No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huh. Good way to save money. Get stuck in another galaxy so you can't spend anything.

Sorry. Random musing. I'll pay attention now.

Comment

Originally posted by ajay View Post
      Huh. Good way to save money. Get stuck in another galaxy so you can't spend anything.
      Kinda unfortunate when you die in that other galaxy... You can't enjoy all those savings then.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Sorry. Random musing. I'll pay attention now.
        But just imagine all the junk food they can stock up on whenever they go back to Earth for their two weeks' vacation!

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Kinda unfortunate when you die in that other galaxy... You can't enjoy all those savings then.
        Whoops.

Anyway, starting tomorrow I'm going to be off for the next four days for the great fandom convergence known as Comic-Con San Diego! So, have fun while I'm gone and try not to burn down the internet without me!
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
          So, have fun while I'm gone and try not to burn down the internet without me!
          I can't make no promises.

Comment

Originally posted by zbir View Post
            *dies of laughter*
            ( I ponder to start a Gateraid fan club. ..But ..I could never worship someone who doesn't like Led Zeppelin ... On the other hand, I might just use a schizoid reasoning for the issue.. hmm..) *ponders*
            If you met me, you wouldn't be a fan. I've met a lot of people, and very few are

Hey folks, would like to ask your honest opinion about something:

Had Atlantis survived in the Pegasus Galaxy, had Elizabeth survived, do you think she and John could have really sustained a relationship? She's the boss and he's a subordinate and even though there are technically no rules against it, they are required to work together under very stressful conditions. In a similar real-life situation, most would say it's an extraordinarily bad idea. Things could go south very quickly if the relationship soured.

So taking away your ship-colored glasses for a few moments, what do you think?
            Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
            I'm a bit late to the conversation, but here goes...

I think a relationship between the two in their early job roles would be very problematic. I have the same argument against all the other John ships too, for that matter. They all have a superior/subordinate role, which they showed for years on SG-1 as a big deal. Yes, none of the John ships have it quite as bad as Sam/Jack because they're not in the same organization, and I've seen it argued that Teyla wasn't John's subordinate because she just "chose" to follow his orders and she isn't in the military. But the fact is that she DID follow his orders. So did Rodney and Ronon. And if they didn't, then John would dress them down. The same as Elizabeth dressed John down when he didn't follow orders like in Hot Zone.

So in the framework of the show, I don't think it would have felt realistic to have them in a relationship in their leadership roles. I remember another thread from years ago where this was discussed, and there were a few people who said they had always liked the dynamic between John and Elizabeth but couldn't get on board due to the employer/employee stuff. But then in Season 4, Elizabeth isn't John's boss any more so it seems like all bets are off. I remember people in that thread saying they thought the ship was then completely plausible.

So if they had rescued Elizabeth as they SHOULD HAVE, and brought back Torri as they SHOULD HAVE, then John and Elizabeth could have easily had a relationship with Elizabeth being a diplomat/etc., who sometimes goes out with the team.
            Well, as has been pointed out, it definitely could have worked, but it would have all hinged on the execution. One only needs to look at BSG to see that - MaamAdama is pretty much the same relationship. However I get the impression that TPTB would have just thrown them together and then completely altered how they interacted (aside from the obvious alteration )

Now, let me put this to the thread: If TPTW had said at the end of s3 (or added a scene into Lifeline - either a flashback or John just voicing it) that Weir and Sheppard had gotten together at the start of season 2 (say, on Earth, after Si/Liz split up), could you have swallowed that retcon? Would it have altered the way you interpreted any subsequent scenes? Would it have made any difference to how the series played out?

Kate/John doesn't have that... and she completely ignores the doctor/patient-status.
            Apparently the writers didn't think it was a big deal *cough*McKeller*cough*

But just imagine all the junk food they can stock up on whenever they go back to Earth for their two weeks' vacation!

Whoops.

Anyway, starting tomorrow I'm going to be off for the next four days for the great fandom convergence known as Comic-Con San Diego! So, have fun while I'm gone and try not to burn down the internet without me!
            Have a good time
            sigpic

Comment

Monday.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
              Well, as has been pointed out, it definitely could have worked, but it would have all hinged on the execution. One only needs to look at BSG to see that - MaamAdama is pretty much the same relationship. However I get the impression that TPTB would have just thrown them together and then completely altered how they interacted (aside from the obvious alteration )
              Another ship that broke my heart. But broke it in a satisfying way, instead of Sparky which was in a "^$%#$% stupid frakking producers" way.

