Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
    That totally suck, FH. Hopefully things will all work out in the end for you.
    I applied for a different job last night. I think I'll be doing some more applying in my not so distant future. I'm a pro at it now anyways. Two-year experience.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Yeah, I think this may be the right decision too. It's a shame, but it's best to not be in what's obviously a toxic working environment. But in other news, yay for the new apartment! Hopefully that will take a bit of the sting out of the nastiness of the week.
    I've been there before, don't want to be there again... so yeah...

And yup, getting the good news on the new place was nice. And then we realized we'd have to pack all our stuff and disassemble all our furniture.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Whoops! We won't have that problem either; we do have a square footage limit (we don't want to have a huge house that it takes a week to clean, LOL) but we also don't have grandiose plans for huge mancaves or anything like that either.
      We won't have that problem either. This friend has dreamed all her life about this house, has worked like a dog for 30 years, as has her hubby and now is having to cut back on her dream. I'm laughing and crying for her all at the same time. OTOH, they are putting in an elevator, heated floors (in the South) and 2 guest suites. She has a maid and a personal chef also. LOL

Mr. SR and I are hoping to have a house we can actually take care of ourselves that we can grow old comfortably in. With a screened porch for sitting and rocking and looking at the mountains.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      I applied for a different job last night. I think I'll be doing some more applying in my not so distant future. I'm a pro at it now anyways. Two-year experience.

I've been there before, don't want to be there again... so yeah...

And yup, getting the good news on the new place was nice. And then we realized we'd have to pack all our stuff and disassemble all our furniture.
      Disassembling furniture. OMG. Mr. SR and I are already debating whether to take the office furniture apart or try to move it intact. I'm thinking some burly young men can drag it down the stairs, but he disagrees. Update to come.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        We won't have that problem either. This friend has dreamed all her life about this house, has worked like a dog for 30 years, as has her hubby and now is having to cut back on her dream. I'm laughing and crying for her all at the same time. OTOH, they are putting in an elevator, heated floors (in the South) and 2 guest suites. She has a maid and a personal chef also. LOL
        Oh good lord. We'll have heated floors (but then, we're in the Pacific Northwest, we need 'em), a mud room next to the laundry room, a library/office, our bedroom suites with bathrooms and walk-in closets (if we have guests, they can bloody well stay at one of the inns in the village LOL), and a kick-ass kitchen with walk-in pantry and wine cellar, but we do our own cooking and cleaning.

Mr. SR and I are hoping to have a house we can actually take care of ourselves that we can grow old comfortably in. With a screened porch for sitting and rocking and looking at the mountains.
        We're looking forward to opening up the view through the trees so we can look up the sound and watch the 4th of July fireworks in town from our own veranda while sipping on our beer.

Disassembling furniture. OMG. Mr. SR and I are already debating whether to take the office furniture apart or try to move it intact. I'm thinking some burly young men can drag it down the stairs, but he disagrees. Update to come.
        We went with the burly young men route. Much saner.
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

Oh good lord. We'll have heated floors (but then, we're in the Pacific Northwest, we need 'em), a mud room next to the laundry room, a library/office, our bedroom suites with bathrooms and walk-in closets (if we have guests, they can bloody well stay at one of the inns in the village LOL), and a kick-ass kitchen with walk-in pantry and wine cellar, but we do our own cooking and cleaning.

We're looking forward to opening up the view through the trees so we can look up the sound and watch the 4th of July fireworks in town from our own veranda while sipping on our beer.

We went with the burly young men route. Much saner.
          Yay walk-in pantry. I am demanding one of those. My friends also have a wine room planned. They bought a wine barrel from a winery that we are both members of and are making a table out of it. I said they could throw a piece of wood on top of it for a rustic look, but she said, oh no they would get marble or granite. LOL That is a good idea though if you are having a wine cellar. Ours will be the shelves from Ikea we already have. We are going to turn an extra bedroom into a multiple use exercise/storage area since we won't have a basement. Houzz, I have found, is both a curse and a blessing.

