No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posting the last entry for the challenge and also reposting one.....I think it might have got 'lost' in the weekend. I will leave these up for about 24 hours then tomorrow [Tuesday] I will post them with all the lovely comments and reveal who did what!

Entry "A"

Entry "B"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I want to keep the challenges on a schedule so I will go ahead and post the new challenge now so you will have the full week to work on it!

Challenge #25
    Entries due to me by 6AM your time Monday March 31st.

This week we're going to get back to more technical work. Make a pair of opposites. Make two sigs, or icons, but make them opposite. One could be color, the other black and white. One could be happy, the other angry. One could be facing left, the other facing right. Whatever 'opposite' means to you.

Fanfic writers, in your story just make sure you showcase 'opposite'. Half of the story could be angry, the other happy, etc. However you want to incorporate "opposite" in your story. Keep in short if possible, under 1000 words.
    sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Good morning!

I made a thing using an app on my iPad for the challenge until I reread it and realized that I didn't do it exactly right. So I'll redo it later, but until then:
        Originally posted by mrscopterdoc View Post
        Posting the last entry for the challenge and also reposting one.....I think it might have got 'lost' in the weekend. I will leave these up for about 24 hours then tomorrow [Tuesday] I will post them with all the lovely comments and reveal who did what!

Entry "A"
        [IMG]http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af187/Oblomow63/Gimp/New%20Challenges/Beckett_zps6d524761.jpg~original[IMG]

Entry "B"
        [IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/dragonsoul76137/My%20Art/Challenge%20Art/free_zpsdbd8ae74.jpg[IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        I want to keep the challenges on a schedule so I will go ahead and post the new challenge now so you will have the full week to work on it!

Challenge #25
        Entries due to me by 6AM your time Monday March 31st.

This week we're going to get back to more technical work. Make a pair of opposites. Make two sigs, or icons, but make them opposite. One could be color, the other black and white. One could be happy, the other angry. One could be facing left, the other facing right. Whatever 'opposite' means to you.

Fanfic writers, in your story just make sure you showcase 'opposite'. Half of the story could be angry, the other happy, etc. However you want to incorporate "opposite" in your story. Keep in short if possible, under 1000 words.
        Spoilered for size:
        Spoiler:
        Last edited by ShipperWriter; 24 March 2014, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post

Spoilered for size:
          Spoiler:
          perfect!! but next time, PM entries to me that way I know I get them. Sometimes I can miss things if they are just posted especially if a thread gets busy.
          sigpic

Comment

I was wondering what that was about.

Started working on a new vid. This one is more Lizzie-centric, but will feature plenty of Sparks.

Heading out, have a good night!
            Ohhh, looking forward to that!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrscopterdoc View Post
              perfect!! but next time, PM entries to me that way I know I get them. Sometimes I can miss things if they are just posted especially if a thread gets busy.
              No problem! I'm actually going to PM you another set because I just made that one for fun. From now on, if I have any submissions for the challenges, they'll be PM'd to you.

Comment

No problem! I'm actually going to PM you another set because I just made that one for fun. From now on, if I have any submissions for the challenges, they'll be PM'd to you.
                Thanks!
                sigpic

Comment

Okay, here's the icons I'm submitting:

Last edited by ShipperWriter; 24 March 2014, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Time for the big reveal in the "learn to love your artwork" challenge! There were SO many comments, they are all in spoilers. And if I missed your comment, please forgive me. I was monitoring 8 threads and I did the best I could.

I hope this shows everyone that even if no one actually says anything, we all do admire and appreciate all the hard work and effort that goes into artwork/writing. Remember that next time you want to say "ugh! my artwork/fan fic is terrible!"

Dragongirl

Spoiler:

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                    Nice to see some OUAT ideas!
                    Great atmosphere to the background, and the positioning of the moon gives a balance between the 2 versions of Ruby. Personally, I would have added some words, something extra to tie the two togeather, but that is merely a personal preference and not a real critique of the picture as it stands. 2 thumbs up!!
                    Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
                    This sig is beautiful! I love that we see the moon peeking out between the trees as apposed to seeing the whole moon. And wolves are always awesome. Not sure who the woman is though, sorry.
                    Originally posted by FanGirl View Post
                    Oh, wow! That really is amazing! So powerful yet vulnerable. Red looks as if she's calling to the wolf.
                    Originally posted by Falcon Horus
                    "Seamless composition. Fine use of dark/light balance. Lovely theme."
                    Originally posted by Dellruby View Post
                    Nice, love the colours.
                    Ok, I know I've already commented, but I can't get this out of my head.