Now, let me put this to the thread: If TPTW had said at the end of s3 (or added a scene into Lifeline - either a flashback or John just voicing it) that Weir and Sheppard had gotten together at the start of season 2 (say, on Earth, after Si/Liz split up), could you have swallowed that retcon? Would it have altered the way you interpreted any subsequent scenes? Would it have made any difference to how the series played out?
              Well, I would have first been very excited, but then I would still feel like we got screwed by TPTW. And then thinking about it more - all the "Kirking" he did in season 2 would totally betray that, so.....

Comment

He Kirked? I never really got that criticism. His eyes popped out of his head with that chick in Inferno, but that seemed mostly about competition with Rodney. There was that chick in The Tower, but that was pretty much her throwing herself at him. If he wanted to 'Kirk", he could have gone about things a lot differently
                sigpic

Comment

He Kirked? I never really got that criticism. His eyes popped out of his head with that chick in Inferno, but that seemed mostly about competition with Rodney. There was that chick in The Tower, but that was pretty much her throwing herself at him. If he wanted to 'Kirk", he could have gone about things a lot differently
                  Oh, I agree that he wasn't nearly as bad as some fans would insist, BUT I think if you add up all the following instances it would look bad on John's part if he was in a relationship with Elizabeth at the time: Teyla "kiss" in Conversion, hippie chick sex in Epiphany, alluded to sex with a teenager in The Tower, flirting with blonde "scientist" in Inferno, smiling at random chick in No Man's Land.

None of those things are wrong with John being a free agent (well.... kinda) but if he was in a relationship and you add them up.... well, it wouldn't look right to me.
                  Last edited by JT-2; 28 July 2014, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Hello Everybody,

I am running a little late with the art challenge today. I am going to post the new challenge first, and then I will be back to post the results from last weeks challenge. Thanks for your patience!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Challenge #40

To celebrate all the super hero/comic book movies that are coming out this summer, this weeks challenge is all about Bad A$$ Ladies, specifically comic book/super heroes/sidekicks/villains.

There are SO many to choose from, here is just a tiny list:
                    Heroes: Kitty Pryde (X-Men), Kate Bishop (Hawkeye), Supergirl, Batgirl, Storm (X-Men), Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel, Wonder Woman, Black Canary

Villians; Harley Quinn (Batman), Poison Ivy (Batman), Mystique (X-Men), Catwoman (Batman), Viper aka Madame Hydra, Enchantress (Avengers/Thor), Star Sapphire (Green Lantern)

Groups: Birds of Prey, Avengers, Young Avengers, Justice League, Teen Titans, Fantastic Four, X-Men, X-Force

and there are so many more I didn't list. Movies can count as well, such as Trinity from The Matrix.

There is no need to ask "is so-and-so okay for this challenge".....if *you* think she is bad a$$ then that is all that matters!!

All I do ask is that you please include her name somewhere on the art so those who are not familiar with the bad a$$ lady of your choice can know who she is.

Fan Fic writers......write about your fave bad a$$ lady!!

Entries due to me by noon your time Monday August 4th.
                    sigpic

Comment

Oooooh, I love that challenge!!

Is Scary Kitty back from San Diego Comic Con? I see some Pepper Pots coming from her.

Comment

good
                        sigpic

Comment

Challenge #39 was all about the "stars"....Stargate, Star Trek and Star Wars.

Libero

taris-eirien

RodneyisGodney

JadedWraith

Falcon Horus

I love how you combined all 3 into 1 ~copter

FanGirl
                          fanfic
                          Spoiler:

The Little Red-Haired Girl

The fireman carried the child to the ambulance so she could be checked out by the paramedics, the older man following close behind. The girl was covered in soot head to toe. So much so that one couldn’t tell the color of her clothing. One shoe was missing and her big green eyes blinked in the brightness of the sun in the sky above Stalingrad, her skinny arms around his neck holding on for dear life.

When the paramedic tried to put her down, she cried and held on tighter, tears making tracks in the dirt on her face. Ivan didn’t blame her. She’d just seen her parents killed in a fire that had burned their home to the ground. The girl herself had been the only survivor due to his actions. Dr. Ivan Petrovitch, a behavioral psychologist, just happened to be driving by when he saw the house ablaze. Unfortunately, he hadn’t been able to save the parents.