We would love to open up our "mountain" view more but there are strict regs on cutting down large trees. I'm not sure what we will end up with. Anyway, the mountains are all around us and we are at 3000 ft.
          sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

Yay walk-in pantry. I am demanding one of those. My friends also have a wine room planned. They bought a wine barrel from a winery that we are both members of and are making a table out of it. I said they could throw a piece of wood on top of it for a rustic look, but she said, oh no they would get marble or granite. LOL That is a good idea though if you are having a wine cellar. Ours will be the shelves from Ikea we already have. We are going to turn an extra bedroom into a multiple use exercise/storage area since we won't have a basement. Houzz, I have found, is both a curse and a blessing.

We would love to open up our "mountain" view more but there are strict regs on cutting down large trees. I'm not sure what we will end up with. Anyway, the mountains are all around us and we are at 3000 ft.
            Wine barrel with a stone top sounds cool; might be able to get a cutoff from a stone yard at a discount rather than going through an interior decorating shop/Home Depot/etc.

Our property is in one of those special forest use programs where we get a tax break for using it for commercial timber harvest (on the order of every few decades, LOL) and otherwise generally maintaining the site for forest health (removing deadfall and fuel brush to mitigate brush fire hazards, keeping up access trails for those purposes, etc.). So we'll need to take some down anyway; might as well make it useful spots. We did another walk on the lot yesterday and it looks like we have the potential for a really killer panoramic view no matter which way we look. Sounds like yours will be equally awesome, mountains are always glorious. *high-fives*
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

All I have for views is an abandoned church, and when we move it'll be the next block of apartments. And at my parents' house, the yard and the neightbors' yards, and the street with more yards.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

All I have for views is an abandoned church, and when we move it'll be the next block of apartments. And at my parents' house, the yard and the neightbors' yards, and the street with more yards.
                Ah, urban life.

Comment

There is a trend over here for young people, I'd say under 40, to live in more urban areas where they can walk or take public transportation to everything. Some are even giving up cars altogether. Is this happening where you live also? Formerly, they all went for the large home in the suburbs, two cars and a dog, but now, not so much.
                  sigpic

Comment

There is a trend over here for young people, I'd say under 40, to live in more urban areas where they can walk or take public transportation to everything. Some are even giving up cars altogether. Is this happening where you live also? Formerly, they all went for the large home in the suburbs, two cars and a dog, but now, not so much.
                    That is certainly true for my daughter [age 20] and her friends. Right now hubby and I have the large house in the suburbs, 2 cars and cats [not dogs], but I would give anything to downsize. Our house is 3 stories and with kiddo out of the house [college] and hubby traveling all the time for work, it's just me and the cats. Way too much to clean. We have 2 years left and then we move. No idea where yet, wherever the Army sends us.
                    sigpic

Comment

Challenge #70 was a "pick-a-number" mystery challenge. Each number had a color, a number and a poem or song. Any or all the elements could be in the art, or used for inspiration.

Blencathra
                      The prompts were "pink", "four" and a poem.

I've used four screencaps from Inspector George Gently. There is a pale pink filter on each screencap. I couldn't find a poem that conveyed what I wanted to say, so I cheated slightly and used a song lyric (from Never Meant to Fail by Alex Lloyd).

raduzhok
                      orange, 2, song

slizzie1986
                      3, Song Lyrics, Red

RodneyisGodney

Grey, song lyrics and 2(fonts)

FanGirl

purple, 2, poem

Dragongirl
                      red, 3, song

Last edited by mrscopterdoc; 06 April 2015, 12:24 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Challenge #71

If you signed up early for this challenge, you will be assigned a partner. I will be sending those PMs out shortly. If you did not, you are either flying solo, or I can be your task master, I mean kind and gentle partner.

This week we are going to take a long, hard look at ourselves, and our art, and do a little spring cleaning.