The wolf is telling me stories, so the art is speaking to me.
                    I like it
                    Originally posted by taris-eirien View Post
                    I like how the images realistically blend together and really illustrate a story.
                    Originally posted by Little Creek View Post
                    I love wolves! The background is beautiful, with the moonlight shining through the trees, and gives the sig an almost spooky look.
                    Originally posted by bailey1ak
                    The quality is great, but what I love about it though is that the Wolf seems to be the focal point... even for Ruby/Red.
                    Originally posted by Libero View Post
                    I love the sig! Great atmosphere, very mysterious, like a good Grimm fairy-tale.
                    Originally posted by RinkRat View Post
                    Interesting.....
                    Kind of scary with the misty background, howling wolf and full moon.
                    The combination of all the different elements is very good.

This is very well done, I like it!
                    Originally posted by dragongirl View Post
                    It has a soulful/haunted look which is cool. I do notice some branches behind the moon but other than that good composition
                    Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                    Very atmospheric. I like the remote, otherworldly quality.
                    Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                    I love how flawlessly all the pictures are intertwined. I can never make pictures fade/meld together well like that. I might want to pick this person's brain afterwards.

DellRuby
                    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Entry no 2

Very pretty. I like the contrast of texture between Shep and the pebbles on a beach. Bit of a metaphor perhaps?!
                    Originally posted by bailey1ak View Post
                    I love that it looks like Shep's attention is turning toward the observer. I like the contrast of the white stones, the warm tones of Shep and the red brush strokes that were added.
                    Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                    That new set of artwork is very pretty, by the way! Love the use of white and red to contrast with John's penchant for wearing black.
                    I like it too. John looks so mad... It's actually kinda hot.
                    I like it, it has a deep feeling to it. Maybe like there is something beneath the pebbles and maybe Sheppy is hiding something
                    Wow, beautiful set!
                    It has my favorite Sheppard expressions in it: so very, very dangerous!
                    Love the stony background too.
                    The contrast of the muted tones of Shepp and the stones with the small splash of red is sort of understated drama.

It's almost as if the bit of red is what tells him that he's being "watched" by the observer and he's not sure if he likes it.
                    Very nice. Particularly love the use of brushes. And the background pic (rocks), I think, goes well. And I love that the (Sheppard) pics are positioned away from the cirlce (brush?), leaving to stand on it's own. It works!
                    Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                    Oooh, pretty. I like the 3 pictures being in a series, in the way he turns his head around.
                    OMG! Shep is staring right at me in that last picture!
                    I like the different contrasts and textures and colours used, they go very good together.
                    The three expressions.... the look to kill....
                    I Love It!

I love the way the pics show how the character is moving! And the swirly grey brushes across the bottom of the pictures help blend the pics into the rest of the art.
                    I am having issues with this pic, not because it is bad, cause it isn't, but because I am personally far more interested in the background rather than the foreground.
                    When I see that circle and the "splash" in it, I am mentally more drawn to a more "transformative" aspects of the idea, and think more about stuff where John turns into a bug, or stuff from Vegas where it's not exactly "our John" and I sort of expect to see a "non-John, John"
                    I know, I know, too much metaphysics, but that's just the way my brain works.
                    Perfect blend of light colors in the background, and dark in the front. Attention is immediately drawn to Sheppard. I also LOVE the image used for the background, it really sets the mood.
                    sigpic

Comment

post #2

RodneyisGodney

Spoiler:

It reminds me of the new entrance to California Adventure at Disneyland.
                      I like the way to picture is on a bit of an angle, makes it look old.
                      The use of colour also makes it look old.

Wish we had palm trees here..........
                      This is cool!
                      Looks like an old photograph you found in a box back in the cabinet.
                      I like the coloring.

Beautiful colouring and texture!

I forgot to comment on that Los Angeles sig so, here it is... Love the coloring and whatever the effect is is just wonderful. Plus, it's LA...a good thing/place in my book.
                      The coloring is amazing. I haven't been able to do that yet. It looks a faded poster from the '50s.
                      I love the colours!
                      Love time travel, it's the only way to go!
                      Love the coloring that was used. The whites and pinks kind of give it the old Spanish style look of the area. Love the old cars and things too. It would make a great travel poster.
                      Originally posted by iheartshep View Post
                      I love the Los Angeles 1954 photo. It looks like you could be going to the Oscars back in the day!

