Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Seemed like the only fair thing.

The only thing I knew for sure was that I definitely wanted C-3PO in my image cause I LOVE him. Anthony Daniels is awesomesauce (yes, met him).
    Lucky!! My fave is R2-D2 but C-3PO isn't bad either
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrscopterdoc View Post
      Lucky!! My fave is R2-D2 but C-3PO isn't bad either
      R2 has to sit snugly in second place - though they are quite cuddly. And I got chased by one at Celebration Europe in Essen last year. Much fun to be had.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday! And wow, I totally forgot Tuesday, my bad.
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post

Now, let me put this to the thread: If TPTW had said at the end of s3 (or added a scene into Lifeline - either a flashback or John just voicing it) that Weir and Sheppard had gotten together at the start of season 2 (say, on Earth, after Si/Liz split up), could you have swallowed that retcon? Would it have altered the way you interpreted any subsequent scenes? Would it have made any difference to how the series played out?
          Sorry to be so late on this, but I'm having mega computer problems and have been using only my iPad all week. The stupid thing makes me sign in every time I come here and typing on it is a PUTA, so I had to wait until I got access to Mr. SR's computer which is also having problems and has been hating me until today. Sigh.

Now for my answer to the above. Not only would I not have swallowed it, but I would have hated it. Bones did it that way, and a bunch of heads exploded. It might have worked to do a flashback in Intruder to explain it, but coming on the heels of the Simon betrayal, it would have brought a lot of hate down on our Lizzie. Then there is the kirking. I have gone back and forth on this. Yes, he's single. Yes he's a guy. Yes they think about certain things in a totally different way than women do, but S2 was all about the hot babes either coming on to him or him smirking about them. They could have gotten them together in S3 okay, but it still would have been against the rules and a bunch of fans would have hated it. So, no. His grief for her in S4 changed a lot of minds and worked for me.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
          He Kirked? I never really got that criticism. His eyes popped out of his head with that chick in Inferno, but that seemed mostly about competition with Rodney. There was that chick in The Tower, but that was pretty much her throwing herself at him. If he wanted to 'Kirk", he could have gone about things a lot differently
          True, but it was subtext also in Harmony with the sisters and definitely in Travelers in his convo with Rodney about the "friendly" inhabitants of the planet he had been to. Then there was Larren.
          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
            Sorry to be so late on this, but I'm having mega computer problems and have been using only my iPad all week. The stupid thing makes me sign in every time I come here and typing on it is a PUTA, so I had to wait until I got access to Mr. SR's computer which is also having problems and has been hating me until today. Sigh.
            Oh no! I hate computer problems, they can be a real disruption. Hope everything gets sorted out soon!

Now for my answer to the above. Not only would I not have swallowed it, but I would have hated it. Bones did it that way, and a bunch of heads exploded. It might have worked to do a flashback in Intruder to explain it, but coming on the heels of the Simon betrayal, it would have brought a lot of hate down on our Lizzie. Then there is the kirking. I have gone back and forth on this. Yes, he's single. Yes he's a guy. Yes they think about certain things in a totally different way than women do, but S2 was all about the hot babes either coming on to him or him smirking about them. They could have gotten them together in S3 okay, but it still would have been against the rules and a bunch of fans would have hated it. So, no. His grief for her in S4 changed a lot of minds and worked for me.
            Very true. The post-S4 scenario really seems the most logical progression that still takes into account the, um, distractions in previous seasons.

True, but it was subtext also in Harmony with the sisters and definitely in Travelers in his convo with Rodney about the "friendly" inhabitants of the planet he had been to. Then there was Larren.
            Yup. *shudders*
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
              Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Oh no! I hate computer problems, they can be a real disruption. Hope everything gets sorted out soon!
              It's sort of sorted. Mr. SR found a newer computer for me on Craig's List but has to go about an hour away to pick it up tomorrow night in the middle of rush hour. Then he'll spend a good chunk of Sat getting it all set up. Meanwhile, I'm going to a girls only weekend on my friend's boat. At least I won't be here to hear all the cursing.

