."

Comment

Originally posted by pkprd869 View Post
                    Hola mi amigas y amigos de la sparky! (I have no idea if sparky is masculine, feminine, or a neuter noun. Feminine sounds better though.)
                    *snickers*

I have no video making skills, but it sounds like y'all are tossing around some great ideas. With classical music, I always had this funny idea of having the team bumbling around in the dark set to "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies." And ya can never go wrong with the gallant charge with "Oh Fortuna." (Think the last infantry assault in Glory)
                    'Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies?!' *dies laughing*

Spoiler:
                    (Scene opens with Shep's team plus Lizzie in a jumper having just gone through the gate. Lizzie is piloting.)
                    Just stay foc...
                    Just stay focused.
                    I'm trying, John.
                    I see it!
                    Just making sure!
                    MCKAY!
                    Hahahahahah!!!! That's priceless!

Comment

Hate that too
                      Didn't know about Sony Vegas Movie Studio ... I use Corel Video Studio Pro, is Sony better? I'm searching for a program with more filters and transitions

Comment

Spoiler:
                        Just stay foc...
                        Just stay focused.
                        I'm trying, John.
                        I see it!
                        Just making sure!
                        MCKAY!
                        That's perfect. And since John called them all kids in Submersion while Lizzie was in the co-pilot seat, it fits right into canon.
                        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Daaaaamn. That is awesome! (and no, I still haven't seen Avatar yet. Darnit.) But I see/hear what you mean; there's just this deeper level of intensity and epic mood to these pieces.

Now I've got a bit of an idea for a trailer, or at least the beginning of one, for Elizabeth's arc. (maybe for House of Mirrors?) First comes a montage of the key scenes leading up to her loss in Lifeline and moments with her duplicates, all in black and white (so it gives the idea of being presented like a flashback), accompanied by a solo boy soprano voice, just wordless tones:
                          - the introduction of the Asuran Replicators in Progeny and Elizabeth being infected
                          - a bit from TRW (including the moment when John breaks quarantine and grabs Elizabeth's hand)
                          - from First Strike, the Replicator attack on Atlantis, Oberoth taunting them, and that iconic shot of Elizabeth getting thrown back as the control tower is hit
                          - clips of her surgery and waking up in Adrift
                          - Sheppard has to leave Elizabeth behind on Asuras in Lifeline
                          - the Clone!Team in TMC and the clips of John and Clone!Elizabeth talking in the forest
                          - BAMSR, Asuras getting blown up, and the final scene with Repli!Weir
                          - GitM, Repli!Weir spelling out her name in the computer and asking for John, that lingering look between FRANibeth and John before she walks through the gate and spaces herself. Maybe that last little bit where she drifts off to "sleep" in the vacuum of space.

The screen fades to black, and the sound fades to silence for a moment, then is replaced by the growing sound of waves lapping against a beach. Then the trailer goes to color footage of the team's efforts to rescue her, and the music kicks into overdrive with the kind of building, epic crescendo like in the Avatar trailer.

Of course, I have zero skill in making videos, so someone else would have to try this. But it's an idea.
                          That's really cool!

For someone who claims to have zero skills, you're coming out way on top with this idea.

To cut from one scene to the next, there could be these little fade outs, which I personally always sort of perceive as threatening or forshadowing of what is to come next.
                          *drops in*

Oh, that's a great idea!

I like this one more than the second one you posted, to be honest. And Falcon Horus -- I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has a unique liking for epic orchestral trailer music!

I much prefer visualizing to actual editing. If I could spend all my time developing creative concepts and finding music and then letting other more talented people edit, I'd be a happy camper. Unfortunately, short staffed typically means 'do it yourself' though for most of our commercials I only write scripts.

Spoiler:

The 'we fix it' made me giggle. I like the alternative text suggested. I'm currently trying to brainstorm a local commercial for a friend, so I'm tapped out right now for ideas. Somehow 'happy feet' is going to work it's way into a tag if I'm not careful.

Spoiler:
                          Just stay foc...
                          Just stay focused.
                          I'm trying, John.
                          I see it!
                          Just making sure!
                          MCKAY!
                          OMG I LOVE IT!

One thing I did want to duly note--check back on the sequences in Atlantis where Rodney is learning to fly the puddle jumper--we probably don't want Lizzie to sound too much like him. Honestly, I don't remember many scenes, but just a continuity check so we're not duplicating personalities.
                          Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                            That's really cool!

I much prefer visualizing to actual editing. If I could spend all my time developing creative concepts and finding music and then letting other more talented people edit, I'd be a happy camper. Unfortunately, short staffed typically means 'do it yourself' though for most of our commercials I only write scripts.

The 'we fix it' made me giggle. I like the alternative text suggested. I'm currently trying to brainstorm a local commercial for a friend, so I'm tapped out right now for ideas. Somehow 'happy feet' is going to work it's way into a tag if I'm not careful.

OMG I LOVE IT!

One thing I did want to duly note--check back on the sequences in Atlantis where Rodney is learning to fly the puddle jumper--we probably don't want Lizzie to sound too much like him. Honestly, I don't remember many scenes, but just a continuity check so we're not duplicating personalities.
                            The beginning of The Defiant One has Rodney learning and John being all tense and yelling. I think he'd be a bit more gentle with Elizabeth and apologize for yelling.
                            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                              The beginning of The Defiant One has Rodney learning and John being all tense and yelling. I think he'd be a bit more gentle with Elizabeth and apologize for yelling.
                              Thank you!

Alright...to keep this brainstorming going, how about we move onto a slow episode-by-episode discussion session?

The Sparky Season 6 community, which you can find at the link below my sig picture, has places for people to comment, or you can comment here. It's an open journal community, so you don't have to be a member to read the background stories. You do have to be an approved member to comment at the journal, however you can post your thoughts here and I'll transfer them.

Since not everyone has seen through all 5 seasons, we'll be relying on those who have to fill in blanks.

Right now, I'd like to open discussion on our Season 6 premiere, working title "The Return to Pegasus".

Right now we need:

Writers
                              Title

You've seen the general premise--now we need to hammer this out--and this is one we need to hammer out well, with all writers understanding the entire build of this episode, since so many will refer back to it during their own episodes.

As the set-up for our season, it's also the set of episodes that will drive the Wraith storyline, the Pegasus coalition storyline, and the emotions of our characters for Season 6. For me, this is the most important episode for us to all be on the same page for.

As such, I have one limitation to this episode--only a person (or people) who have seen every episode of Atlantis can qualify as a writer for this story. I think we'll need their understanding to push forward.

Also, our editors/fact-checkers are important here. Whenever an idea is 'brainstormed', let us know if any facts or details have been overlooked or are wrong. This will be about as important as the actual writing.

So, starting now, discussion on "Return to Pegasus" is open.
                              Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Today is a big day. I know it' s not my job but....Tonight: Fiesta en la Sparky casa (homie, you make me want to speak in spanish).
                                In France and some countries in Europe is "La chandeleur". I don't know if you have this in your country (Groundhog Day but it's not the same.)
                                You have to come to our fiesta. All the actors will be there. The only thing you have to do during this, it is eating this. Link 1 link 2
                                And don't forget a coin. No I don't take money.
                                "In France, Candlemas (French: La Chandeleur) is celebrated with crêpes, which must be eaten only after eight p.m. If the cook can flip a crêpe while holding a coin in the other hand, the family is assured of prosperity throughout the coming year" (Thank you Wikipédia lol)
                                sigpic
                                Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                                X