I assume a texture or filter was used to get the grainy result, which adds an extra layer of age to the image. This could have easily been the front of a postcard. I would have sent it.

Gorgeous! I love classic LA.
                      Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
                      I love that LA Confidential era picture!
                      Very pretty sig. I like the colouring. It gives off a vintage vibe.

shipperwriter
                      fan fic
                      Spoiler:
                      Not surprisingly, Elizabeth Weir was still working when John Sheppard walked in.

“Hey,” he greeted, leaning against the door frame.

She looked up, a glimmer of a smile flashing across her face as she replied. “Hey yourself,” she said, immediately bowing her head again.

“You had dinner yet?”

“Do I ever?”

John exhaled. “No, usually not. Which is probably the reason that Carson has resorted to sending me memos about your health.”

Elizabeth sighed. “I know he’s only looking out for my best interests, but I’m fine. By the time I’m done going through mission reports and status reports, it’s all I can do to drag myself to quarters and pass out.”

John nodded, almost ready to concede the point, until he noticed a silver tumbler on her desk. Steam was escaping, almost imperceptibly, through the spout.

He stuffed his hands in the pockets of his black uniform pants. “Seeing as how that’s probably your fifth cup of coffee today, something tells me that you’re not gonna hit the sack any time soon.”

Elizabeth shut her eyes, then closed her laptop and looked back at John. “What do you want, John?”

“Honestly, I want you to keep your job. And by that, I mean you doing this and not me because you’re not taking any breaks.”

Elizabeth leaned back in her chair, crossing her arms. “I took a break this evening. Ask Chuck.”

“Bathrooms breaks don’t count.”

Elizabeth grunted.

“I just want you to come out to the balcony for five minutes, and then you can work until your hands fall off.”

She gave him a suspicious glare. “For what?”

“No questions, just come with me for a few minutes. That's all I ask."

Elizabeth frowned. "Five minutes."

"Not a second more."

She got up and followed him out, walking behind Chuck's station towards the sliding doors.

When they got there, she was surprised that they weren't alone.

Rodney McKay, Teyla, Carson, and even Ronon stood on the balcony. When they heard the doors open, they turned slightly to face them. Teyla smiled. "I'm glad that you were able to make it, Elizabeth."

She smiled awkwardly. "Made it for what?"

Behind her, John leaned his head inside. "Hit it, Chuck."

A question formed in her mind as the door shut behind them but was silenced as the reflection of the city's lights on the water began to dim.

John tapped his earpiece. "Looks good, Chuck. Sheppard out."

"All right, what's going on?" Elizabeth finally asked, looking at every person standing next to her for an answer.

McKay spoke up. "So earlier today, I was doing a calibration on the long range sensors and I noticed a large debris cloud that intersected with the planet's orbit. Probably left over from a destroyed asteroid or a comet or maybe even a small moon. You know, it's actually interesting--"

"McKay," John hissed through grated teeth.

McKay gave him his patented glare, then looked back at Elizabeth. "The debris cloud should be coming in contact with the atmosphere ... now."

The sky suddenly flashed.

Elizabeth stared at the sky, making her way to the railing. A fireball streamed across the sky, followed by three smaller ones that quickly burnt out. The sky seemed to fizzle as the dust made contact with the outer atmosphere, looking like a golden wave. Shooting stars flooded the night sky.

She gasped. "This is amazing," she murmured, more to herself than anyone.

John's voice suddenly whispered in her ear. "Worth leaving your office for more than five minutes?"

"Yes," she immediately replied before narrowing her eyes. "You said five minutes, no longer."

"Children, stop bickering and enjoy the bloody show," Carson whispered sharply, effectively shutting them up.

For five seconds.

"Yes, Dad."

Elizabeth punched him in the arm.

Spoiler:

Wondered if I should spoiler my thoughts so I don't give away anything in the fic... and so I did.
                      Spoiler:

That was a fun ficlet! Made me remember how much I miss SGA and the Expedition members. I love the thought that Carson sends Shep memos of Weir's health. Also had to grin at him calling them children when they were bickering. Great job, I enjoyed it.
                      Great little fic! I was, obviously, pleased to see Rodney make an appearance. The characters were so spot on I felt like I was watching an episode of the show!
                      I like it...very nice little piece!
                      Loved the dad remark too.
                      A very nice John and Elizabeth story. I like the way the team was included as well.
                      Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                      That is a wonderful little scene - full of character definition
                      Great ficlet, captures the feel of the characters quite well and is the sort of thing that the SGA crew would do to Weir to get her away from her desk for a bit. My only observation would be that I would have just used "Weir" and "Sheppard" or "John" and "Elizabeth" instead of their full names simply because I don't think they "see" each other as "John Sheppard" or "Elizabeth Weir", it just seems a tad too formal.
                      I like that fic too.
                      Oh that's nice! I miss SGA too. Wish we'd seen more scenes like this onscreen. This would've been a great closing scene.
                      This was sweet, and well written! I especially loved the last line.
                      Hahaha! Love it. So cute!
                      Love the little story!
                      So very John and Elizabeth - oh, I remember the good old times ...
                      Fun fic. Everyone is characterised very well. I like Rodney's "patented glare". I can imagine that very well.

Originally posted by zbir View Post
                      Ref.the fan fic: It was lovely written, and it was so great because it was about the team. I loved the deep sensors explanation, and all of their banter!
                      But the sparky in me kind of hoped he was going to propose her, under the meteor shower
                      Great job, nevertheless
                      (I will continue the scene inside my head )
                      Awww, that ficlet is so cute!
                      sigpic

Comment

post #3

Libero

Spoiler:

Very nice. Love the coloring and intense look on KB's face. Love the night scene in the BG.
                        Love it! Love it! Love it! Great show too!
                        The coloring is great and I like the city sceen behind her.
                        It looks like she is there watching over the city. Very cool
                        Nice use of colour and black and white.
                        The background looks great in B&W and the person is good in colour.
                        Nice font as well!
                        I like it...don't know the show, but that makes me want to find out about it.
                        I love the lights in the back ground.
                        Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                        I love this!! But anything from my favorite show that's still on the air is welcome.
                        I like it! It feels like Kate is keeping watch over the entire city and protecting it, both as a NYPD detective and as Castle's fiancee.
                        Beckett

Though a little on the dark side of light and dark, the blending is nicely done. And I really like the placement of the name, and especially the font.
                        Lovely sig. She gives off a sense of mystery.
                        Ok

Entry A
                        Beautiful pic of Kate, but with her as the subject, not too hard......... GOWARROR
                        Great background as well and nice overlay of the headshot as well. Very nicely crafted pic

Dragongirl

Spoiler:

Horses

Squee, I love horses. Nice placement of horses, and text. Good use of font, not too light to be unreadible which does tend to happen sometimes (even when not intended). And I have to admit that the text is very uplifting to me, as is the whole image. It brings comfort at just the right time... A really enjoyable combination of image and text -- they fit and inspire confidence and peace.
                        This one is beautiful!!! Love the pics chosen for it.
                        The image itself is wonderful, but what makes it all great is the wording. I love that the horses can symbolize the "wander" and the birds the "fly". Great coloring too... love it.
                        I LOVE this entry!!!
                        The sunset or is it a sunrise, eagles and horses, I love it all.
                        I like the quote as well, just wish I could follow it.
                        I would like to live where this is, in the country.
                        The use of colour is very dramatic.
                        Beautiful entry "B" - so lovely, and the quote so true.
                        I love this sig!
                        The subject, the colour the quote, perfect!
                        It sings to me of stories running wild!
                        Entry B
                        Definitely more my speed. Everything in the picture serves to tell the story of the quote. Wild dreams, wild horses. Starting somewhere, the animals are all on the left to begin a journey. Time and space, the image is at dusk indicating passage of time and the open plains show space. The horses are wandering, the eagles are flying, like the imagination. I adore the whole thing.
                        sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!
                          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Thank you, mrscopterdoc, for posting all these comments for everyone's work! I think what I probably appreciated, alongside the self-esteem boost, is that it united all parts of fandom, regardless of who our favorite characters are, or who we ship, or what our favorite series was. It was nice to write a piece of work and have it praised by people who may not have read it otherwise just because I usually write in relation to a particular ship. Wonderful job to everyone!

Comment

Thank you, mrscopterdoc, for posting all these comments for everyone's work! I think what I probably appreciated, alongside the self-esteem boost, is that it united all parts of fandom, regardless of who our favorite characters are, or who we ship, or what our favorite series was. It was nice to write a piece of work and have it praised by people who may not have read it otherwise just because I usually write in relation to a particular ship. Wonderful job to everyone!
                              *blushes* thank you! That was pretty much my intent all along.
                              sigpic

Comment

Or that some of those were even connected to a fandom... I had no idea the moon and wolf were a reference to OUAT.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X