Very true. The post-S4 scenario really seems the most logical progression that still takes into account the, um, distractions in previous seasons.
              I realized that I got the timeline mixed up in my last post. Gateraid suggested that the news that they had gotten together early in S2 didn't come until S3. In that case, I'm even more sure that the perceived kirking would have turned off almost everybody to the idea of Sparky. Fans hate retconning, so trying to explain it away would have only made it worse.
              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

It's sort of sorted. Mr. SR found a newer computer for me on Craig's List but has to go about an hour away to pick it up tomorrow night in the middle of rush hour. Then he'll spend a good chunk of Sat getting it all set up. Meanwhile, I'm going to a girls only weekend on my friend's boat. At least I won't be here to hear all the cursing.

I realized that I got the timeline mixed up in my last post. Gateraid suggested that the news that they had gotten together early in S2 didn't come until S3. In that case, I'm even more sure that the perceived kirking would have turned off almost everybody to the idea of Sparky. Fans hate retconning, so trying to explain it away would have only made it worse.
                Ugh, that's for sure! Even when the retconning actually fixes something that really was screwed up and makes the story better, it's annoying because, well, why couldn't the writers do it right in the first place?

Comment

Copter is out of town (she will return home Sun) She wanted me to let everyone know that the challenge is for any and all bad @$$ females it doesn't have to only be comic/superhero women. It can be women from anything, any tv show, movie, or comic.
                  sigpic

Comment

I was on vacation - now I'm back - will be gone again on the 9th...

Had fun at the coast -- it was surprisingly hot there.

Comment

Ahh, technology - sometimes it's just like rolling the dice and letting the fickle winds of fate decide whether or not it will work today

If I were part of TPTB, and they wanted to do sparky, I would have pushed for part way through s3. Possibly during The Return. S3 felt kinda fluffy to me, that would have fit right in That said, s4 would have been the time do it IMO.

Yes, I think you're right in your assessment. I gloss over the Lizzie hate, but it was there, and an introduction of a romance at that point would have hurt the character. The juxtaposition of "I have the full backing of the president, you don't want to fight me on this" and "sooooooo........WHAT shall we do on this three week trip back to the Pegasus Galaxy?" would have been a bit jarring.

I also gloss over the Kirking because, well, if they wanted him to Kirk, then they should have manned up and actually had him, ummmm, seal the deal at some point? We can argue over The Tower because, according to the rules of sci fi, if they didn't show it or categorically state it then it didn't/may not have happened (along the lines of...if you didn't see the body, then they're not dead) and therefore there is wiggleroom on either side of the fence (deleted scene notwithstanding - if it didn't air, then it isn't part of the episode). I'd actually forgotten about Epiphany when I wrote the earlier post *whoooops* Although in his defence, Kirk probably took six minutes (of episode time) rather than six months.

There was a lot of drivel in s2. I gloss over the kirking because I didn't appreciate it (a bit like the s5 fisting - I saw it, rolled my eyes, then pretended it didn't happen), and in the same vein, I only remember the good episodes. As well as giving them marks for doing the good stuff in an episode whilst ignoring the bad => Inferno....taking Lizzie along, good! Removing her at the first sign of danger, good! John checking out Dr Booberella, bad! Lizzie wondering if there was a Dr McWang, bad! (although the way she did it was just so damned endearing) Lizzie knowing the correct emergency measures, good! John knowing exactly what Lizzie would do, good! Lizzie winning over President Mr McKain Crinkle Cut Fries, good! New ship, good! John captaining it in the next episode, good! John saying "you could be a little more chatty Elizabeth", awwwwwwwwww

Harmony? I altered the speed in that episode. From all accounts before I watched it, it sounded like a bomb, and I wasn't prepared to give it a chance on the "eventually poop rises to the top" theory of success

I would never curse you

ETA: oh, wait, you meant Mr SR would be cursing the computer. Doh!

Agreed. I think, if it were to happen, it would have needed to be from FS/Lifeline forward, rather than backward.

My goodness you are a well travelled lemming. Love ya work Also, love your art
                      Last edited by gateraid; 01 August 2014, 11:02 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Hope you're all enjoying this Sparky!Family Saturday!

Humidity can have a hand in that. Being a coastal dweller myself, I have experience with that. And the frizzy hair to prove it. Glad you had fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                          Humidity can have a hand in that. Being a coastal dweller myself, I have experience with that. And the frizzy hair to prove it. Glad you had fun!
                          I'm obviously not a coastal dweller... ...that also explains my hairdo issues.