Ask yourself, [or your partner] these 3 questions.

1. What have you always wanted to try?
                        2. What scares you about art?
                        3. What do you think you are terrible at?

Now, your challenge is to not only answer those three questions, but use it to make some art! Try something new, something you have always wanted to attempt. Do the thing that scares you! Make some art doing the thing that you think you suck at! No matter how terrible you think your attempt is, please share with us!!

Entries due to me by noon your time Monday April 13.
                        sigpic

Comment

Not so much - it's the other way around really, they flee the city cause it's getting way too expensive to rent or buy a place (be that an appartment or a small house).

Comment

I think you have found a small niche of that old Lizzie hatred. We had a few of those around here back in the day and 99% of it could be traced to the ship wars. Some of those haters must have found that site. Ignore them and enjoy the love over here.
                            Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Have to agree with that. Reddit in general seems to be a cesspool for pretty much every fandom out there, so it's best to just avoid that site altogether. Stay here, Vixen in Violet, you'll be happier!
                            Elizabeth-fans, I know a few on Gateworld. Sparky-fans, know a few too...

But generally, you are going to find that the ladies are just not that much liked in fandom in general.
                            Thanks for the replies. I've made a new account, by the way, since I couldn't change the username on the old one. (I'm also crushed that the name Blue Jello was taken.)

I've also noticed that not many of the women are as well-liked or respected as the male characters are. Such a shame. Those people are missing out, and I wouldn't want to mingle with them anyway.

I've been watching a lot of con videos, since I barely kept up with fandom stuff when I was watching the show, and Joe and Torri and still hilarious. I'd love to be able to see them if they're still touring around. I've never been to a convention, so I was under the assumption that they would have stopped making appearances by now. It's great to know we can still see them, along with the rest of the cast, together and having fun.

I also love Torri's Instagram. I am so behind with this stuff, it's unbelievable. But that just means I have a lot to enjoy now.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

That's definitely going on here on the West Coast too.

Not so much - it's the other way around really, they flee the city cause it's getting way too expensive to rent or buy a place (be that an appartment or a small house).
                              And this is happening as well, too much of the urban housing is too expensive for young people starting out, especially in more popular cities like LA and Seattle.

Originally posted by Indeed. View Post
                              Thanks for the replies. I've made a new account, by the way, since I couldn't change the username on the old one. (I'm also crushed that the name Blue Jello was taken.)
                              You couldn't change your username? I thought the mods would do that if you asked them, unless they've changed that policy recently and won't do it anymore.

Originally posted by Indeed. View Post
                              I've also noticed that not many of the women are as well-liked or respected as the male characters are. Such a shame. Those people are missing out, and I wouldn't want to mingle with them anyway.

I've been watching a lot of con videos, since I barely kept up with fandom stuff when I was watching the show, and Joe and Torri and still hilarious. I'd love to be able to see them if they're still touring around. I've never been to a convention, so I was under the assumption that they would have stopped making appearances by now. It's great to know we can still see them, along with the rest of the cast, together and having fun.

I also love Torri's Instagram. I am so behind with this stuff, it's unbelievable. But that just means I have a lot to enjoy now.
                              Here in the US, Creation's down to only one official Stargate convention, in Chicago, and they don't seem to be at all interested in having a joint Joe & Torri appearance. You might catch one or the other making an individual appearance at other film/TV/comic conventions, especially Torri, as she has been doing some sci-fi/genre projects lately. It seems to be pretty much the same outside the US.

But yeah, we'll always have the con videos of epic fun.

Comment

You couldn't change your username? I thought the mods would do that if you asked them, unless they've changed that policy recently and won't do it anymore.
                                I was under the impression that yes they still do. You can ask only once though. However, I think it's also possible to merge the two accounts, but that's something you'll have ask to know for sure. Just yank Skydiver or Bagpuss' chain... gently.

Comment

Working...
                                X