Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    There are crazy people in every fandom. However, for the time being I have no intention to mingle. I love most of the characters, and madame mayor's deliciously evil.

    The only issue I can find are the obvious green screen bits which are sadly not blending with the real images. However, that reminds me of the first season of Sanctuary. I can look passed it.
    What is so different is that it's the opposite of every fandom I've ever been in. It's usually the M/M slashers bashing the women and talking about the obvious and of course clearly written in and acted same sex love going on. With Once Upon A Time, it's actually femslashers that are doing it. I guess I kinda hoped femslashers would be more mature than M/M slashers, just because the ones that I know that have written it and talked about it are very rational. I never saw the crazy femslashers before, so I thought maybe it didn't happen that way around. That's what I get for being optimistic about something. But those people have sent hate (and worse) Twitter messages to the actors and the producers. If I was an actor, I would never go near sites like Twitter.

    Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    I've been thinking the same thing about the rewatch. Mr. SR is in the middle of his Farscape rewatch. But now I don't have time because every spare minute is spent in the basement deciding what to keep cleaning out stuff to throw/give away. Now that SK has completed her move, I will take over the duty of complaining about packing up. *bows* SR Jr. and Mrs. SR Jr. are coming over on Sunday, and they WILL leave with most, if not all, of his stuffed animals, legos and matchbox cars. *stomps foot*
    Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    *giggles* Good luck with that.
    I second what Scary Kitty says. This house has stuff dating back to the early 1900's in it (my grandmother moved in with us). But then I don't know what I should trash and what might actually be worth something, and I'm way too busy (and completely bogged down with work) to do it.

    But what I will say to Southern Red is that it will be worth it. A friend of mine recently downsized a huge amount, and she is so happy with it.

    Comment


      Hello, again! *peeks in*

      I popped in here, I think, in September...? This time I'm actually back into Stargate. I'm about to begin my rewatch of SG-1 tonight, and I'm already dreaming of when I can start Atlantis again. I've ordered some Fandemonium books to read while watching the show, too, since I had no idea they even existed. Looking forward to the last book that brings back Elizabeth.

      (Spoilering for length)
      Spoiler:
      Anyway, recently I've been frequenting /r/stargate, and for the first time it struck me how unpopular a character Elizabeth seems to be. I think I was in middle and high school when I watched both SG-1 and Atlantis, so perhaps I was too ensconced in the corner of the fandom I was comfortable with - the Sparky corner - to come to know other people's opinions.

      Since it's been years since I've seen the shows, I just don't remember a lot of the plot points people refer to when they say why they don't like her or her decisions. I can't defend her just with what I remember, and it's possible that I wasn't paying attention to some of the problems these fans were so bothered by. I really don't know.

      (Even her signature eyebrow gestures were criticized! I think they're precious.)

      So, I'm a bit afraid that when I watch the show now, I'll see it differently. I mean, I can sort of see her character from their perspective now, but I can't help that she's still my favorite, despite her flaws. I like that she's not a perfect leader, and I like her relationship with the people whose knowledge and opinions she values. I don't believe she's "useless" or "under-qualified" like so many people say, but how to explain that when I don't even remember exactly what happened or how she eventually made her decisions? As a civilian and diplomat, she just had a very different feel to SG-1's commanders, and I appreciate that change in atmosphere, just as I tend to like the exploratory concept of Atlantis more than the military base on Earth.

      ...I'm overthinking this, aren't I? I'm sorry. This is my first time talking about it, and the fandom in general, I suppose, since I noticed this seemingly pervasive dislike of my favorite lady.

      Please tell me there are a lot more Elizabeth/Torri and Sparky fans, or even casual supporters, than I'm seeing on Reddit, which to me seems like 1 out of every 100 people, if even that.

      With all that said, I don't think my Stargate OTP will ever change. & 4 lyfe.