Next vacation's also coastal, although probably not as warm since it'll be the Connemara area in Ireland.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

I'm obviously not a coastal dweller... ...that also explains my hairdo issues.

Next vacation's also coastal, although probably not as warm since it'll be the Connemara area in Ireland.
                            Oh, that sounds so amazing! Maybe someday I'll get to visit Ireland. Have fun!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Comment

Challenge #40

To celebrate all the super hero/comic book movies that are coming out this summer, this weeks challenge is all about Bad A$$ Ladies, specifically comic book/super heroes/sidekicks/villains.

FanGirl
                                fan fic
                                Spoiler:

The Little Red-Haired Girl

The fireman carried the child to the ambulance so she could be checked out by the paramedics, the older man following close behind. The girl was covered in soot head to toe. So much so that one couldn’t tell the color of her clothing. One shoe was missing and her big green eyes blinked in the brightness of the sun in the sky above Stalingrad, her skinny arms around his neck holding on for dear life.

When the paramedic tried to put her down, she cried and held on tighter, tears making tracks in the dirt on her face. Ivan didn’t blame her. She’d just seen her parents killed in a fire that had burned their home to the ground. The girl herself had been the only survivor due to his actions. Dr. Ivan Petrovitch, a behavioral psychologist, just happened to be driving by when he saw the house ablaze. Unfortunately, he hadn’t been able to save the parents.

The child, no more than seven, shivered as the paramedics placed an oxygen mask over her mouth and nose, and wrapped her in a warm blanket. The female paramedic placed her on the stretcher, strapped her down, cleaned the dirt from her left hand and inserted an IV.

“Will she be alright?” Ivan was concerned when the girl began coughing. The male paramedic examined him as well, and he bore the man’s attention with quiet dignity and grace instead of the annoyance he felt for those he considered his inferiors.

“She’ll be in hospital for a few days, but will be fine.”

Ivan climbed up into the ambulance for the ride to the hospital. “She has no other family. Where will she go?”

“The orphanage, and hopefully from there she will be adopted.”

On the drive to the hospital, Ivan talked quietly with the child, Natalia Romanova. She would be a perfect addition to his newest project with the government.

Over the next few days, Ivan kept in contact with the hospital to get updates on Natalia’s condition. He even visited once, but she hadn’t spoken, just stared despondently out the window. The day she was released, he had been in a conference with the doctors with whom he would work on the project. They already had close to twenty subjects, but there was just something about Natalia that told him she would be his greatest triumph.

When the weekend came, Ivan took the long drive out to the orphanage, spoke with the doctors and administrators, filled out the necessary forms and then was taken to the play yard. There, among the other children laughing and playing, little Natalia sat alone under a tree. Some of the children tried to get her to join them in a game, but she just shook her head and went back to watching the clouds.

“There she is.” Ivan nodded.

The administrator took off his glasses, cleaned and replaced them. “Which one again? We have so many new children just arrived this week.”

“There. Under the tree.” He tried to smile kindly, and it must have worked because the man smiled back. “The little red-haired girl.”

Now that he’d pointed out her most prominent feature, the man nodded. He spoke briefly with one of the women watching over the children. She went to the girl and led her to them. “Hello, Natalia. I am Dr. Utkin and this is Dr. Petrovitch.”

Natalia looked up at Ivan with those big green, innocent eyes. He crouched down in front of the girl. “Hello, Natalia. I’m your new father and you’re going to come live with me.”

The only response from Natalia was to take his hand. He got to his feet and they walked to his car together. One of the matrons had already packed the girl’s meager belongings, most of which had been donated to the orphanage, and included a stuffed bear. She clutched it to her chest as she settled into the back seat. Ivan would let her keep it for now, but later, it would be taken from her as there was no place for the display of sentimentality and weakness in the Black Widow project. Such things would be replaced with more important matters, if his life’s work was to come to fruition.

Over his shoulder he said, “We’ll be there soon, Natalia, and you’ll meet the other children with whom you will be living. Would you like that?”

After a long moment, Natalia spoke for the first time. “Yes, Father."

*Part 1*

The Little Red-Haired Girl
                                Chapter 2

While Natalia awaited her turn for the obstacle course, she performed her warm-up routine. Normally, she would get at the front of the line to set the bar high for the others. She was the best and was frequently on the receiving end of insults and name calling. Dr. Petrovitch showed a marked preference for her over the others, giving her special treatment, and the other girls hated it. Of all the girls who lived with her, she was the only one who had a room to herself. She’d argued against it, but he was adamant that she needed to be alone in order to get adequate sleep.