The child, no more than seven, shivered as the paramedics placed an oxygen mask over her mouth and nose, and wrapped her in a warm blanket. The female paramedic placed her on the stretcher, strapped her down, cleaned the dirt from her left hand and inserted an IV.

“Will she be alright?” Ivan was concerned when the girl began coughing. The male paramedic examined him as well, and he bore the man’s attention with quiet dignity and grace instead of the annoyance he felt for those he considered his inferiors.

“She’ll be in hospital for a few days, but will be fine.”

Ivan climbed up into the ambulance for the ride to the hospital. “She has no other family. Where will she go?”

“The orphanage, and hopefully from there she will be adopted.”

On the drive to the hospital, Ivan talked quietly with the child, Natalia Romanova. She would be a perfect addition to his newest project with the government.

Over the next few days, Ivan kept in contact with the hospital to get updates on Natalia’s condition. He even visited once, but she hadn’t spoken, just stared despondently out the window. The day she was released, he had been in a conference with the doctors with whom he would work on the project. They already had close to twenty subjects, but there was just something about Natalia that told him she would be his greatest triumph.

When the weekend came, Ivan took the long drive out to the orphanage, spoke with the doctors and administrators, filled out the necessary forms and then was taken to the play yard. There, among the other children laughing and playing, little Natalia sat alone under a tree. Some of the children tried to get her to join them in a game, but she just shook her head and went back to watching the clouds.

“There she is.” Ivan nodded.

The administrator took off his glasses, cleaned and replaced them. “Which one again? We have so many new children just arrived this week.”

“There. Under the tree.” He tried to smile kindly, and it must have worked because the man smiled back. “The little red-haired girl.”

Now that he’d pointed out her most prominent feature, the man nodded. He spoke briefly with one of the women watching over the children. She went to the girl and led her to them. “Hello, Natalia. I am Dr. Utkin and this is Dr. Petrovitch.”

Natalia looked up at Ivan with those big green, innocent eyes. He crouched down in front of the girl. “Hello, Natalia. I’m your new father and you’re going to come live with me.”

The only response from Natalia was to take his hand. He got to his feet and they walked to his car together. One of the matrons had already packed the girl’s meager belongings, most of which had been donated to the orphanage, and included a stuffed bear. She clutched it to her chest as she settled into the back seat. Ivan would let her keep it for now, but later, it would be taken from her as there was no place for the display of sentimentality and weakness in the Black Widow project. Such things would be replaced with more important matters, if his life’s work was to come to fruition.

Over his shoulder he said, “We’ll be there soon, Natalia, and you’ll meet the other children with whom you will be living. Would you like that?”

After a long moment, Natalia spoke for the first time. “Yes, Father.”

everlovin

sigpic

Comment

I like the Star Wars Gate banner. Now I don't have to choose.
                            sigpic
                            Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Good morning afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday! So, didja miss me?

Weird, I could swear I had hit 'submit reply' but the post I thought I posted this morning isn't here. Oh well, at least the forum software auto-saves your post-in-progress so I got it back.

Comic-Con was awesome; those of you on Twitter and Tumblr have probably seen my reports from the con (which reminds me, I still need to recap Day 4). I'm gonna miss going next year.

I can't make no promises.
                              Well, it still seems to be standing, so I guess it wasn't too bad.

Monday.
                              Ouch. *hugs you*

Another ship that broke my heart. But broke it in a satisfying way, instead of Sparky which was in a "^$%#$% stupid frakking producers" way.
                              Indeed.

Well, I would have first been very excited, but then I would still feel like we got screwed by TPTW. And then thinking about it more - all the "Kirking" he did in season 2 would totally betray that, so.....
                              I know, right? Badwritingbadwritingbadwriting.

Is Scary Kitty back from San Diego Comic Con? I see some Pepper Pots coming from her.
                              Tempting. VERY tempting.
                              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by mrscopterdoc View Post
                                I love how you combined all 3 into 1 ~copter
                                Seemed like the only fair thing.

The only thing I knew for sure was that I definitely wanted C-3PO in my image cause I LOVE him. Anthony Daniels is awesomesauce (yes, met him).

Well, it still seems to be standing, so I guess it wasn't too bad.
                                I suggest not going into the Political Discussion thread... some parts of GW may be falling over or coming down from the virtual ceiling -- it's a warzone. Beyond that, yeah still standing strong.

Comment

Working...
                                X