      Nice to see you all again.
      rest easy now

      sigpic

      everything will be all right


      // tumblr //

      Comment


        Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
        But what I will say to Southern Red is that it will be worth it. A friend of mine recently downsized a huge amount, and she is so happy with it.
        Thanks for that bit of support. The next year is going to be daunting, exciting and terrifying all at the same time. I know I will have to part with at least a few things that I am emotionally attached to and can only hope I make the right decisions. But after all is said and done, having a shiny new house will be worth it.

        Originally posted by Vixen in Violet View Post
        Hello, again! *peeks in*

        I popped in here, I think, in September...? This time I'm actually back into Stargate. I'm about to begin my rewatch of SG-1 tonight, and I'm already dreaming of when I can start Atlantis again. I've ordered some Fandemonium books to read while watching the show, too, since I had no idea they even existed. Looking forward to the last book that brings back Elizabeth.

        (Spoilering for length)
        Spoiler:
        Anyway, recently I've been frequenting /r/stargate, and for the first time it struck me how unpopular a character Elizabeth seems to be. I think I was in middle and high school when I watched both SG-1 and Atlantis, so perhaps I was too ensconced in the corner of the fandom I was comfortable with - the Sparky corner - to come to know other people's opinions.

        Since it's been years since I've seen the shows, I just don't remember a lot of the plot points people refer to when they say why they don't like her or her decisions. I can't defend her just with what I remember, and it's possible that I wasn't paying attention to some of the problems these fans were so bothered by. I really don't know.

        (Even her signature eyebrow gestures were criticized! I think they're precious.)

        So, I'm a bit afraid that when I watch the show now, I'll see it differently. I mean, I can sort of see her character from their perspective now, but I can't help that she's still my favorite, despite her flaws. I like that she's not a perfect leader, and I like her relationship with the people whose knowledge and opinions she values. I don't believe she's "useless" or "under-qualified" like so many people say, but how to explain that when I don't even remember exactly what happened or how she eventually made her decisions? As a civilian and diplomat, she just had a very different feel to SG-1's commanders, and I appreciate that change in atmosphere, just as I tend to like the exploratory concept of Atlantis more than the military base on Earth.

        ...I'm overthinking this, aren't I? I'm sorry. This is my first time talking about it, and the fandom in general, I suppose, since I noticed this seemingly pervasive dislike of my favorite lady.

        Please tell me there are a lot more Elizabeth/Torri and Sparky fans, or even casual supporters, than I'm seeing on Reddit, which to me seems like 1 out of every 100 people, if even that.

        With all that said, I don't think my Stargate OTP will ever change. & 4 lyfe.


        Nice to see you all again.
        I think you have found a small niche of that old Lizzie hatred. We had a few of those around here back in the day and 99% of it could be traced to the ship wars. Some of those haters must have found that site. Ignore them and enjoy the love over here.
        sigpic

        Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

        Comment


          Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

          Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
          I second what Scary Kitty says. This house has stuff dating back to the early 1900's in it (my grandmother moved in with us). But then I don't know what I should trash and what might actually be worth something, and I'm way too busy (and completely bogged down with work) to do it.

          But what I will say to Southern Red is that it will be worth it. A friend of mine recently downsized a huge amount, and she is so happy with it.
          Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
          Thanks for that bit of support. The next year is going to be daunting, exciting and terrifying all at the same time. I know I will have to part with at least a few things that I am emotionally attached to and can only hope I make the right decisions. But after all is said and done, having a shiny new house will be worth it.
          It will be. We ditched a lot of stuff before the move, and we're already feeling much lighter. Still have a lot that we probably should've gotten rid of as well, but we'll have two years to go through storage and weed out the rest before the new house is done.

          Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
          I think you have found a small niche of that old Lizzie hatred. We had a few of those around here back in the day and 99% of it could be traced to the ship wars. Some of those haters must have found that site. Ignore them and enjoy the love over here.
          Have to agree with that. Reddit in general seems to be a cesspool for pretty much every fandom out there, so it's best to just avoid that site altogether. Stay here, Vixen in Violet, you'll be happier!
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

          Comment


            Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
            What is so different is that it's the opposite of every fandom I've ever been in. It's usually the M/M slashers bashing the women and talking about the obvious and of course clearly written in and acted same sex love going on. With Once Upon A Time, it's actually femslashers that are doing it. I guess I kinda hoped femslashers would be more mature than M/M slashers, just because the ones that I know that have written it and talked about it are very rational. I never saw the crazy femslashers before, so I thought maybe it didn't happen that way around. That's what I get for being optimistic about something. But those people have sent hate (and worse) Twitter messages to the actors and the producers. If I was an actor, I would never go near sites like Twitter.


            Really? That's never cool.

            I'm hopelessly in love with Snow White/Prince Charming or Mary Margaret/David as they go in Storybrook. Beyond that I haven't really felt the need to strongly ship any of the characters. They've all got great chemistry. But Snow/James -- that's definitely my OTP.

            Originally posted by Vixen in Violet View Post
            Please tell me there are a lot more Elizabeth/Torri and Sparky fans, or even casual supporters, than I'm seeing on Reddit, which to me seems like 1 out of every 100 people, if even that.
            Elizabeth-fans, I know a few on Gateworld. Sparky-fans, know a few too...

            But generally, you are going to find that the ladies are just not that much liked in fandom in general.

            Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
            Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!
            Definitely not a good morning, and far from a pretty friday for me.

            I've just had the worst possible week at my new job, that I'm actually writing my letter of resignation.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

            Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

            Comment


              Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post

              It will be. We ditched a lot of stuff before the move, and we're already feeling much lighter. Still have a lot that we probably should've gotten rid of as well, but we'll have two years to go through storage and weed out the rest before the new house is done.
              Two years, wow. We are planning to rent a place down there and live like hoarders to avoid paying for storage. I can see us now with a maze of boxes all through the house. I think our place will be ready in less than a year. We'll know more when we meet with the builder in May.

              Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post


              Definitely not a good morning, and far from a pretty friday for me.

              I've just had the worst possible week at my new job, that I'm actually writing my letter of resignation.
              Aww, that's a shame, and you were so excited about the new job.
              sigpic

              Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                Aww, that's a shame, and you were so excited about the new job.
                I was... I know. But as of wednesday I am caught in between two departments, the one I work for and the one that my colleagues work for. Both departments have a budget, my department doesn't want to spend money on training me, and the other department doesn't want to spend money on having their people train me. So, hence I'm caught between two fires.

                More work-related drama under the cut...
                Spoiler:
                Worst part - when my supervisor asked me how things were going, I casually mentioned I'm eager to learn but that sometimes it's hard cause there's little I can actually do right now. I'm too green to operate in the well oiled machine. Instead she twisted my words around and blamed my colleagues that they didn't give me anything to do. And then this morning, one of the guys asked me about a mail I supposedly sent out, which I didn't, where I talked behind their backs. Blamed me for getting yelled at, and for having most of his work taken away from him. Like I wasn't already feeling immensely guilty for the supervisor twisting my words into something they weren't and suddenly making sure the others were no longer allowed to work on anything that is from my department. I quite literally don't know anything of the workings, and nobody's telling me anything useful either.

                I have to admit I nearly broke down in tears... good thing I'm suffering from a wee allergy surge and thus was already sniffing and tearing up. But I did nearly got up and leave, and I did bite my best friend's head off when we were leaving for lunch. I don't need that sort of ****, damn it.

                I've written my letter. It's not yet dated. I don't have to go to work on monday (day after Easter) so I'm going to send an email to my supervisor that I want to have a chat about the work, and my training. And if they're still going to bicker over where I should be or who can and can't help or train me. I'll date it, and resign. There's no way, I'm going through that same **** again... I've been there already. I dealt with a burn-out and negative stress, and I really can't take that a second time.