She’d spent the last five years living in this cold, institutional building and remembered little of her parents. Occasionally, she would have dreams of awakening in the middle of the night to find her bedroom filled with smoke. Sleeping in with the other girls had made the nights she woke up screaming and gasping for air a little more bearable. Now that she was alone at night, she’d learned to muffle the sounds with her pillow before the matron heard and she was punished for getting out of bed for a drink or to splash water on her face.

The line moved again and as she took her place she pictured the course in her mind so that when it was time, she would be ready.

The shrill sound of the starting whistle blasted in her right ear, but that didn’t impact her concentration at all. Vaulting into a flat out run, she jumped the hurdles one after another without touching them then climbed up the fence, over the top and down the other side.

At the mud pit, she grabbed the long rope and swung, lifting her feet and letting go at the apex of the swing to land in a crouch. Breaking into a run, she rounded the huge tree and headed back. When she reached the balance beam, she didn’t slow down.

Jumping off the end, she rushed to the monkey bars. The near end was lower than the far end, each of the first five bars lower than the previous one then they angled up again until she was six feet off the ground. On the last bar, she swung herself to get momentum, letting go at just the right point to allow her to land on the bottom rung of the rope ladder.

She swarmed up to the top and down the back. Running to the opposite end, she lifted her knees high as she ran the tire obstacle.

Next up was a water hazard that was meant to resemble a small stream that she would have to leap over, which she did with ease.

A blank wall was just ahead. Picking up speed, she used her feet to push herself high enough to reach the top, flip over and jump down the other side. Another wall behind that one had a square cut out of it that resembled a window. Pushing off with both feet, she dove through, rolled to her feet, picking up speed until she crossed the finish line well ahead of her opponent. A nurse was there with cups of cool water and a towel to wipe her face and neck with.

The hairs on the back of her neck stood on end as the feeling of being watched made her want to run and hide. Walking in a circle to let her heart rate come down slowly, she saw Dr. Petrovitch standing in the shadow of the dormitory. Without even a nod of acknowledgment, he turned and went back inside.

Natalia didn’t know why he watched her so closely, but she didn’t like it. There was nothing she could do about it and so did not give it another thought.

The other girls glared at her as the trainer herded them inside to shower and have lunch. Today marked the first day of a new type of training. The instructors wouldn’t say what it entailed except that it was important that they do well or they would be out of the program.

That thought frightened Natalia. Time could be filled with studying or practicing her physical skills. But knowing that she’d failed the only father she knew was the most frightening of all.

~~O~~

Ivan watched Natalia on the screen as she completed the obstacle course in record time. None of the other girls had run, jumped, climbed, crawled and swung through the physical tests with the same skill and accuracy. She had also taken to the martial arts and hand-to-hand training with enthusiasm often injuring her trainers.

Younger than the others by a year, he could foresee a day when she too would succumb to the changes that were inevitable. The signs were already there-she’d grown a full two inches taller in the last two months. And according to her blood work, it was only a matter of time before she began to have a cycle. He’d seen it with the other girls. During those days, they would complain of pain in their lower abdomens, headaches, anger, irritability, fatigue, lack of energy, the loss of concentration. For her to be able to perform the intended functions of the Black Widows in the future, something had to be done now.

*Part 2*

Natalia was his most promising subject, his shining triumph in a career that had been undistinguished until he’d caught the attention of the head of the KGB, Nikolai Solovynov. The minister had seen Ivan’s potential to create the ultimate weapon against their enemies. One from which very few men would be immune. The only drawback to using females was their monthly physical imperatives that began with the onset of puberty.

In a separate area of the Red Room research facility, that team had come up with a way to halt the imperatives without stunting the growth of the individual. It had been tried with others and had failed. In several cases, they girls had bled to death or it had created mental difficulties that excluded them from the program.

Ivan turned to his assistant, a young and very bright geneticist by the name of Artyom Kuznetsov taking notes on a clipboard. “Begin administering the serum tonight. Half cc to start. Take blood every three days, increasing the dosage as the need arises.”

The Beginning

Blencathra

JadedWraith

Raduzhok

RodneyisGodney

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X