                Also, I just applied for a ICT helpdesk job at the University.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

                Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  Definitely not a good morning, and far from a pretty friday for me.

                  I've just had the worst possible week at my new job, that I'm actually writing my letter of resignation.
                  Oh no! That's so disappointing, you were really looking forward to working there. Hopefully it was just an off week. *hugs you*

                  ETA: Just read your new post. OMG office drama. That totally SUCKS. *moar hugs*

                  Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                  Two years, wow. We are planning to rent a place down there and live like hoarders to avoid paying for storage. I can see us now with a maze of boxes all through the house. I think our place will be ready in less than a year. We'll know more when we meet with the builder in May.
                  Unfortunately, there's no way we could fit all our stuff into the rental we're in, even if we could stomach living hoarder-style. There's a lack of rental properties up here, and this was the best one available. It's a nice house, just small. Two years is probably a very generous ballpark estimate; once we get started on the forestry work/harvest (we're waiting on the permits from the county now), that shouldn't take more than a month, and final clearing and prep for the building site should also be fairly quick. Designing the house with the architect probably won't take too long either, but we expect that building will be a little slow simply due to the weather up here. Rain delays aren't just a hazard in baseball.
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

                  Comment


                    And oh yeah... I forgot to mention... but I actually have some good news too. My sister and I found an apartment, not too far from where we live now (150 meters qualifies as not that far, right )... so there will be packing in our future. Any tips?
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

                    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      I was... I know. But as of wednesday I am caught in between two departments, the one I work for and the one that my colleagues work for. Both departments have a budget, my department doesn't want to spend money on training me, and the other department doesn't want to spend money on having their people train me. So, hence I'm caught between two fires.

                      More work-related drama under the cut...
                      Spoiler:
                      Worst part - when my supervisor asked me how things were going, I casually mentioned I'm eager to learn but that sometimes it's hard cause there's little I can actually do right now. I'm too green to operate in the well oiled machine. Instead she twisted my words around and blamed my colleagues that they didn't give me anything to do. And then this morning, one of the guys asked me about a mail I supposedly sent out, which I didn't, where I talked behind their backs. Blamed me for getting yelled at, and for having most of his work taken away from him. Like I wasn't already feeling immensely guilty for the supervisor twisting my words into something they weren't and suddenly making sure the others were no longer allowed to work on anything that is from my department. I quite literally don't know anything of the workings, and nobody's telling me anything useful either.

                      I have to admit I nearly broke down in tears... good thing I'm suffering from a wee allergy surge and thus was already sniffing and tearing up. But I did nearly got up and leave, and I did bite my best friend's head off when we were leaving for lunch. I don't need that sort of ****, damn it.

                      I've written my letter. It's not yet dated. I don't have to go to work on monday (day after Easter) so I'm going to send an email to my supervisor that I want to have a chat about the work, and my training. And if they're still going to bicker over where I should be or who can and can't help or train me. I'll date it, and resign. There's no way, I'm going through that same **** again... I've been there already. I dealt with a burn-out and negative stress, and I really can't take that a second time.

                      Also, I just applied for a ICT helpdesk job at the University.
                      So sorry. It sounds like you might be making the right decision to remove yourself from that situation.

                      Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                      Oh no! That's so disappointing, you were really looking forward to working there. Hopefully it was just an off week. *hugs you*

                      ETA: Just read your new post. OMG office drama. That totally SUCKS. *moar hugs*



                      Unfortunately, there's no way we could fit all our stuff into the rental we're in, even if we could stomach living hoarder-style. There's a lack of rental properties up here, and this was the best one available. It's a nice house, just small. Two years is probably a very generous ballpark estimate; once we get started on the forestry work/harvest (we're waiting on the permits from the county now), that shouldn't take more than a month, and final clearing and prep for the building site should also be fairly quick. Designing the house with the architect probably won't take too long either, but we expect that building will be a little slow simply due to the weather up here. Rain delays aren't just a hazard in baseball.
                      My friends are also in the process of moving and working with an architect. They gave him a list of all their "wants" and he came back with a 6500 sq. ft house. LOL Only a cool 1.2 mil where they will be building. Back to the drawing board with that idea. They must have neglected to tell him their limit was around half that size. They are currently arguing over what happens to their pool table. Mr. SR and I are not going to have that problem.
                      sigpic

                      Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                        So sorry. It sounds like you might be making the right decision to remove yourself from that situation.
                        Exactly my thoughts too.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

                        Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

                        Comment


                          Challenge Update

                          Wanted to do a quick update on the challenge for next week.....it will start Monday April 6th and it involves "pairs". I need to know NOW [before Monday] if you want to do the challenge because I will matching you up in pairs. You and your partner will decide what art to make. You will pick something for your partner and your partner chooses for you! It will help if you are honest and tell them what you like/don't like, and what you think you need to work on. Push your partner to try something new or different, but be nice! They will be doing the same for you!

                          I just thought it would nice to get some one on one feedback and have someone give you a push AND also help through the week.

                          If you are interested, let me know!!
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            I was... I know. But as of wednesday I am caught in between two departments, the one I work for and the one that my colleagues work for. Both departments have a budget, my department doesn't want to spend money on training me, and the other department doesn't want to spend money on having their people train me. So, hence I'm caught between two fires.

                            More work-related drama under the cut...
                            Spoiler:
                            Worst part - when my supervisor asked me how things were going, I casually mentioned I'm eager to learn but that sometimes it's hard cause there's little I can actually do right now. I'm too green to operate in the well oiled machine. Instead she twisted my words around and blamed my colleagues that they didn't give me anything to do. And then this morning, one of the guys asked me about a mail I supposedly sent out, which I didn't, where I talked behind their backs. Blamed me for getting yelled at, and for having most of his work taken away from him. Like I wasn't already feeling immensely guilty for the supervisor twisting my words into something they weren't and suddenly making sure the others were no longer allowed to work on anything that is from my department. I quite literally don't know anything of the workings, and nobody's telling me anything useful either.

                            I have to admit I nearly broke down in tears... good thing I'm suffering from a wee allergy surge and thus was already sniffing and tearing up. But I did nearly got up and leave, and I did bite my best friend's head off when we were leaving for lunch. I don't need that sort of ****, damn it.

                            I've written my letter. It's not yet dated. I don't have to go to work on monday (day after Easter) so I'm going to send an email to my supervisor that I want to have a chat about the work, and my training. And if they're still going to bicker over where I should be or who can and can't help or train me. I'll date it, and resign. There's no way, I'm going through that same **** again... I've been there already. I dealt with a burn-out and negative stress, and I really can't take that a second time.

                            Also, I just applied for a ICT helpdesk job at the University.
                            That totally suck, FH. Hopefully things will all work out in the end for you.
                            I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

                            Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                              My friends are also in the process of moving and working with an architect. They gave him a list of all their "wants" and he came back with a 6500 sq. ft house. LOL Only a cool 1.2 mil where they will be building. Back to the drawing board with that idea. They must have neglected to tell him their limit was around half that size. They are currently arguing over what happens to their pool table. Mr. SR and I are not going to have that problem.
                              Whoops! We won't have that problem either; we do have a square footage limit (we don't want to have a huge house that it takes a week to clean, LOL) but we also don't have grandiose plans for huge mancaves or anything like that either.

                              Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              Exactly my thoughts too.
                              Yeah, I think this may be the right decision too. It's a shame, but it's best to not be in what's obviously a toxic working environment. But in other news, yay for the new apartment! Hopefully that will take a bit of the sting out of the nastiness of the week.
                              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

                              Comment


                                hi all
                                sigpic
                                My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                                poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X